• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It's up, $9.99.

Err.. maybe it's been up, I dunno, it just didn't have a price listed for me the last couple of days. Anyway, downloading now.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
deadfire-update-53-content-timeline--thumb.png

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yeah I dunno. Hadn't seen it before, could be anything.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So much stuff today!

Update 53. It's basically an 8 minute interview with various developers on the DLC. Kinda spoilery of some set piece stuff, so avoid for now if you're not into that.

Unsurprisingly the game also has a small sale this weekend to go along with the DLC. The season pass is also on sale for about buy-two-get-one. There's also now a package deal up that's on sale as well for both games if you've never tried the series!

Don't forget to download the Deck of Many Things free DLC to either purchase some new unique items or board the ship and take them by force.

I won! Thanks a lot, dude. Really looking forward to digging into these smaller-sized DLCs.

You're welcome! Enjoy.

Awesome. I love the level of support we're getting here.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I can't get Deck of Many Things installed, no idea why free DLC is always such a hassle.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The DLC in this game is always a hassle for me: download, start game, then exit because it hasn't initialized properly, click the DLC box a few times, restart just in case that works, repeat steps in a different order to be sure... I went to load my save to start this and the Critical Role dlc (of all dlcs) had somehow gone missing and prevented me from continuing, so I had to redownload it and do the whole shindig just to load my file.

In a vacuum, it's just a minor annoyance, but out of dozens of steam games, I've never had to be anxious about DLC like this just to get going.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone post DLC impressions! Not interested in the arena DLC so I'm grabbing Winter and Sanctum piecemeal, wondering if its worth the ten bucks.

Naito

Oct 25, 2017
- It is very easy to steal all of the unique items (all of them are accessories) on The Deck of Many Things, most difficult one being the very high requirement to lockpick the chest of the Captain
- the unique items are interesting sidegrades, some of them quite quirky, the only one that really picked my interest is a new ring that adds % to Crit in accordance to how much gold you have
- Unlocking Vatnir as a sidekick is gated behind the first fight with the dragon
- I did not play much but Ydwin interacts quite a lot with Vatnir
- in the first "combat" area I already looted two intriguing unique items
- I am playing on Veteran and haven't had any difficulty so far

Last edited:

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Someone post DLC impressions! Not interested in the arena DLC so I'm grabbing Winter and Sanctum piecemeal, wondering if its worth the ten bucks.
I've barely scratched the surface, but so far I like the setting and the writing a lot. There are a few curveballs and curveballs on curveballs in there. I read somewhere that a lot of the DLC is driven by dark humor, and I can see that's the case already. Seen him anywhere?" And, hmm, I'll just say that they ramp things up real fast.

I'd say that it's very promising, especially with the hinting we've seen about
Waidwen

Also, got the Deck of Many Things working, it's a fun little diversion with some really interesting (more interesting than useful, likely) items in there. I wasn't really huge on the other FreeLCs, so it's probably my favorite so far.

Is it still recommended to use a mod to lower the XP gain?
I'd recommend using this mod I made and turning level scaling on all+only upwards rather than tweaking XP numbers, mostly because it's not as fun delaying your build to keep the challenge up. Plus, with XP tweaking, you'd still end up too strong once you hit 18+, you'd just end up too strong at a later point.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about starting a new run (I haven't since the first wave of balance changes) but have absolutely no idea what kind of build I want to go with. My first 2 were both dual wield specs, so something not that is all I've come up with so far.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I kind of regret playing this at launch with this roadmap.
Having beaten the game already, do I need to load an older save? or can I import my finished save into this?

You'll need to load the before-the-point-of-no-return save

Thinking about starting a new run (I haven't since the first wave of balance changes) but have absolutely no idea what kind of build I want to go with. My first 2 were both dual wield specs, so something not that is all I've come up with so far.

I've been having a lot of fun playing a Lifegiver who throws out lots of strong DoTs as well. Max might/int makes for some really long, highly damaging corrode DoTs. Just need good ol Eder up front hitting them with a Morningstar to get that old Fortitude down.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a lot of fun playing a Lifegiver who throws out lots of strong DoTs as well. Max might/int makes for some really long, highly damaging corrode DoTs. Just need good ol Eder up front hitting them with a Morningstar to get that old Fortitude down.

I'm actually thinking a bout a Wizard multiclass, either 2hand melee or ranged (gun or bow). Monk or pally both seem like decent options to make it a fairly tanky build as well.

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well I completed I think most everything in the dlc. Took about 3.5 hours. It's way late at night so I'm not going to write a lot but the most interesting part of the DLC involved
Waidwan

Also does anyone else have bugs with equipment disappearing on loads or something? My Maia had the hat you get at the end of Serafen's mini quest and somehow it's just gone now.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Does the first fight with the
dragon/Messenger
in the DLC have any drops? I got into one of those situations where I dropped the dragon but the only person left was my no damage tank against a Risen Champion, and they both had Exalted Endurance so neither could kill the other and I had to do some console commands to wrap up the fight. Not sure if it messed with the loot or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the first fight with the
dragon/Messenger
in the DLC have any drops? I got into one of those situations where I dropped the dragon but the only person left was my no damage tank against a Risen Champion, and they both had Exalted Endurance so neither could kill the other and I had to do some console commands to wrap up the fight. Not sure if it messed with the loot or anything.

It did not have any loot, just the adds, and I didn't see anything special.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Sorry if that was asked before, but is it possible to remove level 20 cap? I'm at the moment when you need to choose what faction to join, I guess I'm near the end but I don't really want to let this XP that left from not completed quests just vanish unused.

Also, does this first season pass DLC increase the level cap? If I understand correctly, it's not standalone and should be started before the end of main story, so I guess there are more reasons to care about lost XP

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
There is not a level cap increase.
Actually, there is a level cap increase. Go to steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata folder, open global.gamedatabundle file with notepad, find BasePlayerLevelCap and MaxCharacterLevel line and change values from 20 to 30 or higher. Just tested it out, I gain XP once again and it's not blocking achievements, not sure yet how the game would react on actual level up but looks promising so far.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Actually, there is a level cap increase. Go to steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata folder, open global.gamedatabundle file with notepad, find BasePlayerLevelCap and MaxCharacterLevel line and change values from 20 to 30 or higher. Just tested it out, I gain XP once again and it's not blocking achievements, not sure yet how the game would react on actual level up but looks promising so far.

Sorry, I meant there isn't one built into the expansion. It's nice to know that further levels aren't hardcapped off or anything.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Looks like we've got another item poll. The bow that they made out of the last one is some goofy fun (and just a decent bow).

Vote hat, because you can't ever have too many fancy hats.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else had a problem with party formation reseting to the order you recruited members in after every save/map change since the patch? It's killing me, literally and figuratively.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm liking the support, but I've been taking a break from the game recently and all this makes me want to do is wait til next year when all the content is in place for a restart. I know I could play it through a second time but there's so much going on in the game that I'm not sure I have the time or inclination for 2 playthroughs.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About to finish Pillars 1 (at act III) after returning to the game last night at act 2.

Is it recommended I do the white march before my pirate dream game? Also what exactly carries over?

I'm excited that this is a game series I have barely scratched the surface with content wise...

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
About to finish Pillars 1 (at act III) after returning to the game last night at act 2.

Is it recommended I do the white march before my pirate dream game? Also what exactly carries over?

I'm excited that this is a game series I have barely scratched the surface with content wise...

You have to do White March before you finish the game, so yeah I'd do it now. It's a really interesting side-story type thing with some of the better encounters and itemization in the game. That should get you to level cap if you then want to do the high level optional/difficult content, which you should!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished the dlc and I liked it, not a brilliant must play but it's good content. took me around 5 to 6 hours.
highlight was of course
the godhammer bit, very exciting to take a look at this very central moment of the lore.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot that I had ordered the physical version, but mine arrived today. Sadly I didn't get the signed edition I had ordered.

I'm still trying to avoid playing this until all the DLC is out, but it's not easy. Is all of it planned to be mid-campaign or is some of it post-game?

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I completely forgot that I had ordered the physical version, but mine arrived today. Sadly I didn't get the signed edition I had ordered.

I'm still trying to avoid playing this until all the DLC is out, but it's not easy. Is all of it planned to be mid-campaign or is some of it post-game?

The first one was kinda mid-late game, and I assume the second two will be designed at level 20 parties. I can't imagine either of them being actually post game, though.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
So, are there any additional effects from transferring PoE1-saves than what you can choose in the beginning?

Played through PoE1 on 1.0, am now catching up on White March on PS4... contemplating whether to play PoE2 on PC or waiting until it drops on PS4.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So, are there any additional effects from transferring PoE1-saves than what you can choose in the beginning?

Played through PoE1 on 1.0, am now catching up on White March on PS4... contemplating whether to play PoE2 on PC or waiting until it drops on PS4.

A handful of very small ones. If you want to switch platforms I'd say just go for it. Especially since it's unclear whether saves can even import on consoles yet.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Even though I played PoE1, I didn't import into PoE2 (my save file was on a different drive I think) and I didn't feel like my experience was compromised.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on the console release? Mostly played the original with a Steam controller in bed, but I want the native controller experience this time around I think. All I've seen is "this fall" but I guess that seems unlikely at this point.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Any word on the console release? Mostly played the original with a Steam controller in bed, but I want the native controller experience this time around I think. All I've seen is "this fall" but I guess that seems unlikely at this point.

They said "holiday" when it was announced and that still appears to be the plan. There was an interview with current game director just a few days ago where he said they want to have it out by Christmas basically. That's when all the currently planned paid DLC will be released so I imagine it'll be a "complete edition" or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
A beta is available for patch 2.1. Patch notes here. Highlights:

• Ability trees can now be viewed outside of the level up screen
  • Two new god challenges (Skaen and Abydon - weapon durability!)
  • Overhaul of the Enchanting UI to look nice and be way more informative.
  • Steam Workshop mod support
  • Lots of audio remixing/bug fixes
  • At least six new items, 14 pets and two new spells found in two unique grimoires
  • A bunch of bug fixes and some balance changes, the biggest being a damage nerf to full attacks when dual-wielding
I'll post the full thing and some of the new stuff when I'm home at my PC.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I don't actually know it's that big of a change, especially if it's additive rather than multiplicativ, just due to how all the damage modifiers roll up. The crazy math/build tinkers on the Obsidian boards don't seem too riled up about it, at least.