• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has featured a cosmetic-based economy since its early access days, and most gamers quickly came to terms with that. After all, a simple cosmetic doesn't have much of an impact on gameplay, right? As it turns out, however, the game's own developers at PUBG Corporation seem to disagree with that commonly held belief.

In making its case to remove infringing games like Rules Of Survival from sale, PUBG Corp asserts a rather interesting claim about PUBG's cosmetic loot. More specifically, the documents suggest cosmetic infringement should be taken seriously because PUBG's cosmetics are a critical gameplay element. That excerpt of the lawsuit can be read below:

"However, clothing does affect gameplay in terms of camouflage. Clothing can be used to assist the player to blend in with the environment, making the player less visually detectable. In particular, Battlegrounds includes a Ghillie suit, a full body suit covered with camouflaging material typically used by snipers. The Ghillie suit allows the player to become nearly visually invisible depending upon the terrain."

Even though the Ghillie suit used in the official example refers to an item that's freely available during a given match, the statement itself can be easily applied to all paid cosmetic loot in the game. For example, when the new Savage map goes public, there's technically nothing stopping content creators from making an exceptionally camouflaged suit to match the environment that costs $50 or more per key. The ability to conceal is a gameplay advantage, and, in the framework of this lawsuit, the game's developers concur.

Some PUBG fans may not see such an admission as a big deal, but it's worth highlighting that the phrasing goes directly against statements made by PUBG Corporation CEO Changhan Kim this past November. "We will never add anything that affects the gameplay," Kim said in a Q&A, adding that "there is a relatively strong demand for cosmetic items." But, as suggested in the statement above, these cosmetics do have a gameplay effect.
More at http://www.newsweek.com/pubg-rules-survival-lawsuit-cosmetic-affect-gameplay-876461

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brendan Greene continues to disgust me.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Companies will change the narrative to benefit them financially, I guess. It's interesting to see, and I wonder if other companies would say the same in these circumstances .

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I think everybody knows that cosmetics do affect gameplay, even if they claim otherwise.

People joke about Gibus players in TF2, for example, but your hats do have a tangible effect on things like the priority Medics give you. Ditto with Overwatch, and of course PUBG has camo and stuff. The only games with genuinely non-affecting cosmetics are ones where the cosmetics are barely noticeable like Battlefield 1.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ghillie is a factor mostly towards end game where the player has no cover, but like you say it's a free supply drop anyway. Most of the paid stuff I've seen makes you stick out more if anything.

Companies will change the narrative to benefit them financially, I guess.

Basically this.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DIsgust? That's a strong word. What exactly disgusts you about this person?

When he was first making the Battle Royale modes he was excited to help developers to put the mode into their games. Then when he found success with his own standalone version he went on to bitch about developers stealing his mode or not changing it enough. In the past he willingly helped to make copies of his mode. Now his company is suing people/studios over imitating the mode and the stupidest shit within the game.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have people played Pubg and not realised the difference cosmetics make?

Shit even wearing shoes makes your steps louder vs being barefoot.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
according to that recent event him and Deadmau5 both have stealth accounts on Era ;)

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... yeah? Of course you'll stand out more in the brown map if you are wearing dark colours or stand out more in the darkness if you are wearing white.

The things like the ghilli suit are only in supply drops dropped during a match and they are the biggest camouflage.

If you want good camouflage the best items are the cheapest. You can sell a crate you get (most sell for around 25p+) and then buy cheap items at 3p or 4p each. Things like the various earth tone long sleeved T-shirts and jeans. They offer much better camouflage compared to a big black trench coat or bright yellow tracksuit.

When he was first making the Battle Royale modes he was excited to help developers to put the mode into their games. Then when he found success with his own standalone version he went on to bitch about developers stealing his mode or not changing it enough. In the past he willingly helped to make copies of his mode. Now his company is suing people/studios over imitating the mode and the stupidest shit within the game.

They are suing games (usually from China) that are straight rip offs. Things that use assets or try to confuse consumers. Games that use the same logo treatment and very similar assets and gameplay that could cause confusion with their very own official mobile version. They aren't suing companies like Epic or Hi-Rez that are including Battle Royale modes. Hell, Epic is the biggest and most successful Battle Royale game right now and PUBG can't and won't do anything about it and they very much cashed in on the PUBG train.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even non gameplay affecting cosmetics affect the game play.
If it wouldn't, people would not use them. But they like to show off. Like to collect. So i don't know why that would bring up this. Particular unique case.

dezzyeight

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Are they suing someone for having a guillie suit in their game now? Just continue making your game the best itcan be. Stop trying to shut everyone else down. Didn't see Blizzard trying to shut Paladins down. Let them get their scraps

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've killed my fair share of players because of the clipping through doors and terrain caused by the in-game physics xD.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Brendan Greene continues to disgust me.
Disgust is a strong word but as soon as the success hit he turned into a knobhead really quick.

Had some nice chats with the guy on discord during the alphas and test phases but as soon as it "released" on steam he completely changed.

I really don't like him or PUBG Corp anymore.
Suing people over game mechanics like energy drinks and gullie suits.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

You're a Medic, you have a choice between healing one of two people who are about to die. Your choices are:

- Cuddly Lazers, with an Australium Rocket Launcher and an unusual Team Captain

- x_BillyNoScopes_x, wearing achievement hats

People assume that the player with the pimped out characters are more dedicated to the game, and generally speaking more dedicated players are better. Johnny Gibusvision simply isn't going to be getting those Ubers if he isn't at the top of the scoreboard, and it's even worse in Overwatch where there isn't actually a scoreboard for people to judge their teammates by and see if that player with no skins is worth prioritizing.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... yeah? Of course you'll stand out more in the brown map if you are wearing dark colours or stand out more in the darkness if you are wearing white.

The things like the ghilli suit are only in supply drops dropped during a match and they are the biggest camouflage.

If you want good camouflage the best items are the cheapest. You can sell a crate you get (most sell for around 25p+) and then buy cheap items at 3p or 4p each. Things like the various earth tone long sleeved T-shirts and jeans. They offer much better camouflage compared to a big black trench coat or bright yellow tracksuit.

They are suing games (usually from China) that are straight rip offs. Things that use assets or try to confuse consumers. Games that use the same logo treatment and very similar assets and gameplay that could cause confusion with their very own official mobile version. They aren't suing companies like Epic or Hi-Rez that are including Battle Royale modes. Hell, Epic is the biggest and most successful Battle Royale game right now and PUBG can't and won't do anything about it and they very much cashed in on the PUBG train.
They included the frying pan in their lawsuit.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
This just seems pretty obvious it's why I wonder why people run around in those bright yellow tracksuits you can see them a mile away.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, yeah, duh. He'll continue to defend his games microtransactions in the public eye by saying they don't though.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
They included the frying pan in their lawsuit.
Yes. An item in a long list of other things. They aren't suing just because another game has a frying pan as a weapon. They are suing because it has a pan used in the same way along with a long list of other things both gameplay and visual.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, they do. Visibility is a huge factor and people have ran around barefoot to cushion footsteps for a while.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmetics which can serve as camouflage will have a gameplay benefit to the wearing party, it is something the designers need to take into account and if necessary - remove and refund anyone who bought it (though in fairness, maybe some test environment experience may help out before putting it in a live environment).

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were talking about the ghillie suit, the item that is a drop you get in game like weapons, not something you pay for. That has nothing to do with the actual customisation cosmetics. Ghillie suits are not being sold. What a terrible thread.
Well, yeah, duh. He'll continue to defend his games microtransactions in the public eye by saying they don't though.
The ghillies suits are not micro transactions.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
If I was epic I'd add a frying pan and a Ghillie suit to Fortnite just to piss this bud off lol.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
In fairness to Player Unknown, brand confusion is a thing and the games the lawsuit are based on do copy a lot of Battlegrounds' visual style.

Although ultimately I don't think they have much of a case. Players winning Turkey dinners in Rules of Survival is corny as fuck but probably distinctive enough.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I never really thought about it but I have been changing my skins in OW to whichever helps me blend in better on that particular map since the option to change pre-match was patched in. Still not sure that it actually helps though.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's technically nothing stopping content creators from making an exceptionally camouflaged suit to match the environment that costs $50 or more per key.
Technically they could do anything. When they do maybe try again with this argument.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're a Medic, you have a choice between healing one of two people who are about to die. Your choices are:

- Cuddly Lazers, with an Australium Rocket Launcher and an unusual Team Captain

- x_BillyNoScopes_x, wearing achievement hats

People assume that the player with the pimped out characters are more dedicated to the game, and generally speaking more dedicated players are better. Johnny Gibusvision simply isn't going to be getting those Ubers if he isn't at the top of the scoreboard, and it's even worse in Overwatch where there isn't actually a scoreboard for people to judge their teammates by and see if that player with no skins is worth prioritizing.
Yeah no for me. I heal who needs to be healed the most. If that is not the tank, then it is who is closest and lowest. I give zero shits about what the player looks like. I also wear the base skin on most of my characters. I have enough to hold to buy gold weapons for every OW character but Just don't care about them.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. An item in a long list of other things. They aren't suing just because another game has a frying pan as a weapon. They are suing because it has a pan used in the same way along with a long list of other things both gameplay and visual.
Hes ridiculous. He owns pan physics now. Common sense that it could block bullets no?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently saying ghillie suits (that you cant buy) help you stay camouflaged is a bad thing?
People are so desperate to shit on PUBG they go on to try to complain about the ghillie suit that has been in the game for several months literally meant to be actual camouflage and cannot be bought and won't ever be able to be bought.
Hes ridiculous. He owns pan physics now. Common sense that it could block bullets no?
Jesus you guys need some law lessons or some shit. They are not suing over individual things. You can have a pan on your game and they won't sue you. You can have a ghillie suit. You can have a BR game. The lawsuit is not about the right to individual elements. The lawsuit is literally about the combination of every single element in a product that tries to disguise as the exact same thing.
Has anyone done that before though? Combined with the hundred other things these games clearly ripped off and then used the PUBG brand to promote their game.
yep. Even went as far as promoting their games with concept art of vehicles that are not present in the clones but are in PUBG

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
got hundreds of hours and countless wins under my belt, earned dozens of distinct items. clothing doesn't affect gameplay, even if you wear a white coat and pants (which I do).

taking off your shoes does dampen your footsteps a bit, but that's it.

ridiculous lawsuit btw.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me if I have on a red shirt, purple pants, white hoodie with the massive afro haircut and I'm holding my bright orange M4 that I won't blend into the grass as easily has someone wearing the brown pants and grey shirt that you start with!!

Why did nobody tell me this?!

SONOFABITCH!!!! Fucking Brenden Greene at it again!

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your definition of gameplay. Are visuals part of gameplay or do they at least affect the gameplay.

In the case of a Ghillie Suit yes. To put that on "All" cosmetics is silly. Just because you might enjoy the experience if you are dressed in a particular costume doesn't mean it is apart of gameplay. Gameplay refers to mechanics that may help you win or lose a game. Camo's in a PVP game I can understand being associated with gameplay. I saw a John Wick skin for fortnight and while cool looking, unless it changes stats or has perks that affect the mechanics then it is not gameplay, it is purely cosmetic.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tough to keep yo bullshit straight when there's some cold hard green to grab I guess.
The ghillie suit item was literally always meant to be camouflage. Like it was literally said as such when introduced a shitload of months ago. It's a match drop. It's not a customisation cosmetic. It can't be bought.

Y'all fucking making shit up saying they introduced ghillie suits and said they were only cosmetic. They didn't ever do that. Ever.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I haven't played the game in months, since 1.0 they've done very little with the game and that's why Fortnite took off like it did. Everything I read about PUBG corp and Brendan really makes me regret supporting them.