• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sorry, for the double, but I guess it makes sense considering the whole of Era was ganging up on me in the past 24 hours. I'm not sure why you all went into a frenzy, no one was denying that smaller chips are cheaper. But 4% smaller chip while clocks are 22% faster and the cooling solution is more expensive? That's a different story, a pretty extreme case. No much has change TBH.
Where is the 4% coming from? It's at least 11% smaller.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's talking about his hypothetical 44-CU, 2 GHz or whatever APU that would be more expensive but run cooler at the same TF count.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Damn, in the demo loading times were like 3-4 seconds, that's impressive. I really liked the UI, I wonder how much support some of these features will have, I hope that at least Sony makes it mandatory for all Sony published games (and maybe some updated BC games too?).
Loving it too.

Have a feeling the OSmaybe taking more than the 2.5GB the XSX OS takes though.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Qfg1uHi.jpg

dtrum3zqn5t51.png

What's this?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's normal for SSDs to have a DRAM cache. Despite Sony's SSD patent it looks like they're going the traditional way while Microsoft went cache-less.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Sorry, for the double, but I guess it makes sense considering the whole of Era was ganging up on me in the past 24 hours. I'm not sure why you all went into a frenzy, no one was denying that smaller chips are cheaper. But 4% smaller chip while clocks are 22% faster and the cooling solution is more expensive? That's a different story, a pretty extreme case. No much has change TBH.

Without actual hard pricing data to support either case, it's all merely speculation and grasping at straws.

No-one here, had an issue with the speculation, however. More-so the inference that the actual system architects themselves were wrong or made poor choices, when your entire argument is predicated on a swathe of assumptions and very little real data.

The rest of us merely assume, the reason Sony went this direction is because the actual cost analysis they did favored their approach. They're the ones with the hard data after all. In which case, it's a much safer and more logical assumption to make.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So the I/O block has its own SRAM cache and the flash controller uses DRAM cache?
You're still assuming they're using the patent. Sony might have simply made a perfectly normal SSD that happens to be really fast because it has 12 channels of flash and uses PCIE 4.0. What you're suggesting is possible, but iirc the point of the patent was to get rid of the DRAM cache in the first place.
Ah, never mind, I think I see what you're saying here. Yeah, that's probably how it works.
I assumed you were still talking about the patent, lol.
In reality, it will be Burger King.
Saying "Burger King" activates Xbox BC so you can play Sneak King.

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, all the near misses in this conversation, myself included. Let me give this another shot...

I'm reasonably certain that the I/O Complex is on the APU, which is separate from the flash controller. It makes sense that the I/O Complex would use SRAM since it's on the APU and is doing hard work like decompression and DMA. I don't think DRAM is really an option there.

The flash controller is over by the flash chips, and is probably handling stuff like wear leveling and write caching. Unlike Sony's patent, it apparently has a big DRAM chip to assist in those tasks.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Wow, all the near misses in this conversation, myself included. Let me give this another shot...

I'm reasonably certain that the I/O Complex is on the APU, which is separate from the flash controller. It makes sense that the I/O Complex would use SRAM since it's on the APU and is doing hard work like decompression and DMA. I don't think DRAM is really an option there.

The flash controller is over by the flash chips, and is probably handling stuff like wear leveling and write caching. Unlike Sony's patent, it apparently has a big DRAM chip to assist in those tasks.
Correct, you can see it right here with the Samsung style etching on it. The Flash chips on the other hand are made by Toshiba.

1CImoZk.png

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The flash controller could have an embedded ARM CPU or something, and 2GB of DDR4 is plenty to run an embedded FreeBSD OS. This would leave the main APU with 16GB of GDDR6 for games.
The APU still needs its own OS, it's how games talk to the hardware. There needs to be memory management, file and network I/O, graphics calls, audio calls, and all of that needs to happen quickly so that games aren't waiting on a tiny embedded ARM to get their request to the hardware.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The APU still needs its own OS, it's how games talk to the hardware. There needs to be memory management, file and network I/O, graphics calls, audio calls, and all of that needs to happen quickly so that games aren't waiting on a tiny embedded ARM to get their request to the hardware.
If you think of the APU as a unified GPU with an integrated memory IO, the Flash controller as the CPU, and the system with a split memory pool of 16GB + 2GB, games wouldn't need an entire OS loaded in GDDR6, you'd be using it like VRAM.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a tech casual. I was wondering what I should buy to expand the memory for the PS5? It seems there's no official card in the works but there is presumably a list coming soon of compatible cards?

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
So wait is there extra 2gb of ram for the OS or is that purely for ssd management

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I'm a tech casual. I was wondering what I should buy to expand the memory for the PS5? It seems there's no official card in the works but there is presumably a list coming soon of compatible cards?
Hold off on buying anything until an official list is released but if you are very eager to try something there are 2 SSDs thus far that meet the purported specs.

Samsung 980 Pro
Western Digital SN850

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Where do you get 2 GB from? Searching for the part number in the upper picture (K4A4G085WE), I find a Samsung 4 Gbit DDR4 SDRAM. With 8 bits per byte, that would be 512 MB.
That's not the correct chip image.
this is
I think the Dram cache of the SSD controller is a 16Gb (2GB) chip from Samsung, the K4AAG085WB-MCRC.

This is the chip on the PS5 board, next to the SSD controller:
BeTzWLA.png

X5gUaX4.png

This is the Samsung chip:
2nIrWyW.png

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If you say so, but I must say your upper two pictures are too low-res for me to be certain they show the exact same part number as that on the lower picture. And the capacity seems encoded in a single character for those chips.
Yeah I agree but that looks closer to what the model is it could be higher or lower in capacity though.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
If you say so, but I must say your upper two pictures are too low-res for me to be certain they show the exact same part number as that on the lower picture. And the capacity seems encoded in a single character for those chips.
Looking at it, k4A4g085we(f?)-bctd looks right. Definitely doesn't look like there's an AA in there like previously stated.

Jan 20, 2019
Does anybody has the UI patent?

I remember that one part of it was to jump in to a level and that just got confirmed yesterday, just like to see if there is something elese they havent show yet.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Does anybody has the UI patent?

I remember that one part of it was to jump in to a level and that just got confirmed yesterday, just like to see if there is something elese they havent show yet.
www.resetera.com

First glimpse(?) of PS5 OS/UI design (new patent revealed)

gofreak posted an interesting new patent discovery in the PlayStation Studios thread. Sony has promised a full unveil very soon but this patent seems to reveal a lot of the details. As written up by gofreak : "Some concepts there: A thumbnail bar for games at the bottom The selected...

Jan 20, 2019
www.resetera.com

First glimpse(?) of PS5 OS/UI design (new patent revealed)

gofreak posted an interesting new patent discovery in the PlayStation Studios thread. Sony has promised a full unveil very soon but this patent seems to reveal a lot of the details. As written up by gofreak : "Some concepts there: A thumbnail bar for games at the bottom The selected...

Thank you, couldnt find anything new.

I was looking for the create button, but it seems they want to keep that secret for a little longer.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The flash controller could have an embedded ARM CPU or something, and 2GB of DDR4 is plenty to run an embedded FreeBSD OS. This would leave the main APU with 16GB of GDDR6 for games.
No. At best, what they could have done is have like 6GB of LPDDR4x (48Gb package) RAM with its own separate bus directly on the APU. That 8GB LPDDR4 ram could then have a split partition, 6GB for the OS and 2GB reserved for the SSD. Then that way, they could use all of the 16GB GDDR6 RAM as an "app" RAMfr games and apps. The CPU and GPU in the APU will also see and have access to the OS RAM.

It would have been a spiritual successor of how the PS4 currently also has some DRAM to help the OS. However, this would have added at least $15 to the BOM. More like $20 since the APU would be a little bigger (+5 - 10mm2). And you are generally adding a lot more complexity.

The OS will still need to reserve like 500MB - 1GB of RAM on the GDDR6 pool though. This would be the only way to go about it if you want the OS to pretty much at independently of the GDDR6 pool f faster and more expensive RAM.

I believe they dropped this option entirely because they have an SSD that is capable of blisteringly fast speeds. That changes everything and how you approach designing your system. So yes, your OS may be taking up as much as 3 - 4GB from your RAM. But you need less space in RAM to act as an asset cache since you can stream data into RAM literally by the second.

Its something like this, if the system is using 10GB of an available 13GB just or VRAM, chances are, 5-6GB of that 10GB is an asset cache. And of that 5-6GB, only about half of it is actually used to render whatever you are seeing on the screen at any given time. Ideally, the other half is kept on there as a sort of preload, in case you jump through a window, go into a building/room...etc. Basically, a lot of what is on the RAM is actually not being used but there just in case you need it.

And if you recall, this kinda highly inefficient system was made necessary from the simple fact that all these things have been built around HDDs in the pat where 50MB/s transfer speeds were about the bet you ould realistically be getting. So that made it very necessary to have a data cache sitting in RAM. What do you think happens if you can now stream data at 5GB/s vs 50MB/s? A fast SSD changes that as you would need even less of that RAM to act as a cache. Hence, more RAM could be given to the OS.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone started looking at HDMI 21 cables yet or even bought some? I think for PS5 I may need a 3m one to properly route it to my TV and they seem to be a bit picky at longer lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.