• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm gonna use this as a springboard for something i've been thinking about for a while. ERA, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong/misunderstanding the situation.

I've come to believe that there's a group of people that have latched on to PDP as a way of doing "soft-recruitment" by introducing the following ideas to normal PDP fans:

- "Virtue Signaling"
- "The left just wants to shut down anything they don't agree with"
- "PC culture is out of control"

These ideas introduce the normal fans to more politically inclined/radicalized YouTubers and in turn these new YouTubers pick up where these "recruiters" left off by introducing the more racist rhetoric.

Years ago these people wouldn't be caught dead referencing PDP memes cause he was seen as a blight on the internet. He was a "cringe-y" youtuber for kids that made money yelling into a mic and playing video games. They still don't truly care about him or his reputation, but they latch on to him for his audience and because they can hide behind him. Now as to why PDP might find it so "hard" to push back against this is that he's fully aware if he comes out against him these "recruiters" will drop him hard and move on to their next internet personality. Even now with his weak-ass rebuttal you see people posting stuff like "why did you cave in to their demands? Don't apologize."

Make no mistake. PDP is a shithead who has been playing with fire for the clicks. He has allowed this to happen his community by not wanting to appear as an "SJW" and all that.

Adding to that, the moment the Alt right starting latching on to him was when the Exposé by the WSJ released.

Before that, there was no connection between them, but starting with that incident, to be even more precise, the moment J.K.Rowling got into this, Pewdiepie was contacted by Sargon of Arkand and another alt-right youtuber to support him in order for him to be able to "strike back" against his critics.

That's where his personal decent into the alt-right rabbit hole started in public, his content followed soon after

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when a teacher said PDP is garbage and one of his students recorded that and uploaded to Twitter and PDP asked his cult to shut down the teacher and then even photos of the teacher's daughter came out to the net?

That's PDP, he knows what kind of cult he has and the abilities of a lot of his followers "hacking" things (remember the "subscribe to PDP" massive printer hack?)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I mean this was the obvious move to make years ago if he really cared. The fact that he hasn't says a lot
Yeah, youre right. The subs(and money) are more important to him than making the world a better place. I don't care how much he gives to charity, it'll never be enough to bring back lost lives on the account of his irresponsible behavior. I feel defeated, I just want positive change in this world but we're continuing to go the other direction. And to think, 10 years ago I used to believe all the old racists would eventually die off and the world would be a better place. How naive I was. Now we have internet celebrities that garner young hate groups as their followers. It's fucking depressing.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I think you guys just really hate pewdiepie. Obviously hes said dumb shit in the past. Hes a big name, people can take inspiration from anywhere. If I'm him send your condolences, which he did.
PDP again isn't the end all be all. He isn't the source of all the world's strife. He isn't even the only gamer that plays closely with bigots. But he has a big following and he continually doubles down on his bigoted "jokes". He's focused on because it's dead simple for him to reverse the script and make enemies with white supremacists but he chooses not to. You act like pulling shit like "Death to all Jews" is somehow not enough reason to find him more than distasteful. Like should he have to do more for people to be justified in not liking him?

People are sleeping soundly tonight knowing that they at least don't rub elbows with scumbags like Paul Joseph Watson and Ben Shapiro. This is without even going into the fact that we can both be sorrowful and feel sympathy for the victims and their families on top of talking about the solutions to choke out the very bigoted culture that people just like this shooter come out of. PDP may have said his condolences but that's no different from the GOP politicians who say thoughts and prayers after a school shooting while stuffing their pockets full of NRA money. It costs nothing to actually be sorry to see people die. That's just base level humanity. What is actually more impressive is taking a firm stand against white supremacy and bigotry which PDP has consistently been unwilling to do.

Last edited:

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Terrorists aren't born, they're made.
Is this a very bad "gotcha moment"?
Regardless of what the killer wanted or not there is a discussion to be had about things influencing hate.
How about treating it as an act of terror and examining what sorts of things radicalized the terrorist and others that share the beliefs of the terrorists?
I do agree that it's important to learn how this kind of fucked up shit happens to a specific person. But it requires a lot of nuance that the media isn't capable of. It just gets sensationalized which isn't helping anything.

So I think in short term it's better to avoid manifesto, but in long term it should be carefully studied. Not for the pieces where he blames or endorses someone, but for the pieces where he gives info on groups and events that radicalized him. I mean it's truly fucked up document.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PDP is what happens when you make 4chan posts source of your work. He overdosed on shitposting and edgy teens lap that up.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I think in short term it's better to avoid manifesto, but in long term it should be carefully studied. Not for the pieces where he blames or endorses someone, but for the pieces where he gives info on groups and events that radicalized him. I mean it's truly fucked up document.

In principle I might agree if this was some unknown movement, but the widespread proliferation of white supremacy on youtube and imageboards (not to mention its centuries long history of using the same rhetoric and same tactics) means we already know everything we need to know in order to stop the groups responsible. The problem is a lack of political will to criminalize (or at least like, not accept in polite company) white people calling for the murder of minorities through very slightly veiled rhetoric.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
But honestly, on twitter at least, I feel that 95% of the people are defending pewdiepie.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you often define right action by what is popular?

I feel there's the same level of hate for pewdiepie as for the shooter.
This is incredibly dishonest. No one here is suggesting Felix Kjellberg be arrested or given the death penalty. They're suggesting that a guy who has repeatedly led his enormous audience of young men to white supremacist thinkers and downplayed the seriousness of a culture of xenophobia and racism probably shouldn't be allowed to continue doing that.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
PDP again isn't the end all be all. He isn't the source of all the world's strife. He isn't even the only gamer that plays closely with bigots. But he has a big following and he continually doubles down on his bigoted "jokes". He's focused on because it's dead simple for him to reverse the script and make enemies with white supremacists but he chooses not to. You act like pulling shit like "Death to all Jews" is somehow not enough reason to find him more than distasteful. Like should he have to do more for people to be justified in not liking him?

People are sleeping soundly tonight knowing that they at least don't rub elbows with scumbags like Paul Joseph Watson and Ben Shapiro. This is without even going into the fact that we can both be sorrowful and feels sympathy for the victims and their families on top of talking about the solutions to choke out the very bigoted culture that people just like this shooter come out of. PDP may have said his condolences but that's no different from the GOP politicians who say thoughts and prayers after a school shooting while stuffing their pockets full of NRA money. It costs nothing to actually be sorry to see people die. That's just base level humanity. What is actually more impressive is taking a firm stand against white supremacy and bigotry which PDP has consistently been unwilling to do.

Just want to thank you for writing some of the best replies in this thread. You're really cutting through a lot of the BS.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
What does that have to do with anything? Do you often define right action by what is popular?
This is incredibly dishonest. No one here is suggesting Felix Kjellberg be arrested or given the death penalty. They're suggesting that a guy who has repeatedly led his enormous audience of young men to white supremacist thinkers and downplayed the seriousness of a culture of xenophobia and racism probably shouldn't be allowed to continue doing that.

For the first part, that's not what I meant at all. I mean that is sad that most of the people are saying that pewdiepie is like a saint and he did nothing wrong.
For the second part I said is what I felt. I don't want to say that any of you think that. Just that the level of hate for him is extremely high.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see so many people in this thread debating whether or not he is a Nazi or isn't a Nazi. Fuck that shit. At the least He is with Nazis and that shit ain't better. like how many times does a man have to show his true colors to be labeled a Nazi

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think PewDiePie is directly responsible for this guy doing this heinous shit, but at the same time he's (PDP) is doing his part in normalizing anti-semitic and racists talk with his fanbase. I'm glad he's distanced himself from what happened in NZ, but Felix is not innocent in the grand scheme of things.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
CNN is reporting on it:

Take another example. Before the attack, the gunman told his online viewers to subscribe to the YouTube channel of PewDiePie, who has 89 million followers on the platform. PewDiePie, a Swedish gaming YouTuber whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, has in the past promoted alt-right themes and attracted criticism for lauding an anti-Semitic YouTube channel.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/15/tech/christchurch-internet-radicalization-intl/index.html

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just really hope that all of our gaming podcasts and people that we do watch and pay attention to start saying something about this. It's not enough for me anymore that people are "against hate and violence." You need to call this stuff exactly what it is and shine a light and who and what is responsible. Doing anything else just feels like people don't want to stick up for Jews, Muslims, etc.

Heck, when toxic gamers were going nuts at Insomniac over the puddles in Spider-Man, every games media personality I know was like "not cool guys!!!!" But when large swaths of the community are activated to pursue hateful agendas, this same group is largely silent.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's wierd to see him going from being a harmless gaming guy to an hate-spreading inspiration of xenophobic mass murders. But at this point it's no surprise. Distancing him from this is probably going to cost him more subscribers than not doing anything.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I see so many people in this thread debating whether or not he is a Nazi or isn't a Nazi. Fuck that shit. At the least He is with Nazis and that shit ain't better. like how many times does a man have to show his true colors to be labeled a Nazi
If you're not a Nazi but is friends with a Nazi, then does that make you a Nazi?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Just want to thank you for writing some of the best replies in this thread. You're really cutting through a lot of the BS.
No need for thanks. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and have to look at people in postions of power continue to perpetuate the bs that creates violent offenders. I'm an ally to Jewish people. I'm an ally to Muslim people. I don't like watching them consistently get slaughtered and our culture as a whole try to pretend there aren't ways to choke the very rhetoric that puts me and my allies in actual danger. It takes so little to just renounce this shit but time and time again we have to have these discussions where people want to misinterpret and warp what people are really asking for. Too often Jewish people, Muslim people, black people, Hispanic people, gay and trans people have to look on in silence as their suffering is ignored or made fun of. We're the butt of jokes just for existing and we're "terrorist hatemongers" when we speak up. I really can't put up with that kind of culture any more so I write in topics like this lol I write in hopes that at least a few people will stop trying to flip the script and internalize what is really being asked of those with privilege and influence.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're not a Nazi but is friends with a Nazi, then does that make you a Nazi?

Not necessarily. It does make you a Nazi sympathizer, though.
If you're not a Nazi, but friends with a Nazi, collaborate with a Nazi, and share Nazis' nazi ideology, make jokes that Nazis like, and attract Nazis, what makes you that, then?

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I think you guys just really hate pewdiepie. Obviously hes said dumb shit in the past. Hes a big name, people can take inspiration from anywhere. If I'm him send your condolences, which he did.

-Then why does he follow people like Lauren Southern, Paul Joseph Watson, and Stefan Molyneux on Twitter?
-Why does he actively bring up alt-right memes and trophs in light-hearted ways that normalizes them (despite being told multiple times)?
-Why do groups like Daily Stormer, UKIP promote him?

There comes a point when one has to realize that he does all of these things because A) he is a racist or B) he is trying dog-whistle to racists so they subscribe to him (and frankly that is no better). BTW, most racist or those courting racists are not going to come out right and say they are racist. In fact most go out of their way to deny it, so that they gain/maintain mainstream appeal but their actions speak more loudly. There are a number white nationalist and alt-right websites that promote him and his content, and he does not actively try to distance himself from that (in fact the people he follows on twitter suggests he likes to keep some of these people close).

If PewDiePie wants to genuinely distance himself from this, then he should unfollow the alt-right/far-right accounts on Twitter, he should no longer bring up alt-right memes and symbols, and he should full on post a video apologizing for all of the stuff he has done (following/promoting these accounts, the memes, etc) and ask those that follow him who believe this stuff to unsubscribe. He should also be vocal against his image being used on alt-right/far-right websites and social media accounts. He doesn't do this stuff, because dog-whistling to these people gets him subs and views, and that is a bigger priority to him and frankly its disgusting.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No need for thanks. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and have to look at people in postions of power continue to perpetuate the bs that creates violent offenders. I'm an ally to Jewish people. I'm an ally to Muslim people. I don't like watching them consistently get slaughtered and our culture as a whole try to pretend there aren't ways to choke the very rhetoric that puts me and my allies in actual danger. It takes so little to just renounce this shit but time and time again we have to have these discussions where people want to misinterpret and warp what people are really asking for. Too often Jewish people, Muslim people, black people, Hispanic people, gay and trans people have to look on in silence as their suffering is ignored or made fun of. We're the butt of jokes just for existing and we're "terrorist hatemongers" when we speak up. I really can't put up with that kind of culture any more so I write in topics like this lol I write in hopes that at least a few people will stop trying to flip the script and internalize what is really being asked of those with privilege and influence.

Cuban Jew here, I think people often cite the world as "more easily offended" than it was before when, actually there are just more voices in the room.

It means a lot, everything, when allies use their voices to support us. As you said, it takes SO LITTLE to renounce this shit, and it really hurts when people don't.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White nihilism creates white terrorism.

PDP is a large part of that patchwork of anti-humanity.

For years we've been lulled by phrases like 'trolling' to intentionally obfuscate the promise of inevitable violence. Otherwise decent folk have used it to shield themselves from unpleasant truths about their society, family and friends, thus enabling their journey to complete apathy. Others use the concept as active cover to insidiously propagate seeds into young impressionable minds by conditioning them to see empathy as a weakness and caring about others as tantamount to being a non person. At that point it's only a matter of time until that person inflicts harm on another be it emotional, mental or physical.

The patterns are stark enough that nobody has any excuse for continuing to enable that process unless they willfully chose to spread it, which brings us to a nexus of culpability; 'trolling' is no longer an excuse and it never was but time and repeated mass murder makes appeals to it that much more egregious.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

There's something in the YouTube water right?

That has to be what makes these folks says stupid shit

They need to stick together otherwise they could all potentially get regulated and shut down. It directly effects their pay checks if there's any sort of intervention to quell their fan bases. Freedom of speech and making whatever content they want is more important to them than telling Pewdiepie he should take responsibility for letting white supremacists worship him. Social media is disgusting and these people are directly responsible for letting it get out of hand. They have so many kids watching them that they need to set better examples. Yet here they are thinking about themselves first and foremost.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I officially unsubscribed from Markiplier and Jacksepticeye today. I'm over their apologist bullshit.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They need to stick together otherwise they could all potentially get regulated and shut down. It directly effects their pay checks if there's any sort of intervention to quell their fan bases. Freedom of speech and making whatever content they want is more important than telling Pewdiepie he should take responsibility for letting white supremacists worship him. Social media is disgusting and these people are directly responsible for letting it get out of hand. They have so many kids watching them that they need to set better examples. Yet here they are thinking about themselves first and foremost.

Oh I know, it's basically a very stupid cult.

Just that lady saying keep being compassionate is just like what planet are you on

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
In principle I might agree if this was some unknown movement, but the widespread proliferation of white supremacy on youtube and imageboards (not to mention its centuries long history of using the same rhetoric and same tactics) means we already know everything we need to know in order to stop the groups responsible. The problem is a lack of political will to criminalize (or at least like, not accept in polite company) white people calling for the murder of minorities through very slightly veiled rhetoric.
I actually think that politicians are the cause of this problem. It's easy to win elections with populism and they take advantage of it. These radicalized men would have forgotten about all this crazy shit if conservative media didn't remind them every day. I know it sounds silly but it's impossible to control every radicalized person. Only setting an example and education can help.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
I sincerely hope this will be a lesson for PDP. I believe he's a lost and unbelievable rich guy who doesn't understand what kind of power his actions and words have on people. He's bullshit needs to stop NOW.

The world is really fuming with hate and sadly it shows here on ERA too.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
They need to stick together otherwise they could all potentially get regulated and shut down. It directly effects their pay checks if there's any sort of intervention to quell their fan bases. Freedom of speech and making whatever content they want is more important to them than telling Pewdiepie he should take responsibility for letting white supremacists worship him. Social media is disgusting and these people are directly responsible for letting it get out of hand. They have so many kids watching them that they need to set better examples. Yet here they are thinking about themselves first and foremost.

it's a bad look for streamers to rally around pdp right now. if you're getting defensive about 49 people dead, you need to take a long look in the mirror

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're friends with people who think certain people shouldn't exist because of the color of their skin and have no problem with such a philosophy, you're a POS. Shit isn't hard.

Pewdiepie could retire today and not have to want for anything for the rest of his life. When you have more empathy for someone like this and "think of the paycheck" rather than the fifty fucking people murdered in cold blood because of edgy shitlord nihilism you are part of the problem. Markplier or whatever the fuck that asshole's name is can go fuck himself into the sun for all I care.