• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol I'm just gonna wait till we have crystal clear foolproof information. What a mess this has been.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
To me, PlayStation is not just competing with PlayStation. They're competing with the Xbox. Xbox has set a standard of what is possible through BC and how you can support your platform with legacy titles.

I've envied that feature on Xbox for years and have wanted a similar service in the PlayStation ecosystem. Whatever the justification, and regardless of how it compares to previous PlayStation systems, I am disappointed with the news we got today.

As someone who loves PlayStation and PlayStation games, I really hate how little of the platform's catalog is available to me. :(
MS has been seriously kicking it out of the ballpark when it comes to services like this. You can really tell that they've slowly but surely been building up their next-gen game plan through BC, Game Pass and stuff like that while Sony has really just been coasting along through their stellar software catalog, but MS are looking to bring the heat. I'm not saying it's a wrap for Sony if they can't provide full BC with the PS4 but MS are literally doing everything in their power to make their offering look sooooooooooo much better than Sony's outside of software and that so hard to ignore, even if you only own a PlayStation.

It's sad honestly, but Sony dominating this gen really did give MS the kick in the butt to sort their shit out so it'll be interesting to see how things progress moving forward. I can't say the next-gen mindshare has been too much in Sony's favor thus far. I say this as someone who had a 360 last gen but picked up a PS4 after sorta feeling disillusoned by MS' approach at the start of the gen.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So they lock themselves up with that 36 CU count to match the PS4 Pro CU number in order to handle BC via hardware and now even this won't allow for full compatibility day one?

Man, this keeps getting better and better.

Can someone clarify? My impression was that every PS4 game will play in standard PS4 mode or PS4 Pro mode if it has a Pro patch. The "top 100" thing refers to games essentially getting a PS5 boost patch - right?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point being made is that there will probably be a few weird outliers where something doesn't work perfectly, even if it does run on XSX. It will probably be fairly few cases compared to previous instances of BC, but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that not 100% of XBX titles in existence will run flawlessly. If anything notable has those issues they may go out of their way to clean things up, of course.

It's not being said as a gotcha or insult, and it will probably not be an issue for the vast majority of people. You don't have to think MS is lying or something, it just may not end up being 100% technically accurate.
I've already acknowledged if this was the point they were trying to make then they might be right. Emphasis on might.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
The point being made is that there will probably be a few weird outliers where something doesn't work perfectly, even if it does run on XSX. It will probably be fairly few cases compared to previous instances of BC, but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that not 100% of XBX titles in existence will run flawlessly. If anything notable has those issues they may go out of their way to clean things up, of course.

It's not being said as a gotcha or insult, and it will probably not be an issue for the vast majority of people. You don't have to think MS is lying or something, it just may not end up being 100% technically accurate. It's definitely a big achievement and a cool thing to support/put effort into, regardless.
I don't think they are going to bring Kinect over, so those games wouldn't be compatible. That said, I have way more faith in MS BC than Sony's right now,

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking poor backwards compatibility marketing will have any actual effect on the popular reception to ps5

all is forgiven as soon as they show spidey 2 or god of war 2 running on this thing. shit, all is forgiven when they show madden, nba 2k and fifa running on this thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly they need to do a whole separate presentation just focusing on what they're doing with PS5 BC, ASAP. Cause what they communicated is ranging from unclear to just plain unappealing.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Posts like this should be banned. How is this arrogant sony?

Not at least matching there competition in some "gimmicks" and good will. Every gen is a refresh but always someone drops rhe ball or has a "oh Shit" moment and right now, based on twitter, this thread and youtube, Sony getting more negative fanfare

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Worst part of "top 100" is that like, 5% of those are probably just all the Call of Duty games on PS4. Thank god Black Ops 3 will run on PS5.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Why do folks keep acting as if only 100 titles are BC? It sounds like 100 are confirmed working with ps5 boosts, the rest run in ps4pro mode or ps4 mode depending.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Can someone clarify? My impression was that every PS4 game will play in standard PS4 mode or PS4 Pro mode if it has a Pro patch. The "top 100" thing refers to games essentially getting a PS5 boost patch - right?
Straight from the PS blog:

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

Until further notice, not fully BC.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Why do folks keep acting as if only 100 titles are BC? It sounds like 100 are confirmed working with ps5 boosts, the rest run in ps4pro mode or ps4 mode depending.
Because the blog post doesn't say "playable with boost clocks" it says "playable on PS5", full stop. So either it's as you're saying and the messaging is just terrible, or it's the worse case scenario.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Read the blog post. What's on there differs from what Cerny said on stage with the boost stuff. "Playable at launch on PS5", doesn't say anything about boost clocks.

ETaSXYBWkAEJczj.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they clearly don't care that MS is setting new pro-consumer standards.
Lol delusional posts at the best.
Not at least matching there competition in some "gimmicks" and good will. Every gen is a refresh but always someone drops rhe ball or has a "oh Shit" moment and right now, based on twitter, this thread and youtube, Sony getting more negative fanfare
not really as soon as they start showing next gen games it will be all forgotten.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever the case, the messaging so far is pretty lackluster...the fact that we had to guess and speculate even after a deep dive.

Just watched the kinda funny stream and even the PS I love xoxo guys said that sony's ps5 messaging is weird and confusing.....

Like I know all the top marketing guys from the PS4 launch are gone but still, can't current marketing team learn from it?

The current climate is that first messaging counts as the real messaging and spreads fast. Look at the Xbox one, even though me backtracked the initial plan, the stench of the launch plans still lingers. Sony REALLY needs to come out and clarify things instead of letting half answers like these that cast a bad light becomes the real news.
I wouldn't read too much in this until we get the full reveal. Remember this was always technical talk that wasn't really aimed at the general public. It was never going to be that exciting for the average consumer. I found it fascinating, but it was more like a lecture in a classroom.

I do want more clarity on some stuff like how exactly BC works and for what systems. Also they really need to let us know when we will actually see more of the system and it's features. It's almost like they are being too careful with the reveal.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Well no offense but you should read the official Playstation blog post closely. Full PS4 BC is not supported.
I read it. They said backward compatibility is "working well." They didn't say that only 99 games from the entire PS4 library are working. They said that they've only tested 100 games so far. It's perfectly possible that the other 3900+ work properly. As they test more, they may find other games that are encountering issues, but they literally say in the text that they're going to work out fixes on a game-by-game basis. So it is clearly their intention to support full PS4 BC, the tech just isn't 100% aligned at the moment.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He got one but he doesn't tweet very often.

Someone at Playstation needs to comment. I mean obviously there won't be 100% compatibility but now some are saying it's a game by game basis or even worse there are only 100 games compatible. To me the blog post and Cerny are simply saying there is BC but some games might not work. And they have tested the top 100 games and they worked fine and that since there are over 4000 games they will continue testing to find the games that don't work and expand the compatibility list. Am I crazy for interpreting it this way? How is it that I read it this way but this thread is burning down in flames?

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I took it as "we tested the 100 most played titles, most of them work, we'll keep adding more" so by the time it launches the number will be higher. Can't rewatch the video now though.
That said, the slide does make it look like there are boost and legacy modes. But it's not what I got from Cerny at all.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019

Not how I interpreted it. They just run as they do now.

I'm guessing it's something to do with Xbox games using DirectX so that takes care of any hardware quirks whereas PS4 is more to the metal and that causes issues.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because they clearly don't care that MS is setting new pro-consumer standards.

So much for Pro consumer memory upgrades right?

I read it. They said backward compatibility is "working well." They didn't say that only 99 games from the entire PS4 library are working. They said that they've only tested 100 games so far. It's perfectly possible that the other 3900+ work properly. As they test more, they may find other games that are encountering issues, but they literally say in the text that they're going to work out fixes on a game-by-game basis. So it is clearly their intention to support full PS4 BC, the tech just isn't 100% aligned at the moment.

if im correct they cant say 100% because they can get sued legally?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
What's on there differs from what Cerny said on stage with the boost stuff.

It doesn't. The "boost" is the higher speeds the PS5 runs at even when running in a mode designed to interpret PS4/Pro instructions which is what necessitates the testing/review for each game.

That said, the slide does make it look like there are boost and legacy modes. But it's not what I got from Cerny at all.

Those aren't user-facing modes. That's what the PS5 will use to interpret commands that expect a PS4/Pro to run them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not even XB1 titles will be 100%. Like the PS5 it'll probably be 99%.
Xbox BC percentage is in a range that'll give anyone confidence in knowing thier game will be playable day 1. Coverage is vastly higher then 2.5% (if we take the 100 of 4000 as the library number).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bitterly disappointing and certainly a misstep. Players want access to their digital libraries and it should carry over to the new consoles. Should not be too much to ask for in 2020, especially when your main competitor is able to do it. Lets hope it's just poor messaging and every PS4 game is indeed playable on PS5 via a legacy mode.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
imagine thinking poor backwards compatibility marketing will have any actual effect on the popular reception to ps5

all is forgiven as soon as they show spidey 2 or god of war 2 running on this thing. shit, all is forgiven when they show madden, nba 2k and fifa running on this thing.
This is facts but it's still pretty sad. Sony don't need to give a shit about proper BC as long as the PS5's first-party offerings are insane.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Someone at Playstation needs to comment. I mean obviously there won't be 100% compatibility but now some are saying it's a game by game basis or even worse there are only 100 games compatible. To me the blog post and Cerny are simply saying there is BC but some games might not work. And they have tested the top 100 games and they worked fine and that since there are over 4000 games they will continue testing to find the games that don't work and expand the compatibility list. Am I crazy for interpreting it this way? How is it that I read it this way but this thread is burning down in flames?

A lot of us thought that was what he meant at first. But the PS Blog post seems to only focus on those "Top 100" games which is really confusing. We just have to wait and see if Sony comes out with a definitive word on that.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Listen again. Cerny was only talking about Top 100 PS4 titles and he said "almost all of them will be playable at launch." In other words, not even all top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch

Holy crap, many people need serious reading/listening comprehensions skills. It's even clarified in the blog post that almost all 4,000 PS4 games will work on PS5 at launch, but they tested the top 100.

Why do people invent things if they don't understand them. It's so easy to spill BS!

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I felt that arrogant Sony was back ever since they thought they could have an E3 with only 4 titles, which on top were presented through cringe concerts. It's been downhill ever since and MS has been gathering all the goodwill.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Let's say that was true, why the F would they announce that and not say we expect most games to be working at launch. Why say 100 now as of this very day? Not that we expect many by launch and will work to get most in time????

Is Don Matrick at sony now for messaging?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Like, you think nearly an entire generation where MS tried to claw back marketshare with "Backwards compatibility! Game Pass! Most Powerful Console! etc." and not only fail, but ultimately be overtaken by the Switch, a system that launched 3 years later, is barely more powerful than PS360 and has no BC with either of Nintendo's previous systems would have taught people that this shit doesn't matter, but here we are...

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So do we know if Cerny was talking about compatibility for just boosted functionality or for PS4 native modes?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to eventually have both next gen consoles, but right now, barring some very impressive 1st party game showings from Sony, the Series X is looking like it's gonna be at the top of my console priority. The better specs, Game Pass, and better BC are just too tempting.