• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just occurred to me to ask. What are some good sites for checking up on news, announcements, & such? I only knew about the Saturn & PS1 models due to one or two gaming sites reporting on it. I'm sure it may be a while before one truly captures my interest again, but it'd still be nice to know about them before they become rare &/or more expensive.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh it would be more than suitable I reckon.
What are you going to use to light it up?
Got a couple of options, a possible lamp led bulb, and my family has several led light strips lying around. I'd want to cut open one of the wide box sides then get some white and black paper to line it right?

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
HGUC Baund Doc:
uqv7htk0xiu41.jpg

This is like one of my favorite suits from Zeta! So happy to see a lot of it finally.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well I know which upcoming Gundam kit is a must have for me
HGUC Baund Doc:
uqv7htk0xiu41.jpg

This is like one of my favorite suits from Zeta! So happy to see a lot of it finally.
Was so disappointed when I got into kits that this guy didn't have a modern kit so this HG makes me very happy. Now if only we could get the rest of the shuffle alliance from G Gundam

Good news, found an even better~16.5x13x17" box to use, Just need to cut open a side and get some paper

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
2OWIgrA.jpg

Built my first kit in years and it was a blast. Want to do decals but I've never put them on before and I'm too scared to clear coat haha.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, Japan Post just announced they're not doing international shipping for the time being.....a few days after buying a model kit on eBay & being told I can pay $25 for DHL, which is sadly still the cheapest I can get it considering the other listings & rarity of finding the DoDonPachi model kit from years ago.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the new HG Getter Dragon looks SO GOOD. It's selling out all over the place after the first day of preorders.
VlX1OUd.jpg
v4oI2sk.jpg

6DTnlqI.jpg

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the new HG Getter Dragon looks SO GOOD. It's selling out all over the place after the first day of preorders.
VlX1OUd.jpg
v4oI2sk.jpg

6DTnlqI.jpg
Oooh, this looks sick.

I want more Getter kits.

The design is really reminiscent of the recent Mazinger Infinity designs, do we know of a new Getter show or movie coming out?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
VlX1OUd.jpg
v4oI2sk.jpg

6DTnlqI.jpg
Whaaaaa that looks awesome, been dying for a full hg Getter kit... with everything going on though it'll be a while before I'm able to order it easily in the west though hunh? Probably not out for a few months anyways

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if any people here follow Kotobukiya's works, but their new series "sou sai shojo teien" is pretty cool. It is a girl plastic model product line with "daily life" focus, unlike Frame Arms Girls and Megami Device which have a "sci-fi" focus. They currently have announced three original characters with different faces, haircuts and school outfits, as well as a crossover character from Frame Arms Girl.
images

From their latest announcement, heads from FAG and MD line are able to be used on their bodies as well.
7a628dd4269136ada9658068771401b102285324.jpg

And my favorite idea is, the hair parts from different characters can be combined to form another hair style.
123bbbf16ee6cdc66fc2d3a52f567351ce65d0fd.jpg

Of course, this would require people to paint their kits for consistency. But I can really see this series will blow up way larger than FAG did. Imagine having collaborations with different anime series will put them in good position, especially when Bandai's figure plastic kits still sucks compared with those from kotobukiya. On the other hand, I still love their mecha kits like Hexagear and Zoids. Hopefully they will continue pumping out products for those series as well as going forward in this front.

Edit: speaking of Hexagear... Holy shit I want this
e6563120c7948c523da7d68caaa8b4ef1e88c9c7-800x534.jpg

90479f4c3429c5802e393edb45ff0c3fb5b93dbe-800x534.jpg

fbd4e14558297228f0c6c11fc03802220efccbc5-800x534.jpg

www.kotobukiya.co.jp

ヘキサギア スティールレイン|ヘキサギア|ロボット/メカ プラモデル|プラモデル|コトブキヤ製品情報ポータルサイト|フィギュア・プラモデル・ホビー

ヘキサギア商品コンセプトは“スクラップ&ビルド” プラモデルとブロックの要素を掛け合わせたキットブロック方式を採用。組み換えに特化した六角型汎用ジョイント『ヘキサグラムシステム』を用い、アイデア次第で無限とも言える組み換えが可能。
9800yen. Coming in Sep

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Finished this last weekend but I didn't take the photos until today.

Master Grade RX-77-2 Guncannon

This is the kind of model you'd expect people asking for a 2.0 given that it's part of the original Operation V. More so when the the other to mobile suits have more recent MG kits and even the HG got a Revive.
It's just passable, nothing impressive. You could say it has an anime simplicity to its look but the build itself won't impress anyone.

EWb0mKsX0AEnfN-

EWb0msmXkAAAyUm

EWb0nrtXgAI32ob

EWb0nOAXkAAyLSa

And a bonus pic comparing the MG, (old) HG and SD.

EWb0oW5WoAAspDI

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if any people here follow Kotobukiya's works, but their new series "sou sai shojo teien" is pretty cool. It is a girl plastic model product line with "daily life" focus, unlike Frame Arms Girls and Megami Device which have a "sci-fi" focus. They currently have announced three original characters with different faces, haircuts and school outfits, as well as a crossover character from Frame Arms Girl.
images

From their latest announcement, heads from FAG and MD line are able to be used on their bodies as well.
7a628dd4269136ada9658068771401b102285324.jpg

And my favorite idea is, the hair parts from different characters can be combined to form another hair style.
123bbbf16ee6cdc66fc2d3a52f567351ce65d0fd.jpg

Of course, this would require people to paint their kits for consistency. But I can really see this series will blow up way larger than FAG did. Imagine having collaborations with different anime series will put them in good position, especially when Bandai's figure plastic kits still sucks compared with those from kotobukiya. On the other hand, I still love their mecha kits like Hexagear and Zoids. Hopefully they will continue pumping out products for those series as well as going forward in this front.

Edit: speaking of Hexagear... Holy shit I want this
e6563120c7948c523da7d68caaa8b4ef1e88c9c7-800x534.jpg

90479f4c3429c5802e393edb45ff0c3fb5b93dbe-800x534.jpg

fbd4e14558297228f0c6c11fc03802220efccbc5-800x534.jpg

www.kotobukiya.co.jp

ヘキサギア スティールレイン|ヘキサギア|ロボット/メカ プラモデル|プラモデル|コトブキヤ製品情報ポータルサイト|フィギュア・プラモデル・ホビー

ヘキサギア商品コンセプトは“スクラップ&ビルド” プラモデルとブロックの要素を掛け合わせたキットブロック方式を採用。組み換えに特化した六角型汎用ジョイント『ヘキサグラムシステム』を用い、アイデア次第で無限とも言える組み換えが可能。
9800yen. Coming in Sep
IN LOVE with the look of that kit. wow!

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah but do people really like the Guncannon?

My wife generally dislikes Gundam, including the designs "All these gundams look the same!" but thinks the Guncannon looks cool and thus got me the MG model for my Birthday a couple years back.

What with things as they are I decided to finally get back into models. I had this one sitting around for like a year. I got it like one month before they announced the 2.0 Version <.< so that dampened my excitement until I said 'Fuck it, lockdown is boring' yesterday. This one also reminded me that Dry Transfer decals don't always age that well. I got the larger ones on okay, but a lot of the smaller ones just wanted to flake apart rather than stick. Overall though, an older kit feels easier to get back into after taking 2+ years off from building these things.

94976521_10101429341860413_7270586897129275392_n_zpsnw2ylow7.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've suddenly got an urge to build some Astrays. Well, not right away, but sometime this year. I've done the RG Red and Gold Frames before, but right now I'm looking at two MGs: Red Frame Kai and Blue Frame 2nd Revise (though D looks pretty neat). I know they're older kits, but if anyone's built them, how are they?

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I've suddenly got an urge to build some Astrays. Well, not right away, but sometime this year. I've done the RG Red and Gold Frames before, but right now I'm looking at two MGs: Red Frame Kai and Blue Frame 2nd Revise (though D looks pretty neat). I know they're older kits, but if anyone's built them, how are they?
I think the Red Frame Kai (the one I've built) is fine but I have to say I have a high tolerance for old kits. It has a few stickers than I would have preferred having on the dry transfer sheet. Like the RG, the katana blades are chrome but the gold parts of the hilt and the sheath are puke gold.
The ankles are not stiff enough to support the backpack equipment if attached in certain configurations giving you these options:
  • Have the backpack attached with the kit on the ground in a precarious equilibrium. A disaster waiting to happen.
  • Use one of the backpack transformations that make it reach the ground thus giving it more stability.
  • Have the backpack transformed into the big sword / bow. A display base is included for it but I find it suffers a bit since it's the kind used for HGs.
  • Use a display base to ensure that you don't need to care about balance and can ignore the ankles' lack of stiffness.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep all that in mind, thanks.

Also here's a quick pic of that free UNIQLO Zaku kit I got. I really wanted the RX-78 but they were sold out when I made my tshirt order :(

This didn't even take an hour, it was a simple build (which makes sense cause it's based on that HGUC Char's Zaku from 2002). I do like the color scheme, though.

20200427-165328.jpg

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I'll keep all that in mind, thanks.

Also here's a quick pic of that free UNIQLO Zaku kit I got. I really wanted the RX-78 but they were sold out when I made my tshirt order :(

This didn't even take an hour, it was a simple build (which makes sense cause it's based on that HGUC Char's Zaku from 2002). I do like the color scheme, though.

20200427-165328.jpg

Yeah, this thing is wearing its age on it's sleeves.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to try and put together my very first model kit:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/98613

I'm wondering if this basic set is good enough, or if I should invest in better individual pieces. I only plan on putting together a few Mega Man sets going forward and nothing more complicated.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13UA3Z8PKYDE3

Since no one else replied I'll give you my opinion.

I personally think it's better to get higher quality individual parts than that set. The Tamiya knife is good, I use it myself.

For nippers I'd also recommend Tamiya but only third party sellers are offering them on Amazon but this looks close to what I use.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm going to try and put together my very first model kit:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/98613

I'm wondering if this basic set is good enough, or if I should invest in better individual pieces. I only plan on putting together a few Mega Man sets going forward and nothing more complicated.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13UA3Z8PKYDE3

This is the set my wife got me. Been using it on and off for 4 years now. There's better but if all you're using it for are Mega Man sets, yeah it should do the job perfectly.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I have like 7 preorders active right now, 2 of which would probably be in my hands already if not for COVID. Only a few kits left in the backlog. *gulp*

Just finished my first quarantine build, the RG Nu:

Planning to break out the lightbox this weekend for some photos.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my trespass, for I have sinned.

I could have gotten any amount of Gunpla for the same price (including those two Astray MGs I wanted), but instead I bought a Metal Build figure.

Ok I did get one Gunpla, one P-Bandai HGCE I was long overdue on getting.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, my Darius Burst ship is still in shipping limbo after 2 weeks due to Japan Post not wanting to ship to the US & still waiting on my DoDonPachi ship since DHL isn't open until next week. What bad timing to import models.

& now I'm thinking of getting some Sakura Wars kits since they're only around $40ish.

One based on the 2nd game, which I'll probably order soon from Amazon: https://www.hlj.com/1-20-scale-hg-koubu-kai-ichiro-ogami-use-bans58878

& the other, based on the newest game that just came out, should be releasing later this month or June: https://www.hlj.com/1-24-scale-hg-spiricle-striker-mugen-seijurou-kamiyama-type-bans59540

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My blind bag still hasn't shipped then again bluefin are locked down still.

Still need to start a kit. Will probably do a smaller one as a warm up so either SdCs Gaogaigar or hg Death army grunt

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Gave in & got the Sakura Wars 2 model off Amazon Japan since I was ordering some other stuff. Depending on the shipping cost & availability, it seems like a good place to buy more of them in the future?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hopefully I'll start a kit this week. Also need to build my light box, I have the box but I need to add the other stuff. White paper for the sides and black for the center is the normal right?
Also I could use another action base or two, what's the best option for a HG/MG mainly collection

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darn it you gave me hope. However with California entering stage 2 this week Bluefin should be able to reopen their warehouse I would think

Hopefully they will. It'd be nice to finally get the RG Eva-01.

I couldn't wait, I had to see how the Wings of Light looked so I tossed a pair on my regular HGCE Strike Freedom.

20200504-162923.jpg

It looks so much better than the RG effect parts IMO. I'll have comparison pics between the two when I finish, and also between the DX version and the regular one here.

As for what I'll do with this regular HGCE SF, I guess it'll be spare parts now lol.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for fucks sake. The damn right arm snapped. The white piece that goes over the top of the chrome gold arm joint was on the right way, but it just would not go all the way down. I thought I had it secure and applied some force, apparently too much. Fuck me. First time that's ever happened.

Guess I'll just be using all the effect parts with my regular Strike Freedom. I could have just swapped out the parts with that kit if it had been anything other than the gold chrome parts. I dunno how to replace this other than getting the whole damn kit again, and it was $80ish. FML.

EDIT: The damage

20200504-203412.jpg

EDIT2: Well, the effect parts don't look too bad on the regular kit. I like the wings better than the RG version, but I think the RG has the better DRAGOON display option. I'm not too big on this version just having the parts connect right into the wings.

2bcXc2P.jpg

jHjkUWA.jpg

SESr5ux.jpg

KpbEmso.jpg

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm kind of at the end of my rope so I figured I would ask here. I was building a mg unicorn Gundam and one of the armor plates supports snapped. I got it years ago when I first started and didn't get it through bluefin. Is there any way to get a replacement part if it's out of stock on bandai jps site? Like a forum where people swap spare parts or am I just going to have to buy a new kit?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Oh for fucks sake. The damn right arm snapped. The white piece that goes over the top of the chrome gold arm joint was on the right way, but it just would not go all the way down. I thought I had it secure and applied some force, apparently too much. Fuck me. First time that's ever happened.
This won't be of any help to you but what probably happened is that the fit of this parts was done without the extra thickness that the gold plating adds to the piece. Even following the correct steps it is possible that some piece might have a harder time getting into place.

Personal opinion but I like the look of the RG with all the extras attached better despite the fact the HG probably trumps it in stability.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Oct 25, 2017

Guess I'll just be using all the effect parts with my regular Strike Freedom. I could have just swapped out the parts with that kit if it had been anything other than the gold chrome parts. I dunno how to replace this other than getting the whole damn kit again, and it was $80ish. FML.
You might be able to fix it with a brass rod (like in this tutorial: https://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2981), though this does require some extra tools. Apart from that, I remember seeing some sites that say they are able to order replacement parts from japan (https://www.wakuwakumono.com/order-gundam-replacement-parts-japan-step-step/) but I don't really know how legit they are.

So I'm kind of at the end of my rope so I figured I would ask here. I was building a mg unicorn Gundam and one of the armor plates supports snapped. I got it years ago when I first started and didn't get it through bluefin. Is there any way to get a replacement part if it's out of stock on bandai jps site? Like a forum where people swap spare parts or am I just going to have to buy a new kit?
The only place like that I know of is the r/gunpla commerce threads (https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/gbltbm/shopping_may_2020_commerce_thread/), though I'd imagine getting a single specific part might be hard.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I don't have the tools for that rod fix. And I'm not confident about my chances as far as being able to get a replacement part, since it's a P-Bandai kit.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Ive fixed several things using the brass rod "pinning" method. All you need is a pin vise drill set, some hobby brass rods (available at any hobby shop that carries train stuff), and plastic cement.

drill a tiny hole in either side of your broken piece, get a piece of brass that fits and cut it to length, dip both ends in glue, then insert into hole on one of the pieces then insert into hole on the other piece. Easy. just gotta make sure your holes line up.