yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to contact PS support to recover my PS+ account since the system wasn't sending password reset emails.

They needed the following information:

The PSN Account Online ID and email address
The Credit Card used to make purchases on the account
The serial number of the first console used to create or log into your account
Details of recent transactions made on the account
Email address used when the account was created
PayPal details (If applicable)

I never use CC on PSN, always used gift cards and who the fuck would have the original serial number of the console where the PS account was created on?! I created mine on a PS3.

They basically told me to fuck off and get back to them with all the information above.

Thankfully, I did manage to log in my account myself.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Serial number is bullshit, but the other looks normal? They need to make sure it's really your account.

Keep backup codes somewhere safe.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you never use your credit card with PSN, you can't provide the number. That ones easily doable (though I'd love them to ask me for the number I once provided before I switched to only buying PSN cards on Amazon and deleting my credit card on PSN ...that would be admitting they still have it saved somewhere).

But the SERIAL NUMBER of the original console? That was a PS3 fat in my case... which I would still have stored somewhere, hadn't it gone YLOD in ~2010.

Is OP really right, that they ask about that serial number?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That seems pretty normal for account recovery. With Apple for example you need similiar info and it can take ... I think the longest I saw was like 42 days?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
On one hand, in the age of digital libraries I am grateful it would be difficult for someone to steal over ten years of purchases from me by tricking Sony support in to giving them the keys.

On the other hand, who would have the serial number of the first console they ever used the account with? How would anyone ever have that?

Admittedly it is harder for yumms because they don't use a credit card on PSN, but I imagine there are lots of people like that due to the PS3 breach.

Oct 27, 2017
Serial number of the first console? Wow. My account was created on a fat PS3 that ylod on me and got ditched about a decade ago.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
On one hand, in the age of digital libraries I am grateful it would be difficult for someone to steal over ten years of purchases from me by tricking Sony support in to giving them the keys.

On the other hand, who would have the serial number of the first console they ever used the account with? How would anyone ever have that?

Admittedly it is harder for yumms because they don't use a credit card on PSN, but I imagine there are lots of people like that due to the PS3 breach.

Yeah the serial number bit is a bit extreme. Unless they would clearly say to write that down during account creation (I dont think they do).

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'm having the same issue having switched phone numbers recently and there not being able to complete 2FA. In the UK there are no CS agents available either by phone or chat window and you have to log in in order to file a support ticket, which is the whole problem I'm having in the first place. It really sucks.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why you always need to save these kind of details while you still have access to that information and the account - once you locked out it gets difficult to obtain some of the information.

Same way for some online and f2p games - where the CS is gonna ask alot of details information to get the recovery process going on.

It sucks - but thats the way to prevent from account being claimed by random persons that only got your most basic information.

Usually you can progress if 1-2 of the asked requirements isnt available and keep engaging, but they are gonna ask other stuff from you then. Just the easiest way for the companies to make sure that people dont use the account recovery unless absolutely neccsary and if they are legit.

Awadlx

Mar 15, 2020
Yeah I agree. I think they should hand over the account to anyone who asks for it.

The serial number is not a must requirement btw. If you are unable to satisfy any one question, you are expected to provide enough answers to the other questions to assure them the account is yours.

Last edited:

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I've long known about that serial number business.

If you created you account on your current PS4, back up that code now before you upgrade to a PS5 and sell it off.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
So is there anyway to look up the serial number of your first console on PSN while you have account access? Otherwise, I have no idea. I'm not even sure I know what it is? I borrowed a PS3 from a friend for a few months and that was probably the first console I had the PSN ID attached to.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need the serial of first console to recover the account. It's just one way to do so. You can also use a serial of a console that your account has been active on for awhile.

Also OP, do you really want account recovery to be easy? If it's easy for you, it's easy for a social hack.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017

Hold on, gonna grab my PSP from the drawer!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Serial number of the first console is so dumb, I registered mine on my friend's launch PS3... That thing is in a landfill somewhere now

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What of you don't have the serial number of the first console you used??

OP
OP
yumms

yumms

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need the serial of first console to recover the account. It's just one way to do so. You can also use a serial of a console that your account has been active on for awhile.
Nope, I told them I can provide the serial number of my PS5, that was last used to log in with the account.

It was not good enough.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so. Say if you were beating someone online and they decided to mess with your account, they wouldn't get far. These security parameters are needed

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Serial number is the outlier here, everything else seems par for the course. I guess I'll take a picture of my PS3 serial number just in case lol

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having the same issue having switched phone numbers recently and there not being able to complete 2FA. In the UK there are no CS agents available either by phone or chat window and you have to log in in order to file a support ticket, which is the whole problem I'm having in the first place. It really sucks.
I gave up and made a new account, I've had that account since the start of PS3 so it's a bit of a pisser to give it up but like you I enabled 2fa on a phone number I no longer have access to and when I read the need of a serial number the account was made it that just wasn't happening. Lost a fair bit of digital content but hey ho live and learn.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I had to contact PS support to recover my PS+ account since the system wasn't sending password reset emails.

They needed the following information:

The PSN Account Online ID and email address
The Credit Card used to make purchases on the account
Email address used when the account was created
PayPal details (If applicable)

I never use CC on PSN, always used gift cards and who the fuck would have the original serial number of the console where the PS account was created on?! I created mine on a PS3.

They basically told me to fuck off and get back to them with all the information above.

Thankfully, I did manage to log in my account myself.
They told you to provide as much information as you can to make sure thet you're the person who should be accessing the account. They didn't tell you to fuck off and provide every piece of information or else they'll give you the middle finger and you're shit out of luck forever, they want as much of it as you can provide and they'll do what they can given what you supply. That serial number one is a really good one in your favour - if you have it, it's highly unlikely a scammer would, if you don't no big deal.

If they make it too simple we'd all be losing our accounts all the time.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I gave up and made a new account, I've had that account since the start of PS3 so it's a bit of a pisser to give it up but like you I enabled 2fa on a phone number I no longer have access to and when I read the need of a serial number the account was made it that just wasn't happening. Lost a fair bit of digital content but hey ho live and learn.
I still have my launch PS4 if I can just bloody well get through to them!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I sold my PS3 in 2013!

That surely can't be right.

EDIT: and that was a PS3 Slim I sold in 2013 - I actually created my PSN account on an imported PS3 from Japan in 2006 (yes the FOMO was real) which I swapped out for a Euro unit in 2007.

OP
OP
yumms

yumms

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They told you to provide as much information as you can to make sure thet you're the person who should be accessing the account. They didn't tell you to fuck off and provide every piece of information or else they'll give you the middle finger and you're shit out of luck forever, they want as much of it as you can provide and they'll do what they can given what you supply. That serial number one is a really good one in your favour - if you have it, it's highly unlikely a scammer would, if you don't no big deal.

If they make it too simple we'd all be losing our accounts all the time.
Sorry, that is incorrect. I was asked to provide ALL the information.

Since I did not have the serial number or the CC info, they could do nothing.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the serial number is required. A friend of mine just had his account recovered and he did not provide a serial number. The account is as old as PSN.

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime I go to their customer support I hate sony even more. Worst customer support service ever.

Dis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading years ago on the other place about someone needing the serial number of their first console to hand over to them to get his account back when someone stole it and changed the password and email, the moment I read that I took a picture of my ps3 serial number and kept it with my account recovery codes and when I got lastpass I threw it in there too, I still have my launch ps3 as it never yellow lighted but I never wanted to risk not having the serial just in case, but they really should inform people upon account creation to write down a copy of their serial number for these kind of reasons the same way places like steam tell you to note down recovery codes for 2FA. But that's something that should have been done at ps3 launch by them and now a lot of people find out that they ask or it and are like wtf because this isn't a situation where the psn launched a year ago, it's been more than a decade ffs Sony.

Friends psn account got stolen as well but he was able to give them enough info other than the serial number to get it back, just took way too long considering someone else was using it for a good week or so.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I agree. I think they should hand over the account to anyone who asks for it.
No they should do their job. The serial number thing is nonsensical. Asking for CC info if OP never used one is garbage too. Either ask for different information, or if nothing else satisfies requirements, get on the problem with the password reset mails not arriving, instead of just telling OP to go away.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
The only time I've ever looked at a console serial number was when I was looking for a specific Xbox 360 Jasper that didn't have the RROD problem. I also don't have my PS3 from 10 years ago when I created my PSN account. I guess I better be careful to never need this recovery.

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
"The serial number of the first console used to create or log into your account
Email address used when the account was create"
I don't know any of this info on the top of my head, i would need to research a bit, and the serial of the first console would
Be straight up impossible. I think I created my account on a fat ps3 somewhere in 2011....

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just a combo of the information they need otherwise most of us are out of luck. My OG PS3 phat is in silicon heaven. God bless.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Too late at this point but they have finally enabled using an Authenticator instead of SMS (unreliable and unsecure). So if you get your account back enable 2FA again setup something like Authy and for godsakes keep the restore keys and PSN recovery codes stored somewhere safe.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the serial number requirement, which was already in place during the PS3 era.

Thankfully I kept mine and also kept records of all the other consoles and handhelds I used with my account.

I also kept old credit cards and receipts but I absolutely cannot remember the email address I used to create the account. I changed it since then.

So I guess I'm out of luck if I ever have to recover my account? Seems insane...

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Too late at this point but they have finally enabled using an Authenticator instead of SMS (unreliable and unsecure). So if you get your account back enable 2FA again setup something like Authy and for godsakes keep the restore keys and PSN recovery codes stored somewhere safe.
Will try! Apparently I can turn 2FA off in the console itself so will attempt that in a bit once I get it all reconnected.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Losing access to your outlook account is a whole level of bs. Especially if you forgot to update your phone number. Filed numerous forms on behalf of my wife all came back with not enough correct information. They want recent emails with exact subject lines what devices you used account on and everything. In the end we just gave up and got her a gmail account.

It sucks but least it's secure.

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've heard about the serial number thing before, which is why I made sure to write the serial number of my fat PS3 down and store it on my Google Drive.