• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Thats a very good number for Persona <3 Since the game is targeting a certain audience, this is beautiful.

J_Ark

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Persona 5 so much, even more than 4. Totally deserved numbers for a great saga.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's a lot more than I thoughtfor the MT series, but then again it's more than just SMT.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great sales news for SMT and Persona but in that same article:

Yakuza
series (Launched 2005) – Approx. 10.5 million units / downloads across 75 total editions (packaged and digital total)

Huh? That can't be right, surely? Misprint?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For that many games in that span of time that actually isn't great for sales numbers. Especially with how big and expensive Persona V was, I hope it has a long tail to continue to justify bringing the series west.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Did they provide updated figures for persona 5?

Edit: guess it has not surpassed 1.8 million shipped going by the article.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice for two franchises that have been super niche for the bulk of their existence.

Great sales news for SMT and Persona but in that same article:

Yakuza
series (Launched 2005) – Approx. 10.5 million units / downloads across 75 total editions (packaged and digital total)

Huh? That can't be right, surely? Misprint?

Pretty sure that's all releases across all regions.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
They've done a great job at growing their base whilst on the whole avoiding alienating their long time fans. It's been pretty good IP management, which is a rarity in the industry.

MiguelBañón

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
I even expected a bit more, to be honest. Persona 5 is the best game of the year for me so far. I've even thought about buying a PSVita with P4 Golden next year (I don't think I will tough).

EXPBonus

Oct 30, 2017
Persona definitely has a bright future which I'm looking forward too! Interested in seeing where SMT goes.

Digital Devil Saga remasters when?

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
P3-4 got good media support too. 5 will get more. game sales is not everything.

not many series get to last this long.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
Happy to see MegaTen is doing (almost) as well as Persona - I wonder if SMT Switch is going to shore up those numbers a bit, too.

Would HAPPILY re-purchase most SMT games as a remaster for PS4: Digital Devil Saga COMPLETE EDITION would go down a treat

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
SMT now being a Persona Spin off confirmed.

Jk. So glad to see the series so alive and well. Can't wait for Strange Journey Redux.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
It amazes me that it sold this low, i mean its great that atlus are happy but at the same time the whole persona franchise sold less than ff7 alone

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I never liked SMT. Unfortunately only played two of the first person games. Planning to try the third person games

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
These are sales numbers of course and people may think its niche just from those numbers, but don't forget that's not the amount of people who played it whether they borrowed a copy, bought it preowned, pirated, rented etc I'd say 2x those sales numbers people have played those games

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, didn't know Persona overshadowed main series. Amazing.

SMT - 600k (July 2015)
Persona 5 - 1.8 million (July 2017)

Persona series sales were 6.9 million in Nov 2016, with 550k P5 copies counted for (JP+Asia). Assuming Persona 5 is the only Persona game still selling notable numbers (a safe assumption), Persona 5 could have a LTD of 2.15 million.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me that it sold this low, i mean its great that atlus are happy but at the same time the whole persona franchise sold less than ff7 alone
Did you know that Pokémon Red/Blue/Green alone sold more than the Persona and SMT franchise AND FFVII combined?

Again, Persona was niche and hasn't gotten million sellers until recently.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, Persona 5 is my game of this gen by a significant margin and I can't wait for more.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i know and at least atlus are still making great games, its just that it cant be worth it for atlus to work for 5 years to only sell a couple of millions each time

It really depends on how low they keep costs when making a game, really. Considering the series hasn't really died until this point, one would guess the sales make up for the costs of making them, so they keep making them. The series has never been "AAA" in terms of that, so it doesn't need those types of numbers to stay afloat.

I mean, if it wasn't worth it, I'm sure we wouldn't be getting announcements of two spin-offs of Persona 5 within a year of them releasing. :p

Of course, it's also worth noting that the spin-offs sell almost as well as the mainline games/re-releases, so there's that to consider as well.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i know and at least atlus are still making great games, its just that it cant be worth it for atlus to work for 5 years to only sell a couple of millions each time
Look at this that way: Atlus games also have a much lower budget than something like FF7, whose development cost was astronomical for the time. Persona V is probably the only exception, and it did sell quite well.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Very encouraging to see how such a comparably "niche" series can thrive over the long term.
To the next 30 years!

Oct 27, 2017
SMT is the Dark Souls of Persona so it's expected to sell less

just kidding

Well I've been a fan since Persona 3 so I'm pretty happy for them. Will happily but day one anything Persona and SMT.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

It really depends on the budget, they probably still make a lot of money.
Also they expand the franchise which then helps with the sales of the spin offs and "golden" version's.

Adeptfawn

Oct 28, 2017
Happy to see MegaTen is doing (almost) as well as Persona - I wonder if SMT Switch is going to shore up those numbers a bit, too.
I'm sure SMT V will get very good numbers, but I doubt it'll sell enough for SMT to catch up to Persona. If nothing else the fact that there's 3 new persona games on the horizon gives Persona a leg up on SMT

But that's where all the Persona spin offs and adaptations help. The P4 Golden anime may have sucked, but it probably made Atlus a ton of money
Not to say that Atlus is not that big a company. They can get away with much smaller sale numbers than companies like Squeenix

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe i haven't played P5 yet,i've been waiting for it since i finished P4 back in 2009 haha.
My younger self would be kicking me in the face for not playing it right now.