• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yes, GitHub didn't tell the full story. But it was the most tangible, real piece of evidence of how next-gen was looking that we ever got. And yet, because it wasn't as favourable to a certain console, you had a lot posters (some of whom are in this thread in fact) trying to discredit it at every turn. And no, I'm not talking about the people who just said it wasn't representative of the final hardware. I'm talking about the people that vehemently tried to deny that it had any relevancy whatsoever. It got to the point where if you dared to bring it up you were quickly shutdown. One mod went as far to threaten to ban people who brought it up. Another mockingly used it as a joke answer in one of the many polls.

But what was allowed and encouraged instead? Random insiders, who couldn't even prove they had access to next-gen specs, apparently. You dared to try and doubt someone like Kleegamefan and you better watch out. The guy that, at best, turned out to be massively misinformed; and at worst, turned out to be a pretty blatant liar, was apparently more believable than actual, real leaked numbers. Because no, he didn't just say they're both going to be double-digits. He claimed the PS5 was going to be even higher than XSX's 12TF. But at least he was an actual "verified" poster on this site. What was even worse were people completely refusing to believe GitHub had any relevancy, and instead desperately clinging to the likes of "Tommy Fisher", OsirisBlack and the 13TF+ rumours back at NeoGAF. One of whom has just recently got banned in this thread actually.

So yeah. Sorry, I know this is completely OT and a bit ranty, but as someone who was a part of the next-gen threads from the beginning, it's a little frustrating to see some of the posters who were there just slinking back into the background in threads like these, hoping that their crazy, and quite frankly in some cases, fanboyish behaviour, is quickly forgotten about.
GitHub didn't tell a new story, for that matter. We already had information indicating those CU counts and clock speeds from the Komachi and APISAK tweets. We had Gonzalo and Flute benchmarks outside of what GitHub had. You didn't need GitHub to come to those conclusions.

Moreover, between all of the leaks, claimed insiders and fantastical specs, absolutely 0 people claimed a clock as high as 2.23 GHz. That should be sobering to anyone who thinks they had the complete story going in.

GitHub became a flashpoint for both sides. On one extreme, you had a minority saying it had 0 relevance. On the other extreme, you had others crying vindication that it was 100% accurate when that was demonstrably false (and the other extreme was delusional). Now we've progressed to both sides pretending that the extremists on the other side are representative of the whole population. It's disingenuous and both sides and frankly tiring. Move on.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
Exactly. So we go by what Cerny says. Not someone with an obvious agenda trying to downplay PS5 specs says.

It isn't carte blanche to downplay PS5. The fact you're defending that practice says a lot.
Just remember that cerny like spencer is a figurehead for a corporation and will follow the company line on marketing and messaging. We really can't know how much of an advantage or game changer the SSD will be until it's in houses and under real world testing. I remember buying in to "power of the cloud" in 2013. Once bitten twice shy

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
GitHub didn't tell a new story, for that matter. We already had information indicating those CU counts and clock speeds from the Komachi and APISAK tweets. We had Gonzalo and Flute benchmarks outside of what GitHub had. You didn't need GitHub to come to those conclusions.
indeed, I was spamming 9.2tf far before github ;d

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that strange. Microsoft has had an official Most Valuable Professional (MVP) program on and off that was specifically designed to encourage community engagement, and it always attracted people who especially fond of Microsoft technology. Analysts that cover any company wind up being exposed to a lot of very positive ways of looking at things through their connections. It's normal, and as such it's worth being skeptical about the objectivity of anyone with close ties to a company. That's just being a smart consumer.
Wow. I am privileged to have conversed with quite a few MVPs in the next gen OTs.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
IGN must be spreading FUD too (12:30) the Dev even days Cerny pulled a fast one with the numbers. DF spreading FUD by saying it's either or both GPU and CPU can't be at max at the same time...man lots professional journalists spreading FUD apparently.

100% accurate OT7-12 was a wild ride

Until a game runs on PS5 and the gpu is measured to be running at 2Ghz flat, hell, even lower....how is it not FUD.

I thought the speculation on specs was over, guess not.
Just remember that cerny like spencer is a figurehead for a corporation and will follow the company line on marketing and messaging. We really can't know how much of an advantage or game changer the SSD will be until it's in houses and under real world testing. I remember buying in to "power of the cloud" in 2013. Once bitten twice shy
Biggest difference is "power of the cloud" never showed up. The SSD will be in there from day one.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
The guy literally just did the same thing as Brad Sams by using github as supposed proof that the "actual" clock is 2GHz. You're embarrassing yourself.
That guy is a dev. Ryan is just relaying what they said

true both of these multibillion dollar companies are selling a product and despite Cernys reveal being advertised as focused towards devs it was more marketing than anything else they focused on their strengths and try to downplay the gap that's marketing 101. That was likely originally targeted towards devs but the scope clearly changed and it wasn't detailed enough comparatively to other GDC talks I've seen.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
God damn does every PS5 tech thread have to turn into the same thing.
They have been 4 of them and all end up the same way .

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
A dev who has no access to a devkit. You're already picking and choosing.
It's pretty obvious that insiders have been picking and choosing for the last 18 months. We went from PS is "noticeably stronger" from moriarty to "ps5 is better than advertised and Sony isn't messaging correctly" from JS a few weeks ago. Even when the series x was revealed we still had "sources" saying ps5 was stronger and cheaper at the same time.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Until a game runs on PS5 and the gpu is measured to be running at 2Ghz flat, hell, even lower....how is it not FUD.

I thought the speculation on specs was over, guess not.

until we see both running actual games this whole variable clock thing will be a cloud over the PS5 imo. I am just saying people claiming people are paid shills and spreading FUD is inaccurate. There are legitimate questions being asked from multiple industry and non industry people. I will wait till games are shown before passing ultimate judgment on these plastic boxes. Also when it comes to tech I let the experts like John Alex and people I work with explain these things to me. (I'm in finance) work with money not micro arch lol.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn does every PS5 tech thread have to turn into the same thing.
They have been 4 of them and all end up the same way .
Well when certain folks bring the none sense it gets that way. Look at the "other thread" it's about half the post count. Idk maybe it's not too interesting in there, so they end up in here 🤷‍♂️

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what about your words though? It's a two-piece shame package, Aegon!
goddamit! i knew i missed something!
Brad followed it with this tweet...

great journalism.....lmfao

As a honda civic owner, im offended by that tweet. Hondas have done a great job incorporating the latest features in their cars for cheap. I've got keyless entry, a sunroof, apple car play, automatic breaks and lane change technology, and even a turbo boost that kicks in at 3000 rpm that increases the hp to 174 from 154. A full 20 horses. Thats like 2 tflops.

on a serious note, good god Brad. i bet doctor avatar is turning in his grave right now.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, GitHub didn't tell the full story. But it was the most tangible, real piece of evidence of how next-gen was looking that we ever got. And yet, because it wasn't as favourable to a certain console, you had a lot posters (some of whom are in this thread in fact) trying to discredit it at every turn. And no, I'm not talking about the people who just said it wasn't representative of the final hardware. I'm talking about the people that vehemently tried to deny that it had any relevancy whatsoever. It got to the point where if you dared to bring it up you were quickly shutdown. One mod went as far to threaten to ban people who brought it up. Another mockingly used it as a joke answer in one of the many polls.

But what was allowed and encouraged instead? Random insiders, who couldn't even prove they had access to next-gen specs, apparently. You dared to try and doubt someone like Kleegamefan and you better watch out. The guy that, at best, turned out to be massively misinformed; and at worst, turned out to be a pretty blatant liar, was apparently more believable than actual, real leaked numbers. Because no, he didn't just say they're both going to be double-digits. He claimed the PS5 was going to be even higher than XSX's 12TF. But at least he was an actual "verified" poster on this site. What was even worse were people completely refusing to believe GitHub had any relevancy, and instead desperately clinging to the likes of "Tommy Fisher", OsirisBlack and the 13TF+ rumours back at NeoGAF. One of whom has just recently got banned in this thread actually.

So yeah. Sorry, I know this is completely OT and a bit ranty, but as someone who was a part of the next-gen threads from the beginning, it's a little frustrating to see some of the posters who were there just slinking back into the background in threads like these, hoping that their crazy, and quite frankly in some cases, fanboyish behaviour, is quickly forgotten about.

This is the true way

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, people didn't have proof of anything when they attacked Reiner or ignored Matt's comments. They certainly weren't motivated by "tangible evidence" when certain posters kept calling Cerny a liar over HW RT support, were they? Did we also forget the random MisterXMedia-type tweets? And let's not pretend any of the regular posters here had any real knowledge or rational reason to disbelieve Klee's posts as he was making them.

Fact is, since the day those OTs were merged, there was very little room for actually valuable discussion. It was poorly veiled console wars from day one. So congrats for those who got it right, even though they clearly didn't, but maybe simmer down...

I'm sorry, but this is nothing like power of the cloud, even though some people clearly wish it was.
The same way you can't spin the CU difference and all that entails, you can't pretend that an SSD double the speed of the other machine is meaningless.

There's no bullshit this time. Who was the dev who said neither are stumbling out the gate this gen? Well, they're right. Neither MS nor Sony have made monumentally stupid design decisions. Certainly none you can figure out by looking at the spec sheet. Both machines are very capable with clear strengths and weaknesses for each decisions. Now, these might end up being over or underestimated in real-world performance, but it's not magic. The XSX will have better graphics, the PS5 will have faster IO.

And more importantly, neither is selling you snake oil this time. Power of the cloud was complete bullshit in 2013. There's nothing comparable to it this time. And that's great.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Presuming there's any value in the exercise, I drafted one that's actually to scale. The area of the squares below represents the published specifications as reflected in text on each box, with all the usual caveats about how these aren't guaranteed to reflect real-world performance. Since the silly exercise got started, though, it might as well be carried through. Series X in blue as the normalized reference, and PS5 in green to demonstrate visually how large / small these differences really are:

edJ4khl.png
Gmw3gSbJjSijLdCCwC5cGLEGMqwY3tiCEnA9DMveefbycGaSP-1_BiO3wW37WHm9zwfOkINzYvB8UX0_3uZHDYgy6eQE7Fzjc6BuLPMxiBwLIrpqarJmwDJoHGFyFuSIUSAd2W9bDkS_aKPNz7vU0fPqjSiSgKJa7hZVFCqr_AoTw_Hd86u1EgUSOweigecjklrhgC7Z33gRcNuvvW5q9Y11CDIzatlVGg5fTKF99agE0TCZdZDCAFWgEeDUYvoYOd292O-taQY40oUC4bxje6Wu7rWCeQpfJvUbWcaz3egG-NktjETNB7PsFJ38SoiWnZar8ziQ8htMPDjYMerSbPAZsF2F486_46DDpPdeQcYROFZuwR0Gnnn5tcwDJ7vPj93_d1XYXGsuSD69pIcvmtS_JEhwk0LmOMlOZhMJbCK0ykGZF17dI2BqdAOL9WPWY2u6CAD-hwtVCTdHEaqxKZIudsxctc9OQm9WHvk3ybgP7lqSNbmIlxwlMVjdlQmMB29lmeTn16OdblMAKODmIcdSIGFXWspTAPNfKLOHz85XiqyoUGdrVJftLIaQw1bS--b18TnAAD0PtaycpHy-wX4b_wEADOg6yFG5IP6QfYrcaBxB412nE8iaAJrTLA0i0NIYT0PJM56YCYVjxRJ-Ogt2UK-itgHl-swXvql-YqZE5A7GWcTlTEAYxDqgFumVjlS3LLcb5wktj1TkFN1ws-dM8p-m8CS858ocPGMAYjccrbomWr8rTJdo=w385-h297-no

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He is saying that Playstation fans in this thread are in denial about their console being weaker. We are driving away journalists like Brad Sams and Dictator by being fanboys in denial harassing respectable journalists.

He's right. I am ashamed of my deeds.

Truth is this suppose to be a tech thread so being a journalists don't mean much .
Much more grateful to the people that willing to share what they know about hardware and software .
Plus if we going by matt both systems will have there advantages and rest of the games will look mostly the same .

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He is saying that Playstation fans in this thread are in denial about their console being weaker. We are driving away journalists like Brad Sams and Dictator by being fanboys in denial harassing respectable journalists.

It's their cult-like delusion. This generation has the smallest gap in power between an Xbox and PlayStation.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Is this coordinated or why are so many xbox fans suddenly popping into this thread right now?
Did we get some juicy new info?

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Is this coordinated or why are so many xbox fans suddenly popping into this thread right now?
Did we get some juicy new info?
Nah it's been the same conversation since reveal. And all of it is based on who you believe.

So, isn't it high fucking time to bring back a beloved franchise which genre-wise lacks much competition atm, with fully upgraded graphics, sound and physics package? After all, PS5 ought to be able get quite close this in real time:

Took me a sec... fucking el oh el.

Man I could imagine the game looking that good if not better

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious that insiders have been picking and choosing for the last 18 months. We went from PS is "noticeably stronger" from moriarty to "ps5 is better than advertised and Sony isn't messaging correctly" from JS a few weeks ago. Even when the series x was revealed we still had "sources" saying ps5 was stronger and cheaper at the same time.
its curious what happened here. did the ps5 get a downgrade after e3? we know they changed the ram. did they also ditch a bigger apu?

i kinda feel bad for klee because one of the first things he leaked was that both consoles are more powerful than the 5700xt and are double digits in tflops. he was a 100% right on that. a couple of months later, he said the ps5 was more powerful and that came back to bite him. he wasnt the only one like you suggested. osiris got screwed by his sources too. were all devs lying about the ps5? i find that highly unlikely. its not like klee, andrew and colin are vague and nameless forum insiders who were trying to become forum celebrities. they had no reason to lie really.

i think there are two possibilities. either the ps5 chip got downgraded or this ssd and i/o stuff is the real deal and the ps5 is actually a monster because of all the crazy shit cerny has put in the i/o block to complement its SSD.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly though ?
Yeah some people here are crazy and should take a deep breath. When PS5 specs got unveiled, we got a bunch of people here getting mad and upset, quoting jason schreier, Matt and Klee to call them liars or fake. Heck, there's even someone in those threads using Klee's avatar with the words "FAKE" because they got carried away with their fanboy fantasies.

And there's people litterally going full console warring with other publications. There are people accusing DF of receiving checks and having conflicts of interests, trying to get a "gotcha" moments with the few ones that post here because they didn't proclaim the PS5 or SX is the second coming.

It's not just PS fans in this thread, but sheeesh, those console reveals dropped the level of discussions and the average IQ straight to the ground, if not under.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017

Klee undoubtedly turned out to be completely wrong about the differences, especially after claiming he had the "spec-sheets" for both.

The reason people started to believe him was because of him initially getting things right. He was the first to say both consoles would be RDNA-based and more powerful than the (then) spanking new Navi-based GPU's, even better than the RX 5700 XT. He was also the first to state that both consoles would have VRS (in other words, right about the Series X - To be seen about the PS5).

Him being a former journalist (as confirmed by the mods) did lend some credence to his story. Reiner echoing the same sentiments as well. I believed him because of the fact he got some things right (up until the actual reveal). He was nontheless wrong - Did he lie? It don't want to be that cynical. I would like to say misinformed - Not that he'd ever try and come back to explain himself.

I'm glad the speculating is over though (Well... Aside from discussions about SSD's and GPU's...).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Klee undoubtedly turned out to be completely wrong about the differences, especially after claiming he had the "spec-sheets" for both.

The reason people started to believe him was because of him initially getting things right. He was the first to say both consoles would be RDNA-based and more powerful than the (then) spanking new Navi-based GPU's, even better than the RX 5700 XT. He was also the first to state that both consoles would have VRS (in other words, right about the Series X - To be seen about the PS5).

Him being a former journalist (as confirmed by the mods) did lend some credence to his story. Reiner echoing the same sentiments as well. I believed him because of the fact he got some things right (up until the actual reveal). He was nontheless wrong - Did he lie? It don't want to be that cynical. I would like to say misinformed - Not that he'd ever try and come back to explain himself.

I'm glad the speculating is over though (Well... Aside from discussions about SSD's and GPU's...).

They said the difference would be minimal and both would be double digits. It seems accurate so far ?

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

Moreover, between all of the leaks, claimed insiders and fantastical specs, absolutely 0 people claimed a clock as high as 2.23 GHz. That should be sobering to anyone who thinks they had the complete story going in.

GitHub became a flashpoint for both sides. On one extreme, you had a minority saying it had 0 relevance. On the other extreme, you had others crying vindication that it was 100% accurate when that was demonstrably false (and the other extreme was delusional). Now we've progressed to both sides pretending that the extremists on the other side are representative of the whole population. It's disingenuous and both sides and frankly tiring. Move on.

Now THIS is accurate!

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
They said the difference would be minimal and both would be double digits. It seems accurate so far ?
Klee also said the difference in pure tflops would be about 7-10 % in slight favor of the PS5 (the difference between a X1 and a X1S). Again, the most consistent person around here, has been Matt. He has been completetly right. So he definitely has my trust, now more than ever.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Klee also said the difference in pure tflops would be about 7-10 % in slight favor of the PS5 (the difference between a X1 and a X1S). Again, the most consistent person around here, has been Matt. He has been completetly right. So he definitely has my trust, now more than ever.

Yep Matt has been right for years which is why people should know he is be on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.