HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
hero_art_logo.png

Credit to BlackJace for providing the custom images!

8Gmk2r3.png
  • Release Date: November 17, 2023 (worldwide)
  • Developer: ATLUS P-Studio
  • Publisher: SEGA
  • Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Windows (Steam and Game Pass Day One), Nintendo Switch
  • Price:
    • $59.99 - Standard (Digital and Physical)
    • $79.99 - Digital Deluxe
NvtUsZd.png

P5T_GlamShot_DigitalEdition_EN_NoDate.png

Persona 5 Tactica has DLC from the Digital Deluxe Edition in the above image, this specifically includes:

• Pircaro Summoning Pack & Raoul (Izanagi Picaro, Orpheus Picaro, and Raoul personas)
  • "Repaint Your Heart" - A challenge campaign featuring Akechi and Yoshizawa.
  • Weapon Pack

fe3LPrU.png

The Phantom Thieves in Cafe Leblanc suddenly find themselves in another dimension that resembles Medieval Europe. They meet a woman named Erina and form an alliance with her to lead the Rebel Corps and free the land from tyrannical rule of the Legionnaires.

bd3NZzc.png

Note: Any potential major spoilers for Persona 5/Royal will be marked.

Persona 5 Tactica is a spinoff of Persona 5, taking place in another dimension. It's a strategy RPG, similar to modern X-COM or Mario + Rabbids with its own Persona flair. This isn't the first time Persona has actually had any kind of strategy RPG elements in it. The first time was actually back in Persona 1, which had a grid system in its combat, although this was for determining what targets characters could hit with attacks.

Atlus has had a bit of a history with strategy games in the overall MegaTen umbrella. The first MegaTen strategy game was Majin Tensei on the Super Famicom. It's infamous for being incredibly slow. I have heard it compared to Growlanser, but I have not played that and do not know myself. Atlus also released Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis on the Super Famicom, as well as Ronde for the Sega Saturn. As for Ronde…the less said about that one, the better. I don't mean to judge a book by its cover but well…look at this…

q8eeozji11691.jpg

Anyway, around ten years later, Atlus jumped back into strategy RPGs with two absolute bangers of games: The Devil Survivor series. These games had an isometric view more like many other tactics games at the time, such as the Final Fantasy Tactics games. You had up to three humans in each map at a time, each with the ability to have a team of two demons with them. Most people (including myself) consider these games to be very good, and are definitely worth your time! Unfortunately, your options for playing them now are very few and far between after the closing of the 3DS eShop. The games were originally released as DS games, and then had 3DS enhanced ports later. If you can, play the 3DS versions, there's no real downside to them.

The type of strategy game P5T is hasn't been done in the MegaTen franchise before. It's always exciting to see Atlus tackle new ideas like this, and it looks like it should be a good time. It is also worth pointing out that many people might see the art style and think it's the same as the Persona Q games, but that's not the case. It's a different artist, and the characters are taller and slightly less chibi than the Persona Q games.

One of the major features of the game is the "Triple Threat" mechanic, known as "Tribangle" in the Japanese version. Knocking down enemies by exploiting their weakness, and having all three characters form a triangle around them allows you to trigger the Triple Threat, unleashing what's very similar to an All-Out Attack.

Each character has their own Persona specific to them. However, much like the Q games, Everyone can use sub-Personas. These are Personas that can be gained or fused in the Velvet Room and give access to additional skills beyond what their Persona has. These sub-Personas are mostly based on the demons from the Shin Megami Tensei series drawn by Kazuma Kaneko, so expect to see the same great designs you have across many games!

RldvDtB.png

"Joker"
Persona: Arsene

latest
Joker is the protagonist of this game as well as the original Persona 5 and its spinoffs. He can be named whatever you want, but the name used for him in the Persona 5 anime is Ren Amamiya.

Morgana "Mona" the not-cat
Persona: Zorro

latest
Morgana is Joker's loyal partner that he met pretty early on in the original Persona 5. He's unsure of his origins, and believes he's actually a human that was somehow turned into a cat. He acted as Joker's teacher in becoming a Phantom Thief, and even has the ability to turn into a van. No one has definitely ever seen a cat do anything like that in any movie ever, definitely. Ryuji and Morgana sometimes butt heads, but they are able to resolve their differences and work to change the hearts of distorted humans.

Ryuji "Skull" Sakamoto
Persona: Captain Kidd

latest
For real?! Yes, it's him. He's the first human friend Joker makes when moving to Tokyo, pushing Joker to explore the strange castle they discovered at the same location as the school. He's a bit hot-headed, but means well. He was on the school's track team and is quite the athlete.

Ann "Panther" Takamaki
Persona: Carmen

latest
Being a fashion model and a student can be quite challenging, but Ann manages to pull it off somehow. She wields a whip, and her design is actually a reference to Ayase from Persona 1! Ayase also had blonde pigtails and a whip.

Yusuke "Fox" Kitagawa
Persona: Goemon

latest
An art student formerly studying under a hack artist, he mostly cares about the quality of his paintings and is often very serious. He exposed his plagiarist teacher and ended up moving into his school's dorm. He does not attend Shujin Academy unlike most of the group.

Makoto "Queen" Niijima
Persona: Johanna

latest
Being the sister of prosecutor Sae Niijima, she is very focused on her studies and is the student council President. She initially spends her time spying on the Phantom Thieves, but she eventually has her reasons for turning around and joining them.

Futaba "Oracle" Sakura
Persona: Necronomicon

latest

Futaba is the navigator of the group, not actually taking part in combat. She offers tactical advice and support such as buffs, healing, or mapping areas. She spent much of her life locked up in her room before joining the Phantom Thieves.

Haru "Noir" Okumura
Persona: Milady

latest
Born into a rich family, with a father owning a large food corporation, she's very well off but overwhelmed at the same time. She initially tries to pull off the whole Phantom Thief thing on her own with Morgana, but quickly changes her mind and joins with the rest of the group. A common complaint about her in the original Persona 5 was that she did not get much screen time, and while this was fixed in Royal and Persona 5 Strikers, here's hoping she still gets that in Persona 5 Tactica.

Erina the Leader of the Rebel Corps
Persona: none

latest
Erina is the first ally Joker and gang meet in this strange world. She has been leading the Rebel Corps to fight against the Legionnaires and enlists the help of the Phantom Thieves to finish the job. Not much is known about her, but she does not use a Persona to fight.

Toshiro Kasukabe
Persona: unknown

latest
Toshiro is a young member of the Japanese National Diet, in the running to be the next Prime Minister. He ended up somehow imprisoned in this strange world, and does not remember how he got there or why he was even in a cell.

RWI4OrL.png

Do I absolutely need to play the original Persona 5 to understand this game?

The simple answer is "probably not" as most of the Persona 5 spinoffs have been pretty easy to understand without playing it, but it's still highly suggested you do as this game may spoil some details about characters you might wish to have found out playing Persona 5.

Does this game have a calendar like Persona 5?

No, it's mission-based.

Will I like this game if I Devil Survivor?

Probably, if you've been hankering for a good MegaTen strategy RPG! The game plays more like X-COM or Mario + Rabbids, with cover mechanics as well as pushing enemies around.

Will I like this game if I like Shin Megami Tensei?

Most likely. The game contains sub-Personas using Kazuma Kaneko's great designs. Spell names follow the same pattern as they have in previous SMT and Persona games. There's no dungeons of course, as this is a strategy RPG.

Will this game run on Steam Deck?

Yes! It has the Steam Deck Verified seal of approval from Valve, meaning it will work just fine on your Steam Deck with readable text, button prompts, and all you need to play the game without having to change anything on your Deck, be it the original or the OLED version. I know that's how I will be playing most of this game.

Is the game available day 1 on Game Pass?

Yes!

Is there an English dub?

Yes!

DsUMNbd.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aBbuInWvs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTXPfo2_ij0

Screenshots​

ss_bd923aa1cd254099a7cb7dc7e3eae68b949c0f0b.jpg

ss_884990ccfb6c66ba83f8dfb255f083ffad7dd6d9.jpg

ss_fa46ed6db560e559fd7ff2ea8102358cf5639911.jpg

Last edited:

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Them locking Kasumi behind dlc still kills me, but I'm a sucker and will buy it regardless.

Also wonder if the New Zealand trick will work for this one.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Do I absolutely need to play the original Persona 5 to understand this game?
The simple answer is "probably not" as most of the Persona 5 spinoffs have been pretty easy to understand without playing it, but it's still highly suggested you do as this game may spoil some details about characters you might wish to have found out playing Persona 5.

Hmm...I'm going to stay tuned and see what others think about this.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I'm ignoring this for now because I am incredibly burned out of the 5 cast, but Persona has a good track record with spin offs and I am intrigued by the Tactics gameplay so it's definitely on the list at some point. Looking forward to impressions.

grizzlybara

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know when we should be playing the DLC? I'm curious if i should save it for the end or somewhere in the middle of my playthrough.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Preordered yesterday. Excited to spend more time with the cast even if I don't really care for this kind of tactics game. Just gonna slap it on easy and enjoy the vibes.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Yeah I might be editing that soon. I've seen some stuff in reviews that makes the answer lean toward "Probably" instead of "probably not".

Oof. I was planning on buying P5R since it left Game Pass (bless Play Anywhere) but I wasn't going to play it any time soon (too much other shit to catch up on). I might just dabble in this a bit to get a feel for the gameplay and decide whether I'd just buy it in the future then (like I decided for P5R). 🫠

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't finished P5R yet, so Imma hold off for now and try to resist buying to get the (probably pointless) pre-order DLC.

Looks great, though, and right up my alley.

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Do we know when we should be playing the DLC? I'm curious if i should save it for the end or somewhere in the middle of my playthrough.
Sounds like a stand alone thing, so you're probably good to start it whenever. Unsure about difficulty or not. Probably just depends on if you want Aketchi and Kasumi added to the party early on or not.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Had the Switch version for about a week now. Usually play on train rides to work so haven't put a ton of time into it, but as someone who's never beaten a Persona game before (but has played a little of them) I've been enjoying this. I like tactics type games so I was always interested when I first saw it.

The first 8 or so missions are basically tutorials. I'm playing on Hard (4th highest difficulty) and those first 8 were easy. Things do pick up though. New mechanics and whatnot change things.

Also, on Hard difficulty and higher, there's friendly fire. So you'll need to think about positioning at times.

There's the whole "One More" mechanic where, if you hit someone that's out of cover, you'll get another turn. The thing is, at first, enemies are always in cover. So you'll have to melee them to get them out of cover or use a skill that can knock them away. After that, you attack and get that one more. But if the enemy is always downed and you attack, you won't earn it. Don't forget that the enemy can also get an extra turn.

That triangle special attack system is interesting. The person who gets that extra turn is the one who actually activates it. You can move your other teammates into that triangle formation but you need to switch back to that "one more" person to actually use it.

When your character dies, you can baton pass to someone new. The higher the difficulty, the less baton passes you're able to do. But on something like Story mode, it's unlimited.

My biggest issue with the Switch version is the loading. Getting into a battle or retrying a battle is on the longer side.

There are no items to use so healing is either by skills or during battle, if you're on these green squares that are on the map.

Cover plays a big part. When in cover, you'll resist attacks, meaning you'll take less damage. You might even completely block attacks if you're surrounded by walls, for example. Which makes sense.

You don't level up per character. You level up as a team. Your Phamtom Level increases as you win battles. Persona you want to create need to be at your level or lower.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. I tend to juggle multiple games at the same time so this will go in the "I will definitely finish this at some point pile, lmao. Awesome that it's on gamepass but I enjoy my RPG's via handheld. No regrets with this one.

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
hopefully this game doesn't spoil royal stuff, still didn't play that one and i don't know when that will be, but certainly in a long time
Based on certain things about the dlc and the time the game takes place, I doubt they'll touch on any new content from Royal. Not positive though since I haven't played it.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Had the Switch version for about a week now. Usually play on train rides to work so haven't put a ton of time into it, but as someone who's never beaten a Persona game before (but has played a little of them) I've been enjoying this. I like tactics type games so I was always interested when I first saw it.

The first 8 or so missions are basically tutorials. I'm playing on Hard (4th highest difficulty) and those first 8 were easy. Things do pick up though. New mechanics and whatnot change things.

Also, on Hard difficulty and higher, there's friendly fire. So you'll need to think about positioning at times.

There's the whole "One More" mechanic where, if you hit someone that's out of cover, you'll get another turn. The thing is, at first, enemies are always in cover. So you'll have to melee them to get them out of cover or use a skill that can knock them away. After that, you attack and get that one more. But if the enemy is always downed and you attack, you won't earn it. Don't forget that the enemy can also get an extra turn.

That triangle special attack system is interesting. The person who gets that extra turn is the one who actually activates it. You can move your other teammates into that triangle formation but you need to switch back to that "one more" person to actually use it.

When your character dies, you can baton pass to someone new. The higher the difficulty, the less baton passes you're able to do. But on something like Story mode, it's unlimited.

My biggest issue with the Switch version is the loading. Getting into a battle or retrying a battle is on the longer side.

There are no items to use so healing is either by skills or during battle, if you're on these green squares that are on the map.

Cover plays a big part. When in cover, you'll resist attacks, meaning you'll take less damage. You might even completely block attacks if you're surrounded by walls, for example. Which makes sense.

You don't level up per character. You level up as a team. Your Phamtom Level increases as you win battles. Persona you want to create need to be at your level or lower.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. I tend to juggle multiple games at the same time so this will go in the "I will definitely finish this at some point pile, lmao. Awesome that it's on gamepass but I enjoy my RPG's via handheld. No regrets with this one.
How does acquiring new Personas work before fusion? I wasn't entirely clear on it based on footage so far. I definitely haven't seen Kaneko demons as enemies so I don't think it's like P5/P5R, but is it totally random like P5S? Or some thing with a special enemy encounter that's the only way that drops them?

Jun 9, 2023
This game is a ton of fun, I never liked Persona before 5 so it worked out for me.

I played it with cheats though so I could see the ending faster and on easy lol.

My only complaint is how some stuff drags and the loading. Waiting on DLC!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I normally strongly dislike chibi design but these ones really work for me for some reason.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
How does acquiring new Personas work before fusion? I wasn't entirely clear on it based on footage so far. I definitely haven't seen Kaneko demons as enemies so I don't think it's like P5/P5R, but is it totally random like P5S? Or some thing with a special enemy encounter that's the only way that drops them?

You get them after a mission and you can only keep a certain amount. The last battle I did, it told me I was full so I had to delete 2 of my Personas to make way for the new ones.

There's an option to replay missions but I need to try one out to see if I can get the same Personas as a reward or if it's a one time thing.

There are also Quests you can do and you may earn them from there as well. I've only done 2 so far and haven't received any yet.

Speaking of these Quests, these aren't like regular missions. The 2nd quest I did was more of a puzzle. It wanted me to reach the other side of the map within 1 turn. So it was a lot of trial and error to pass that. Had to push enemies out of cover and line it up so one character kept getting an extra turn, eventually moving to the goal.

Also, these Quests have preset teams. And only those characters get a reward. So far, it's been SP as a reward. SP is used for skill trees.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I might install windows on my steam deck to play this. I totally forgot it was coming to game pass. I was doing mental gymnastics in my mind, in order justify myself spending the last of my money in order to buy this on steam.
This game feels like a 30 dollar game to me. I don't think it's a good idea to buy this at the price they are asking.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Initially planned to wait, but who am I kidding. I don't wait for Persona content

Decided not to go with digital deluxe. If that stuff is any good, they'll sell it a la carte

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon, you can't tease that the game will be like Devil Survivor if it won't actually be like Devil Survivor!

My history with both Persona 5 spinoffs and XCOM clones has been pretty dire in that I've never managed to finish one (not even Royal or Q2, though I think I could crack those one day, and on the XCOM side I'm pretty sure The Bureau doesn't count) so I'll be waiting to see reviews and impressions. Devil Survivor was a really special series and if this somehow manages to have the same magic then I'd totally be on board.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I might install windows on my steam deck to play this. I totally forgot it was coming to game pass. I was doing mental gymnastics in my mind, in order justify myself spending the last of my money in order to buy this on steam.
This game feels like a 30 dollar game to me. I don't think it's a good idea to buy this at the price they are asking.
I always forget that you have to install windows to use Game Pass. That sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm not a Game Pass user myself but I would hope that MS would come out with some more reasonable solution for Steam Deck given how much it's taken off.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
I always forget that you have to install windows to use Game Pass. That sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm not a Game Pass user myself but I would hope that MS would come out with some more reasonable solution for Steam Deck given how much it's taken off.
I think Microsoft's solution to Steam Deck is cloud streaming. Unless they release a Game Pass client that's a "normal" app rather than one of their silly proprietary ones, it's never going to work on Linux/SteamOS.

I bought this on Steam months ago - if I get an OLED Deck secured in the next 15 minutes or so I may put off starting this until it arrives. The game's already Deck verified so I expect it to be a fantastic experience on an OLED.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft's solution to Steam Deck is cloud streaming. Unless they release a Game Pass client that's a "normal" app rather than one of their silly proprietary ones, it's never going to work on Linux/SteamOS.

I bought this on Steam months ago - if I get an OLED Deck secured in the next 15 minutes or so I may put off starting this until it arrives. The game's already Deck verified so I expect it to be a fantastic experience on an OLED.
A total non-solution lol. Cloud streaming isn't going to help you on your flight where the wifi is absurdly priced.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Any info on the length of the game? I dropped Persona 5 Royal because I've had enough of it...

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Yeah interested to know if this works with NZ
Gonna test it out once I'm home from work at least

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Do you get to use Kasumi/Akechi in the main game after getting/completing the DLC campaign, or are they only available in that?

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
It's not my type of game, but I'll buy it when it gets cheaper because I loved the characters in Persona 5 Royal. I also bought Persona 5 Strikers. I hope the soundtrack is good in this one too.

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
Ok looks like it might be a global release since it looks like it's unlocking today at 6pm Central

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Very excited to start this after Mario RPG Remake!!

Always down for more phantom thieves.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing no separate review thread? Currently at 76% on Metacritic.

Looking at a few reviews, the general gist seems to be that if you want Mario+Rabbids or X-Com but with Persona mechanics & characters, this does a good job of that. Main complaints seem to be that it takes a bit to get going (some mechanics take too long to be introduced, new enemy types are introduced slowly), and that after years of Persona 5, it's yet another inconsequential spin-off and not a proper sequel. Oh and it's the type of SRPG where it's just combat, messing with character builds, and cutscenes so don't come here expecting exploration or other diversions.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'm guessing no separate review thread? Currently at 76% on Metacritic.

Looking at a few reviews, the general gist seems to be that if you want Mario+Rabbids or X-Com but with Persona mechanics & characters, this does a good job of that. Main complaints seem to be that it takes a bit to get going (some mechanics take too long to be introduced, new enemy types are introduced slowly), and that after years of Persona 5, it's yet another inconsequential spin-off and not a proper sequel. Oh and it's the type of SRPG where it's just combat, messing with character builds, and cutscenes so don't come here expecting exploration or other diversions.

I don't really understand what the 'yet another inconsequential spinoff' means because Strikers was essentially a sequel to P5 storywise and directly moved the story and characters forward. Unless that just means 'not Persona 6.'

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand what the 'yet another inconsequential spinoff' means because Strikers was essentially a sequel to P5 storywise and directly moved the story and characters forward. Unless that just means 'not Persona 6.'

Their big complaint was that there's no progression for any of these characters. Since Persona 5, there's been Persona Q2, Persona 5 Dancing, Persona 5 Strikers, and the Persona 5 Royal expansion, but in every game, each character resets back to the archetype they were in main Persona 5. And there's no connection between any of the spin-offs.

Which I get. Like it was frustrating that P5 Strikers didn't have Kasumi in it and P5 Tactica doesn't have the 2 Strikers characters in it and to get Kasumi and Akechi, you have to spend an extra $20 for DLC.