jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its been a wild week, including yesterday.

I will say one thing...the written articles have alot more substance than the podcast. I get it, but still.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
lol not Xbox trying to change the narrative on Exclusive games because they had to fold

Exclusives clearly work for Sony and Nintendo, MS can't seem to get their shit straight since the 360

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Phil Spencer wants Sony and Nintendo games on Xbox, but says he doesn’t expect it | VGC

He says Xbox’s multiplatform plans are “not some kind of bartering system”…
It's funny how articles like these are not his fault. A reporter asked a predictable "would you like free money" question, he said sure, they published it "Phil Spencer says he would like money".

But at this point he should be smart enough to just say "no comment". There's a reason why you don't see these kinds of answers from anyone else. And I guarantee the reporters are all asking Sony and Nintendo people the same things.

Schmitz

Jan 3, 2023
When xbox ports games to playstation they double their reach.The other way around doesn't work that well. It's also kinda hard to sell games when the audience expects everything day 1 on gamespass.
So half the install base and in there you need to find people willing to buy the game. I would only port games to xbox with a very lucrative gamepass deal aligned but I don't think Phil wants that.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Theres already a Sony first party game that comes out on xbox every single year (its even on game pass so its the better version)

Both Sony and Microsoft this week have pretended like MLB The Show doesn't exist, I don't why but I find that amusing as someone who genuinely likes the game
Because it doesn't really count probably. MLB made that call.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't think giving up your store-front and the reason (exclusives) why people would specifically chose to come to your store-front is the future...

The writing is on the wall that this is the future though. Big budget first party exclusive games are rapidly becoming incompatible with sustained growth and success to the point where it's just not viable to stay the course. Either budgets have to come down or these big budget games have to reach more players.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Phil "in 5 years exclusives will be much smaller in the grand scope of things"
Also Phil "We have no fundamental shift in our exclusivity approach"

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Live service games should probably be on every platform. I own a PS5 and I'd be playing Helldivers 2 right now if it was on Xbox. Having to pay for another sub means even games on platforms I have access to can still be a turn off.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I stole my sons PS5 just to play Helldivers, will never happen but would be an amazing get on Xbox. The game is fantastic. Ironically, the PC version of Helldivers seems to get patching priority (or PS5 certification is much slower to enact).

Make it happen Phil!

bezuzu

May 3, 2023
I stole my sons PS5 just to play Helldivers, will never happen but would be an amazing get on Xbox. The game is fantastic. Ironically, the PC version of Helldivers seems to get patching priority (or PS5 certification is much slower to enact).

Make it happen Phil!

They have had patch parity with PS5 for a few days now, releasing at the same time now.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Sony gonna extend the olive branch with og Bloodborne and poor frame pacing.
Made some reasonable changes.

The writing is on the wall that this is the future though. Big budget first party exclusive games are rapidly becoming incompatible with sustained growth and success to the point where it's just not viable to stay the course. Either budgets have to come down or these big budget games have to reach more players.
When you are declining from a gen that already declined, it is understandable he feels this way.

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
I'd like to see exclusives go away or at least see everything day 1 on PC. I often think about what benefits they actually provide the industry.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I'd like to see exclusives go away or at least see everything day 1 on PC. I often think about what benefits they actually provide the industry.
Most everything is except for Sony's big sp and timed exclusives, and they will probably try to shore up issues before resorting to that. Releasing on your most direct competitor though? Very unlikely.

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't expect anything from Nintendo, but Sony possible. A game like Helldivers would thrive even more with more players.

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
I get how this can come across a bit silly as he's a gaming executive and most of them don't give this kind of input but I think he's 100% right about helldivers 2, that game is best off in every way on all platforms and I feel the same above live service games from all companies.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Microsoft: "We all win when we play together!"
Sony: "Uhh.. yeah sure."
Nintendo: "What? I wasn't listening."

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Ban him for port begging.

lmao executive port begging

laugh-michael-jordan.gif

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Phil "in 5 years exclusives will be much smaller in the grand scope of things"
Also Phil "We have no fundamental shift in our exclusivity approach"

In the Totilo commemts he appears to hark back to previous comments about game exclusivity on a 'case by case' basis to indicate this has sort of always been the mindset, so maybe that's what he means when referring to the fundamental strategy (even though that was meant to be only Bethesda stuff at the time…)

And maybe case by case means more cases in the next 5 years.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The wrinkle to this argument is that the Playstation audience is huge, the Xbox audience is, well, not as huge, so those are determining factors in how these decisions are going to be made. Is the Xbox audience large enough to make it worth Sony's while to port their game to it, and potentially open the flood gates (at lest with regards to the perception of exclusivity, at a minimum?). These are not equal playing fields here. You cannot discount that what is driving Xbox's decision to pivot here is that the xbox audience is not as large as they were probably hoping it would be by this point in the console generation. All platform holders could obviously hit that point but I don't necessarily think this is some referendum on how all platform holders operate or that they are on the same timelines.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
If Playstation should ever make that decision they should make sure it is just 4 games.
Not 2 or 6, 4, that is how you do it.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Easy to say when you're being outsold 2-1 for a full decade. One might argue that Sony's exclusivity success is the reason Xbox is transitioning to a third party provider of many games to PS5 users.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I do like when these execs seem like they actually play and enjoy games. I couldn't picture say Jim Ryan ever sitting down to actually play games, but Phil seems to enjoy gaming.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I don't expect anything from Nintendo, but Sony possible. A game like Helldivers would thrive even more with more players.
They are starting to test the waters with that stuff. Helldivers 2 on PC and Marthon launching on xbox, are the test beds to see if multi-platform launches make sense for their live-service games.

I think the conclusion they'll come to is that it does, but time will tell.

OP
OP
Super

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
They are starting to test the waters with that stuff. Helldivers 2 on PC and Marthon launching on xbox, are the test beds to see if multi-platform launches make sense for their live-service games.

I think the conclusion they'll come to is that it does, but time will tell.

Marathon was Bungie choice and like in the terms of sale. We knew that all their games would be multiplatform from day 1.

We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.

Bungie.net

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, when you hear the SIE boss reflect on how to better maximise the finances of his internal studios, I agree with him. More revenue ensures the viability of these smaller studios, particularly for GAAS titles.

Of the core users, the early adopters that is, few of them have the disposable income to purchase a second console. Of those 30m on Xbox, there is a sizeable portion who would be willing to spend $40-$70 on these games. People who buy the PlayStation console will do so regardless.

If Microsoft's pivot to third party succeeds, I'm sure Tokyo will take notice.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I'm going to need more explanation on this because it seems opposite of what I was thinking
The exclusives from internal studios were developed for the sake of positioning the hardware to sell. Like people talking about Sony's president mentioning being more aggressive with multiplatform releases (which they are with GAAS). You can be sure that department is going to try and shore up the profit margin as many ways as possible before needing to bring those day one PC. They are still trying to expand the sales of the box, but what we are seeing from MS is what happens when sales of hardware and services are declining. I am not saying it is impossible for them to compete if fp sp comes day one PC either, but that would be the biggest strategic shift for them.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Nintendo would implode first before they release any of their IPs on Xbox.

I would literally buy a Xbox if I could play Xenoblade/FE on a better hardware though.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
is Xbox player base big enough if we deduct people who have both PS5 / PC and Xbox to make the investment worth it for Sony though?