Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
One player in the pc gaming ecosystem that does it differently won't change pc gaming. But we agree on much more than we disagree.. so let's start there. ;)

Haha yeah, we both want the same thing: a decent PC gaming experience like we're used to have on other stores/platforms on PC. I'm convinced that it will benefit everyone (including Xbox owners) if Microsoft can achieve that.

I wouldn't underestimate their possible influence on PC gaming tho. I mean, they've just bought two respected PC-focused developers. Spencer also bought a full year of console exclusivity for RotTR and PUBG. That's how he competes against Sony, and that's how he'll compete against Steam as well...

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If they can add another competitive store to the PC market, great. I'm all for it (I have Steam, Origin and Uplay installed already). Wake me up when they actually do it.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I already said, all first party games on PC, Play Anywhere, PC Game Pass is currently being worked on. Now its time to work on Microsoft Store. Bookmark this page if you want, and tell me how right or wrong I am in a few years.
yeah it's great that they're getting content on the platform before the platform is in a working state with all the basic functionality we'd expect it to have

does the store team even report to spencer? how much authority does he have there? i'm sure he can go to them and ask for things but that's a different division of the company.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's great that they're getting content on the platform before the platform is in a working state with all the basic functionality we'd expect it to have

does the store team even report to spencer? how much authority does he have there? i'm sure he can go to them and ask for things but that's a different division of the company.
Before, no. Now, he will be taking a leadership role among the windows store team.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Low priority =/= lack of care.

If anything, it being Phils next big priority should give you a reason to be at least a slight bit optimistic, eh?
Once again, not really. They've pretended to care for years. This PR doesn't sound much different than 2015, 2016, or 2017. Phill's done some good in other areas. I hope he follows through here.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Low priority =/= lack of care.

If anything, it being Phils next big priority should give you a reason to be at least a slight bit optimistic, eh?

You mean after over a dozen of years with empty promises and "this time for real!!" from "insert random MS executive"? No, not even a slight bit optimistic.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
? Windows has been a declining part of Microsoft for a long time. Nobody in the company squeezed anything for Windows. In fact they are using windows to push other things.

The course of the company is easy to even if all you look at is financial summaries.

Agree it was declining. Couldn't tell Myerson that. It was Microsoft's version of trying to bring coal jobs back. They killed other business opportunities trying to return Windows to its glory days. Thankfully that's over. Nadella isn't allowing Windows to hold gaming back. Started with the restructure and not having the gaming boss answer to the Windows boss. It's continuing to reshape at a rapid pace.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before, no. Now, he will be taking a leadership role among the windows store team.
has anyone higher up in microsoft said this too? was there a reorg that i wasn't aware of? i don't think he can just walk into the store dev team and say "ok boys you all work for me now, here's my development priorities"

what he said was pretty vague and i'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Once again, not really. They've pretended to care for years. This PR doesn't sound much different than 2015, 2016, or 2017. Phill's done some good in other areas. I hope he follows through here.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Nadella talking to investors is not PR. This comment by Spencer is in line with everything Nadella tells investors about gaming.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not :) They are more willing to dismiss everything at every possibility. It happens with anything Xbox or Microsoft related on here.

Just saying, I do believe this thread will age poorly. Trying to concince a brick wall that it was a barn would be easier than trying to convince most people.
Yep, it's the fault of people who play on PC for not trusting MS. Never mind the fact that the store has been broken for 6 years, that MS has been saying the same old things for 12, that nothing has ever changed for the better in all that time. No, it's good ol' fanboys who enjoy complaining about this poor poor multi billion dollar company.

Please.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is unfair to these people. Your UI/name stands out too because you are always negative.

ftfy :p

Of course not :) They are more willing to dismiss everything at every possibility. It happens with anything Xbox or Microsoft related on here.

Just saying, I do believe this thread will age poorly. Trying to concince a brick wall that it was a barn would be easier than trying to convince most people.

Some are more skeptical than others, sure. But again, at this current point in time, there is no reason to meet Phil's statement with anymore than "okay, we'll see" at most. For me, it's neutral indifference. I'm not expecting anything crazy beyond fixing the store and a few more games. If I'm wrong, cool, then those unexpected features or improvements are nice bonuses. If I'm not, then I don't get disappointed for getting my hopes up.

And even if those way more skeptical than I could care to be are wrong, so what? what, is it gonna be "oh look haters, store works now! the games you bought actually launch now! take that! " to them? it would be funny to see admittedly lol

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
As I already said, all first party games on PC, Play Anywhere, PC Game Pass is currently being worked on. Now its time to work on Microsoft Store. Bookmark this page if you want, and tell me how right or wrong I am in a few years.
Like I said already in this thread, if Microsoft actually follows through and becomes a positive force for PC gaming, I will be extremely happy. I'm not some anti-Microsoft troll. I was thrilled when they announced they were buying one of my favourite game developers yesterday. I just think it is healthy to be skeptical of someone who tells you they are going to do something every year, and then never follows through on it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spencer should go into politics, he's really good at talking without saying anything of value. That a software company like MS struggles with a digital storefront is amazing.
He's only completely turned around Xbox business and has pushed Gaming to one of MS core pillars of business, receiving investment not seen before, yeah that's nothing.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's the fault of people who play on PC for not trusting MS. Never mind the fact that the store has been broken for 6 years, that MS has been saying the same old things for 12, that nothing has ever changed for the better in all that time. No, it's good ol' fanboys who enjoy complaining about this poor poor multi billion dollar company.

Please.
I have played on pc more than any other platform this generation. I have invested a lot of money into pc whether that be hardware, steam, blizzard, or windows store

And yes, this website tends to go overboard with microsoft hate.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
2786995-8959039589-29993.jpg

Honestly, the Windows Store is so broken as a Gaming platform, there is no amount of tailoring that's gonna fix it. Bury it and start from scratch, at least as far as games are concerned. That would have me listening. This is just more of that famous MS empty talk.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have played on pc than any other platform this generation. I have invested a lot of money into pc whether that be hardware, steam, blizzard, or windows store

And yes, this website tends to go overboard with microsoft hate.
And if you think that "hate" isn't warranted, then you and I will never see eye to eye when it comes to this topic.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
You mean after over a dozen of years with empty promises and "this time for real!!" from "insert random MS executive"? No, not even a slight bit optimistic.

Holy shit I keep repeating myself.

Phil has been in charge for what, a year? 2? What does 12+ years ago have to do with what Phil said yesterday. Lmao.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem with the store is it's basically a store and a mobile one at that. Phil might make downloads less of a hassle but unless he can make something that is community driven, mod support etc. and not within the store as a token gesture then it will still be underwhelming. It needs decoupled with the underlining payment system being the same thing. Trying to fit round holes with square pegs isn't going to work.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
For sure, but then again I'm not the one taunting people to reply to my posts in a few years to rub in their faces how right I was and how wrong they were. Besides, as Mass Effect said a little while ago, being able to download you purchased games isn't really anything to brag about, but that's just my opinion.
If you're so confident that Phil Spencer will fail then bookmark the page. It's easy to be dismissive with no repurcussions

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Phil Spencer fanboys are like a cult.

Microsoft have done absolutely nothing in the last 20 years to get the benefit of the doubt on PC gaming

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be happy if they just tailored it towards humans. I don't know who this thing was built for. Tablets? That's what it seems like. It's a nightmare on pc with no options.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
They have already shown this time and time again from the moment Phil Spencer took over. There is a reason people love Spencer so much. You can roll your eyes though if that makes you feel better. You can even throw your hands up in the air if that helps, im not trying to convince anything to somebody who already has their mind made up.

The consumer friendly moves do exist, but we are talking about motivation. When you say so-and-so is consumer friendly that is much different than saying so-and -so has made consumer friendly moves. I dont know what goes on in the guys head, but we do know what motivates corporations, and they guy is working for the benefit of that corporation. His motivation is clear and it is the same as any other successful exec at any billion dollar global corp.

So, I do think it is very naive to believe that corporations or their executives are consumer friendly despite the occasional confluence of consumer and corporate interests. So yeah, it is fine to cheer the moves you like, but translating that into a personality cult is misguided, imo.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'd be happy if they just tailored it towards humans. I don't know who this thing was built for. Tablets? That's what it seems like. It's a nightmare on pc with no options.

HoloLens, phones, VR, Surface Hubs, etc.

Together with pc's and tablets. This store is for everything on every platform. That's one if its biggest problems.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing implies a lack of care or empathy. I'm simply explaining why the context is different, and why people should be somewhat optimistic. Don't twist my words.

You should consider that the MS store was the least of MS's issues 18 months ago. Theres a priority to things. First hardware, then studios/games, services followed. Reasonable to expect a better delivery device is next up.

Oh so PC gaming being that low on the totem pole is a proper excuse? So what was the point of doing the same open promises if they knew they were not going to deliever because other things calms first?

Especially when they were and are still asking for premium prices for thing on the store due to Play Anywhere?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're so confident that Phil Spencer will fail then bookmark the page. It's easy to be dismissive with no repurcussions

People have been posting articles of him promising better PC support going back as far as early 2015. When exactly is it ok to criticize Phil for talking and not delivering? Like how many years does it have to be before it's finally ok to do it?

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, what's your freaking problem? You're here talking about proving everyone else wrong, repercussions and bookmarking posts for years. It's nothing more tgan video games, why are you trying to feel superior about your opinions? Do you really enjoy the smell of your own farts this much?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing but PR speech to say they have nothing to say.
Yes they dedicated a minute in their special fan event live show to say nothing
People have been posting articles of him promising better PC support going back as far as early 2015. When exactly is it ok to criticize Phil for talking and not delivering? Like how many years does it have to be before it's finally ok to do it?
Again, context, different leadership team/roles.
Oh so PC gaming being that low on the totem pole is a proper excuse? So what was the point of doing the same open promises if they knew they were not going to deliever because other things calms first?

Especially when they were and are still asking for premium prices for thing on the store due to Play Anywhere?
I really don't know what you are trying to say here

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
has anyone higher up in microsoft said this too? was there a reorg that i wasn't aware of? i don't think he can just walk into the store dev team and say "ok boys you all work for me now, here's my development priorities"

what he said was pretty vague and i'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

There indeed was a reorganization within Microsoft not so long ago. Heierarchyly speaking, Phil is now officially one of the official "higher ups." The only one bigger than him is the CEO now. The Head of Windows team is not even in the same rank as him now. We can pretty assume that what Phil says about gaming will be what Microsoft think of gaming from now on. So if Phil reaches a conclusion that Windows store has to tailor to gamers and says so publicly, it means Microsoft "higher ups" agrees the same. And you can bet that that order will soon, if not already arrives on the priority desk of the Windows Store Dev team.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

It is a proper excuse.. they should've just tempered expectations.

I can imagine the Xbox team ran into a brick wall at Microsoft. Reaching your goals is difficult if the other half of the corporations doesn't share your goals.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

No no no, you see, Microsoft had more important things to fix, that's why they kept promising stuff for PC and yet didn't deliever for two years. They were fixing everything else while making promising for PC gaming

It is a proper excuse.. they should've just tempered expectations.

I can imagine the Xbox team ran into a brick wall at Microsoft. Reaching your goals is difficult if the other half of the corporations doesn't share your goals.

2+ years of overpromising expectations is just called lying.

And if they didn't have the authority to do the things they promised, they shouldn't be promising things they can't keep.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
The issue with the Windows store have been well documented and I feel like those issues run counter to what makes PC gaming great as a platform. If Phil can address those issues and open up the games you purchase from the platform, then I think he has a chance. If he can't do that then Steam will always come out ahead. Pretty simple.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
2+ years of overpromising expectations is just called lying.

And if they didn't have the authority to do the things they promised, they shouldn't be promising things they can't keep.

I'd have to disagree. The store has seen many, mostly incremental, improvements over the last couple of months/years. It's not that they haven't improved it.

RottR, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 had a tougher time launching on the store than Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon 4 had.

I'm not ignoring problems, just saying they have improved the gaming side of the store over the last couple of months/years.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to disagree. The store has seen many, mostly incremental, improvements over the last couple of months/years. It's not that they haven't improved it.

RottR, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 had a tougher time launching on the store than Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon 4 had.

I'm not ignoring problems, just saying they have improved the gaming side of the store over the last couple of months/years.

They still have some of the same download issues that plagued them since its launch.

That is inexcusable, this is basic stuff.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, what's your freaking problem? You're here talking about proving everyone else wrong, repercussions and bookmarking posts for years. It's nothing more tgan video games, why are you trying to feel superior about your opinions? Do you really enjoy the smell of your own farts this much?
I already said, I'm not trying to convince people. I can repeat that though. Are you trying to convince me?

I do believe this thread will age poorly though.

You're a funny guy though lol have a wonderful day

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
It is always the same apologists getting angry because we are tired of the same responses from MS. Dont hate us, hate the ones that are doing nothing.

Funny coming from you ("we are tired," lmao). It is always the same suspects concern trolling and/or shitting up Microsoft related threads no matter what the subject is, PC gaming or not. This has nothing to do with valid critisisms some people may have about PC gaming. Then you look at their post histories and facepalm because these people fail to understand they are more transparant than they think.

Look at the X0 thread. I counted at least THREE accounts (there were probably more, I bailed out that topic before the show ended because of the rampant racism and bigotry especially early on) permanately banned for either being an alt account with an active account or being an alt account trying to circumvent a ban, and the funny part is they all were either really negative and had a similar post history, except one. This one had around 50 posts since last month, pretended to be a huge Xbox fan and started posting Gamefaqs level console war shit during X018 and was outed as an alt-account for a current member. All this within an hour of each other.

Now why do you think those people go so far as to pretend to be upset fans just to spread FUD and concern? There is a reason why mods are heavily active in Xbox related news (usually positive ones) threads and have to constantly put out a fucking warning in bold, red text before the eventual inevitable lock. It's not some complex or made up thing that these same suspects constantly try to push out.

SneaksnM

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny coming from you ("we are tired," lmao). It is always the same suspects concern trolling and/or shitting up Microsoft related threads no matter what the subject is, PC gaming or not. This has nothing to do with valid critisisms some people may have about PC gaming. Then you look at their post histories and facepalm because these people fail to understand they are more transparant than they think.

Look at the X0 thread. I counted at least THREE accounts (there were probably more, I bailed out that topic before the show ended because of the rampant racism and bigotry especially early on) permanately banned for either being an alt account with an active account or being an alt account trying to circumvent a ban, and the funny part is they all were either really negative and had a similar post history, except one. This one had around 50 posts since last month, pretended to be a huge Xbox fan and started posting Gamefaqs level console war shit during X018 and was outed as an alt-account for a current member. All this within an hour of each other.

Now why do you think those people go so far as to pretend to be upset fans just to spread FUD and concern? There is a reason why mods are heavily active in Xbox related news (usually positive ones) threads and have to constantly put out a fucking warning in bold, red text before the eventual inevitable lock. It's not some complex or made up thing that these same suspects constantly try to push out.
I'm failing to see what this statement is trying to say. Why is what happened in the X0 thread being compared to what's happening in here. This is about the PC side of the xbox ecosystem and people are voicing their complaints whilst those that primarily play on Xbox are trying to drown them out saying that they should wait some more, it's been years since microsoft has been saying that they're trying to change

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There indeed was a reorganization within Microsoft not so long ago. Heierarchyly speaking, Phil is now officially one of the official "higher ups." The only one bigger than him is the CEO now. The Head of Windows team is not even in the same rank as him now. We can pretty assume that what Phil says about gaming will be what Microsoft think of gaming from now on. So if Phil reaches a conclusion that Windows store has to tailor to gamers and says so publicly, it means Microsoft "higher ups" agrees the same. And you can bet that that order will soon, if not already arrives on the priority desk of the Windows Store Dev team.
that's a misunderstanding of how reporting works. this is the most recent top level org chart i can find for MS:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-the-new-org-chart

i'm not sure if the windows store would fall under joe belfiore or erik lockard but neither of them reports to phil spencer. he's not in charge of the store or the windows platform. i'm sure he has some pull and can make some suggestions and requests but as far as i can tell he doesn't have the authority to go in and fix things as he sees fit.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of UWP. Have all your games on other stores too. Would be a start.