Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original game was a 10/10 masterpiece.

But that was that for the franchise so far.

So I don't really know what to expect from this.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It is SHOCKING how much stuff "insiders" pulled directly out of their ass on this one

-It's 3rd Person
-Set in the PD universe, but not REALLY PD

Etc.

I want to know what those insiders are saying/thinking now. It spread so far. It was almost like it was all confirmed and just needed MS to show it.

I was so hyped with everyone saying it was third person then to be let-down with the unveiling of it supposedly being another fps (I was so psyched at actually seeing Joanna as we played).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
personally i hope it's perfect dark but you do you

Well it could be both, Perfect Dark had some immersive sim elements to it anyway

All they'd need to change really would be to add a few more ways to complete objectives rather than have each objective only have one correct way of completing it

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already love the vibe of the story that the trailer is hinting at. Eco sci-fi, espionage and mega-corporations. I know I will love it. Especially with the tragic lack of sequel to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
That dataDyne reveal, just mwwwah *chef kiss*

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's the appeal of Perfect Dark other than "Hey I remember that"?

Well it's a shooter that isn't tied to the way most shooters seem to play these days

It's slower paced, more story driven, lots of gadgets and a gameplay loop built around exploring levels to complete objectives before escaping

If they opt to make a game like the original, then there isn't that much that's really close to it in the AAA space at present. It's probably closer to Prey or Dishonoured than Call of Duty or Doom or Destiny

The original also had amazing MP, co-op and even counter-op modes, and bot matches with programmable AI

Seeing all those ideas expanded on with modern tech would be really cool if they can pull it off

Dr. Wario

User requested ban
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Seeing another Rare IP getting revived gives me hope for Banjo.

On a more related note: I cannot fucking wait for this!

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
The original game was a 10/10 masterpiece.

But that was that for the franchise so far.

So I don't really know what to expect from this.

With this being made by a brand new studio with no track record, other than the pedigree of the team MS have put together, best to keep an open mind. The quality of the other Perfect Dark games is irrelevant.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's a shooter that isn't tied to the way most shooters seem to play these days

It's slower paced, more story driven, lots of gadgets and a gameplay loop built around exploring levels to complete objectives before escaping

If they opt to make a game like the original, then there isn't that much that's really close to it in the AAA space at present. It's probably closer to Prey or Dishonoured than Call of Duty or Doom or Destiny

The original also had amazing MP, co-op and even counter-op modes, and bot matches with programmable AI

Seeing all those ideas expanded on with modern tech would be really cool if they can pull it off

It still amazes me how many different crazy weapons there were.
The X-Files feeling was never really reproduced in any game after it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It still amazes me how many different crazy weapons there were.
The X-Files feeling was never really reproduced in any game after it.

Yeah they have modern military style weapons, sci-fi style weapons, then there are two factions of aliens, each with their own unique alien weapons, plus all the weapons from Goldeneye as well, and gadgets that can be used in combat

And every single weapon has a secondary fire mode

Stuff like the laptop gun (assault rifle you can throw onto a wall where it will act as a turret for you) and the Farsight (sniper rifle that can see and fire through all walls) and grenades that bounce around rooms until they hit someone are just pure fun

All this in an N64 game as well

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It is SHOCKING how much stuff "insiders" pulled directly out of their ass on this one

-It's 3rd Person
-Set in the PD universe, but not REALLY PD

Etc.
Yep.

And the sad thing is these insiders were absolutely killing my hype for this game. All I kept saying was no I just want a faithful next gen PD dammit and I had been begrudgingly convinced it wasn't happening.

I'm so God damned hyped now, even tho it's definitely gonna be a long wait lol.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really like what they did with the setting. The world seems to be in an interesting place from the get go and pretty different from most shooters/worlds out there.
Having it set in the area of the Nile is also fantastic! It gives the possibility of really cool future stuff combined with a rich history that is not played out as a setting.

Looking forward to it. For some reason I also got some Hitman vibes from the trailer, if they design for free flow gameplay with this one it would be absolutely fantastic!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Spy games (MGS, Deus EX, Splinter Cell) are dead. Perfect Dark now sits alone in a unique AAA position. Perhaps PD can inspire these games to come back.

Imagine telling someone in 2012 that it seems unlikely that we'll get any more MGS, Deus Ex or Splinter Cell games, but there would be a AAA Perfect Dark on the way

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Having it set in the area of the Nile is also fantastic! It gives the possibility of really cool future stuff combined with a rich history that is not played out as a setting.

The original game had Joanna going all over the world, and even in space/on alien spacecrafts and on alien planets, so I'm hoping Egypt is only one level of the game

It's also why I hope it's not an open world game, as this would limit the globe trotting. I'd prefer huge open levels

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It needs to be toned down compared to the original game, but I wouldn't mind if they at least hinted at there being something larger at play.
Hinted at!? Nah. I agree the campiness of it can be toned down a bit, but I'd still prefer the story to go down that road in a big way.

We don't have enough of that in AAA games and I miss it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's a spy shooter with a really cool aesthetic and gadgets. People have been attached to a Perfect Dark revival because it could be almost anything. It could be an Arkane style immersive sim, it could be a MGS/Splinter Cell replacement, it could be a James Bond-style game. Perfect Dark occupies a special place in the revival sphere because everyone who played it can imagine completely different and yet perfectly fitting directions for the re-imagining to go. I've felt for a long time that Perfect Dark was Microsoft's dormant IP with the most potential. Whatever it ends up, I am thrilled they're giving it a go.

Beyond that, Joanna Dark is cool.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Extremely well said, oni-link.

While the original game isn't exactly something I can safely recommend anyone to go back and play today, I do still actually re-download and replay the XBLA/Rare Replay rerelease of Perfect Dark from time to time and still have a blast. It was a game that felt great its release to me, and still feels great and unique to me today.

I don't really want or expect the new one to be modeled after the original, and frankly I was disappointed in Zero even back in 2005, but I am super glad and grateful that the IP is being revived in some fashion and I'm hoping it at least captures the spirit of the original in terms of blending the really fun mixup of weapons and gadgets and varied mission gadgets.

This teaser is genuinely exciting to me, and it's odd because the teaser both establishes a shift in narrative hook (original was kind of a mix of campy sci-fi and campy spy tropes whereas this one is apparently dire and grave ecological disaster, at least to start) that seems to signal a pretty radical departure as a reboot, aside from espionage being done against corporate entities and uncovering world-altering implications.

Not a single lick of gameplay yet but I don't care, I just... can't wait to see more of this. I can't wait to play another Perfect Dark. My only hope is that it actually feels like a contemporary powerhouse instead of an underbaked launch title like Zero -- that's literally the only expectation I'm going to hold this new studio to when making this game no matter where things go from here.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see more. Even if it doesn't capture the same feeling as the original, the pitch sounds great on its own.

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of the storms and disasters? As some one who doesn't remember much of the originals how do you guys think this will play into actual story/gameplay. I vaguely remember pyramids in zero but the first felt much more blade runner. Which I'm not getting much from this new trailer.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Hinted at!? Nah. I agree the campiness of it can be toned down a bit, but I'd still prefer the story to go down that road in a big way.

We don't have enough of that in AAA games and I miss it.
If they can pull it off, then I'm all for it too. One option is to go down a V-like route (only without the aliens being public). With the corporations being tools to conquer Earth.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
We got a new Fable, a new Perfect Dark, a new Rare IP, a new Age of Empires, Hellblade 2, Obsidian/InXile/Bethesda RPG wombo combo, Halo returning to it's roots and more. For the first time since the 360 it truly feels like we are getting a golden age of Xbox games.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Someone found the original song. 'Cruel World' from Phantogram.

I really like the remix with the instruments in the trailer. I don't know if this is indicative but it has the vibes of the music of the original game to me, reminds me Blade Runner 2049 and dataDyne Extraction with these percussions, especially the last bit with the logo title.

Can't wait to know who will be the composer.

What's the point of the storms and disasters? As some one who doesn't remember much of the originals how do you guys think this will play into actual story/gameplay. I vaguely remember pyramids in zero but the first felt much more blade runner. Which I'm not getting much from this new trailer.

No idea, the Rare games didn't have this eco sci-fi aspect.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Time to dig up Perfect Dark one and Zero.

It's gun play was pretty cool, a lot of creative weapons which leads to fun encounters.

Any one know if the Perfect Dark Zero servers still up, I wouldn't mind trying to set up an MP game if it still is.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Of all the Microsoft (and Rare's) IP to get a reboot, this is one of the least exciting to me by far.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
No smoke to this game, the trailer looks pretty good. But damn, building a dream team to re-reboot a franchise who's only beloved entry was 20 years ago.

Imo a big problem with latter-day Microsoft is their franchise-first approach to development teams. 343 has always been the Halo Studio. Turn Ten Forza. Black Tusk / Coalition was founded to make a AAA spy game (which honestly might've been PD), and is now the Gears of War steward. It seems the Initiative was specifically assembled to make this game, for no other reason than Ms owns the trademark.

It's a new generation. This is the best time to prioritize original properties.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Ken Lobb the mastermind

(January 2015)
"Maybe we'll see another Joanna Dark game with Joanna by 2020. That would be an interesting year to bring her back," he said.
www.gamespot.com

Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and More Will Return Eventually

"We have surprises in store in the near and long future," Ken Lobb says.

Imagine telling someone in 2012 that it seems unlikely that we'll get any more MGS, Deus Ex or Splinter Cell games, but there would be a AAA Perfect Dark on the way

And a new James Bond game with a pasionnate and talented team at IOI (last one was in 2012 and very very bad it seems).

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo happy with this announcement. As soon as I saw the laptop gun, I screamed. Let's go!!!!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The original game had Joanna going all over the world, and even in space/on alien spacecrafts and on alien planets, so I'm hoping Egypt is only one level of the game

It's also why I hope it's not an open world game, as this would limit the globe trotting. I'd prefer huge open levels

Sure, cool with me - but having an area that's basically known as the cradle of civilization also being the last stand during ecological devastation feels like the devs are going into the right direction when it comes to world building.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think that the two dashes after the game's name in the logo are supposed to evoke 'Perfect Dark II'?

Oct 28, 2017
Someone found the original song. 'Cruel World' from Phantogram.

I really like the remix with the instruments in the trailer. I don't know if this is indicative but it has the vibes of the music of the original game to me, reminds me Blade Runner 2049 and dataDyne Extraction with these percussions, especially the last bit with the logo title.

Can't wait to know who will be the composer.

No idea, the Rare games didn't have this eco sci-fi aspect.

Thanks. Its a strange setting considering the originals setting would have been just fine by todays expectations. Surely this will come into gameplay some how, other wise why set it during a crazy storm lol.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
So is the whole secret Ailen motif done with in favor of a eco threat Jesus I hope not maybe the corporations are secretly terraforming the earth for a Aiken invasion.
Perfect Dark is equally sci-fi as well as espionage thriller and there better be a Elvis equivalent.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I'm optimistic about this, because of the sheer amount of talent The Initiative has hired. They are stacked with some incredible talent.

Seeing CG however does little to nothing for me. The only bit of the trailer I really needed was the last shot of her in Egypt and the logo reveal.