Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Everything makes me cry. đź‘Ś

But I'll agree with Journey, Last Guardian, FF7 Rebirth trials, and Mother 3, mentioned here.

I was very emotional during the final boss of Xenoblade 3 lol. I was very emotional presenting the final evidence in Great Ace Attorney.

But legit, probably every game has made me teary at one point in time.

nostradukemas

Nov 16, 2019
The last level in Hi-Fi Rush

When everyone finally comes together and agrees they're all in it together while Whirring is playing. It was such an amazing ending to a perfect game for me.

Might've just caught me in the right night, but that spot had me holding back tears

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Kirby Star Allies when you fight the post post post game final boss on max difficulty. Att the very end realizing what the game has been hinting at while the final section of the 5th musical movement is so hauntingly sad and ends with a sad little rendition of Kirby's 8 bit theme. Can't remember a gameplay section ever making my heart ache as much, and those pause screen lore bits made it worse. Never would've expected a Kirby game of all things to hit me so hard, especially since I didn't become a fan until a year or two ago.

It isn't even that the gameplay was somehow sad, just the combination of everything in context made it heartbreaking.

View: https://youtu.be/bkj-PVpiJYQ

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
tumblr_mp69xesT9E1s4n45ro1_400.gif

8c81e5e567629c3b345ba7fefad864a0ac70d680.gifv

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The walk home in Earthbound was unlike anything id played before.
Parts of Red Dead 2.
The last parts of Plague Tale 2.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
The last level in Hi-Fi Rush

When everyone finally comes together and agrees they're all in it together while Whirring is playing. It was such an amazing ending to a perfect game for me.

Might've just caught me in the right night, but that spot had me holding back tears

Yep, came to post this. All the songs hit you in the feels in this level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnNBOwekVM (obvious spoilers for anyone clicking the link lol)

Even more bittersweet after the recent news :/

CamW666

Jun 29, 2023
Beginning of Ori and the Blind Forest and that scene(if you've played it, you know) in "Ori and the Will of the Wisps"

Last edited:

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Final Boss in MGS4. It going through the various health bars and theme songs from the series and Liquid taking the poses before it reverts to full "Ocelot" and he does the gun pose from MGS3 which is one of my favorite games of all time. Mixed feelings on the game as a whole, but it didn't waste its time being all subversive or cheap on the ending. It hit you with all the nostalgia the end of a massive series needed while incorporating that into the fight.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get teary + cry that often in cutscene or non-cutscene moments, so it's always really fascinating when it happens -- and with this thread, I realized the majority of those moments were actually interactive sequences.

The Last Guardian -- Everything, really, but particularly the end.

Stray -- The interactive component of the ending. I was sobbing.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker -- The soundtrack is such a memorable part of the game, along with the player's interactivity with it. I bawled over both Medli and Makar in their awakening moments (the music continuing through generations got to me!), so of course, any time Link had to manually play the associated melody, I ended up either in tears or blinking back tears. Because Link has to play those melodies a lot in the Wind and Earth Temple... it happened a lot, lol.

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and The Lost Demon -- The lead up + final boss. Really amazing emotional pay-off for Cereza's character growth, and Cereza and Cheshire's friendship.

NieR: Automata -- Ending E. Iconic.

Kentucky Route Zero -- Act IV and Act V. I still can't believe that in the same year that the incredible The Last of Us Part II came out, it was Kentucky Route Zero that repeatedly destroyed me.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
And last but not least, the entirety of Journey. I do not think we will ever have a game that hits in exactly the same way, that's both beautiful and sad. I remember having the same partner throughout the entire game, they got a little ahead of me, but they waited for me and we walked into the mountain together.
This is my answer. It messed me up.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Idk about tears but I definitely felt something and genuinely enjoyed the ending of Crisis Core

This one for certain. I played it for the first time last year with Reunion. I kept holding back Shinra soldiers until the game basically timed me out. I knew what was coming and wanted to keep fighting to avoid it.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I generally don't cry too much from games but the last time I can remember during a playable sequence was literally just riding around the open world of Breath Of The Wild triggering something in me. Nothing was even happening, I just remember just kind of taking it in and feeling like I'm never going to see anything as magical as this game ever again.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Ending E from Nier Automata made me a sobbing mess. Arthur Morgan in RDR2, the ride.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Ending E from Nier Automata probably at the top for me.

The the pile I'll add:
The last story and the ending of Edith Finch got me in the feels.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
GRIS - the ending sequence hit me so hard and suddenly. I wasn't even particularly invested throughout the game, but it was done so beautifully. Felt like it brought me some sort of closure I didn't know I needed.

Outer Wilds - many moments made me emotional, but "finishing" the DLC brought me to tears. Such a well told/discovered story, and one where its impact was completely enhanced by the medium.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
There's a few but the one I'd like to highlight, which doesn't get brought up often, and were more tears of delight, is in RDR2 when you row out to a lake as John to propose your fiancé. Such a small but beautiful moment.The entire epilogue is beautiful.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory "ending E" for Nier Automata.

I platinumed the game and have no memory of any ending being emotional :(

The final moments of The Last Guardian tore me to pieces. A big reason why I haven't been able to replay it.

I love you for this comment. I still remember that I actually got up from the couch during the last sequence because I was worried about the events and tried to will it into existence that nothing bad happens.

Yup. I was going to say Journey too.

Also frostpunk in the final cold wave and this starts playing...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaFE6_nDJw

This is one of my all time favorite tracks but I never realized that it was built into the game sequence in a powerful way. Damn I would love to play it now but I couldn't even finish the first scenario.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
final bossfight of 358/2 days. Really just doing that to a character you care about and the difficulty of it too making it a real challenge to do something you don't want to do. Took me like 3 days to actually beat that boss, it was a lot

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Metal Gear Solid 4 final battle.
End of an era.

Iost the fight since I couldn't see anything because of the tears.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Can't remember the last time I cried at a game (Movies and shows yea)
But
I could feel the emotion during the final battle of Lisa the Painful
Undertale's finale was brilliant
THAT scene after the 2nd Main game during Your Turn to Die, you know the one.
Recently the Epilogue of Sun's Social Link as well as the ending of Persona 3 Reload was very well done.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a fairly short and mostly uninvolved quest in Warframe to get the Sevagoth warframe, and during the course of the quest there's one section where the gameplay portion isn't very important, but a song plays that for some reason really struck a chord with me at the moment.
For context, during the quest itself you are chasing a literal ghost starship that has been sorta haunting a captain of an enemy faction, and the song is from her perspective, after being left for dead in the cold space surrounded by the corpses of her crew. When the song happens, it's fairly unexpected, and the lyrics ended up hitting for me since I didn't expect to empathize with the enemy captain, after also having chased her for a while during the quest.

Weirdly enough, in the same game there's another song that also ended up moving me to tears, but that one actually "makes more sense" (for me at least) since it involves an earlier questline that was fairly emotional.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think Death Stranding is one of the most accomplished interactive works in evoking an potent emotional resonance from the player by engaging them in deceptively simple concepts, and does this routinely through the symbiotic nature between narrative, play, and presentation. Almost if not every game system, tool, device, structure, vehicle, and so on, is not just interwoven into the narrative, but meaningfully integrated into the moment-to-moment experience in such a way that they don't feel compartmentalised to cutscenes but instead an extension of your ability to interact with a virtual world.

This is further supplemented by the core gameplay loop being one that is passive. All the fluff of combat and stealth and whatever else are just sprinklings on what is ultimately a game about getting from A to B to C. It is, in the literal sense, a "walking simulator" in that every game system informs the act of traversal and journey. There's maybe not a single game in existence that devotes so much delicate attention and detail to the experience of navigating the world, where the ground beneath you feels genuinely, and you feel your presence with every step. This isn't a "hold forward and zone out" kind of game, but one where the challenge of moving between habitats demands your attention and engagement. There's a deep, intimate connectivity between your avatar and the world.

And given how the game so masterfully intertwines traditional gameplay concepts into this basic act of journeying, the immaculate production brings everything together to result an experience that is magical. For example, the early game first stretch to Port Knot city, the game building up its introduction to gameplay systems, and finally tasking you on long, challenging stretch of complex topography culminating in claustrophobic, BT dense rocky path, timefall rain rapidly deteriorating your essential cargo, is one of the greatest moments in video games for me precisely for the moment that you make it through and for the final stretch the rain clears, the sun shines, you have a gorgeous vista of the base, and Asylums for the Feeling kicks in as you make a passive descent down the mountainside.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEZ47j6dP8

The game is loaded with so many of these moments of gameplay, music, visuals, challenge, and narrative coming together organically in a real time, interactive experience, that you can't help but be genuinely, deeply moved by what's happening on screen.

And that's why Death Stranding is one of the greatest games ever made.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
OMORI

Fighting OMORI with Sunny

The song distorting as you go, OMORI telling you all sorts of wonderful things along the way, and finally revealing the (possibly obvious) truth.

Stabbed me in the gut hard. Depression and helplessness hurts.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Spiritfarer waited for me to push the button at the very end I basically had a complete emotional breakdown, and sobbed for like 5 minutes straight. I've never in my life had a reaction to a game like that. I think I have some stuff about death I need to work through.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed the game and have no memory of any ending being emotional :(

Different strokes, man, but I can't imagine getting to Endind E and not being touched.

"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution" followed by

Pod 042 hacking the game itself and fighting the gods of the game's universe with the other players who've come before you to force a happy ending is fucking beautiful to me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Death Stranding: Lay BB to rest.
The Last of Us Part II:
The final fight on
the beach… I thought for sure Abby would die

and wouldn't have been able to accept that.
Gonna try to remember other sequences, I cried the first time I finished Ghost Trick, but I don't think it was during a playable sequence.

Feb 5, 2018
Similar vein, but rescuing Aqua has to be one of the most powerful moments in KH3. Her theme playing in dramatic fashion for that bossfight is awesome.

KH3 is a lot of things, but man the payoffs for much of the major plot beats and conflicts are worth it in their own way

Except Xehanort himself, I hated how "easy" he got off

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Telltale's Walking Dead, Season 1, final chapter.
Cutting off Lee's arm and later shooting him with Clem. I really liked Lee and I was devastated when the game gave me the chance of shooting him. But I'd rather he die knowing he wouldn't come back.
right here for me too. the first time i was moved to tears by a game. i've probably cried since but that one always sticks with me even though i dropped the series after season 3 ep 1

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Okami at the half way mark during the final boss fight ist the most intense so far.
Had to pause, because I couldn't see.
Can't remember a single game where everything you did before and seemed unimportant culminates in that single moment so beautifully.

Brothers Tale of Two Sons near the end

Journey final level

Last edited: