Have you ever played a Persona 3 game before?

• Yes! I have played a different version of Persona 3 in the past!

Votes: 899 68.6%
  • No! Persona 3 Reload will be my first time experiencing Persona 3!

Votes: 411 31.4%

• Total voters

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mitsuru is an off-healer at best. She's all about the heavy magic damage.

P3's plot is very backloaded compared to 4 and 5. It'll start kicking into gear in (month spoiler) ---July-- and then the second half of the game is where Real Shit goes down.
Mitsuru is not a healer though.
I got away with MC, Aki, Mitsuru, and Koromaru being my main party in FES. She's not a dedicated healer but that's what I used. My second playthrough I used Ken instead. But after hearing about arguments for Yukari, I think I'm sold on her now.

If I pay seven fragments today, they count towards the total needed for the catch-up. So I can pay the rest if I go back to Tartarus tomorrow. You can do the catch-up as many times as you want as long as you have fragments.

Mitsuru isn't a healer anymore. I don't think she even gets any heal spells in reload. She's straight up damage and status ailments.
I'm still early but I noticed I still haven't gotten a single healing spell for her. I guess this explains that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I got away with MC, Aki, Mitsuru, and Koromaru being my main party in FES. She's not a dedicated healer but that's what I used. My second playthrough I used Ken instead. But after hearing about arguments for Yukari, I think I'm sold on her now.

I'm still early but I noticed I still haven't gotten a single healing spell for her. I guess this explains that.
Yukari is the Yukiko of p3 (well, yukiko is the yukari of p4). Lots of SP, healing, support and also some damage. I cant even imagine playing either game without them

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Later on you'll get requests to save people lost in Tartarus so it's beneficial to put it off until the end of the cycle so you can kill two birds with one stone.

4 Days before the Full Moon will pretty much ensure that everybody who's lost in Tartarus for that cycle can be found by you.

I always forget about this.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I pay seven fragments today, they count towards the total needed for the catch-up. So I can pay the rest if I go back to Tartarus tomorrow. You can do the catch-up as many times as you want as long as you have fragments.

Mitsuru isn't a healer anymore. I don't think she even gets any heal spells in reload. She's straight up damage and status ailments.
Yukari is the Yukiko of p3 (well, yukiko is the yukari of p4). Lots of SP, healing, support and also some damage. I cant even imagine playing either game without them
That's funny because my go to P4 party is pretty similar to my go to P3 party. Kanji for Aki, Naoto for Koromaru/Ken, and Teddie for Mitsuru.

But I don't mind mixing things up a bit this time. I'm aiming for my final party to be MC, Aigis, Yukari, and Koromaru/Ken.

if it helps you eventually get it down to 25% of the original cost
This is pretty eye opening. In the originals I never bothered leveling the characters I didn't use so I never knew this. Will definitely take this into account this go around.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023

That's funny because my go to P4 party is pretty similar to my go to P3 party. Kanji for Aki, Naoto for Koromaru/Ken, and Teddie for Mitsuru.

But I don't mind mixing things up a bit this time. I'm aiming for my final party to be MC, Aigis, Yukari, and Koromaru/Ken.
I'm using MC/Aigis/Ken/Koromaru instead of my previous P3 party of MC/Akihiko/Ken/Koromaru simply because Koromaru's Theurgy pairs with Aigis' Theurgy really well, and I like having all-enemy insta-kill coverage for Tartarus climbs.

Really the only lacking part here is not having an easy way to cure ailments, but that's where a good healing Persona comes in that I'm just too lazy to fuse right now.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty eye opening. In the originals I never bothered leveling the characters I didn't use so I never knew this. Will definitely take this into account this go around.

the reduction is based off other in-game activities you can do with teammates now not leveling based i believe. dunno if it's new to reload or from portable but it wasn't on fes irrc.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023

The buffs they added by doing the Linked Episode/side activity content is pretty absurd. Having an automatic Sukunda from Koromaru every fight makes treasure hands super easy to farm, for example.

Mische

Jun 12, 2023
Wasn't a thing in Portable, new to P3R.

I just finished the August Full Moon event. I'm liking MC/Yukari/Mitsuru/Akihiko for now. That was a delightful fight.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The buffs they added by doing the Linked Episode/side activity content is pretty absurd. Having an automatic Sukunda from Koromaru every fight makes treasure hands super easy to farm, for example.
How easy is it to notice these events? I've only done two so far. The first the game basically forces you to meet with Junpei, but Aki's I just happen to find him where I needed to go for a request. I would like to get as many of them as I can.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
they kinda are easy to fight in this one regardless
you can just spam theurgies on them

How easy is it to notice these events? I've only done two so far. The first the game basically forces you to meet with Junpei, but Aki's I just happen to find him where I needed to go for a request. I would like to get as many of them as I can.

world map will have a smiley face on the dorm when one is avaliable

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game for the first time, I had tried twice before (one with FES, one with Portable) but Tartarus was so boring that I always stopped relatively early. The Remake's improvements to the combat made it a little less tedious, and i'm glad I was able to push through because I really enjoyed the story and most of the characters. I was surprised at some things that happened, darker than I was expecting. I thought the ending was great, if what I think happened really happened.

I thought the voice acting was pretty good, even if there were a couple "how do you do, fellow kids" voices for some of the characters.

Out of the "three modern" games, I think I like 3 the most story-wise, but the least game-wise. It is very limited, even with all the changes in the Remake. I think one of the things I miss the most are the Social Link perks. In 3, most SLs feel pointless, I wish they had gone further in the "remake" aspect of it.

Koromaru best Persona character.

I have a question about a very late game special boss's mechanics, which I will spoiler below:

Is there a trick to the Ultimate Adversary fight? "It" kept healing for 20k and Megidolaing every turn, one-shotting me. I think I had lowered the difficulty to farm some mats, and wondered if the fight became "rigged" because of that? Also tried "Not giving up" a bunch of times to see if it was a scripted thing, but no dice. I eventually gave up.

Kenaras

Nov 9, 2018
I have a question about a very late game special boss's mechanics, which I will spoiler below:

Is there a trick to the Ultimate Adversary fight? "It" kept healing for 20k and Megidolaing every turn, one-shotting me. I think I had lowered the difficulty to farm some mats, and wondered if the fight became "rigged" because of that? Also tried "Not giving up" a bunch of times to see if it was a scripted thing, but no dice. I eventually gave up.

I haven't done this fight in Reload, but in FES/Portable:
Yes, there's a trick to it. Without going into detail, there are rules to the fight that you have to follow. If you break any of the rules, this is what happens. However, none of the rules are ever explained. The only way to learn them is through trial-and-error, or by looking up an online guide. Honestly I don't think it's worth doing without a guide.

Reload's version could be improved; I don't know.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Did/are any of you following the 100% guide?

Have you run into roadblocks with the tarturas trips? The first forart in requiring reaching floor 22 seems like way to fucking hard for having next to zero items or equipment for how early it is

Always keep in mind that you can go back. Returning to lower floors can be a bit of a grind, but, less threatening enemies do respawn, and "enemy chests" that you can break can also respawn. So, especially for that "Get to floor 22 in one night thing," you can do it if you exploit the physical weakness the lower floor enemies and kill them off without needing to use spells, and that in turn can net you the XP to level up, and if you get more life stones from chests, that gives you the healing items you need so you don't need to resort to healing spells or the spending twilight fragments on the clock.

You should really be trying to conserve your SP for the boss fights if you're trying to do it in just one night, and keep in mind that chests that require twilight fragments are "permanent," in that they'll wait for you to open them even if you leave Tartarus and come back, so just ignore the one and two twilight fragment chests if you're running low and concentrate only on the three fragment chests to get stuff like a better bow for Yukari.

But if you're finding it tough, grind out a few levels by returning to the lower floors where you can safely kill stuff without needing any kind of persona spell, try raise or even overlevel yourself. It'll be slower, but it works.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
just oneshotted chariot and justice with King and I

nobody playtested theurgies

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game for the first time, I had tried twice before (one with FES, one with Portable) but Tartarus was so boring that I always stopped relatively early. The Remake's improvements to the combat made it a little less tedious, and i'm glad I was able to push through because I really enjoyed the story and most of the characters. I was surprised at some things that happened, darker than I was expecting. I thought the ending was great, if what I think happened really happened.

I thought the voice acting was pretty good, even if there were a couple "how do you do, fellow kids" voices for some of the characters.

Out of the "three modern" games, I think I like 3 the most story-wise, but the least game-wise. It is very limited, even with all the changes in the Remake. I think one of the things I miss the most are the Social Link perks. In 3, most SLs feel pointless, I wish they had gone further in the "remake" aspect of it.

Koromaru best Persona character.

here's probably what you're missing. it's not how to beat it but how to actually get the chance to

you can't do anything that would absorb/repel/reflect including the persona that you use. otherwise she'll just one shot you.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
here's probably what you're missing. it's not how to beat it but how to actually get the chance to

you can't do anything that would absorb/repel/reflect including the persona that you use. otherwise she'll just one shot you.

That's very likely the cause. By that point, I was using a bunch of super high level Personas that absorbed or null'd damage.. Thanks!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Is there ever a reason to use physical skills that cost HP? I made it through Persona 4 and 5 without them and here it seems about the same. Just doesn't seem worth the HP unless you really need to hit a certain weakness.

Considering they are higehr dps than magical skill? Like p3 is arguably where theya re most balanced as theya re separated. in p4 onward, all builds consoldiated into "just have persona with multi hitting aoe phys skill (probably yoshitsune) and a bunch of passive boosts. You literally stop even bothering with weaknesses, as Yu or Joker would erase entire enemy team with neutral phys damage on turn 1.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So I've only played for less than 5 hours and I'm currently going through the first block of Tartarus. How many floors do you guys usually tackle per night? I've made it up to the 17th floor in the first night that you're allowed to freely tackle it, but SP is running a bit low. I might push to the final floor, but I'm wondering if that's the recommended strat, or if it's okay to divide the block in two or more nights.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
So I've only played for less than 5 hours and I'm currently going through the first block of Tartarus. How many floors do you guys usually tackle per night? I've made it up to the 17th floor in the first night that you're allowed to freely tackle it, but SP is running a bit low. I might push to the final floor, but I'm wondering if that's the recommended strat, or if it's okay to divide the block in two or more nights.
It's fine to do whatever. If you're trying to play perfectly optimally then do it in one night, but if you can't then there's no issue. In the original and FES there was a mechanic (tiredness) that made it so party members were weaker after a certain number of floors/battles and then left and were unavailable for the rest of the night if you returned to the lobby. This partially acted as a way to force you to spread it out over a few nights, so it's definitely not intended for you to push yourself to a silly point if you've used your resources. It's definitely ok to spread it out.

Personally though I'm pushing through all in one night, but then I've played the game before so I've got an idea what's going on and what strategies will work, so it's easier.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

I'm one of those who does all the floors I currently can in one go. Only time I had SP issues so far tho was in the very first one. SP economy folds in on itself pretty quickly, specially

when fuuka oracle can just fully refund your sp if you get lucky, for free

Apr 24, 2018
Always keep in mind that you can go back. Returning to lower floors can be a bit of a grind, but, less threatening enemies do respawn, and "enemy chests" that you can break can also respawn. So, especially for that "Get to floor 22 in one night thing," you can do it if you exploit the physical weakness the lower floor enemies and kill them off without needing to use spells, and that in turn can net you the XP to level up, and if you get more life stones from chests, that gives you the healing items you need so you don't need to resort to healing spells or the spending twilight fragments on the clock.

You should really be trying to conserve your SP for the boss fights if you're trying to do it in just one night, and keep in mind that chests that require twilight fragments are "permanent," in that they'll wait for you to open them even if you leave Tartarus and come back, so just ignore the one and two twilight fragment chests if you're running low and concentrate only on the three fragment chests to get stuff like a better bow for Yukari.

But if you're finding it tough, grind out a few levels by returning to the lower floors where you can safely kill stuff without needing any kind of persona spell, try raise or even overlevel yourself. It'll be slower, but it works.
Ah, that explains a lot and makes sense. I'm not personally a fan of grinding/tedious (over)leveling, but I likely will be in a similar boat to the poster you responded to. Up to Floor 16 in my first foray into Tartarus thus far (still haven't left)...I have 2 Snuff Souls left, but my whole party is nearly out of SP (again) at the moment. I think I've found 4 total SP regenerating items so far (all Snuff Souls)...seems like SP replenish items rarely/never drop in the lowest floors of Tartarus and only spawn in chests, at least based on my experience so far.

Playing on Hard; I don't even want to think about what tackling this on Merciless would be like...I really would like to try to go for all achievements on just the one playthrough if I can, though (there's almost no way in hell I'm replaying the game for at least several years, heh).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game at level 99, but I screwed up a bunch of fusions and Orpheus Telos has some bad spells. Oops. I might have to do a replay and put more thought into how I build the fusions. Other than that...

I fucking died on the school roof, right? The whole game was leading up to it.

Apr 24, 2018
I'm one of those who does all the floors I currently can in one go. Only time I had SP issues so far tho was in the very first one. SP economy folds in on itself pretty quickly, specially

when fuuka oracle can just fully refund your sp if you get lucky, for free
This is me in general/me right now with the SP management - glad to hear that the first time was the the only time that you had any SP issues - hoping that's what it will turn out like for me, as well!

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Fellow one goer, here. I got a Spirit Drain (Drain SP from an enemy to replenish your own) card from a Shuffle on the second block of floors, and now any time my MC is low on SP I use a teleporter to go back to like Floor 2, suck up some lowbie SP, then resume my climb 🤩

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Finished the game at level 99, but I screwed up a bunch of fusions and Orpheus Telos has some bad spells. Oops. I might have to do a replay and put more thought into how I build the fusions. Other than that...

I fucking died on the school roof, right? The whole game was leading up to it.
FES is just alright as whole, but the continuation of the story after that is great imo. The ending of FES hits hard for me.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is there ever a reason to use physical skills that cost HP? I made it through Persona 4 and 5 without them and here it seems about the same. Just doesn't seem worth the HP unless you really need to hit a certain weakness.

As others have said, there are some high-level persona builds that rely on ridiculously high-damaging group physical attacks. The biggest advantage of physical skills that require HP is it means you can keep using them without ever having to worry about burning through precious, precious SP. Either someone in the party can heal you with low-level healing spells, or you can just use healing items that you can overstock/surplus on.

Healing HP is always more "cost-effective" than trying to regain SP, so in the long haul, it's a great way to dungeon crawl.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, the ending sure hits harder than P5.
tumblr_inline_owauu6jDxR1t80jpm_540.gif

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Really wish they retooled the S-Links to offer rewards like in P5, especially since quite a few are truly not worth experiencing 😵‍💫😂

That said, Bebe's VA is perfect, and the voiceover makes him all the more endearing. I'm not sure if he's a popular character or S-Link, but I've always really liked him and his weeb ways.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else never take Koromaru out of the party? Once I got him, he's never left. He's too cute.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Really wish they retooled the S-Links to offer rewards like in P5, especially since quite a few are truly not worth experiencing 😵‍💫😂

That said, Bebe's VA is perfect, and the voiceover makes him all the more endearing. I'm not sure if he's a popular character or S-Link, but I've always really liked him and his weeb ways.
I thought Bebe was okay in Portable but he's amazing with the voiceover here. It makes me so happy every time he tells me "peace out" at the end of the link.

I agree that some of the S-Links are just bad and I'm forcing them for completion. I instantly hit skip whenever I have to deal with the Gourmet King and the art club garbage. I remember all of them being decent as FeMC in Portable and even in Fes.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I said it before and I'll say it again - Persona 3, unlike Persona 4 and 5, actually carries it's main themes to the very end. And that is why the story is so great in this game despite the slow start. It's such an incredible ending too.

I also recommend watching the movies as well. They are a fantastic adaptation.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Anyone else never take Koromaru out of the party? Once I got him, he's never left. He's too cute.

I really wanna do Yukari/Mitsuru/Ken (I am sucker for polearms), but two healrs might be overkill. I migth end up with the same end game team as my last year replay of protable, Yukari/Mitsuru/Aegis sooner or later. But since we have thse new level catch up things, I might just use characters I feel like at any given moment.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A couple but I also had a persona to dispell charm

That fight had me screaming. Yukari had Theurgy ready for like a third of the fight, but Mitsuru and Akihiko kept getting charmed so Yukari and protagonist were on charm dispelling duty. It wasn't even hard per se. Just tedious because the boss kept getting healed. ;_;