OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Nadella bought into this gaming vision about the same time Myerson hit the road. When you listen to Nadella, he's serious about investment in this area. Most of the issues with all of Microsoft gaming was around Myerson squeezing the life out of everything to support Windows. I don't see a long track record of empty promises from Nadella on this. Someone show me where I'm wrong.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shocking post

OT: Phil has gotten a lot of shit done that he said he would do. So this being next means it's an inevitability.

Wonder what people will find to bitch about next

He's been saying this for years, renewing their promise to PC gamers every single year. No one wants his promises anymore they want MS to listen and put the games on Steam and other services.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wtf does this even mean? I have a gaming PC, I have plans to purchase a beefier one as well.

Don't stoop that low. That has nothing to do with this conversation.
And it's always the same people coming in here, copy pasting the same tired old ass argument without looking at the context.
What I said means much the same as the second bit I quoted. You take issue with vocal PC gamers not believing MS when they talk the same bullshit they do every year about PC gaming. If you're willing to group us all together and dismiss our posts, seems only fair that we do the same to you.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hmmm this PR seemed exactly the same message from Microsoft as always but thanks to the users in here explaining how this PR is actually different and means something. Some of the users I only see in PC threads when its Microsoft related. Really makes you think.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If they can fix the store bugs, open the games up to play with the other versions, and open the games up to mods, that would be pretty good.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as if this thread will not age well. Phil Spencer has shown time and time again he can get the job done. People also laughed when he said he was taking first party seriously, and was committed to it. One year later they have 13 studios and no signs that they arent going to add more.

Really the comments are almost identical with this thread saying "Empty promises", "All talk", etc

Phil Spencer not only has changed Xbox, but Microsoft seems to be changing the landscape of the Game Industry. Phil Spencer 100% has my support.
18 months ago he said the Windows store needed to be fixed. Now he's saying it again. With zero specifics, or time frames.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think UWP should go away, as I think a lot of people who just want UWP to go away don't understand what it allows to ease development of apps. That said, yesterday, I was thinking about how Microsoft should have its own launcher of sorts, but I think the more sensible thing to do would be to make the Xbox app better and handle game installations through there.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
What I said means much the same as the second bit I quoted. You take issue with vocal PC gamers not believing MS when they talk the same bullshit they do every year about PC gaming. If you're willing to group us all together and dismiss our posts, seems only fair that we do the same to you.
Dismissing implies a lack of care or empathy. I'm simply explaining why the context is different, and why people should be somewhat optimistic. Don't twist my words.

18 months ago he said the Windows store needed to be fixed. Now he's saying it again. With zero specifics, or time frames.
You should consider that the MS store was the least of MS's issues 18 months ago. Theres a priority to things. First hardware, then studios/games, services followed. Reasonable to expect a better delivery device is next up.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I have to install/register a new free item from the Windows Store every time I want to play Forza Horizon 3 because I use an offline Windows account and the game just closes instantly if I don't

And people want to give these guys the benefit of the doubt? oooookay player

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Nadella bought into this gaming vision about the same time Myerson hit the road. When you listen to Nadella, he's serious about investment in this area. Most of the issues with all of Microsoft gaming was around Myerson squeezing the life out of everything to support Windows. I don't see a long track record of empty promises from Nadella on this. Someone show me where I'm wrong.

? Windows has been a declining part of Microsoft for a long time. Nobody in the company squeezed anything for Windows. In fact they are using windows to push other things.

The course of the company is easy to even if all you look at is financial summaries.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That they have no plans to drop their full support of Windows Store for gaming...

giphy.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh I also got a headache reading through this thread wondering why a bunch of people who don't game on the PC are suddenly so invested in defending the failures of a software company to deliver on what's required to satisfy their target audience.

We both know the answer to this. Open up the MS first party thread or any xbox thread and you'll see these same names and avatars all over the place.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

He is taking a leadership role among the Windows Store team. Its no longer, Team Xbox being separate.

Like i said, I really dont think this thread will age well. Phil Spencer is about the most consumer-friendly people among the industry, and even before he had a budget, he was doing great things with Xbox. Now he has the budget, and full backing by Microsoft. He cares about gaming, and that is clear. He has turned his attention to Windows Store, and I expect he can turn things around there just as he did with Xbox One.

He already does Play Anywhere with PC, and releases every Microsoft first party game on PC. He has also invested in more PC oriented games like Age of Empires, Gears Tactics, and Halo Wars. He has already shown he cares, but with more of a leadership role among the Windows Store team, things will likely change a lot on that front.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think UWP should go away, as I think a lot of people who just want UWP to go away don't understand what it allows to ease development of apps. That said, yesterday, I was thinking about how Microsoft should have its own launcher of sorts, but I think the more sensible thing to do would be to make the Xbox app better and handle game installations through there.

This. Just consolidate it to a single app like other platforms such as Steam, Origin, and GoG.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
? Windows has been a declining part of Microsoft for a long time. Nobody in the company squeezed anything for Windows. In fact they are using windows to push other things.

The course of the company is easy to even if all you look at is financial summaries.
yeah even without a decade+ of similar broken promises this would make me doubt spencer. the company is increasingly focused on delivering content and services without caring about the underlying OS. they want everything to be cross-platform including games, enterprise software, development tools, and productivity.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
The comment reads to me like Phil wanting something different and better to keep people on Xbox. But the rest of Microsoft are like "Nah" and will continue to do whatever Microsoft is already doing.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We both know the answer to this. Open up the MS first party thread or any xbox thread and you'll see these same names and avatars all over the place.

This is unfair to these people. Your UI/name stands out too because you are always negative about Microsoft things. I'm not going to judge you for it. Discussing in this way doesn't really help.

So let's discuss on topics, not on people.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I have to install/register a new free item from the Windows Store every time I want to play Forza Horizon 3 because I use an offline Windows account and the game just closes instantly if I don't

And people want to give these guys the benefit of the doubt? oooookay player

Things change. Nadella knows how to drive revenue and profits, he isnt Balmer. I can see lots of money and subs being generated given the right combination of carrot and stick.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
He is taking a leadership role among the Windows Store team. Its no longer, Team Xbox being separate.

Like i said, I really dont think this thread will age well. Phil Spencer is about the most consumer-friendly people among the industry, and even before he had a budget, he was doing great things with Xbox. Now he has the budget, and full backing by Microsoft. He cares about gaming, and that is clear. He has turned his attention to Windows Store, and I expect he can turn things around there just as he did with Xbox One.

He already does Play Anywhere with PC, and releases every Microsoft first party game on PC. He has also invested in more PC oriented games like Age of Empires, Gears Tactics, and Halo Wars. He has already shown he cares, but with more of a leadership role among the Windows Store team, things will likely change a lot on that front.

I'd be careful about think any exec in a billion dollar global corporation is consumer friendly or cares about video games (of all things to care about, eyeroll).

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the irony.

OT:

The last thing I'll say is this: The whole reason I feel this situation and context warrants a LITTLE bit of optimism is because of shared interest and empathy. As a day one Xbox One owner I know a thing or two about trash OS's/platforms. When Phil took over he delivered on all of his promises thus far.

So anybody whos frustrated with MS's PC related efforts, there is a reason to have even the slightest, tiniest bit of optimism.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine that literally every person in this thread saying the equivalent of "Show me the receipts" would be thrilled to be proven wrong. You just get weary of hearing the same thing for over a decade and at a certain point it doesn't matter whose mouth it's coming from. I'll believe it when I see it

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
They should just make an independent store exclusive for games with a win32 app that doesn't rely on Windows so much.

Well, whatever he is going to do with that steaming pile of garbage I wish him luck.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Windows store will eventually get fixed. Nobody with sense can deny this. On a very basic level, nobidy wants to own a store that you struggle to buy from.

But until Microsoft moves back to a more stability focused business model for Windows 10, the OS is going to be detrimental, if not outright hostile to PC gaming. All the supposed benefits of DX12 have been cancelled out by the sheer amount of hassle it takes to get some games to work and stay working

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that literally every person in this thread saying the equivalent of "Show me the receipts" would be thrilled to be proven wrong. You just get weary of hearing the same thing for over a decade and at a certain point it doesn't matter whose mouth it's coming from. I'll believe it when I see it

I want to trust Spencer and MS, I want them to prove me wrong and when that day comes, I will cheer and be happy.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is unfair to these people. Your UI/name stands out too because you are always negative about Microsoft things. I'm not going to judge you for it. Discussing in this way doesn't really help.

I have a huge list of reasons that justify my negativity towards MS especially with PC gaming.

This is Phil back in 2015 talking abou the w10 store

https://www.gamesradar.com/phil-spencer-talks-future-xbox-one-and-windows-10/

This will sound funny, but I embrace the scepticism people might have because of Games For Windows – Live. It's in our past, and wasn't a fleshed-out programme fully supported by the Xbox team; it was another thing that was separate. But if you bet on us for Games For Windows – Live, I can understand somebody saying, "Hey, you're going to have to earn my trust back." And that's why when I stand there talking about it, I'm not showing any fancy videos, I'm not trying to pizzazz you with anything other than, "Here's what we are; here's what we're trying to do. And the SDKs are available now."

We've been active in signing up content because we also want to use our own tools and kind of live through that progression, so that when other developers come on board, we've got the mileposts in place to say, "Here's what we've been able to do," and be very transparent about the areas that aren't done, so we don't try to pull one over on anybody. But GFWL, I don't want to dodge it, I'm not going to say it's not something we had before. But the Xbox team is fully committed to expanding what we're doing across all of the Windows 10 devices, and we're getting the response – at least from the developer community – that [it] means something.

Honestly I can't even really tell what he's saying here. It sort of seems like he's saying let us prove ourselves, but he's so good at saying a lot but saying nothing of substance that it's hard to even pick that much out of there.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I feel as if this thread will not age well. Phil Spencer has shown time and time again he can get the job done. People also laughed when he said he was taking first party seriously, and was committed to it. One year later they have 13 studios and no signs that they arent going to add more.

Really the comments are almost identical with this thread saying "Empty promises", "All talk", etc

Phil Spencer not only has changed Xbox, but Microsoft seems to be changing the landscape of the Game Industry. Phil Spencer 100% has my support.

It should also be noted that getting the store to the point where basic functionality actually works consistently isn't something we should be giving a standing ovation for. "You won't have to redownload Gears 5 three times in a row to get it to install correctly anymore!" is expected, not some big feature. (and yes, this is something I had to deal with regarding Gears 4)

Now as far as whether Phil Spencer "delivers?" Well, we'll see. There's really nothing more to say about that. If you're expecting people to be like "we have the utmost confidence in you! GO get em!" that's just absolutely silly. People aren't required to cheer lead them on.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I have a huge list of reasons that justify my negativity towards MS especially with PC gaming.

This is Phil back in 2015 talking abou the w10 store

Honestly I can't even really tell what he's saying here. It sort of seems like he's saying let us prove ourselves, but he's so good at saying a lot but saying nothing of substance that it's hard to even pick that much out of there.

I'm sure you have great reasons for being negative towards Microsoft.

Don't use their products. Don't play their games.

As if you'll get positive about them if they fix their store. Dream on.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt it could age any worse than all of the Phil Spencer quotes about PC gaming over the last few years.

I hope he proves all of us skeptics wrong. I'm not going to get my hopes up though, considering Microsoft's track record.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing how proactive and productive Phil has been he may actually bulldoze the Store to the ground and get them to build a better one. One can hope anyway, lol.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I don't get why people battle over this. They're aware the store needs to get better. If they want Gamepass on PC to do well, want more "gamers" to use the store they'll improve it. For some it has already improved.

I personally noticed it being much better than before (where it was pretty much horrible for anything big) but still the worst of the major PC download stores. I still get random moments where it says the install failed and to try again later. Other times it just downloads everything fine.

However, I doubt the store will be dropping uwp, removing it from the os, etc. They want regular users to feel the store is as "safe" as a iphone's app store. In that regard I think the way they've been putting titles on the Microsoft store and eventually putting them on Steam is a pretty good compromise. Also in regards to like mobile/facebook style games the store seems to do well.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be careful about think any exec in a billion dollar global corporation is consumer friendly or cares about video games (of all things to care about, eyeroll).

They have already shown this time and time again from the moment Phil Spencer took over. There is a reason people love Spencer so much. You can roll your eyes though if that makes you feel better. You can even throw your hands up in the air if that helps, im not trying to convince anything to somebody who already has their mind made up.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
+1 separate Windows/Xbox store (and get rid off UWP or make it more accessible)
+1 I'll believe it when I see it
Please compete with Steam.

Give Valve a run for its money.
You know there are companies competing with Steam/Valve (well, they try)? It's not Steam's fault that all other clients/storefronts are inferior.

This Steam has a monopoly on PC gaming,/there's no competition meme is just so fucking stupid.

tbf Derrick is negative about most things.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You should consider that the MS store was the least of MS's issues 18 months ago. Theres a priority to things. First hardware, then studios/games, services followed. Reasonable to expect a better delivery device is next up.
Maybe it's the fact that PC is so low priority for them that gives us reason to be skeptical, eh?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
People aren't required to cheer lead them on.

Of course not :) They are more willing to dismiss everything at every possibility. It happens with anything Xbox or Microsoft related on here.

Just saying, I do believe this thread will age poorly. Trying to concince a brick wall that it was a barn would be easier than trying to convince most people.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it could age any worse than all of the Phil Spencer quotes about PC gaming over the last few years.

I hope he proves all of us skeptics wrong. I'm not going to get my hopes up though, considering Microsoft's track record.
As I already said, all first party games on PC, Play Anywhere, PC Game Pass is currently being worked on. Now its time to work on Microsoft Store. Bookmark this page if you want, and tell me how right or wrong I am in a few years.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
First, just make downloads that actually fucking work. Then, make it not shit to navigate. That's all I want.