ronco2000

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Time for me to kickstart that BeerStream idea. Will be waiting patiently for the call from Anheuser or Busch.

imrs.php

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/20/investing/pepsico-sodastream/index.html

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There are already home brewing DIY products. Sold in the same aisle as Sodastream here in Australia. Might be an American puritanical thing to sell beer like that in a grocery store? US also had dry counties etc.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SodaStream concentrates suck so much. I only use it for carbonised water nowadays. One time I managed to get one of those big boxes of Coca Cola concentrate from McDonalds and it was awesome.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Nice. Personally i've never used Sodastream, since we got the option for sparkling water straight from the fridge (just add any lemonade to my liking if i want), but i know a lot of people who use it.
Let's see how long before this thread is all about boycotting Pepsi, Israel sucks etc.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The fuck does this have to do with apartheid????? Era, you're drunk now! Stop derailing threads barely 10 posts in.

while i am drunk: check that thread, sodastream is part of the boycott/divest/sanction list as a means of nonviolent protest of occupied palestine against isreal's humanitarian violations. coke was already on said list (last i checked), seeing pepsi tie their brand in with another such company is disappointing, to say the least.

it's very much not derailing - this is information more folks should know about, before supporting said companies and - by proxy - the atrocities they're contributing to.

inb4 NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION UNDER CAPITALISM meme that entirely disregards context/cause/etc

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
There are already home brewing DIY products. Sold in the same aisle as Sodastream here in Australia. Might be an American puritanical thing to sell beer like that in a grocery store? US also had dry counties etc.

Completely depends on localities. Here in Ohio everywhere has beer, including drive-thrus. Tons of local grocery chains also have liquor stores contained within. My local Acmes (a large chain here) have entire aisles dedicated to hard liquor.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pepsi needs to get on the fucking ball with Pepsi Spire, their version of Coca-Cola Freestyle.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to want a SodaStream, until I heard about them exploding and crippling people.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I use my sodastream to recarbonate beer, but damn if I didn't think this company was just doing okay. 3.2 billion dollars is insane.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Not sure what you're after with the Beerstream but check out Heineken's Sub. That's quite decent.

The sub is pretty poor, I think, but the Phillips PerfectDraft is basically the lead product that I think will ultimately be looked back on as the genesis of a category. (I've owned both). Larger kegs, better refrigeration, better carbonation as the keg depletes, better choice of kegs - providing you like European lagers and IPAs, anyway.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I love my SodaStream. Hate all the concentrates though. Give me Pepsi Max concentrate and I would be very happy.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So if you bought a sodastream do you have to use their bottles of concentrate stuff? Or can you go to Makro/Costco and buy the official Coca-Cola syrup bags and use those with it?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's weird this formerly naff British firm is still going, in the seventies the drinks were fucking terrible, now its worth billions.

Oct 29, 2017
The sub is pretty poor, I think, but the Phillips PerfectDraft is basically the lead product that I think will ultimately be looked back on as the genesis of a category. (I've owned both). Larger kegs, better refrigeration, better carbonation as the keg depletes, better choice of kegs - providing you like European lagers and IPAs, anyway.
Oh yeah, the PerfectDraft is fantastic but a bit pricey, the Sub is great as entry-level and I'd say more comparable to the Soda Stream because of that.

I do definitely prefer the Sub over bottles and cans though. For what you get, anyway. As the only way to get some of the best beers available is from bottles.

Nov 1, 2017
They just started exploding in popularity here too. Within the span of a month, two friends picked one up and so did my mother.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Between this and Sabra, PepsiCo sure is making big investments in the business of supporting apartheid and illegal settlements. Looking at a list of their products and the only one I remember buying in recent memory is Quaker Oatmeal, which I can live without.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they plan to use the SodaStream tech to push out new Pepsi machines similar to the Coke fountains you see everywhere now, hence the price, mostly paying for patents.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing (or doesn't matter for the consumer at all). But the Sodastream is probably my favorite purchase of the year. Doesn't save a lot of money compared to buying sparkling water but it saves you carrying and returning the crates. I know, tap water is basically free but I like my water sparkling. I don't use the concentrates, though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Brought one, love the idea but the syrups always tasted off. Like bad coffee medicine

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
I have one - use it with those water flavour enhancers, rather than buying the syrup.

I hope Pepsi doesn't mess with them.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Was never a fan of the SodaStream. It gives sparkling water large unsatisfying bubbles. Perrier or other store bought sparkling water have much smaller bubbles and more of a bite to them. Why is that?

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever do buy one of these...do not put the syrup in it until AFTER you've made it sparkling water. The result will be a launched bottle and an hour or so wiping your kitchen down. I learned that lesson the hard way.