calibos

Dec 13, 2017
The opening of "The Last of Us" is the only one ever. Probably because my son was just born 14 months prior to its release.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Brother: A Tale of Two Sons: the ending in the water and the controller configuration was brilliant.

What jumped to mind when I read the thread title.

Also some final actions which aren't moving per se, but were awesome:

- Portal 2, shooting the moon
- Day of the Tentacle, getting Purple to shoot Dr. Edison's forehead, who is wearing a head mirror.
- Full Throttle, simply retract those guns

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mp69xesT9E1s4n45ro1_400.gif
First time playing this when I had no idea what the result would be was a very intense experience. Not tears but definitely very emotional.

Tears of the Kingdom nearly got me with the music in THE moment.

These are all still heavily scripted and I'm reluctant to call them playable.

The one gameplay moment I can actually say that reduced me to tears was when I was young boy typing, I played Micro Machines on the Mega Drive/ Genesis and I did not understand the controls. My brother was able to steer his boat around corners effortlessly and yet I would push right and the boat would go left. (Because it was mimicking a remote control car rather than being screen / camera relative. Similar to early Resident Evil tank controls)

I was so frustrated that I was actually crying.
Later that day it all clicked and I loved that game from that moment on.

Gameplay moments generally don't affect me the same way cutscenes can. Like A Dragon the Man Who Erased His Name holds the record for making me cry the most. Beautiful game, unbelievable cutscenes, everyone should play.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
The Last of Us 1 (the whole walking and talking section after Spring and Ellie's brutal encounter with the cannibals)
The Last of Us part 2 (guitar scene, museum section and the final fight)

GoW2018 - Blades of Chaos reveal section

The finale of A Plague's Tale:Requiem got me as well.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about tears, but getting the Master Sword in TotK was pretty good. I had just the right amount of information so that it wasn't obvious, but didn't come out of nowhere either. There was a great build-up to realizing what was happening. When my wife played that part it didn't have the same impact because she had seen more of the memories and already pretty much knew what to expect.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm a soulless animal. I've never even come close to these kinds of reactions. I've never been "gutted" or any of that when playing a game.

SOMA left me feeling bummed for a few hours and definitely affected me but nothing dramatic.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
The opening of The Last of Us really upset me. I feel like I knew what was going to happen almost immediately, but that somehow made it even worse.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The final stretch of Tears of the Kingdom had me in tears. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

What a game.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
images

Metal Gear Solid 3

Another tough one is the last sequence of Crisis Core with the brokem DMW.

Damn, already beaten?

I mention then the other scene from MGS5 from the other thread:

The scene when Venom Snake in MGS5 executes his mother base infected employees and goes one by one while they are saluting him and accepting their fate before he shoots them i,n the head, all while they think he is the real dela Big Boss while he was a fraud, was very touching and tbh sad and made many hesitate to do it especially when seeing how much they respected him even when he was going to end their lives.

Also the death of Harry Mason in SH3 that made me so sad for days but so angry to obliterate Claudia.

twister926

Apr 28, 2022
The final of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Without saying much, it has to be played to have emotional impact.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Before Your Eyes for me, hit me hard with themes of aspirations, health and mother stuff and had me desprately trying to keep my eyes open to make those fleeting moments last longer.

The eye tracking stuff is such an interesting mechanic for games that I hope gets implemented more in the future

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
End of Valiant Hearts. Obviously not gonna spoil it but slowly realizing whats about to happen and knowing/hearing what the playable character is thinking (and believes to be true) was heartbreaking.
This is what I came here for.

I'm not usually especially moved by games but that game got a tear or two from me.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
GoW ragnorok got me a few times. Putting Fenrir down and both Broks death and funeral.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna echo what others said but the ending of Brothers had me in shambles. So incredibly well executed. Holy hell. Its why I find the coop in this years release so misguided. It robs you the player of an amazing moment that just wouldn't be possible in any other medium.

Also What Remains of Edith Finch. The part where you have to gut the fish. Also very powerful and struck a chord with me very deeply

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I cry easily so whatever game that has some sort of minor emotional thing I would cry.

But I will say Nier Replicant in the last fight in every ending but speciall after ending A, is a constant mess of tears but mainly because what happened before that last boss.

Asterikolt

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The long walk in FFXIV: Endwalker.

There are a lot of sad moments in that zone, but I think everyone knows the big playable one.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically the entire Lewis section in Edith Finch. At a certain point, it was very obvious what exactly was coming, and it *killed* me. I just started crying and couldn't stop as soon as you start the walk past your cheering and happy subjects to get your crown. The cut to the slicing noise and the psychologist talking about Lewis broke me. I've seen that chapter played by others and it still gets me every time.

Another one was That Dragon Cancer. From start to finish, knowing what the game was about and how it had actual sound clips in it just hit too close to home for me. I have never been able to play it again because of how personal the story is. Tons of tears during that entire game.

And for very different reasons than those other two games, Hades. When Zagreus makes it to the surface for the first time and the sunrise comes up, between the visuals and the voice acting, I was actually moved to tears. And then getting to see his mother for the first time? No stopping the tears at that point.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to think what the heck the Aerith trial was. Now I remember though and yeah that shit fucked me up. However the rendition of Aerith's theme during the final boss got me a little teary. The way it swelled just as the fight started gave me goosebumps.

As for happy tears, this moment in Journey was magical.
432fb926edfdd0da6207640daa26f64fb7d5ad04.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
b6dMCw.png

I'll mention a free very short game called Before That Was Yesterday (2010) that made me cry, and it's only 15 minutes long. It's a great coming of age game that has no dialogue and all action. It's when I first understood what ludonarrative resonance was, before Brothers or Journey.
onemrbean.itch.io

...But That Was [Yesterday] (2010 version) by onemrbean

a game about learning to move forward

All of these too.

final boss fight in Papo & Yo

Before Your Eyes for me, hit me hard with themes of aspirations, health and mother stuff and had me desprately trying to keep my eyes open to make those fleeting moments last longer.

The eye tracking stuff is such an interesting mechanic for games that I hope gets implemented more in the future

Basically the entire Lewis section in Edith Finch. At a certain point, it was very obvious what exactly was coming, and it *killed* me. I just started crying and couldn't stop as soon as you start the walk past your cheering and happy subjects to get your crown. The cut to the slicing noise and the psychologist talking about Lewis broke me. I've seen that chapter played by others and it still gets me every time.

Another one was The Dragon Cancer. From start to finish, knowing what the game was about and how it had actual sound clips in it just hit too close to home for me. I have never been able to play it again because of how personal the story is. Tons of tears during that entire game.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot but really wanna give a special mention to FF7 Rebirth. The section here you play as Aerith as a child broke me. A short but impactful sequence
That got me too.

TLOU hospital another.

Remember phantom liberty
|| fighting way through all the way song bird kind of dying, confront reed, even though she lied to you, made hard choice then and there and carrying her onto the ride, for all the bad choices you make prior, I thought it was at least one good thing that could have done||

If selecting dialogue ever counts as playable sequence then in BG3 Karlach story also broke me too generally. Or Rya in Elden Ring. Shit is dark.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
If tears of joy count then the finale of The Wonderful 101 hit all of the right notes for me.

For regular ones? The last fight at the end of The Last Guardian. Needless to say the following cutscenes wrecked me.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never cried for a game, the only game that got really close was Journey. That last part is tremendous, Apotheosis is one of the best musics of all time.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good posts here already, but Bastion.

The end sequence of the kid saving Zulf despite the betrayal and carrying him through the leagues of arrows just to see the arrows stop as they realize what's happening

Perfect

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
I am pretty easy to trigger tears from (movies are especially bad, lol).

Memorable ones are the fight with Jenova after that scene in FF7, the ending of FF7: Crisis Core. I also really liked Gris, imo a very emotional ending, at least I interpreted it this way.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The end of act 2 of Ghost of Tsushima ruined me. It's been a while since I played it, but I'm fairly certain it was all playable bits.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Already been said a few times, but damn that microwave hallway got me.

"Despite everything, it's still you" also choked me up, as did flowey's monologue in no mercy.