FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
More expensive plus for most people it is something they can afford considering the economy.
Surprised it is only 800k from missing its target.

Though I will be happy if that means we get another 8 year generation.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Taking the lack of supply during the pandemic and the price tag, it would be odd if anyone spun this as anything but successful

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
The price needs to come down for it to increase its base beyond the rate its at. Shit the PS4 would still be selling decently if they were able to officially get it down to $200.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Taking the lack of supply during the pandemic and the price tag, it would be odd if anyone spun this as anything but successful
The only negative thing about it is that it missed Sony's initial guidance (twice) which implies that they weren't expecting PS5 to peak until a few months later. In isolation the results are amazing.

And let's not forget the huge success of Helldivers which I'm sure there weren't even remotely expecting.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Very well done. I'm really surprised how close it is aligned with the PS4. That felt like PlayStation firing on all cylinders. Pretty good to be right on its heels with a more expensive console considering the supply challenges early on.

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy performance when you think that almost all their studios have yet to release a truly PS5 only game. We still don't know what SMS, Guerrilla, ND, Bend etc are cooking for this generation and we are already half way into it's lifetime.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
This generation I'm not buying nearly as many games as before. 80€ for a game is preposterous, even with the widely available discounts on realease day that put most games at 60+€... still way too expensive.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The only negative thing about it is that it missed Sony's initial guidance (twice) which implies that they weren't expecting PS5 to peak until a few months later. In isolation the results are amazing.

And let's not forget the huge success of Helldivers which I'm sure there weren't even remotely expecting.
The second miss is pretty much rounding error. They pretty much hit their forecast. It's not even slight it's a fractional difference.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
More expensive plus for most people it is something they can afford considering the economy.
Surprised it is only 800k from missing its target.

Though I will be happy if that means we get another 8 year generation.
I do hope for another 8 year generation. The current one still feels like it's only now getting off the ground. Releasing mid-generation souped up consoles like the Pros does help in achieving that. I'll certainly be getting PS5 Pro day 1, just like I did for the PS4 Pro.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
On one hand this is really impressive give the price of the console, but at the same time you think it would be selling better given the decline in Xbox sales this gen.

still the console has a lot going for it still, like actually getting a proper new GTA game, something the PS4 never got. And the sales boost it will get if Sony ever decides to drop the price.

I think this generation will be a long one, I think PS5 easily outsells PS4. I think it's sales target should be a lot higher, but price issues is preventing that from happening.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The second miss is pretty much rounding error. They pretty much hit their forecast. It's not even slight it's a fractional difference.
I agree, but overall they missed their initial guidance by 4m units and that probably affected this quarter's performance. My main point is that although the quarter overall is great, it's obvious that in combination with Sony's announced shift in strategy (at least on the level of intentions for now), they weren't expecting the past fiscal year to unfold the way it did. The is nothing catastrophic about it though.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really good considering the major titles have been frankly quite sparse. In terms of library, hopefully PS5 has the opportunity for a PS3-like surge in the 2nd half of its life.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That's really good considering the major titles have been frankly quite sparse. In terms of library, hopefully PS5 has the opportunity for a PS3-like surge in the 2nd half of its life.
Idk how it works out that way for anyone anymore. Streaming services weren't anywhere near the time sink they are now back then. So much shit is competing for your time in a way that wasn't as intense in the late aughts.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
TBH it's the first playstation I don't feel like buying it, yet.

Wanted to buy it at launched but it was out of stock for like 2 years and the first party landscape after all these years isn't pretty great yet, being worse than the PS4 (which was already worse than PS3). I hope they take their time before launching a PS6.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
TBH it's the first playstation I don't feel like buying it, yet.

Wanted to buy it at launched but it was out of stock for like 2 years and the first party landscape after all these years isn't pretty great yet, being worse than the PS4 (which was already worse than PS3). I hope they take their time before launching a PS6.
The biggest thing holding me back is the price. I've been close to getting one though

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
How is PS5 Digital selling?

Cause I wonder, even if you drop Digital by 100 and the regular PS5 by 100, would that do much? Granted it would be an insane price cut, but you'd almost have to think they would need to drop the regular PS5 to $300 to make a big swing happen.

Didnt they cut the 2 versions in favor of the slim with the removable disk?

If I am not wrong, there should only be 1 version now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree, but overall they missed their initial guidance by 4m units and that probably affected this quarter's performance. My main point is that although the quarter overall is great, it's obvious that in combination with Sony's announced shift in strategy (at least on the level of intentions for now), they weren't expecting the past fiscal year to unfold the way it did. The is nothing catastrophic about it though.
Forecasts are meant to change, thats what a forecast is for Though, esp when component prices shot up, they probally were expecting to do a price cut (which they mentioned that the sales of PS5 were extremely close to PS4 with PS4 having a 100 dollar price cut) so instead of choosing to sell more units they pivoted to having more revenue and kept prices high. That's really all there is there for it. And we know even more thats the case based on Totoki talking about margins a while back so thats more than likely why their forecast was cut.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is having a good gen. PS4 was way cheaper and had some consistent bangers, and less focus on pc ports. For the PS5 to have less and stay on PS4 heels says a lot about the 5 and its potential. PS5 years 5 and 6 are prolly gonna set records for sie.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It's mostly keeping pace with the PS4 which suggest they haven't lost customers but also aren't meaningfully expanding their base either.

I never owned a PS4 but did get a PS5 shortly after launch - it's pretty good value for a gaming system, but some of the exclusives, other than God of War, GT7 and I guess a few others, have been disappointing.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
PS5 to PS4-
07e55f13-51f0-46e7-b807-854878f47a2a_text.gif
Next time it will be a further 1 million behind, so yeah, nope. This was probably THE chance they had to pass PS4, don't see it happening anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
the same thing could happen as last gen where PlayStation's studios just start firing on all cylinders in the 2nd half and then there's just this overwhelming number of quality games that pushes sales to new heights, but I think at the end of the day if this console clears 100-110m Sony will be pretty happy with where they stand going into next gen.