• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
What are you "going with" ? He's not looking at MS' balance sheets. He's speculating on what profitability could mean in context. Not proclaiming to know that Gamepass profitability can only be true if the math is funky.

Like he said, The Gamepass business model absolutely wouldn't work without the infrastructure provided by the overall Xbox business. That's not really in question.

But it's it "creative accounting" to refrain from counting normal Xbox expenses against Gamepass, even though Gamepass benefits from the expenditure? I don't think so… because those same Xbox expenses exist with or without Gamepass.

Edit: am I separating Gamepass and xcloud? I guess kinda… when I think of Gamepass I'm usually thinking of the multi-game subscription…

His point I think is that the statement doesn't really mean anything. If it was doing real numbers it would be on some other accounting documents (can't remember what he called them).

So it's somewhere in the middle, and with the way "creative accounting" works it could be nearly any kind of money and he still wouldn't be lying, of course it's profitable if you're leaving out most of the costs associated with it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
His point I think is that the statement doesn't really mean anything. If it was doing real numbers it would be on some other accounting documents (can't remember what he called them).

So it's somewhere in the middle, and with the way "creative accounting" works it could be nearly any kind of money and he still wouldn't be lying, of course it's profitable if you're leaving out most of the costs associated with it.

That's not what he said.

He said that because Gamepass is a internal initiative they CAN be more liberal with accounting practices. That doesn't mean they ARE taking those liberties.

If most of the costs are already expensed too other parts of the business, they aren't being "left out" to appear profitable. It means that there exist efficiencies that allow one aspect of the business to operate more cheaply.

My employer has a customer that burns coal to generate electricity. They also sell synthetic gypsum to drywall manufactures. The syn-gyp Is a byproduct of environmental protection measures that the power company is legally required to take.

So, would you count the cost of synthesizing the gypsum as expense of the syn-gyp business or an expense of the the power generating business? The answer is- it's a cost of the main business, generating power… this company would incur these same synthesizing costs whether or not their syn-gyp business existed.

It's the same with Gamepass. Most of the expenses that make Gamepass tick are costs associated with running Xbox anyway. So it's not funky accounting to leave them out when figuring that Gamepass is profitable.

Gamepass' entire offering is essentially a byproduct of Xbox's platform- it's just a portion of the Xbox store repackaged and sold a different way. The only Gamepass specific expenses is the cost of convincing Devs/pubs to go along with the repackaging- and these costs are relatively low. If Gamepass subs are bringing in 200m a month in revenue, it's hard to believe licensing costs exceed that.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what he said.

He said that because Gamepass is a internal initiative they CAN be more liberal with accounting practices. That doesn't mean they ARE taking those liberties.

If most of the costs are already expensed too other parts of the business, they aren't being "left out" to appear profitable. It means that there exist efficiencies that allow one aspect of the business to operate more cheaply.

My employer has a customer that burns coal to generate electricity. They also sell synthetic gypsum to drywall manufactures. The syn-gyp Is a byproduct of environmental protection measures that the power company is legally required to take.

So, would you count the cost of synthesizing the gypsum as expense of the syn-gyp business or an expense of the the power generating business? The answer is- it's a cost of the main business, generating power… this company would incur these same synthesizing costs whether or not their syn-gyp business existed.

It's the same with Gamepass. Most of the expenses that make Gamepass tick are costs associated with running Xbox anyway. So it's not funky accounting leave them out when figuring that Gamepass is profitable.

Gamepass' entire offering is essentially a byproduct of Xbox's platform- it's just a portion of the Xbox store repackaged and sold a different way. The only Gamepass specific expenses is the cost of convincing Devs/pubs to go along with the repackaging- and these costs are relatively low. If Gamepass subs are bringing in 200m a month in revenue, it's hard to believe licensing costs exceed that.

You're interpreting the video pretty differently to me. I'm not going to watch the whole thing again but the line at 29:22 ,"I have questions about game pass profitability , I think if it were truly profitable in the manner that is suggested by what Phil Spencer says it would appear it their annualised statements ....." Is enough to know how that dude feels about it

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You're interpreting the video pretty differently to me. I'm not going to watch the whole thing again but the line at 29:22 ,"I have questions about game pass profitability , I think if it were truly profitable in the manner that is suggested by what Phil Spencer says it would appear it their annualised statements ....." Is enough to know how that dude feels about it

That line basically confirms what I'm saying… he's speculating on what profitable could mean, because he's has no access to any data to confirm one way or another.

We know how he feels about it… but this video provides 0 incite on what the Gamepass balance sheet actually looks like.

That said, xbl and game sales are also grouped into "content and services" rather than appearing separately in the statements. Does that mean they are also unprofitable?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
That line basically confirms what I'm saying… he's speculating on what profitable could mean, because he's has no access to any data to confirm one way or another.

We know how he feels about it… but this video provides 0 incite on what the Gamepass balance sheet actually looks like.

That said, xbl and game sales are also grouped into "content and services" rather than appearing separately in the statements. Does that mean they are also unprofitable?

Ha, ok. I'm done , I don't care if it's profitable or not.