Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Xbox head Phil Spencer says he'd like to see Sony and Nintendo bring its games to Xbox, but that he isn't holding his breath.

In an interview for journalist Stephen Totilo's Game File newsletter, Spencer said the decision to bring four Xbox games to other consoles wasn't intended to make its rivals follow suit.

"This is not for me, like, some kind of bartering system," Spencer explained. "We're doing it for the better of Xbox's business."

Despite this, Spencer said he would of course welcome other consoles' games on Xbox, and noted that it would be beneficial for multiplayer games in particular, where building a large online community is important for a game's lifespan.

"I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers 2 – and it's a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation – I'm not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox," he said. "If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.

"But I get it. There's a legacy in console gaming that we're going to benefit by shipping games and not putting them on other places. We do the same thing."

www.videogameschronicle.com

Phil Spencer wants Sony and Nintendo games on Xbox, but says he doesn’t expect it | VGC

He says Xbox’s multiplatform plans are “not some kind of bartering system”…

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And I want Shenmue 4 on literally anything. Which still somehow feels like a more likely ask than Mario on Xbox lol.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Theres already a Sony first party game that comes out on xbox every single year (its even on game pass so its the better version)

Both Sony and Microsoft this week have pretended like MLB The Show doesn't exist, I don't why but I find that amusing as someone who genuinely likes the game

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
Yes and I want Banjo Kazooie, Clockwork Knight and Metal Arms to be premiere franchises in this industry Phillip, but that's not going to happen is it?! Grow up mate.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox's lower install base is a reason why Sony and Nintendo aren't in any rush to bring games to Xbox, Sony would sooner have their games on a Switch and same for Nintendo.

I mean this is the inevitable future anyway. Exclusives are dying.

I don't think giving up your store-front and the reason (exclusives) why people would specifically chose to come to your store-front is the future...

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Helldiver 2 make sense tbh, just not GP. Sony won't mind extra $$$. Infact that should be their GAAS strategy

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
So this was the reason for this whole podcast thing. They just needed an opening to ask for a HD2 port

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers 2 – and it's a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation – I'm not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox," he said. "If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.

I think that's the most important context. If he believes not bringing games to other platforms like Xbox simultaneously isn't helping the industry, it seems like he might be leaning towards bringing games to PlayStation simultaneously

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Doubt it will happen, would rather Phil Spencer working so that indie games like Gravity Circuit wouldn't skip Xbox or japanese games like any of Falcom's games such as the Ys or the Trails series, seems more likely than Uncharted or Returnal on Xbox, let alone any Nintendo franchise.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
With growth dwindling on both major platforms, I think it's in both parties interests to get their games running on as many platforms as possible.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Much less incentive (and directly damaging due to their position) for Nintendo and Sony to be porting to other consoles.
I doubt MLB and Marathon would appear on Xbox if it wasn't part of the licensing/acquisition-requirements.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I can see Sony live service games maybe making to Xbox for all that MTX money.

Their prestige AAA single-player games? Not happening any time soon.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
I mean it clearly benefits SIE by them owning the only console that a hit new viral game is available on. Whether that outweighs having a larger potential player base is a point of discussion, but it's not some weird contortion to see the point. No different from how Xbox are championing having Palworld, except for owning the IP.

Even worse, if he says that then how are Starfield amd Indiana Jones not being on Playstation benefiting anyone by his own logic? This was the inevitable consequence of trying to have a cake and eating it, all messaging is inherently contradictory.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's right when it comes to a multiplayer GAAS like Helldivers. There's a reason Sony launched a game like that day one on PC and not Spider-man 2.

It would legit not surprise me if Fairgames$ or Concord ended up on Xbox at some point in their future, assuming they succeed. Bungie's continued support on Xbox could convince Sony to see the value in it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's logical for live service games to be console-agnostic.

Destiny 2 is on Xbox, Fallout 76 is on PlayStation - that works and it probably shouldn't be reserved to platforms that were 'grandfathered in' prior to acquisitions.

It feels like something PlayStation will have to bite the bullet on sooner or later if they really want to get serious about building a live service library.