Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So i'm sure everyone and their mum has heard or read about how Aeris Death in FF7 is the "Saddest Moment in Gaming" or "The saddest moment on the PS1". However, i've never agreed with that. Sure, if you had invested time in leveling her up, it sucked. All that time gone. But as a character for Cloud to interact with? How much was really there? Especially when you consider the Zack aspect, there really wasn't much besides "Damn, I can't believe Square Enix actually killed the quiet healer character in my party!"

Which is why I want to bring up the actual saddest death on the PS1. Which is Gray Fox from Metal Gear Solid.
Like damn, this death has it all in terms of emotion. Even if you didn't play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, MGS1 presents you with everything you need to take in the impact of this moment.

• Tragic Back Story
  • Amazing VA performance's
  • Character trying to make amends for their past transgressions
  • Being unable to give them their final death wish
  • Numerous quotes to remember them by ("A Cornered Fox, Is more Dangerous than a Jackal!")
  • Terrible death that makes you want to avenge them.
Like god damn. I'm amazed more people never bring up this death when it comes to gaming's saddest moments.
Ever since playing MGS1 on the PSX, this moment has stuck with me forever. It's crazy that a moment like this all the way back on PSX can rival some of the more emotionally charged games released even today. The moment is amplified when you consider the prior Boss Battle as well as the moments he helps you under a alias.

There's just so much weight here in my opinion and I hope this thread can make even just a few people rethink their stance on "The saddest PS1 Moment"

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, you can't say "open spoilers" and then not give a game title. Just spoilers for all things ever?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I felt more when

Dylan and Paula died

in Dino Crisis 2.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dude, you can't say "open spoilers" and then not give a game title. Just spoilers for all things ever?

I was debating on this for awhile. But I didn't want to take away from MGS1, in-case someone still doesn't know. I figure PS1 aficionado's will have played MGS1 by now. Or not care about any spoilers for something they might have missed or skipped.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually when you have to kill the T-Rex in Dino Crisis. He was just following his instincts.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Meh, I cared a lot more about Aeris than I did for Grey Fox. I was only sad because the cool ninja guy who fucked everyone up was gone.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Haven't actually played MGS1 until well into the PS3 era but agreed for the most part. Gray Fox, what a legend. What a homie.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Lisa realizing she's trapped in Silent Hill is a sad moment especially if you've been reading all the diary entries

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sniper Wolf's final moments with Otacon were very sad for a variety of reasons but the haunting combination of the musical score with the howling of the wolves made it something special.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've never found Aerith's death sad personally but I've also never liked FFVII. Im with you Jawmuncher, Grey Fox is much better.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFT

49-capture_03012011_171700.png

FF9 - Anytime we delved into Vivi, basically

ff9vivi-625x352.jpg

But honestly, the real winner is all the sad shit that happens in Chrono Cross. What a fucking sad game.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what I'd call the saddest moment overall myself, but I agree that Gray Fox's death is more impactful than Aeris'. Never really understood why such a big fuss is made of her death. Not that I'm trying to say it's rubbish, I just feel that the majority of the emotion comes from the beautiful music and not much else, whereas every facet of that MGS1 scene comes together perfectly.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know who Gray Fox is, was not familiar with his past relationship with Snake and he doesn't really have much screentime in the game itself. So my strongest feeling during that scene was pretty much "aw, poor Snake."

Also, Aerith is far from a "quiet healer character". She's an eccentric busybody with some violent tendencies. Heck, Tifa is more reserved than her.

Also also, admittedly I haven't played that many PS1 games, but the saddest moment in PS1 history is actually in the first Suikoden.

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Man, I'm just really glad that people are, like, rediscovering their memories, reaffirming how much they loved those games, and how those games were truly made as a form of self expression.

I hated 360/PS3 era up to the point that I stopped buying anything not DS/PSP for years, PC players rushed to the console space and started trashing everything and hating on everything that is not a grey shooter game

you know what? they were wrong all along.

that scene in the op was truly sad and effective, in fact every character in Metal Gear solid had their sad story to share, every single one of them felt like they were searching for an identity, searching for their place and searching for a meaning for their lives

it wasn't only about quality (which was high and very impressive for 1998 and even still good today), it wasn't only about good voice acting and writing

it was about truly expressing the feels of the game's creator, and this is why this game and other games are still remembered fondly even 20 years later.
those games stood the test of time very well, they made an ever-lasting impression on almost anyone who played them.

and the best is yet to come...

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Aeris wasn't shit when I first played through FFVII in '05 and she ain't shit in 2019. Her death didn't affect my party rotations at all, so it was business as usual.

However, I would've been hurting if Tifa or Barret got the business end of Masamune. Those were two characters that meant something to me.

I'm really feeling the MGS and Chrono Cross mentions.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I have played everything commented on this thread and nothing compares to that fucking Klonoa ending. It is harder to digest because it is a game aimed to kids, so for me it was crazy, like a really black joke from Namco.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I felt more when

Dylan and Paula died

in Dino Crisis 2.
When I saw the OP name, I thought for sure it would be the Dino Crisis 2 ending.
Mathiu's death

in Suikoden is pretty sad too.
I don't believe it and I will not believe it.

The biggest reason for that not being the OP, is due to Time Travel and Dino Stalker effectively ruining that ending. Had DC 1 and DC2 been all we ever got with a random DC3 with no connection next.
It would definitely be up there for me. But since it's technically "resolved" albeit poorly, I'm unable to include it personally.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aeris wasn't shit when I first played through FFVII in '05 and she ain't shit in 2019. Her death didn't affect my party rotations at all, so it was business as usual.

However, I would've been hurting if Tifa or Barret got the business end of Masamune. Those were two characters that meant something to me.
my-nigga-gif-7.gif

Fuck Aeris.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Open season on all things? All right let's fucking go!

Boss Key studios shut down after Lawbreakers failed to find an audience.
Hideo Kojima quit Konami and went off to form his own game development studio.
In Metal Gear Solid 2 you actually play as Raiden for most of the game!
Everyone you have ever known has at some point had terrible diarrhea. yes even that person.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You all are wrong, it's Digimon World.

You raise a little baby Digimon and watch it grow from a baby to Ultimate level, only for them to die from old age.

I was very upset when my Metal Greymon died from old age, I worked so hard to get him.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City

I'm really feeling the MGS and Chrono Cross mentions.

If this ain't the TRUTH!

Players be seeing this shit:
tenor.gif

And go "OMFG Aerith's death is SO SAD!"

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Ive been saddest in a video game ending with the whole MGS 4 epilogue and the post credits debriefing scene.

Edit: Oh specifically PS1 era. I would nominate the Leon Ada scene at the end of RE2

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I actually forgot about that scene in MGS1. I first played it in the late 2000s and I was like "is this really a PS1 game?" I can't say I was tearing up or anything, but I was definitely glued to the screen.

I have played everything commented on this thread and nothing compares to that fucking Klonoa ending. It is harder to digest because it is a game aimed to kids, so for me it was crazy, like a really black joke from Namco.
Damn, I really need to play Klonoa 1. I only played the sequel on GBA, Dream Tournament.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Nah, plenty of stuff from the ps1 era gave me a much more impactful emotional punch. Your example in the OP wasn't even that great, imo.

Suikoden 2, for example, has so many scenes with very strong emotional impact, much more effective than anything MGS threw at you, at least in my opinion.