Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the xbox team was definitely influenced by the failings in Sega's system but I take your point.
I'll concede and say the Xbox team probably was inspired by what not to do, but they had a much more cohesive plan of how the online was going to be really a pillar for the console (even though it wasn't ready until the following summer). Having a standardized Ethernet port + hard drive puts it ahead in being more influential in my mind

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
It wasn't really like that though. Today's Nintendo and Sony are doing very well in the games business. Sega at the time was recovering from a long period of heavy losses and worsening reputation and was racing against time to make some money and customer base before the competition arrived. They were facing a bleak future and chose the easy way out - to take their massive IP base and start selling it where it could actually be sold.

Edit: it was still massive news of course. I remember it like yesterday. I was the resident Sega fanboy in a local web forum and everyone was happy to rub my face in it lol

Yeah, it'd be more like Microsoft calling it quits after another generation like the one they just had. It seemed like Sega had always been there, but you could only be so surprised.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all this piling on I can now presume I was presuming wrong lmao

It probably didn't help, but the Dreamcast had an attach rate of like 8 or so. People were buying games for their Dreamcasts, there just weren't enough people buying Dreamcasts.

And most people probably weren't downloading too many Dreamcast games in 2000, given the file sizes.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I only ever knew one person with a DC and he only kept it for a few weeks before he traded it in for a PS2, GT3 and a rush hour DVD.
I remember at the time that the DVD drive was a huge thing because not only did you have the next PS but also a dvd player.

I was a GC guy during that gen and my younger brothers shared a PS2 so I missed out on the DC. Last year I did look into buying a DC and finding some games but I'd never really have the time to play the thing as much as I'd like.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
My one and only Sega console ever, and I still love it. Some of my fondest memories are of playing SoA and Sonic Adventure 1/2 on this. As much as the N64 wowed with 3D graphics, Dreamcast was the first time that 3D graphics WOWed me

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Dreamcast Mini, please.

It deserves discovery by a new generation.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Soulcalibur
Sega Swirl
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Jet Set Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
Shenmue
Grandia II
Virtua Tennis
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Dead or Alive 2
Hydro Thunder
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Space Channel 5
Phantasy Star Online (with revived servers)

Just do it, Sega.

Just do it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
How many pages would Sega leaving the console market have generated if Era existed as it is then?

Imagine Nintendo or Sony calling it quits.

The mood in Segas dedicated IRC channel was grim as fuck. We were furious. I still miss that community. Forums have nothing on being able to chat with Sega employees and compete in the trivia contests and shit for tshirts, dreamcast magazine subscriptions and 1st party games.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Dreamcast Mini, please.

It deserves discovery by a new generation.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Soulcalibur
Sega Swirl
Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Jet Set Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
Shenmue
Grandia II
Virtua Tennis
Dead or Alive 2
Hydro Thunder
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Space Channel 5
Phantasy Star Online (with revived servers)

Just do it, Sega.

Just do it.

Put Zombie Revenge and Cannon Spike on there. And Seaman, for giggles.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Peter Moore's right there. The industry was moving towards more AAA cinematic style experiences whilst Sega were still making arcade games for the most part. That and they just didn't have the mindshare to compete with Sony.

In the end, not only did Sega's arcade business crumble but also their console hardware business too.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
FlorianĂłpolis, Brazil
My favorite console of all time. And he's exactly right (as usual), Sony started a pretty heavy desinformation campaign saying stuff like "Next gen starts when we say so" or something along those lines, along with the "emotion engine" bullshit , and the public went with it, missing one of the best lineups ever in a 18 month period.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Dreamcast died because it was bleeding money and then Sega ran out of money (not helped by Bernie Stolar stabbing the Saturn in the neck while Sega had no other product to sell for a couple years), and then Sega saw the PS2 looming on the horizon (which just about anyone could have predicted as an upcoming giant from the reigning industry leader) and realized that there was no chance that they could bleed their way to victory against it. Nevermind the rivals coming after PlayStation 2, like Nintendo.

Sega had a great product with the Dreamcast, but they had no clue what to do with it.

I presumed it died because it was so easy to burn CDs and play wtv you want on it...
You could burn Dreamcast games to CD and play them on unmodified hardware because Sega thought it might be fun to let people boot code from multimedia CDs. They didn't realize that videogames=bootable code.

As soon as Sega realized that this opened the door to piracy (which didn't really kick into high gear until after Sega canned the DC), Sega deleted that useless feature. There are some rare "version 2" Dreamcasts out there that are entirely unable to play pirate CDs, because they can't boot multimedia CDs. The problem is, Dreamcast barely survived beyond it's launch. If Dreamcast had survived, the piracy door would have been slammed shut. As is, it looks like Dreamcast security was completely obliterated. Because nobody ever saw Sega's response to the breach.

What were these rumors about, I loved my PS2 but that was just due to the games so maybe these rumors were hardware related?
George Lucas wished that he had known about the PS2 before he had made the Special Editions of the Star Wars movies, because a PS2 would have made his movies better for easier.

Saddam Hussein was trying to buy PS2s to use as guidance systems for his SCUD missiles.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
The dreamcast was not able to change former Saturn owners minds here in the US and Sony built a strong enough brand that it took the mindshare about a year after its launch. I know it sounds like a generic answer but, it honestly is the truth. Dreamcast was a great console way ahead of its time. I played the shit out of it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Any thread about the death of the Dreamcast needs to have a link to Jeff Gerstmann telling the story of how he learned about its death.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
What were these rumors about, I loved my PS2 but that was just due to the games so maybe these rumors were hardware related?
Mostly just rumors about how insanely powerful it was going to be. Like it was going to blow the Dreamcast out of the water with it's graphics. I remember the prevailing attitude at the time was people passing on the Dreamcast because they'd rather wait 6 months (or whatever it was) and get the more powerful PS2. When it came out it was definitely better but not on the level people built it up to be and by that time the Dreamcast was effectively dead.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Man the Dreamcast was great. So many people choose to ignore it and wait for PS2 for all kinds of reasons but the "it's so powerful they want them for missiles" was always my favorite. Like it's not because of games or DVD, just "if it's that strong it's obviously better". I wish games could have paused in that era for a bit, so many new games and game types, so much experimenting.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I presumed it died because it was so easy to burn CDs and play wtv you want on it...
i heard that as an excuse, but I would guess that the amount of Dreamcast owners that had access to a computer AND burner plus images, or to someone selling bootleg discs even, was probably relatively low. They missed some sales, no doubt. But if they had kept going, and hadn't been psyched out by Sony, they would have sold plenty of games and had a much beloved system on-going.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Peter Moore's right there. The industry was moving towards more AAA cinematic style experiences whilst Sega were still making arcade games for the most part. That and they just didn't have the mindshare to compete with Sony.

In the end, not only did Sega's arcade business crumble but also their console hardware business too.

Nah, Sega's arcade business went up around 2001/2.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
IMO PS2 announcement killed DC, the biggest selling point was the DVD drive, back then a DVD player was expensive, my first DVD player was a PS2, PS2 wasn't the only factor, Sega slowly destroyed itself for years, PS2 just hammered the final nail..

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I'll ever have that feeling again, like I did once I bought the Dreamcast and played games like Sonic and Soul Calibur for the first time, or PSO, MSR, heck even Virtua Tennis, not to mention Shenmue, House of the Dead 2, F355 Challenge, RE: CV, Crazy Taxi, etc.

I was sooo impressed by the graphics, it was such a huge leap over PS1 at that time, it was crazy good. Somehow I ended up liking so many different games for the Dreamcast. PSO was the first real online RPG for me at it was really special, playing with people from all over the world with those auto translation features of words, in order to communicate with someone from let's say Japan.

There were so many games that I will remember forever I think, a lot of different types of games, very high quality in my opinion and some of the best (arcade) games ever. I can only hope for a decent Dreamcast Mini, but it will never capture that experience again.

I liked the PS2 and many other systems, but that graphical jump was really special with the DC. It's the console I'll always "like" and remember in a very positive way, same as the Amiga for Computers.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Moore said: "PlayStation did a brilliant job of FUD-ing Sega and Dreamcast: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The gamer loved it and still loves his or her Dreamcast, but the positioning of the PS2 – things like the Emotion Engine – they did what Sony do really well: they drove hard, and they've done that with just about every iteration of PlayStation since."

Talk about sour grapes. Funnily enough, he doesn't even mention how his former employer EA contributed on DC's demise, and that MS is the company that's most often associated with spreading FUD. I can't recall any FUD campaigns against DC.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
You still had to mod the PSX tho! Thats a extra barrier you know. Dreamcast didn't have that.
Burning and playing Dreamcast games now is dead simple (if you still have a CD burner in your PC and some extra CD-Rs lying around), but in 1999-2001 most people didn't have CD burners. Still less of a barrier than PSX, but yeah. I was pretty into the DC and didn't even know how easy piracy was, meanwhile most PlayStation owners I knew pirated everything.

What I remember was most people I knew not really giving a shit about DC and waiting for PS2. GameCube and Xbox were on the horizon too (though more for the enthusiast/hardcore crowd, since PS2 massively outsold those as well).

Shit, looking back the DC had a lot working against it. The controller couldn't really handle ports very well since it had so few buttons.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to be in the timeline where the masses embraced the very japanese games and the DC (and gamecube). Avoiding years of brown fog filtered games

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when Space Channel 5 is treated as a big release by Sega even though it turned out to be an absolute flop, it's not really surprising. I
t was also selling pretty terribly outside its launch period.

Jun 17, 2018
Finding out the system you were bought for Christmas at 14 was ceasing all development in just a few months was a bit of a kick to be fair, but it was an amazing console. It was just like having an arcade cabinet in your house.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
This is what I experienced. Sony destroyed the Dreamcast with their marketing/hype cycle.

For me it was more about the type of games these systems had.

SEGA bet big on short, arcade-y experiences like VirtuaSoccer, JSR, CrazyTaxi, SoulCalibur etc.
Sony had that too plus longer, more sophisticated experiences like FF, MGS, Gran Turismo etc.

+ DVD player
+ EA Sports *
+ Piracy

*NBA and NFL 2K were on par with EA but they simply didnt have a proper football game for Europe. No PES or FIFA is a death sentence for any console here.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree with him. I owned all the Sega consoles and the Dreamcast was a great machine but the reason it failed was because of what Sega had done in the past. Namely the Mega CD, 32X and Saturn. The gaming public had given up on Sega. Sad because they pretty much did everything right with the Dreamcast.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast is an excellent machine with a killer library. As a retro console, I hold it in higher regard than my PS2. There, I said it.

Give me a home console with an arcade focus, and I'll spend money on it. It's that simple for me.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't kill the PSX.

You needed a mod chip or that action replay with the spring for later iterations. I think there was an earlier ps1 model that you would swap the cdr in after a real game booted but I may be wrong.

The Dreamcast was a cdr to boot other cdrs, then afterward the cdrs were self boot.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the Dreamcast had an issue where it would randomly reset and the only way to fix it was to open the Dreamcast up and slightly bend six pins. And that was only a temp fix as the pins would need bending again every so often.