• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I own 3 motion sensors and I only use 1. I'm very frustrated by them. Even if you manually turn on a light, as soon as the sensor sees you, the countdown timer to shut the light off starts. Or you can make it do nothing after the idle time, but then you have to manually turn off the lights if they accidentally get activated by motion. Having pets just makes it worse.

It just doesn't make anything more convenient except for areas that are exclusively passage ways. My one active sensor excels at being in the house's entryway/mud room.
Yeah, just bought some for my upstairs and downstairs hallways. Don't think I'll bother using them in rooms I don't just pass through.

I think there is a hue labs thing to fix that problem though.

Fake edit: "No Motion, No Fuss." If there's no motion, the lights go back to their previous state instead of turning off. Dunno if that'd work better.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, just bought some for my upstairs and downstairs hallways. Don't think I'll bother using them in rooms I don't just pass through.

I think there is a hue labs thing to fix that problem though.

Fake edit: "No Motion, No Fuss." If there's no motion, the lights go back to their previous state instead of turning off. Dunno if that'd work better.
Ah, I often forget the labs stuff. Gonna check it out, thanks!

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Considering buying the starter pack colored LED's...is it better to buy them bundled vs buying them individually? I still need that HUB to hook up to my Router, correct?

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
do the IKEA bulbs pair with the Hue Hub easily? on their site it says they pair now sans Ikea Hub. i was wondering if anyone here has tried it

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering buying the starter pack colored LED's...is it better to buy them bundled vs buying them individually? I still need that HUB to hook up to my Router, correct?
Do the math. I think it's like getting a free bulb. I picked it up on amazon it was a little cheaper. Bestbuy also had a deal the more you buy the higher percent off you got

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Amazon seems to have a little smart lighting sale going on. Not amazing prices, but Hue motion sensors are £30 and colour lights are £38 (which is actually quite a bit cheaper).

... I may have bought a few things.
Thanks for this. I may also have bought a few things.
Ah, I often forget the labs stuff. Gonna check it out, thanks!
The iConnectHue app also adds a ton of customisation to the motion sensor, and the dimmer switch.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So, there seem to be four genereations of Philips HUE. But from what I've seen, this only affects the bulbs and not the bridge. There are only two (well, three if you count v2.1) revisions of the Hue bridge, right?
I just need the bridge for now to get some stuff into HomeKit.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Oh that's good. Gonna check it out. The dimmer switch is also vastly underutilized by both Hue's app and Homekit.
I just messed with it today as my new colour bulb arrived and my scenes used a bulb that has now been retired, so I had to make new scenes and assign them to the dimmer.

I have it set so the first press is a warm, dim light, but if I hold the button for a second it all the bulbs switch to superbright white light. The second press turns off the ceiling but leaves the lamp on, and third press dims the lamp, for just before bedtime. I also set the off switch so pressing it starts a sleep timer that slowly dims all lights, and holding for a second turns everything off.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I just messed with it today as my new colour bulb arrived and my scenes used a bulb that has now been retired, so I had to make new scenes and assign them to the dimmer.

I have it set so the first press is a warm, dim light, but if I hold the button for a second it all the bulbs switches to superbright white light. The second press turns off the ceiling but leaves the lamp on, and third press dims the lamp, for just before bedtime. I also set the off switch so pressing it starts a sleep timer that slowly dims all lights, and holding for a second turns everything off.

I've been meaning to pick this app up.
I need to do pretty much the same thing for the dimmer.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Have Philips said when their app for windows is coming out yet? Can't seem to find anything. Thought it was meant to be early 2018.

Edit: Ah, found it, Q2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GAMEPROFF

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
ikea-tradfri-transformator.jpg

Ikea introduced today ANSLUTA, a Trafo with which you should be able to make every old LED bulb to and TRAFDIR compantible bulb.
There are going to be two options, one with the power of 10 watt for up to three bulbs and with the power of 30 watt for up to nine.

Its not yet know, if they will be avaiable to use with Hue, but I expect them to work together.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like one of the scenes in the hue labs app. I hate that I can't add it as a widget or that it's not just in the basic menu options. I like the colors rotating.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ikea-tradfri-transformator.jpg

Ikea introduced today ANSLUTA, a Trafo with which you should be able to make every old LED bulb to and TRAFDIR compantible bulb.
There are going to be two options, one with the power of 10 watt for up to three bulbs and with the power of 30 watt for up to nine.

Its not yet know, if they will be avaiable to use with Hue, but I expect them to work together.
I think that's specifically to make Ikea's cabinet lighting Trådfir compatible, not for bulbs.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I finally caved and got the 4 pack color bulbs + hub, and 4 standard white dimmable bulbs for the bedroom. I've been looking around for color bulb packages but it looks like they're only sold individually for $50 a piece? Woof.

I might just get the LED strip for the living room instead and use it behind the entertainment stand, and then down the road get another colored bulb or two for the living room.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What's a good app for having "changing lights"?

I'm really kind of bummed that the stock hue app has such limited capabilities, but I'm loving my lights so far.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Bought my wife a Hue Go.

This thing is pretty great. Puts out a ton of light and has some awesome settings. Perfect for when you get up in the middle of the night to grab a drink or go to the bathroom.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Got a hue recently and am loving it! I'm thinking of getting a few more bulbs and am looking at this LIFX one.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFX-Adjustable-Multicolor-Dimmable-Assistant/dp/B01KY02MS8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521130417&sr=8-3&keywords=lifx+mini&th=1

If I purchase this will I be able to add it to my hue hub group? I want to be able to use it with all of the various themes, and am sort of unclear about whether or not that's possible. Also how do people like their light strips??

EDIT: Nevermind - guess the LIFX aren't any cheaper, which was my main incentive.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, the hue app is absolute garbage. Just setting stuff up for the first time.
How does what is presumably the best smart light system not have a solid app? It looks like garbage and is super flaky (says HomeKit and Hue scenes are out of sync but doesn't update when I hit the button? Force quitting both apps didnt help).

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Holy shit, the hue app is absolute garbage. Just setting stuff up for the first time.
How does what is presumably the best smart light system not have a solid app? It looks like garbage and is super flaky (says HomeKit and Hue scenes are out of sync but doesn't update when I hit the button? Force quitting both apps didnt help).

Yea, it's pretty awful, but I guess the 3.0 revision due out soon(ish) is supposed to improve a bit.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Has anyone been able to sync your hue lights with movies/games? Sounds like third party apps like Hue Camera are the only way to do that, but curious if there are other solutions.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Has anyone been able to sync your hue lights with movies/games? Sounds like third party apps like Hue Camera are the only way to do that, but curious if there are other solutions.

That's it for right now until the HueSync is released for windows / Mac (if you're a PC gamer).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
There's also an app called Sync My Lights (on iOS at least) that does this using user-created "recipes" for movies and music videos. It's a bit sparse but I hope once the new API is out, it will be possible to just generate a recipe for a video on Mac/PC and use it in the app.

Deleted member 37342

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Ohhhhh, the colored lights definitely have my interest. I've been wanting to add mood lighting since I had my game room overhauled, but I have lots of light fixtures now so I wonder if it would be a pain to set up.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's it for right now until the HueSync is released for windows / Mac (if you're a PC gamer).

There's also an app called Sync My Lights (on iOS at least) that does this using user-created "recipes" for movies and music videos. It's a bit sparse but I hope once the new API is out, it will be possible to just generate a recipe for a video on Mac/PC and use it in the app.

Cool thanks for the responses

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it's pretty awful, but I guess the 3.0 revision due out soon(ish) is supposed to improve a bit.
Cant wait for 3.0. I have to go into the hue labs section to use the revolving lights formula on my blooms. I want a widget or something. They dont make it easy to let you do fun stuff

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
There should be an official app in a few months to do that.

I made a program to sync movies and games a while back but I've not really promoted it since I've been too lazy to make a proper UI. Screenbloom does a similar thing aswell.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Any help anyone can give me. I needed to change my password to my My Hue account today and then logged out of the Android app in order to update the password (it hadn't logged me out when I changed the password, but figured I'd do so in case it bumped me off). Well now I can't log back in at all. I can log in fine on the PC, and when I log into the app it opens that web page and logs me in and pulls up the "permissions" page that's actually on the Hue site, but when it goes back to the app it says it can't log in.

I am able to control my lights when I'm home fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for this log in issue?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Are there any bulbs available that will work in my ceiling fan? They'de Those smaller candle looking bulbs.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any lamps with a wireless charging base that support Hue bulbs?
Ikea VARV for example. It'd probably be hard to find a lamp with a wireless charging base that doesn't support Hue bulbs though, since Hue bulbs exist in most of the common standard sockets.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Just got into Hue a couple of weeks ago. Started out by buying one starter kit, "just to see how it works."

...I'm now fast approaching the 50-light limit for my bridge, and most of the rooms in my house are Hue-ified.

I might have a problem. But I like it.

Oct 28, 2017
Just got into Hue a couple of weeks ago. Started out by buying one starter kit, "just to see how it works."

...I'm now fast approaching the 50-light limit for my bridge, and most of the rooms in my house are Hue-ified.

I might have a problem. But I like it.
I got a starter kit last summer, I'm at 23 devices now. My flat is entirely hue so I know how it feels

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone please recommend a ceiling light fixture that I can purchase that allows me to install a Hue color bulb? I want to install one in my kitchen, however so many of the ceiling light fixtures come with bulbs that are built into the unit and cannot be replaced.

I'm looking for something like a circular light fixture for the kitchen, not anything that hangs. Thank you!

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone please recommend a ceiling light fixture that I can purchase that allows me to install a Hue color bulb? I want to install one in my kitchen, however so many of the ceiling light fixtures come with bulbs that are built into the unit and cannot be replaced.

I'm looking for something like a circular light fixture for the kitchen, not anything that hangs. Thank you!
I'm in the UK so I dunno if I can help but maybe something like this would work? Phillips do GU10 Hue bulbs so I assume it'd work.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, you just need anything that uses GU10. Lifx becomes an option then too.

Have a look on wayfair.co.uk, they have millions.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going for gu10 you should know that they are not "richer colours" capable.greens and purple look like yellows and blue.

Anyone else having trouble syncing hue with Google assistant?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the app supposed to be able to control the lights so long as my phone and the bridge are on the same network even without an internet connection?

The guys working in my crawl space broke some cable under the househou my internet is down but I can't for the life of me control my lights when I'm home but connected to the same local network as my bridge.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, Phillips updated their app...looks nice but is there anything noteworthy here?

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Phillips updated their app...looks nice but is there anything noteworthy here?
I think there's meant to be a few extra scenes... or you can make scenes using a photo or something. That's about it I think.

The Hue Sync App is out now aswell, PC and Mac supported. Not at home at the moment so I can't test. Anyone tried it yet?

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it with music on the Mac. It works, but it doesn't leave a great first impression. Have to go into Settings to allow some sort of system extension to install. Then you have to give it Accessibility permissions. It's also set to cane your CPU by default. Might try the Windows version later.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Tried it with music on the Mac. It works, but it doesn't leave a great first impression. Have to go into Settings to allow some sort of system extension to install. Then you have to give it Accessibility permissions. It's also set to cane your CPU by default. Might try the Windows version later.
And it activates the discrete GPU in my MBP the entire time it's running. I hate it when apps do that.