• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Peter Moore has spoken candidly in the Edge Game Changers series about the demise of the Dreamcast.

Moore, who was the President of Sega Of America at the time, is a recognisable face amongst gamers (not least for the time he got a tattoo of GTA IV to announce it was coming to Xbox 360), and he opens up on the challenges the Dreamcast faced when it came to going up against the PlayStation 2 in the Sega Dreamcast Edge Game Changers feature.

Moore said: "PlayStation did a brilliant job of FUD-ing Sega and Dreamcast: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The gamer loved it and still loves his or her Dreamcast, but the positioning of the PS2 – things like the Emotion Engine – they did what Sony do really well: they drove hard, and they've done that with just about every iteration of PlayStation since."

While the Dreamcast had a strong start to life in the US, it then struggled to keep attention with Sony's new console on the horizon. However, it wasn't just Sony's console that impacted on the Dreamcast, as Moore tells Edge Game Changers about the issues around development at the time: "[The concerns were] becoming glaringly obvious when you looked at the Japanese style of development at the time, which was: 'Let the developers figure out what they want to make – then they will let you, the subsidiaries, know'. Maybe at prototype stage, but sometimes even when the game was going into alpha, only then would you figure out what your dev teams were doing. Sega had nine development teams working on projects in this way, and in the modern world this doesn't happen."

"One of the things that Sega had done successfully was open up through online gaming a broader demographic, a more mature demographic, and it was very clear to me as graphical fidelity was improving that you were able to now create more movie-like content. And so when the GTA phenomenon started to kick in it was clear, despite the initial controversy, that this was the way the industry was going. But our content [at Sega] was still very much Japanese. You know, everything involved samurai swords or ninjas or fish or fantasy. Yeah, well, we certainly saw it coming.

The Dreamcast has become a cult favourite, a console that was ahead of its time with a back catalogue that was the match of its rivals, and Moore highlights some of the reasons why the Dreamcast has been held in high regard since its launch: "There were a number of small but cumulative factors that demonstrated that not only was the machine and the games great for their time, [but] they were satisfying the gaming demands of a lot of players. Just that alone was very exciting to see: people loved playing with the product. What we also saw was the way that our marketing came together and really lifted the entire industry from being predominantly a toy category, typically enjoyed by the stereotypical 12-year-old gamer in their spare bedroom. It moved gaming from the spare room to the living room.

www.gamesradar.com

Peter Moore on why the plug was pulled on the Dreamcast

Ex-President of Sega Of America talks to Edge on why the Dreamcast died

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's kind of sad to hear, since I consider the Dreamcast era of Sega first-party development some of the most creative stuff put out by any company in any time period.

Sounds like that very Japanese output wasn't marketable outside of Japan. What a shame.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn I miss the Dreamcast days so much, what a glorious time it was. OP you are kinda quoting the whole article I think? Not sure if that's allowed.

Come back to Liverpool FC :(

Liverpool legend in such a short space of time. I never thought one of my gaming heroes would be a sporting related hero as well.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I presumed it died because it was so easy to burn CDs and play wtv you want on it...
I mean the MIL-CD exploit to play burned games didnt really become a thing until after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

Also it's annoying as hell to rip a GD-ROM and turn it into a bootable CD-R.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I presumed it died because it was so easy to burn CDs and play wtv you want on it...
You really need critical mass once piracy is widespread to see continued success (PSX, DS) but even then smaller games do take massive, massive hits because of it. Dreamcast burning wasn't really a thing in my circle til well after the funeral.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Man, I really loved the Dreamcast and i wish Sega was still around as a main console competitor. They had some really cool first party titles.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How many pages would Sega leaving the console market have generated if Era existed as it is then?

Imagine Nintendo or Sony calling it quits.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Damn I miss the Dreamcast days so much, what a glorious time it was. OP you are kinda quoting the whole article I think? Not sure if that's allowed.

Liverpool legend in such a short space of time. I never thought one of my gaming heroes would be a sporting related hero as well.

I don't follow football at all, but I do miss Moore from the games industry. What was he able to do at Liverpool?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't follow football at all, but I do miss Moore from the games industry. What was he able to do at Liverpool?

He was the CEO during the most successful period the club has had in 30 years. It's hard to quantify the work he did because we don't really get to see that side of football but I'm willing to give him some credit anyway.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come back to Liverpool FC :(

Moore left EA and was announced as the new CEO of the Liverpool Football Club on 27 February 2020. Moore took up his new role, which comprises running the business of the club, on 1 June 2020 and reported directly to the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group. Moore stepped down as CEO at the end of August 2020. During his tenure with the club, they won the Uefa Champions League, Fifa Club World Cup and the Premier League.

Not bad. Was he on cheat mode. :p Peter Moore's Football Manager.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It was in trouble before that was really possible.

Also one of the hallmarks of a high-piracy machine would be high hardware sales and low software sales - Dreamcast didn't really ever have strong hardware sales, except for the North American launch.

You still had to mod the PSX tho! Thats a extra barrier you know. Dreamcast didn't have that.
Others are correcting you on the part about having to mod the PlayStation, but I'll also point out that the PSP, for much of its life, allowed people to play whatever they wanted with minimal effort and often no additional hardware purchase, and piracy didn't kill it.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
It was in trouble before that was really possible.

Also one of the hallmarks of a high-piracy machine would be high hardware sales and low software sales - Dreamcast didn't really ever have strong hardware sales, except for the North American launch.

Others are correcting you on the part about having to mod the PlayStation, but I'll also point out that the PSP, for much of its life, allowed people to play whatever they wanted with minimal effort and often no additional hardware purchase, and piracy didn't kill it.
With all this piling on I can now presume I was presuming wrong lmao

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
yes I think the DC was quite good,
but following the Saturn which I think was a bit of fail, compared to the hype Sony had would be really hard, PS1 was still so extremely popular in 2000 and the hype for the PS2 was immense

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
How many pages would Sega leaving the console market have generated if Era existed as it is then?

Imagine Nintendo or Sony calling it quits.
It wasn't really like that though. Today's Nintendo and Sony are doing very well in the games business. Sega at the time was recovering from a long period of heavy losses and worsening reputation and was racing against time to make some money and customer base before the competition arrived. They were facing a bleak future and chose the easy way out - to take their massive IP base and start selling it where it could actually be sold.

Edit: it was still massive news of course. I remember it like yesterday. I was the resident Sega fanboy in a local web forum and everyone was happy to rub my face in it lol

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He really likes to pat himself on the back for some perceived change he thinks he made to the industry. Sorry, the Dreamcast may have had a few great games, but the PS2 with the dvd player was the real changer to how have systems were looked at.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He really likes to pat himself on the back for some perceived change he thinks he made to the industry. Sorry, the Dreamcast may have had a few great games, but the PS2 with the dvd player was the real changer to how have systems were looked at.

Do you not think the Dreamcast was just as influential when it came to how online systems were implemented?

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
They pulled the plug, because his Sega US bleed them dry by selling hardware far under price without any substantial result.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Thousands.

Across dozens of topics (with many more being closed), with some ridiculous number of bans.

For years (in most cases, for most of their childhood), the way Sega fans understood the console market was as a Nintendo/Sega battle. They had recently very reluctantly come to accept that it might be, at least temporarily, Nintendo/Sega/Sony*, with an asterisk of shame beside Sony because they were the new guys. The idea that it would be Nintendo/Sony was not on their mental horizon. When it gradually became clearer and clearer that Sega were not going to be able to continue selling the Dreamcast, the reaction from Sega fans was like a full spectrum blast of all of the five stages of grief simultaneously.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not think the Dreamcast was just as influential when it came to how online systems were implemented?
Unfortunately no. I give that the original Xbox. Like yes, we had segaNet, the fact that the system bombed and never got traction didn't make it influential. Being first isn't what matters here. The original Xbox and Xbox live are much more influential than the Dreamcast.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
To be fair I think the gaming media at the time built up the PS2 to be enormously more powerful than the Dreamcast and it would blow it away.

well yeah it was more powerful, but it wasn't that big of a leap. Dreamcast could have held its own in that regard.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I still buy Dreamcast games when an indie surprises me. I love that the system still gets games released for it.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Unfortunately no. I give that the original Xbox. Like yes, we had segaNet, the fact that the system bombed and never got traction didn't make it influential. Being first isn't what matters here. The original Xbox and Xbox live are much more influential than the Dreamcast.

I think the xbox team was definitely influenced by the failings in Sega's system but I take your point.

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Was he on cheat mode. :p Peter Moore's Football Manager.
That's fucking crazy.

I think he's right. Not having something like GTA sucked and their efforts were either not all like GTA (shenmue) or not good enough and too late (headhunter)

And the FUD and rumors were intense. And by the time the ps2 came out and wasn't THAT amazing it was too late.

You realise that show was run by peter moore too right? lmao? The original Xbox is basically a continuation of peter moore's dreamcast strategy, not being torpedo'd by japan. Mix of big budget western games and niche japanese titles, online play, 2k sports games

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I was so disappointed when I heard the Dreamcast was being discontinued.
It was the first and only Sega product I got on launch day. I remember reading about it coming and I was really hyped for the machine and everything it was capable of.
So sad to see it cut short.