• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
if the official song lyrics have it then i don't see the problem singing it. if it makes you uncomfortable saying it then don't but that's your thing.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding a Racial Slur
No. "Bitch" and "ho" can be distasteful and misogynistic but they're not racially charged and also I'm a big girl who can say swears now.

Bitch is used to dehumanise and denigrate. You're not a woman you're a bitch.

I find all the white people who come in threads like this so hypocritical.

I've no problem rapping along to all the other horrendous shit in hip-hop but heaven forbid I say the n word when I'm alone.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I self censor myself all the time with lyrics from Women artists, for example:

Stripes on my ass so he call this pussy Tigger
Fuckin' on a scammin' ass, rich ass nigga
Same group of bitches, ain't no adding to the picture
Drop a couple racks, watch this ass get bigger
Drinkin' on liquor, and I'm lookin' at your nigga
If his money right, he can eat it like a Snicker

I'm not singing along out loud to all of that. So I don't see an issue with non Black people skipping the N-Word/using a substitution with rap songs.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As a black woman(tm), if I had no choice but to be denigrated and dehumanized, I'd rather be called a bitch than a nigger.

You know. Just something about that 400 year concentrated history of destroying and disenfranchising my folks directly underneath the banner of the word that gives it a bit more 'spice' than "bitch," yanno?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It creates a division. That is clear to everyone I think. You agree, I hope.
You do not say some words because they are racist, etc... That is not bringing us together that is also separating and very negative.
But you can belong to a group based on different criteria. And to me, if you are fans of someone this creates a bond between other fans. And if you are excluded of saying things then you are out of that group.
Like some say already, color wasn't the metric, now you say that only black people can say it. Which of course leads to other problems. And that has been laid out already on this thread, but nobody likes to pick that up. That's because like so many things it isn't as simple as it seems on the surface.
And it is not about saying that word. I think that anybody can avoid that word. I never ever say it, maybe only if I listen to rap (but that is pretty limited). It is much deeper then that.
But like I said I don't say it and I wouldn't say it if it offends people.
About the connection thing, you gloss over that much to easily and quickly imo.
If I gloss over some ethereal sense of connection it's because I'm interested in facts, not feels. And no, I don't think it creates a division, at least not one of any consequence that would have a net benefit compared to saying the word, but even if you're arguing ti does it creates more of a division for white people to be saying that word.

You're coming from a white perspective saying it creates division, don't you the the inherent flaw in that argument?

Nov 16, 2017
It doesn't seem anyone has addressed this but:

About ten years ago I didn't even know this existed. Came up when a friend made a character in WoW using just his initials. He thought it was funny that it was literally unpronounceable. Jgj. Saying "Jay-gee-Jay" felt awkward eventually he got nicknamed Jig, then Jigga. That went on for like two months when someone new joined the guild and was like "EXCUSE THE FUCK OUTTA ME!?"

We had know idea and we were mortified. just started calling him by his real life first name after that and eventually he got a name change on the character.
I've heard of Jiggaboo but really Jay Z's nickname is Jigga

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

I've no problem rapping along to all the other horrendous shit in hip-hop but heaven forbid I say the n word when I'm alone.
Honestly dude, it's a fair criticism, and I apologize if I've been speaking too loud on this issue. I'm def not saying I have authority. I asked my friends to tell me if what I was saying was not right or if I was taking it too far because I don't want to monopolize the conversation, but at the same time I hate that they can see and participate in these threads over and over again saying the same shit and having to shoulder that burden when I'm sitting here and can maybe try to talk it out with my fellow white dudes.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's like saying The UK or The US is racist. You're generalising the way racists do (all blacks, arabs, etc. are...).
Are there racists in France? Yes, of course. But (in my experience) most people (I've encountered) aren't.

On topic : I think if the word is in a sing, then anyone should be able to use THE WORD, in context (sing for example).
Yes the UK, France, and USA are racist.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain when the n-word is a derogatory word that was used for blacks in the slavery days by racist scum, why do black folks use it so often for each other? It makes no sense when you want people to stop using this word but that same group uses that word like its nothing. I am not native to US so I am trying to understand this.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

I'm white-ish. I don't think I've said anything hypocritical, and I'm in this thread to learn. And see if my instincts about this stuff are Ok.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they don't white people to use it then don't put it in a song in a Cachy way

Or even better ... don't use the N word anymore
They are allowed to express themselves how they want and you and your white ears are irrelevant to their album/song making process. Lol @ tone policing how people talk.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly couldn't give a shit if white people self censor rap music, this is one of the least important things that I concern myself with in America as a black man. It's a -2/10 on the list of insensitive racism white people do.

Be mindful of who you are singing around. If you have someone sensitive to it like the OP, then mind your mouth, also around strangers, you don't know what the fuck they are about and you might get bopped on the noggin for it. You have no high ground to argue the point, just be mindful, it's not hard.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain when the n-word is a derogatory word that was used for blacks in the slavery days by racist scum, why do black folks use it so often for each other? It makes no sense when you want people to stop using this word but that same group uses that word like its nothing. I am not native to US so I am trying to understand this.

I have women friends who when together call each other bitch in an endearing way. I, knowing this, somehow have the self control to not call them bitch, both because I don't have the urge to call them bitch, and because I don't think they'd appreciate me calling them bitch. It's also not their responsibility to control whether or not I call women bitches.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remove all curse words, slurs, even saying things like "Jesus Christ" from my daily vocabulary. Takes a bit of mental effort but I've noticed a serious decline in all of it so I'm happy with the progress but trying to bring it all down to zero in time.

Nov 28, 2017
I'm trying to remove all curse words, slurs, even saying things like "Jesus Christ" from my daily vocabulary. Takes a bit of mental effort but I've noticed a serious decline in all of it so I'm happy with the progress but trying to bring it all down to zero in time.
Why the fuck would you do that? You're just making shit harder for yourself. And Jesus Christ? How is a name of a mythological creature a swear word, for Odin's sake?

Anyway, studies have shown:
https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
As others have said, the fact that someones feel a desire or need to say the word should disqualify them from saying the word.

Being white and playing the victim because you can't say or sing that word is some of the dumbest, most self entitled bullshit I've ever come across .

Spock

Oct 27, 2017

I natrually don't swear much or often in person. Because of that, when you do curse, it stands out, and makes a much bigger impact.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
If I gloss over some ethereal sense of connection it's because I'm interested in facts, not feels. And no, I don't think it creates a division, at least not one of any consequence that would have a net benefit compared to saying the word, but even if you're arguing ti does it creates more of a division for white people to be saying that word.

You're coming from a white perspective saying it creates division, don't you the the inherent flaw in that argument?
You are trying to swath away the connection by saying that it is ethereal. That doesn't work. Have you heard of psychology and such?
So you say you are not interested in feels in a thread that basically is about feelings around a word? That to me doesn't make sense. Unless I misunderstand it.
Why not abandon the word entirely? That way the benefit is even greater.
And in my thinking, it creates a division. There are words that some groups can say but the other groups cannot.
This whole word is about the connection in a group imo.
But if I am honest (and this is not the case here because we have a different language) if I grew up with blacks as friends then maybe I would see things differently, but I would hope that if I was with him or her that I could say anything that he can say. That we know each other through and through that it wouldn't be a problem anymore.
Also shouldn't these rappers stop saying b*tches to? I read the link here about reappropriation and how feminists wanted to have the word b*tch to themselves. Why is it ok for rappers to say these things but care if others say the word, that is pretty hypocritical,no ? And I find the word b*tch pretty offensive.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There should seriously be a Black Mirror episode where White folks go mute for a period of time every time they attempt to sing along to the n-word. White folks would vote it hands down the scariest episode of the series and it would be an all-time horror classic.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You are trying to swath away the connection by saying that it is ethereal. That doesn't work. Have you heard of psychology and such?
Yes. Cite a psychology paper about the necessity of the N-word being used by whites bringing people together. You can't just say "psychology" and offer no citations.
So you say you are not interested in feels in a thread that basically is about feelings around a word? That to me doesn't make sense. Unless I misunderstand it.
Because there is a very real history and hurt behind the word. There is an objective context you can point to. There are real consequences for its use.
Why not abandon the word entirely? That way the benefit is even greater.
Because only a terrible person if they are white would try to tell black people they can't use the word.
But if I am honest (and this is not the case here because we have a different language) if I grew up with blacks as friends then maybe I would see things differently, but I would hope that if I was with him or her that I could say anything that he can say. That we know each other through and through that it wouldn't be a problem anymore.
Yes, maybe you would, because you obviously have a very limited perspective.
Also shouldn't these rappers stop saying b*tches to? I read the link here about reappropriation and how feminists wanted to have the word b*tch to themselves. Why is it ok for rappers to say these things but care if others say the word, that is pretty hypocritical,no ? And I find the word b*tch pretty offensive.
That's a whole different conversation. We've had that thread before but you could make one again.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain when the n-word is a derogatory word that was used for blacks in the slavery days by racist scum, why do black folks use it so often for each other?
Language reppropriation. Different groups- marginalized or otherwise- do it all the time.

It makes no sense when you want people to stop using this word but that same group uses that word like its nothing.
It makes perfect sense. In-groups can use language within their unique contexts out-groups cannot. This happens all the time.

Like, people don't get confused when someone in a monogamous relationship gets mad when someone hits on their partner. No one says "If you don't want me calling your wife honey, you can't call her honey."

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These threads ALWAYS devolve into the same arguments.

If you aren't black, don't use the word, especially in public. If you do it alone no one is going to stop you from saying your precious word, lmao.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
you and i both remember it im sure, Lionpride going on and on about how he should be able to say bitch and how there was nothing wrong with the word
I don't understand what that has to do with anything here? If you have a problem with them you would have to talk to them, right? He's a friend, I don't agree with him on that issue but that's neither here nor there and I don't think he even posts here anymore so I don't get why you would bring him up.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what that has to do with anything here? If you have a problem with them you would have to talk to them, right? He's a friend, I don't agree with him on that issue but that's neither here nor there and I don't think he even posts here anymore so I don't get why you would bring him up.
It's a pretty obvious parallel.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Yesterday my friend and I were playing some videogames with our rap music blaring in my living room. Just having a jolly good time and rapping along with the songs. In one of the verses when the N bomb was dropped I went silent and he yelled it out. Then he looked at me in an awkward silence for about a minute then was like "Why?"
I'm like "I dunno, I just dont say the word"
he was like "ok"

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm white as snow and I absolutely used to be the type of person who would only use the word when singing along to certain songs. A few years ago there was a thread here about Kendrick Lamar calling out a fan for using it when he called them up to the stage during one of his performances. While I think it was kind of a weird thing for him to do during a live performance, it got me thinking about the types of things white people do that normalize really harmful language that no one has any business using. Additionally, I as a privileged white dude have zero business telling PoC which words they should and shouldn't be using. At the end of the day I can only be responsible for my own actions and using the behavior of others to justify my own use of the word was incredibly misguided and I regret it.

Since then I don't say the word any time I sing along to a song, I instead replace it with "ninja" which sounds different enough that people won't mishear it but also doesn't throw off the flow. Plus, it's just damn fun to turn a bunch of classic rap jams into songs about ninjas 😂.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It's the rapper's words. That would be like saying, "well I was out the other day and heard a Black guy say the Word when expressing himself while talking, so I felt like I could say it right back! Nah, that's not how it works. They can say the word in their music, if you're not Black, don't do it. It's really not that hard people.

As for the argument some are making that "there shouldn't be a word only one race can use"! The good news is, there's not! Nobody will stop you from using the word. It's a choice not to be a racist asshole is all, and allows you to show you understand why not using the word is important considering its racist history. Go ahead, shout it aloud while you are alone, you'll see, the government won't come for you, hell, the current government might even give you a reward!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
you jealous? theres enough Mona to go around

Yeah so jelly I don't have white friends around so they can use rap as an excuse to yell slurs at me
It's the rapper's words. That would be like saying, "well I was out the other day and heard a Black guy say the Word when expressing himself while talking, so I felt like I could say it right back! Nah, that's not how it works. They can say the word in their music, if you're not Black, don't do it. It's really not that hard people.

Especially since the rappers themselves always have an edit of the song without that word and others.

If Kendrick performs his own songs saying "hitta" instead of "nigga", then so can anyone else