NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Mega Man Legends 2. Mega Man, the true savior of the wasteland, is forced to spend the rest of his days, possibly eternity, all alone on the moon.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The moment when Zidane found out the truth about himself and when this song was playing had me on the verge of tears. The Aeris moment was more shocking than sad to me.

Also when Vivi found out the truth about himself

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Wrong, Aeris death still hurts me to this day. Everything about her character, personality, main healer role and being integral part of the story had me fully invested in her. To lose her all of sudden just leaves this big hole inside you.

Oct 27, 2017
Aerith's death is a good scene, but not even the most emotional in FFVII. Red XIII finding out the truth about his father was probably at the top.

I love MGS, but I don't think I ever had a strong emotional response to anything in the series before MGS3.

FFIX is a masterpiece of earnest emotional vulnerability for that era. Multiple scenes relating to Vivi, Garnet, and Freya are powerful and heartbreaking.

I also find the tragedy angle common in Matsuno's works to be effective at pulling at the heartstrings as well. The ending of FFT and especially the fate of Lanselot Hamilton in Tactics Ogre (if that counts for PS1) are quite good.

I really need to play Suikoden at some point. I recently played through Chrono Cross for the first time and can't say that it made me feel much of anything, however. The music is obviously superb and does what it can to carry the emotions of certain scenes, but I found much of the writing to be honestly dreadful.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Grey Fox and Sniper Wolf were better done scenes. But with Aeris you lose a party member you've spent time with. You don't really experience loss with Grey Fox or Sniper Wolf. And since Aeris's death was a big deal, I'm guessing it was one of the first video game deaths people were exposed to.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, it's def Vivi's letter at the end of ff9 and it's not even close.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
[Open spoilers from an unknown game you won't learn of until clicking] is kinda silly. On topic、I didn't feel that moved from that moment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden II has MULTIPLE scenes with more emotional resonance and weight than Aeris dying.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Metal Gear Solid, I've been moved by Metal Gear Solid, but I too can't help but laugh watching its cutscenes out of context. What gets me is when Snake and Gray Fox are having that melodramatic talk behind the crate while Liquid in Rex (the mech) is just fucking pacing there hardly attempting to find them. That's kind of how the whole game is; Snake is constantly having long-winded conversations at inappropriate times and places, so by the point of this cutscene late in the game one often just accepts that's how Metal Gear's world works.
I think anyone who watches anime or reads comics/manga, or plays JRPGs, is probably used to this tho. For me, it hardly registers anymore.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid is a little too silly for any of the tragedies to have any impact. It is fun, ridiculous, pastiche that feels infatuated with american action films (and spy novels). It never really feels rooted enough to have any kind of emotional import.

The comparison of these two games is also another excellent example of how no voice acting is more powerful than bad voice acting. Even with a poorly translated script, Final Fantasy 7 is able to hit harder as it isn't undone by its hokey dub.

I still really enjoy the original Metal Gear Solid. I think it is a great game. However, it has almost no impact, on an emotional level, for me. It never has.

Nah, plenty of stuff from the ps1 era gave me a much more impactful emotional punch. Your example in the OP wasn't even that great, imo.

Suikoden 2, for example, has so many scenes with very strong emotional impact, much more effective than anything MGS threw at you, at least in my opinion.

Suikoden 2 definitely hits harder than either Final Fantasy 7 or Metal Gear Solid. Absolutely.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Aeris wasn't shit when I first played through FFVII in '05 and she ain't shit in 2019. Her death didn't affect my party rotations at all, so it was business as usual.

However, I would've been hurting if Tifa or Barret got the business end of Masamune. Those were two characters that meant something to me.

I'm really feeling the MGS and Chrono Cross mentions.

I wish to this day I could let Tifa take that sword to the gut instead of Aerith. Real talk.

The BoF4 scene was pretty fucked up, as was the orphanage scene in Chrono Cross.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, plenty of stuff from the ps1 era gave me a much more impactful emotional punch. Your example in the OP wasn't even that great, imo.

Suikoden 2, for example, has so many scenes with very strong emotional impact, much more effective than anything MGS threw at you, at least in my opinion.

Konami was great at telling stories during that period. Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Suikoden, and even the Vandal Hearts games were pretty good.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
OP, you got the right game but the wrong scene. It's obviously
Sniper Wolf.

The ff7 scene didn't hit very hard for me, but maybe because I liked Tifa better, and some little shit spoiled it for me at lunch in middle school anyway.

Jun 4, 2018
The saddest moment of MGS1 was Meryl riding off into the sunset set with Snake, wearing Dave's vest.

1-pn231.png

latest

Hence Solid Snake's real name, "David."

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Klonoa's ending gets me every time, but my heart breaks every time Vivi has to see all those Black Mages fall overboard in FF9 too. The poor little man was going through some serious identity issues already, and seeing his people just drop like lifeless cargo is rough.

Good shout on the Suikoden mentions too.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Aerith's death is more impactful because the game is melodramatic (not a dirty word) and that builds up your connection with the characters more.

In terms of the death scene itself I think sniper wolf's is better in terms of plot and dialogue, but Aeriths is better in terms of direction.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm a huge MGS stan and love the original with all my heart, but it was not remotely sad. This is action movie shit, and honestly THAT specific part of the performance is so over the top that it's hard to take it any other way.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily argue that Aerith's death is the absolute saddest moment of all time or anything but the way the OP is downplaying its impact and the character herself is just asinine. Calling her a shy healer character makes me wonder if they've even actually played the game or just watched the death cutscene on youtube.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think the moment that really makes his death so memorable is when Snake lies to Naomi that Fox said he'd always loved her.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Aerith death more shocked me that made me sad actually. Also, when it comes to MGS I fell that Sniper Wolf death cutscene with Otacon was way sadder. Personally, for me, the biggest of all in that era was Nanami's "death" in Suikoden 2. I was CRUSHED.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I thought this was going to be a thread about Klonoa's ending, but it turns out that the OP dropped the ball massively.

Gray Fox's death isn't even in the top 10 all-time saddest PS1 moments m8, get with it.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest reason for that not being the OP, is due to Time Travel and Dino Stalker effectively ruining that ending. Had DC 1 and DC2 been all we ever got with a random DC3 with no connection next.
It would definitely be up there for me. But since it's technically "resolved" albeit poorly, I'm unable to include it personally.

Wow! I did not know this.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The saddest thing for me with the PS1 is that we lost the fantastic booting sound with the PS2 and onwards.

I never gave a fuck about Aerith and all deaths in MGS made me laugh (especially Sniper Wolf, the "iraqi/kurdish" pale blond woman that tell you her story for what felt like an hour while slowly dying... yeah, totally not boring).

Frankly, the only reason i'd have been sad for Aerith death would have if she had important materias equipped. So i would have been sad for the death of the materias, not the character.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I can't tell you how much I didn't care about Gray Fox

I just remember being annoyed that they had Greg Eagles voice him, and then it turns out that he's some white blonde guy. Darth Vader all over again.