Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Very good to hear that progress is being made, hopefully it continues to pan out and we can start vaccinations at some point next year.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Holy shit, 90%?! This is insane. Like, really, insane. Even if the percentage should drop ten points, it would be much larger than most predictions from the last months (50-55%).

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Sounds amazing on paper... but before getting too excited, let's keep in mind that
a) People still need to get actually vaccinated (if they are willing to)
and
b) I wonder if this vaccine will also be effective against new/different strains like the Mink one in Denmark recently for instance.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
It is hard to be completely excited, but this is so good to hear. Obviously nothing is a guarantee, but this news, Trump getting sent packing and next gen consoles launching, November looks like it is telling 2020 to do one.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
images

Mar 3, 2018
Great news, hope it's deployed so the vulnerable population and peoples such as doctors and nurses can get it soon.

my school already annonces it will be online for all of 2021 so I am going into next year with that in mind. Personally don't expect to get a vaccine until end of 2021 just based on logistics and other factors.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Great stuff. People were getting worried that their expected milestone slipped (the first readout was expected in October) but I guess you can't control when people in your study get sick. 90% efficacy should've read out at 35 positives if I remember correctly, and 94 cases is like the 3rd or 4th milestone. So by the looks of it, the unlucky 8 or so positives who were in the vaccine group cropped up early!

Hope they coordinate with the other vaccine developers to mitigate against this poisoning their trials. We need the options

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Biontech/Pfizer deliberately waited publishing their test results til after the election? :P

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the effectiveness percentage of the average vaccine?

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
The irony is, the vaccine trial (according to WaPo) finished faster than expected because the US failed to control the COVID infection rates.

The trial hasn't completed. Their published protocol states final analysis will be conducted at 164 cases. So we're more than halfway but no there yet. Also, they will still follow up to check for long term efficacy and safety profile

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
What's the effectiveness percentage of the average vaccine?

IIRC, the flu vaccine ranges from 50-70% effective. The measles vaccine is about 93% effective. Fauci said in an interview a few months back he was expecting and hopeful for a COVID vaccine with an effective range of 50-70%, so a 90% effective vaccine is a HUGE boon.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
People in the UK will become complacent when hearing this news. Good news, but prematurely releasing a statement could be harmful.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
90% effectiveness would be a miracle, the disease is basically gone if it's that good and enough people take it

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the vaccine. MMR has about a 90% effectiveness percentage, but the average flu jab tends to be about 50%.
IIRC, the flu vaccine ranges from 50-70% effective. The measles vaccine is about 93% effective. Fauci said in an interview a few months back he was expecting and hopeful for a COVID vaccine with an effective range of 50-70%, so a 90% effective vaccine is a HUGE boon.
It depends. For the flu it's 40%. For measles it's 99%.
Ah thanks! That's illuminating.

I imagine we'll be wearing masks at large well into 2022.

Bengraven