Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If you can order from USAGundamStore, they have it for $9.99. That's where I ordered mine from. Though be warned, they're a bit behind on fulfilling orders. My order of those nippers and Dynames hasn't even shipped yet and I ordered last Friday.
They don't have anything else I'm after and shipping is 9$ as a result so seems I may as well order through amazon
Edit: ordered it and an action base 5 through amazon for 30$. My old nippers are getting really rough so it's time

Last edited:

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have anything else I'm after and shipping is 9$ as a result so seems I may as well order through amazon
Edit: ordered it and an action base 5 through amazon for 30$. My old nippers are getting really rough so it's time

I use those 10 dollar Godhands for cutting pieces off the sprue, then i use my GH SPN-125s to cut down the remaining nub. Those 10 dollar ones are a great value, i find that they are just as good as the xurons i used to use.

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
a4gEnSE.jpg

those should be safe for a model kit right? Also as someone who's never painted a model kit before do I have to prime it? I still have the can of krylon color master primer(grey) from aforementioned project, but I hate dealing with spray paint.
Also poor tiny ninja from that attempt

If the paints are acrylic they should be useable for painting gunpla. As for priming, I'm a million miles from being a painting expert, but priming makes a huge difference in the end result from my several attempts with and without primer. Even if you're brush painting the model, I think priming would make a huge difference.

As to the top coat, I hope someone else can give advice there as I need the same advice. 🙂

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I use those 10 dollar Godhands for cutting pieces off the sprue, then i use my GH SPN-125s to cut down the remaining nub. Those 10 dollar ones are a great value, i find that they are just as good as the xurons i used to use.
Hm actually now I'm not sure if what I ordered is the same as what he ordered from the Gundam store. I ordered these guys
GodHand Nipper PN-125 GH-PN-125

Amazon.com: GodHand Nipper PN-125 GH-PN-125 for Plastic Models: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: GodHand Nipper PN-125 GH-PN-125 for Plastic Models: Toys & Games
Shrug either way should be an improvement over my current beginner kit Tamiya nippers

If the paints are acrylic they should be useable for painting gunpla. As for priming, I'm a million miles from being a painting expert, but priming makes a huge difference in the end result from my several attempts with and without primer. Even if you're brush painting the model, I think priming would make a huge difference.

As to the top coat, I hope someone else can give advice there as I need the same advice. 🙂
Just checked and my krylon primer should be safe for Gunpla so I guess I'm priming them, buuuut I'm going to have to chance it on the frame, I don't have the equipment to do it piece by piece. Also yes the paints are acrylic which is great as it gives me 11/12 more colors to work with for detailing. Need to get a pic of the death army grunt off the internet and see how I want to do the color scheme in photoshop

edit: yes I plan to hand paint on the colors, it's slower but cheaper. Plus I have good size 1 and size 3/0 brushes, may need a bigger one too though

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm on a 00 kick now. I've got a good idea for a top-of-bookshelf display, I'll have to get my hands on the three 00V MG kits (those being Avalanche Exia', 00 Seven Sword/G, and Qan[T] Full Saber).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well I got some of the best(and the most fun) of the pics my sister and I took. Have tons more but here's a gallery with some of the fun ones, and I'll post a couple of them individually too. Nothing fancy with gpa and Zeong, but I did some detail paint on shining and a touch of panel lining on Master Gundam

Here's one of my faves
qpwWq14_d.jpg

plus recreating then box art
TSHrMtN_d.jpg

Need a better light source next time, the drop lamp I used work but I need something with finer control and better diffusion. Also I finally ordered an action base 5 along with those nippers!

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't posted here for a while.

Latest completed model is this 2/5 PlayStation model kit

GknrN4u.jpg

QAzY5F0.jpg

Used Gundam Markers to paint the details in even though you can't see them after you put the pieces together😁 They are otherwise just green and orange pieces.
aG30kyi.jpg

Same goes for the ports.

It's a really neat kit.

More pictures here.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Those PS1 kits are really cool. Might get one myself to do a kitbash. Here's hoping they make a PS2 kit.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Good news, should finally have a work table again next week! Since I plan to paint the Death Army Grunt I'm going to build Gaogaigar next and save the Sprues so I can then practice priming in them and figure out what all my colors will look like and decide what I'm using!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I was randomly glancing at the box for my DoDonPachi model kit & noticed on the end of both sides, there's some weird text saying "Please: CREDIT ME!! scully7491.deviantart.com" & sure enough, that page exists. I can't seem to find the exact picture that was used (it's those techy looking circles), but how weird is it that a model kit for a shmup ship used someone's deviant art work.

Haven't posted here for a while.

Latest completed model is this 2/5 PlayStation model kit

GknrN4u.jpg

QAzY5F0.jpg

Used Gundam Markers to paint the details in even though you can't see them after you put the pieces together😁 They are otherwise just green and orange pieces.
aG30kyi.jpg

Same goes for the ports.

It's a really neat kit.

More pictures here.
Oh man, I wish I had the skills to paint mine. Just the small addition of color to the back makes it look even more authentic. I posted pics of the Saturn one a while back & I really hope we see more console ones in the future.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those PS1 kits are really cool. Might get one myself to do a kitbash. Here's hoping they make a PS2 kit.

Yeah it'll be nice to get more of these. I wonder if Nintendo would ever licence their designs to Bandai.
I was randomly glancing at the box for my DoDonPachi model kit & noticed on the end of both sides, there's some weird text saying "Please: CREDIT ME!! scully7491.deviantart.com" & sure enough, that page exists. I can't seem to find the exact picture that was used (it's those techy looking circles), but how weird is it that a model kit for a shmup ship used someone's deviant art work.

Oh man, I wish I had the skills to paint mine. Just the small addition of color to the back makes it look even more authentic. I posted pics of the Saturn one a while back & I really hope we see more console ones in the future.

I cheated by mostly only painting the top parts and the markers are quite easy to, use for this kit at least because the surface areas are small. Most of the time I botch the job but it turns out relatively OK this time. You should give it a try.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Yeah it'll be nice to get more of these. I wonder if Nintendo would ever licence their designs to Bandai.

I cheated by mostly only painting the top parts and the markers are quite easy to, use for this kit at least because the surface areas are small. Most of the time I botch the job but it turns out relatively OK this time. You should give it a try.
I think the extra color makes it look great and I know from experience that Gundam Markers can be hard to work with on big surfaces.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Bluefin's warehouse reopened, I figured I would finally order the RG Perfect Strike and RG Tallgeese III from them. It's nice to be able to get P-Bandai kits for retail price and not pay a crazy markup.

Still looking into getting MG Avalanche Exia and/or MG 00 Seven Sword/G too, but that may have to wait until next payday.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late to the conversation about action bases, but Mandos I will say I prefer the old action base 1 to the 4 for MG kits. It feels much sturdier to me.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was relevant and I've been having a blast with it, but there's a Gunpla game for the phone that never seems to get any mention around here where you build and battle with Gunpla kits from all over the series. It has a pretty decent photo mode that includes AR features. Here's some kitbashes I made. It's called Gundam Battle Gunpla Warefare.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours later & I made the DoDonPachi ship. I swear one hour was spent on the super small parts for the landing gear. Probably didn't help some of it seemed to require glue, which I don't have.

Also a pic of the Sakura Wars mech as well.

I also decided to take more pictures during the making of the DoDonPachi ship just to better show the progress/stages, which I can share if desired.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody here who pre-ordered the RG Eva-01 on Amazon - or from anywhere else - had it shipped?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have a go-to source for HMM Zoids kits? Ive been looking at reviews and they seem pretty interesting, except for the price tag...

Has anybody here who pre-ordered the RG Eva-01 on Amazon - or from anywhere else - had it shipped?

I ordered mine from USA Gundam Store, and they have spent the last couple weeks hinting that they expect it to arrive any day now.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I thought this was relevant and I've been having a blast with it, but there's a Gunpla game for the phone that never seems to get any mention around here where you build and battle with Gunpla kits from all over the series. It has a pretty decent photo mode that includes AR features. Here's some kitbashes I made. It's called Gundam Battle Gunpla Warefare.
Yeah, I played the game religiously for the first month. It's getting stale after a while and the new kits are very cash shop heavy, so I dropped it.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I played the game religiously for the first month. It's getting stale after a while and the new kits are very cash shop heavy, so I dropped it.
Oh that's unfortunate to hear. I'm having fun with it for now but I'll take what you said into consideration.

Oh I'm currently building a Barbados Lupus Rex. It's 1/100th scale so I'm thinking Master Grade? It just has "Full Mechanics" on the box.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's unfortunate to hear. I'm having fun with it for now but I'll take what you said into consideration.

Oh I'm currently building a Barbados Lupus Rex. It's 1/100th scale so I'm thinking Master Grade? It just has "Full Mechanics" on the box.
That's not an MG, it's essentially a bigger HG or something slightly above HG in terms of complexity. Full Mechanics is just a marketing thing they did for second season IBO kits.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
That's not an MG, it's essentially a bigger HG or something slightly above HG in terms of complexity. Full Mechanics is just a marketing thing they did for second season IBO kits.
Thank you for the clarification. I was so confused since I hadn't made a kit in years as was used to the grade system.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Earthree is no longer alone now.

HK7d9D7.jpg

Jupitive is great. It was definitely my favorite PLANETS armor in Season 1, and so far it's the same with the kits (though I haven't built Mercuone/Veetwo/Marsfour yet).

But those brighter colors on the Core Gundam that came with it. I'm not sure about it. It looks good with the white but I'm still a bit eh on it. One day I might end up getting another Earthree kit for the regular colored Core Gundam and replace this lighter one.

It helps that these Re:Rise kits are so cheap, because that's my plan for Veetwo and Marsfour (get more Earthree kits and use that Core Gundam with those armors).

Last edited:
OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Finally done with the MG Jegan:
fdFSahT.jpg
pprdftA.jpg

When I started it the only thing I knew was that I wanted to go with an unusual paint scheme. Mostly because most of the models I made were some variant of military green colors and I was getting tired of that and also because one of the main features of the suit is its bizarre mint green color, so giving it something more realistic never felt right to me. Then I figured I'd also try weathering it a bit because I figured weathering + an unrealistic paint scheme would be an interesting contrast.

I'm happy that I've finally finished this. There were a lot of things that went wrong during the build (broken parts, a gloss coat that didn't want to actually stick to the paint for some reason, awful 3rd party decals) so it wasn't the smoothest of builds but I'm happy with how it turned out in the end, even if there are a lot of things that could have been done better.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
fdFSahT.jpg
pprdftA.jpg

When I started it the only thing I knew was that I wanted to go with an unusual paint scheme. Mostly because most of the models I made were some variant of military green colors and I was getting tired of that and also because one of the main features of the suit is its bizarre mint green color, so giving it something more realistic never felt right to me. Then I figured I'd also try weathering it a bit because I figured weathering + an unrealistic paint scheme would be an interesting contrast.

I'm happy that I've finally finished this. There were a lot of things that went wrong during the build (broken parts, a gloss coat that didn't want to actually stick to the paint for some reason, awful 3rd party decals) so it wasn't the smoothest of builds but I'm happy with how it turned out in the end, even if there are a lot of things that could have been done better.

Nice. The colour scheme is great.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
fdFSahT.jpg
pprdftA.jpg

I'm still hunting for top coat recommendations myself

OP
OP

erd

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. The colour scheme is great.
Thanks. Nice to see others like the colors as well.
I don't know if I can make any useful recommendations. Most of the ones I've used need an airbrush (brush-painting them probably wouldn't work) and I haven't yet found any that I'd be 100% satisfied with. The ones I've used are:
  • Revell Aqua clear gloss/matte: Pretty good, especially considering Revell paints don't exactly have a great reputation. They also come in spraycans - the other two don't. The gloss is shiny but I'm not a big fan of how the matte version looks. They also spray very poorly through an airbrush and the bottles are just utterly awful.
  • AK Interactive acrylic varnishes (the older, white bottles): They work, but I'm not super impressed by them. They take forever to fully cure so I always feel a bit nervous doing decals/weathering over them. They also always come out as more of a semi-gloss/semi-matte for me. I definitely wouldn't recommend for high-gloss finishes but I think the semi-matte look works pretty well for military models/aircraft.
  • AMMO Mig lucky varnishes: The ones I've used for this build. The gloss didn't work at all for me. Usually, people put down a layer gloss coat before doing waterslides/weathering on painted builds. I did the same, but when I tried applying waterslides it just came straight off as soon as I applied some water, even after days of curing: https://i.imgur.com/n4YGIIO.jpg. Could just be user error though. The matte coat still hasn't fully cured but it also seems super weak so I expect it will scratch off on joints pretty easily when moving the kit. Apart from that they look pretty good I guess. They are also a pain to spray since they need to be done in extremely thin layers, otherwise they just pool like crazy.
Apart from that, I think Mr. color top coats are pretty well regarded. I know their paints are really good, so the spraycan primers should be as well but I've never used them, so you'd probably want to do more research on that. Tamiya's paints/top coats are also pretty popular from what I see online.

I haven't used either of those so I can't really say much about them though.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
I've finally bought an airbrush a month ago after wanting one for years. I bought a load of Vallejo paint, primers and gloss and matte varnishes.

I did 2 cheap gundams to check things out, then I decided having samples for every color would be a good idea, with a gloss and matte finish on top. As a reference for my future self, since I'm going to paint my gundams in this order: primer -> paint(s) -> gloss coat -> panel lining/decals -> matte coat.

Here's the first set of spoons with the colors I have right now applied:

4kuf591.jpg

Then I applied 2 gloss coats to all of them (no photo). After curing I taped of half the spoons and just now applied a coat of matte on them. Will do another coat this evening or tomorrow:
CB1yxAg.jpg

I can post some close up pictures of the finished spoons with both varnish finishes on them tomorrow.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
Done!

SQAvTi7.jpg

This is 2 layers Vallejo gloss varnish on the left, and 2 layers gloss + 2 layers Vallejo matte varnish on the right:

TuwNAFo.jpg

KQg3CMi.jpg

B6u4ZSD.jpg

FZiSIeM.jpg

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Those are some nice looking spoons!

My RG Eva 01 is finally in transit! Hopefully it will arrive in the next couple of days.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Airbrush isn't an option for me this summer, may just need to order a matte and gloss can of mr color. Should start Gaogaigar tonight and tomorrow I begin making a reference for what all my paints look like dry

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to order the RG Eva-01. GundamPlanet got it in, though I had to dip into my Snow White Prelude funds for it. Ended up going for the regular version instead of the DX. And the HG Gundam G40. And the Mercuone Armor (why does no one have the weapons :( ).

Shit...with the stuff I already ordered earlier, I'm gonna have a backlog now.

EDIT: Shit I missed they had the RG Force Impulse in. I would have waited on getting those two Earthree kits (for Core Gundam) if I'd noticed, dammit.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, I'll have to check mine. What aisle are they located in? & guessing it's just Gundam?

I will say, the only place that still carries model kits of any kind in my town is Hobby Lobby & it's mostly the usual cars & planes, plus some random Star Wars & Star Trek stuff, so to possibly see Bandai kits in store in my town will be a bit surreal.

Edit: no luck at mine & Target's site says they have them, but they're all listed from a seller called Galactic Toys & Games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I checked my Target when I went down to Barnes and Noble today to get my Earthrees, nothing.

Guess B&N stays the closest place to me that actually sells Gunpla, and that's a 40-mile drive from where I live.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
P Bandai USA has a new batch of kits going up tonight, including this beaut:

Done!

SQAvTi7.jpg

This is 2 layers Vallejo gloss varnish on the left, and 2 layers gloss + 2 layers Vallejo matte varnish on the right:

TuwNAFo.jpg

KQg3CMi.jpg

B6u4ZSD.jpg

FZiSIeM.jpg
Vallejo's mecha varnishes are quite good. Be aware you can mix them if you want a semi-gloss finish. The matte is dead flat.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna crosspost what I posted in the Gundam thread.

Just a heads up, the US P-Bandai site is gonna have a shit ton of preorders opening tonight.

Just going by what Bluefin's posted on Facebook, they'll open preorders for:

HGUC Dictus (Callisto of Light Custom) - $42
HG THE ORIGIN GM Night Seeker - $27
HGUC Crossbone Gundam X1 Full Cloth - $27
HGUC Quattro Bajeena's Rick Dias - $23
MG Qubeley Embellir - $65
MG GMII (AEUG Color Ver.) - $40
MG Polypodball - $35
HGUC Zeta Gundam Revive (UC 0088 Ver.) - $26
MG GM Sniper II (White Dingo Team Custom) - $45
HGUC Crossbone Gundam X1 Kai - $24
MG Enhanced ZZ Gundam (Ver. KA) - $93
Enhanced parts for MG ZZ Gundam (Ver. KA) - $24
HGUC Crossbone Gundam X2 Kai - $24
MG Casval's Gundam (Ver. 3.0) - $55
HGUC Crossbone Gundam X3 - $24

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Technically, G-Self is not Universal Century but Reguild Century.
Has there ever been a Ver.Ka that isn't from the Universal Century? EDIT: Of course. Wing Gundam. My bad.
I could see a Zeta Ver.Ka although the 2.0 makes this a lot less likely.
Therefore, my final bet goes to GP01 Zephyranthes Ver.Ka

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
In my heart I want it to be Zeta

I see a lot of people predicting G-Self, is there a particular reason for that? Just that there aren't any MGs from that series yet?

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finished my first RG, the Tallgeese. It's a very nice kit, much more satisfying than a HG without too much effort. Undergating is always a plus, obviously being mostly white it was rather easy to clean up nub marks.

Staged a little fight between my Tallgeese Brothers VS Freedom Brothers. Freedom called in the third brother at the end... 😅

imgur.com

Tallgeese Brothers Vs Freedom Brothers

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok so doing my palette test on some cut frames today to figure out what the colors I have will look like, and I thought I'd ask you guys how you do it,
Do you prime it on the frame, do the main coat then cut it out and do touch ups then do the top coat on some built assemblies before you put it together? Or do the painting after cutting the pieces off? I'm hand brush painting(I have neither the workspace or the cash to get the equipment to airbrush right now) primer is spray paint and likely so will be the top coat(thinking mrcolor).
Figured I'd ask.

Should have a panel lined new kit to show off later too

hmmmmmm just realized I have the colors and could paint that super tiny Jedi star fighter I got although priming it would be a pain

Last edited:
OP
OP

erd

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so doing my palette test on some cut frames today to figure out what the colors I have will look like, and I thought I'd ask you guys how you do it,
Do you prime it on the frame, do the main coat then cut it out and do touch ups then do the top coat on some built assemblies before you put it together? Or do the painting after cutting the pieces off? I'm hand brush painting(I have neither the workspace or the cash to get the equipment to airbrush right now) primer is spray paint and likely so will be the top coat(thinking mrcolor).
Figured I'd ask.

Should have a panel lined new kit to show off later too

hmmmmmm just realized I have the colors and could paint that super tiny Jedi star fighter I got although priming it would be a pain
Painting before you cut out the parts isn't the best idea. The places where the sprues connect to the parts won't get painted and if you try to remove nub marks you'll likely end up messing the paint, which means having to do a lot of re-painting and touch ups.

The most straightforward way is probably to just cut out all the pieces, clean the nub marks and them paint each piece individually. I know a lot of people do it like that. Personally, that's always been a bit too finicky for me (and it also takes a lot of aligator clips if you want to do it in one go). I usually first build the kit, then split it into sub-assemblies (legs, feet, torso, head, arms ...) and prime each sub-assembly separately. The only real problem with that is that legs/arms need to be primed twice to cover the entire joint: once when they are fully extended and once when they are fully contracted. I also do the same for the top coat.

After I have it primed I usually disassemble it some more so that I can paint individual parts in different colors without having to do a ton of masking.