• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 5, 2021
Atlus has announced that Persona 5 Strikers has sold over two million units worldwide. Atlus producer Daisuke Kaneda shared a brief message thanking fans for their continued support of the title.
Kaneda's message has been translated below via our team's Ryuji:

"Persona 5 Strikers was released on February 20, 2020 [in Japan]. We said at the time that it was rare to have so many 2s, but thanks to all of you, we are now welcoming a new 2. [The game] has sold more than 2 million units worldwide. We could not be happier about the "2" than we are today, thanks to the support of so many people. Thank you very much.

Even recently, I have been watching [Persona 5 Strikers] playthrough videos, and every time, I see so many people enjoying the game while laughing or being moved by the game. I feel so happy that we were able to create this. The passion and technology of everyone at Koei Tecmo Games, Inc. and Omega Force, and the hard work of the ATLUS members who worked together with us, led to this result.

Now that Persona 5 Tactica is about to be released, Joker's battle continues, but the staff involved and I will take pride in this result and continue to work hard."

noisypixel.net

Persona 5 Strikers Sells 2 Million Units Worldwide - Noisy Pixel

Atlus has announced that Persona 5 Strikers has sold over two million units worldwide. Atlus producer Daisuke Kaneda shared a brief message thanking fans for

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Such a good game. Between this, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, and Three Hopes, Omega Force have been killing it with these spinoffs. Pokemon and Final Fantasy musous when?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Always surprised more people haven't played it.

If you want Persona 5-2, it's literally right there. Think the word that "It's a Musou" did damage because it's totally not and is rather just an Action RPG.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Great game. Happy it did well. Definitely deserves the "Persona 5-2" moniker that Atlus gave it in trailers.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game and a great adaptation of the Persona gameplay into an action RPG. I loved it and I'm really happy with these numbers, more Persona 5 players should give it a chance.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Persona 6 is an ARGP instead of a turn-based RPG. I know it will not happen because Atlus wants to go with the safest bet. However well done Atlus and Omega-Force for experimenting with this, the output is amazing and I can feel all the love they put in this project.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Banging OST
Bad musou and bad action rpg mechanically to me, meaning I just found the combat a mess either way you look at it, but I appreciate the soft sequel to 5 approach

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cool game - hopefully that team gets to do another one. The series producer made it sound like they wanted to earlier in the year:
Q: Are there any game genres you want to experiment with while using the world and characters of Persona?

Wada:
We've already done the genres that I wanted to, like fighting games and rhythm games. We also tried out the action genre with Persona 5 Strikers. The action genre is quite popular worldwide, we'd like to try making another game in that genre later on.
personacentral.com

Persona Series Director Discusses Port Development Process, Genre Experimentation, Franchise Future - Persona Central

Sega Asia have conducted an interview with Persona series producer Kazuhisa Wada about the development process and future of the franchise.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Cool game - hopefully that team gets to do another one. The series producer made it sound like they wanted to earlier in the year:

personacentral.com

Persona Series Director Discusses Port Development Process, Genre Experimentation, Franchise Future - Persona Central

Sega Asia have conducted an interview with Persona series producer Kazuhisa Wada about the development process and future of the franchise.

If we get another one, I hope it kinda leans into something more like Persona Arena. Not necessarily that kind of story but it incorporating other Persona's into it rather than just one team.

Z'ard

"This guy are sick"
Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
Score and Characters were amazing, not a fan of combat. Good to see persona selling well.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Haven't played this yet. Still haven't played all through royal yet. I only managed to beat P5 base game when it first came out. I do have royal on switch just sitting here and strikers on PS4. Its just finding time to play them, lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If we get another one, I hope it kinda leans into something more like Persona Arena. Not necessarily that kind of story but it incorporating other Persona's into it rather than just one team.
Yeah, at the very least I wouldn't want it to be another Persona 5 thing. Reviving Devil Summoner (Raido Kuzunoha) would be sick, but I understand Atlus wants to make money lol.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Second best Persona spinoff (though it's narratively a sequel).

The two new characters they add are great additions to the cast, which is honestly rare for the spinoffs in general.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
It's good stuff. Loved that reunion.

Haven't played this yet. Still haven't played all through royal yet. I only managed to beat P5 base game when it first came out. I do have royal on switch just sitting here and strikers on PS4. Its just finding time to play them, lol
Strikers is really just a sequel to the base game and is only 40ish hours. Not short , but relative to Royal, it's pretty quick.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad. It took a while for people to realize what an incredible sequel it is. Hell, a lot of people are still sleeping on it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm one of those 2M. It didn't click for me and dropped it after 3 hours.

I remember thinking how jarring it was seeing the game run at 60fps. Mind you, I had just played P5R back then, so I really thought the Phantom Thieves were moving too fast for me.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Awesome game. I really enjoyed it and it's probably the best spin off game they've done. Calling it a musou really feels like a disservice. Not that musou games are bad, but having played Hyrule and FE Warriors I was expecting the typical objective maps and base clearing gameplay and that's really not how it plays at all.

But I'm sure its best to beat Royal before starting strikers, yes? I mean it is a sequel I guess.
Strikers is in a weird place because it takes place after P5 so you should absolutely finish it first, but none of the story elements or characters exclusive to Royal, notably the third semester, are referenced. Seemingly because of the development timeline. If you're playing Royal and haven't finished the vanilla game before, then yes finish Royal first.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
My sole complaint remains it running on Omega Force's awful engine and therefore the P5 aesthetic is ruined by extreme aliasing.

I swear you could run their games at 16K and the image would still have more jaggies than an early field-rendered PS2 game.

Always surprised more people haven't played it.

If you want Persona 5-2, it's literally right there. Think the word that "It's a Musou" did damage because it's totally not and is rather just an Action RPG.
It most totally is. The same A,B / A,A,B /A,A,A,B / etc. combo structure, the special Musou moves activated after bar buildup, etc. Maps that are just a series of interconnected boxes. The only difference is battles are discreet encounters rather than freeform on the battlefield.

I loved it but that's because I enjoyed Persona 5 and I like musous. Your description of it being P5-2 is apt but the musou denial I disagree with strongly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It most totally is. The same A,B / A,A,B /A,A,A,B / etc. combo structure, the special Musou moves activated after bar buildup, etc. Maps that are just a series of interconnected boxes. The only difference is battles are discreet encounters rather than freeform on the battlefield.

I loved it but that's because I enjoyed Persona 5 and I like musous. Your description of it being P5-2 is apt but the musou denial I disagree with strongly.

I feel like you're undermining a HUGE part here. Because that change alters the context of what most people typically think of when they hear Musou. I won't deny there's obviously Musou influence in it, but I wouldn't call it a Musou just because of those elements.

Since as a whole, it's going to appeal more to your ARPG fan than any Musou Hardcore who would actually want more of what that genre is typically known for.

There's a night and day difference between Fire Emblem Three Hopes and Persona 5 Strikers for example.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I feel like you're undermining a HUGE part here. Because that change alters the context of what most people typically think of when they hear Musou. I won't deny there's obviously Musou influence in it, but I wouldn't call it a Musou just because of those elements.

Since as a whole, it's going to appeal more to your ARPG fan than any Musou Hardcore who would actually want more of what that genre is typically known for.

There's a night and day difference between Fire Emblem Three Hopes and Persona 5 Strikers for example.
Potentially. Just when I think musou I think a gameplay style, a feel. You can recognise the technology, the gameplay systems, etc. The presence of large armies in most musou games is actually inconsequential as it's mostly about navigation and 1v1 combat with mini-bosses, which is wholly present in P5S.

But I suppose most would more like just think "1 vs 100s"

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Potentially. Just when I think musou I think a gameplay style, a feel. You can recognise the technology, the gameplay systems, etc. The presence of large armies in most musou games is actually inconsequential as it's mostly about navigation and 1v1 combat with mini-bosses, which is wholly present in P5S.

But I suppose most would more like just think "1 vs 100s"

That's fair and it's probably one of those things that just kinda applies to what you take away from the genre most. Since for me i've definitely played my fair share of Musou's and would still find myself in the latter description of it typically meaning "1 vs 100 and taking over points".

Don't think that means either of us are wrong, more that Strikers definitely makes for an interesting conversation piece when it comes to that genre.

Sep 15, 2021
I'll need to revisit next summer. Wasn't a fan of the gameplay but loved the parts of the story that I saw.

Last edited:

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
I'd have quite liked that for the strategy game.

A Shadow Operatives XCOM-style spinoff with characters from the whole series would be so cool.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
If nothing else, this game did make me think "I wish there were more games that were just fun roadtrips with familiar characters"

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
I really liked it. Like, above all I really liked the chill summer break with friends vibe.

I'm hoping between the success of this, Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Three Hopes more IPs will feel confident to get the Omega Force treatment. Square Enix have been leaving money on the table for years by not doing a crossover/multiverse game with FF.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
I really liked it. Like, above all I really liked the chill summer break with friends vibe.

I'm hoping between the success of this, Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Three Hopes more IPs will feel confident to get the Omega Force treatment. Square Enix have been leaving money on the table for years by not doing a crossover/multiverse game with FF.
But that's the thing, what's fun about Strikers isn't really in those other games. They feel worse to play by comparison. They're limited by the Switch with more stuff going on. Following the Persona 5 structure is what elevates Strikers.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

I agree. Between Three Hopes, Age of Calamity, P5 Strikers, and DQ Heroes 2, these Warriors-like crossover games have been really good the past few years.

B-Komachi

Alt account
Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Oh okay. I don't remember but does it have a recap of the events of P5 in strikers at all?

I wonder if I could just watch the anime, lol
Don't play Strikers without playing P5 through first lol. And definitely don't watch the anime to be caught up on the story. P5S is awesome, but P5 is the better game and the better story. Finish Royal first and then move to Strikers.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me I need to pick this up. I was trying to go through Royal before starting this one.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
It says something when Persona, the SMT spinoff, is spinning off its own titles that are outselling SMT games.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I played it this summer and it was better than the original P5. A running trend with it's spin offs.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Can't get into Musous at all but enjoyed this as Persona 5.1. I just wanna spend more time with these characters and a road trip was perfect.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna get back to this one day. Does it run on Deck yet? I know awhile ago it just booted to a black screen.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
...will people get mad if I say I liked P5S more than some mainline Persona games? Probably. (though I won't say which!)

Anyway, fantastic result for s spinoff, and a musou game at that. Pretty sure the only musou games that sold more than P5S are the Hyrule Warriors games. Goes to show the strength of Persona and specifically Persona 5 as a brand, and why Atlus/Sega are insistent on still making spinoffs despite people crying on the internet.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It was excellent and I'd love to see a sequel. I was impressed with the story considering Persona spinoffs generally don't excel in that department, and the new characters were great. It really felt like a straight up sequel.