Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 59803

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 6, 2019
It's just a healthy attitude to have really. Nintendo are like a loss leader for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo just being around and a family friendly beacon for videogames shines a light on them both too.

It's not exclusively one way of course, but Mario being Mario immediately creates mindshare in consumers about videogames - increasing the overall discoverability for all gaming.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
this site is fucking wild

how did a feel-good thread about the head of xbox saying nice things about Nintendo immediately fill with replies going:

"b-b-but what about sony?!?!?"

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
He's right

Nintendo's first party is the best and MS/Sony don't come close

Can't wait to get my future Switch

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Nintendo have had both very high quality and very high consistency for almost 40 years. Don't think anyone is close to that.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
And he ain't wrong, I don't think anybody who enjoys videogames would in their right mind want them to disappear. Their great output is a huge part of the reason I believe you always need a Nintendo console to complement whatever other platform you're using (be it PC, Xbox or PS).
Yeah its how I introduced games to my kids also.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Not all their First party is for me, but dam, I can't help but be impressed when I get sucked into stuff like FE:Heroes

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's fun seeing Phil be so openly positive about a competitor. People give you shit for liking an executive but Phil is a jewel in this game industry. My favorite person since Reggie.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. On a subjective level I'd take Sony's stuff over Nintendo's for the most part, but objectively you can't really disagree with that statement.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Good Guy Phil setting the stage for Banjo-Threeie launching simultaneously on Series X and Switch, let's gooooooooo

Jan 11, 2018
Unpopular opinion: Sony is neck & neck with Nintendo.

I dont think its an unpopular opinion at all these days. The leaps Sony has made these past couple generations to nourish and grow their first party developers has resulted with a collection of titles that rivals Nintendos. We'll see how Microsoft fares with all their new studios next gen.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Nintendo games aren't my cup of tea personally, but as to the audience they reach? He's not wrong at all.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

how did a feel-good thread about the head of xbox saying nice things about Nintendo immediately fill with replies going:

shit is crazy lmaooo

idk how ppl can read that thread title and immediately get pressed, it's not even controversial. most people would agree. you don't have to be some diehard nintendo fan to realize that nintendo first-party is second to none. their entire business is built around their first-party output so obviously it has to be top notch.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I'd take that if I was on a MS first-party team, but, can't deny the jewel part.

Well, I'd take it as a positive messages as it's clear that Microsoft is trying to build up their in house first/second party offerings based on the example Nintendo has set for decades. That means MS will likely try to adopt some of Nintendo's practices to compete. The Halo Infinite delay is a strong example of this, as it's very unusual that a console maker launching a system would delay their premiere launch game because of quality issues.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed regarding thier games. Constantly reinventing themselves.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are on the same level.
Pedigree means record.

Nintendo's way more substantial than Sony's historically. Even Sony would admit this. We're talking about multiple genre defining GOATs from their teams.

Look at the Mario team. That level of excellence for so long is crazy.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun seeing Phil be so openly positive about a competitor. People give you shit for liking an executive but Phil is a jewel in this game industry. My favorite person since Reggie.
agreed. i think he really is a huge, positive force for the industry. he's gonna be remembered for his positive contributions for a long time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sony and Nintendo are on the same level.
When it comes to first-party, while I usually enjoy Sony's output more, Nintendo has achieved wonders with the general market, I mean, titles like Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, Pokémon and now Animal Crossing have crossed (or are close to) 20 million sales, and that's with virtually no discounts. Those are crazy numbers!

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically if you consider Nintendo the strongest first party, Sony is clearly second and that leaves Microsoft in third

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

No one said "but what about Sony" though? Not sure what your angle is. If Phil expresses his opinion and someone disagrees then that's okay.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Phil hoping for xCloud on Switch.

PLEASE, I'm screwed as an Apple user

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
You're going to have to expand on this, cause I can't think of how anyone could possibly come to this conclusion.
In terms of quality is my opinion both make the best games on this industry by the side of Rockstar. Sorry I didn't know I couldn't have this opinion.

But by metacritic reviews on this gen I think I'm right.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
He isnt wrong but it takes balls for someone in his position to show love like this. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.