• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I wonder how they snuck this stuff past Nintendo's certification.
As a dev who's released two games on the Switch, there is absolutely a certification process. A difficult one, at times.

Which is why it's so baffling that this got through.
Not that I'm a fan of PETA or anything, but I find this confusing -- do people want Nintendo to clamp down on games with disturbing content, like MK11 or Wolfenstein? Or do we want Nintendo to let publishers release whatever they want as long as the game isn't a crashing bug-infested mess, like this?

Or are we just complaining because it's PETA? Because I can't see how Nintendo can take a stance that allows MK11 but disallows this...

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the cutscenes on Youtube. What they're intended to be showing is gory, but they're just still images that move around slightly. They aren't properly animated or anything. Like the Twitter user mentions an orca that commits suicide by bashing its head in. That sounds really graphic...except this is what it actually shows you

peta05kod.png

You don't see the orca bashing its head in. There's just a description of that happening and then that image follows.
Wow, thanks for taking one for the team, still horrific, imagine kids running into this stuff

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's been out for a full year at this point and it says it's by PETA in the description. I don't like PETA at all, but this is benign stuff.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I mean PETA is garbage, but nothing about this game goes against the rules of certification on Switch.

There are much more graphic games on switch then this, this is pretty lame by Peta standards.

Should of been blocked, because Peta is shit, but nothing about this game is any more graphic then at least 10% of the E-Shop.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like that ignorant kids might download this with ignorant parent approval because it only has a T rating. Sneaking in an orca suicide and castration imagery sounds just like PETA. Evil fuckers

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Not that I'm a fan of PETA or anything, but I find this confusing -- do people want Nintendo to clamp down on games with disturbing content, like MK11 or Wolfenstein? Or do we want Nintendo to let publishers release whatever they want as long as the game isn't a crashing bug-infested mess, like this?

Or are we just complaining because it's PETA? Because I can't see how Nintendo can take a stance that allows MK11 but disallows this...

People don't even know what they are arguing against. That's how ignorance works.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, why are people suddenly noticing this now? It's been out for like a year already.
I wonder how they snuck this stuff past Nintendo's certification.
Content is largely the domain of ESRB, not Nintendo. Current Nintendo largely doesn't seem to block games on a content basis unless they get rated AO.

How this managed to scrape by with only a T is perhaps a better question. IIRC digital-only games don't receive quite the same amount of scrutiny, so maybe they fudged the answers on their rating application a bit.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the actual content isn't anything more visually extreme than other games that are available, but there should probably be exceptions for harmful propaganda pushed by notorious orgs?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
How this managed to scrape by with only a T is perhaps a better question. IIRC digital-only games don't receive quite the same amount of scrutiny, so maybe they fudged the answers on their rating application a bit.

When making a digital game you have to fill out an IARC survey. If a ratings board determines after the release of the game that the rating is incorrect, the game will be removed from the eShop in that region until a version of the game with the appropriate rating is uploaded. This happened to me because the death animations in kuso were too graphic, so it went from a rating 0 to a rating 2 in Russia, causing the game to get pulled from European eShops for a month or so.

XP0zHSb.gif

This was the content in question.

That's why I'm baffled nothing has happened with Kitten Squad yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Text seems too explicit for a T rating imo.

(from the cutscene video)
"Six times Olivia has been forcibly impregnated by Sealand's employees"
"Simon committed suicide by repeatedly smashing his head into the walls of the tank"
"They castrated him without any pain killers, and he would never forget the pain could inflict"
"Michael could taste his own blood as it poured from his nose"
'When the shearer carelessly cut off a large patch of Michael skin and then proceeded to sew up the fresh wound with a needle and thread, the pain was unbearable."

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of them funding terrorists before. Could I get more detail about that?

They funded a known arsonist to attack a research site. The same guy goes around animal rights conventions and teaches people how to make bombs.

Penn and Teller had a show called Bullshit and there is en episode on PETA that goes into it in and other shitty stuff they do.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the cutscenes on Youtube. What they're intended to be showing is gory, but they're just still images that move around slightly. They aren't properly animated or anything. Like the Twitter user mentions an orca that commits suicide by bashing its head in. That sounds really graphic...except this is what it actually shows you

peta05kod.png

You don't see the orca bashing its head in. There's just a description of that happening and then that image follows.
omg put this behind spoilers, it's so gory

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I downloaded it cause it was free and deleted it cause it was a shit game.

Regardless of it being a PETA game or not, it was really just shit.

I dont remember any of those scenes from the youtube video, i guess i skipped them cause they are boring as shit. But they really dont seem that graphic at all.

But the game itself is really shit

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck PETA.
They would rather steal and kill your pets than have them live in "slavery".

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I get that the actual content isn't anything more visually extreme than other games that are available, but there should probably be exceptions for harmful propaganda pushed by notorious orgs?
If we're going to ban content from notorious organizations, I want to be the first to nominate the NRA, the GOP, and Fox News.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
PETA's objective is to raise as much money as possible, everything is just publicity stunts in service of that. As long as people who want to donate for animals remember the name PETA their goal is reached.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
This game has been on the eShop for ages. Why is this news now?

I find it hard to be scandalised by the content either.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
This game has been on the eShop for ages. Why is this news now?
Pick as many as you like:

1. Because Nintendo is "for teh kiddiez," so PETA propaganda on the eShop is an instant "Who will think of the children?" fodder.

2. Because jokes about Nintendo Seal of Quality are low-hanging fruit for people with the comic wit of damp tissue paper.

3. Because Nintendo.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If anything, those tweets probably caused more people to download the game that otherwise never would have heard about it. Anytime you tell the internet, "Do not do [thing]," they will do the thing.

The quotes in the title are a bit much. Feel free to hate PETA all you want, but it's still a game-- not a "game."

giphy.gif