blonded

Oct 30, 2017
So are the different companies working on the vaccine all sharing notes with each other or are they all working in isolation?

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
It really feels like there's light at the end of the tunnel now

So are the different companies working on the vaccine all sharing notes with each other or are they all working in isolation?
Each company is working on different kinds of vaccines. The BioNTech vaccine is one of two that contain genetic code of the virus that teaches the body to train immunity

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
These are amazing news, if the statistically more risky 10% population of each country could be vaccined throughout December/January, that would be a huge boost in the fight against the virus, as it would have a huge effect in morbidity and deaths.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
On 60 minutes last night they quoted a survey that said only 60% of Doctors said they would take it and only 40% of Nurses.

Now imagine what the up take will be in the general population.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm reading this correctly in that 90% effective means that nine out of ten people, after getting the vaccine, could basically walk into a room fully of coughing COVID people and still not get it?

Because my understanding after reading some stuff about vaccination in general was that there was a high chance that early vaccines could very well lead to a higher chance of mild symptoms but not necessarily break the chain of infection.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Wondering what a post-vaccine world will look like. Will we be able eventually to walk around without masks? Are employers going to require employees to show proof they got a vaccine each year?

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
So I'm reading this correctly in that 90% effective means that nine out of ten people, after getting the vaccine, could basically walk into a room fully of coughing COVID people and still not get it?
No. It takes 28 days for the first jab to take effect and then 7 days for the second one to start being effective and immunise the receiver

Protection in patients was achieved seven days after the second of two doses, and 28 days after the first, according to preliminary findings.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Fantastic news but I'm wondering how they will organise production if other superior vaccines are subsequently discovered?

Also Republican conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with the timing!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news but I'm wondering how they will organise production if other superior vaccines are subsequently discovered?

Also Republican conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with the timing!

Trump himself said it was weeks away, just weeks after the election.

Oct 27, 2017

Because my understanding after reading some stuff about vaccination in general was that there was a high chance that early vaccines could very well lead to a higher chance of mild symptoms but not necessarily break the chain of infection.
Think of it more like a comparison to unvaccinated people.

A population of vaccinated people will have only 10% the number of infections as an unvaccinated population.

It's not quite accurate to apply it to your "chances" of getting sick (unless it's 100% effective).

Oct 30, 2017
I'd imagine this and the Oxford Vaccine should be rolled out in January to frontline healthcare workers. I can't imagine the general public (beyond the seriously vulnerable) getting access until next summer, really. There's just not enough production capacity.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So we are getting a Biden victory, very promising news about a potential corona vaccine and next-gen within like a week?
2020 is wild y´all

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I await the Anti Vax conspiracies from the Trumpers about how this was released after the election so it couldn't help Trump even though none of them would have taken it and would have spread misinformation about how it would fuck you up.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

He doesn't realize it's a compliment to Biden on the stock market.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
trump punching the air rn

seriously though, great news. 2020 trying its hardest to redeem itself

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

Seems like they expect immunity to last a year

I understand that it has been less than a year and all, but I am a bit disappointed.
Still, if the vaccine is easy enough, I don't care if I have to get a jab a year.
Just give me a paper that says that I have the vaccine and I can go wherever I want. Fuck the no vaxers.
For sure, I really want to be free, and a vaccine is the only real way of doing it.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Should I get hyped? Or is there a chance this vaccine turns out to not work..?