• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ill rephrase this a different way. Have Sony talked about putting new games on PS Now going forward? Have they talked about putting their new first party games on their day one? Have they talked about putting new third party games on their day one? Have they talked about putting all PlayStation games on PS Now going forward?

These are real questions, and maybe they have talked about this stuff and Im not aware.

Sony haven't talked about a PS5 really either, but we know it's going to happen. I would assume this would happen around the generation change if it happens. Sony and MS are in different spots because of the difference in selling power of their exclusives at this point. I honestly wish we got numbers around Gamepass. It would help put things into perspective.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's obvious yeah, that if the next big inflection point in game distribution is streaming, Sony isn't going to sit on its hands and leave PSNow unchanged from where it is today, while their $20bn business gets encroached upon.

All I'm saying is, this is not a post-MS, post-Google reaction. Go back and watch Sony's 2013 PS Meeting vision. Go and read Andrew House's post-retirement interview. This has been on Sony's radar for years, and yes, I do think it's extremely obvious that PS Now we have today is not the ultimate incarnation of the vision they communicated there or potentially see for cloud distribution of games in the future. Go and look at the iteration on PSNow's offering - yes, it's obvious this is a service on a path that hasn't finished yet.
You're making a prediction. Youre saying its obvious, and then three sentences later saying "you think",

If Sony does do what Google and Microsoft are doing, that would be awesome, but as of this moment, we havent heard anything from Sony.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
God I love these posts. "MICROSOFT FIRST". Like Sony bought all the streaming patents, Gaikai and OnLive etc. 7 years ago only because they want to put PS3 games on the PS4/PC and that's it. Hilarious ;D
I mean acquiring Gaikai was interesting at the time but the execution has been more like dipping their toes in the water. MS has one of the largest cloud infrastructures in the world and now it's clear that gaming will be a big part of it. I'm not saying that to be a cheerleader cause we have no idea how this will turn out but there is a difference. MS is changing their entire philosophy of how games are distributed and Sony has a streaming service. It's a difference is magnitude.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Sony haven't talked about a PS5 really either, but we know it's going to happen. I would assume this would happen around the generation change if it happens. Sony and MS are in different spots because of the difference in selling power of their exclusives at this point. I honestly wish we got numbers around Gamepass. It would help put things into perspective.
There is a big difference between an inevitable PS5, and this. You know that. We have been hearing about PS5 for a few year by the way, though they don't mention it by its name.

Like i said. Awesome if it happens, but we dont know anything yet, nor a hint.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
You're making a prediction. Youre saying its obvious, and then three sentences later saying "you think",

If Sony does do what Google and Microsoft are doing, that would be awesome, but as of this moment, we havent heard anything from Sony.

Right now they are the only company of the ones mentioned that have an actual, working game streaming service that you can use right now. The rest is a matter of library.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a big difference between an inevitable PS5, and this. You know that. We have been hearing about PS5 for a few year by the way, though they don't mention it by its name.

Like i said. Awesome if it happens, but we dont know anything yet, nor a hint.

Your point is they haven't talked about it and MS have. Granted that is true, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm not sure how else to interpret Layden's comments here.

Okrim

Dec 14, 2017
Italy
Well, the path on the industry seems to be clear, we're slowly moving away from buying games and dedicated consoles and it was sony that paved the way with PlayStation plus.
With streaming this will become even more obvious, why shouldn't Sony offer Ps Now on Switch and Xbox one?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean acquiring Gaikai was interesting at the time but the execution has been more like dipping their toes in the water. MS has one of the largest cloud infrastructures in the world and now it's clear that gaming will be a big part of it. I'm not saying that to be a cheerleader cause we have no idea how this will turn out but there is a difference. MS is changing their entire philosophy of how games are distributed and Sony has a streaming service. It's a difference is magnitude.
Sony bought all that and are working on it, because they are prepping for a future where stuff like this is maybe needed. PS Now is doing what it should do now. MS is doing what it's doing ("changing their entire philosophy") because we both saw what happened to them this gen. And they knew they had to do/change something. Yes, it's a "difference in magnitude" becaue they had to do it.
Your point is they haven't talked about it and MS have. Granted that is true, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm not sure how else to interpret Layden's comments here.
Interpret it as "When it's time, we will be ready. We know it will happen.... in the future. Far future."

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You're making a prediction. Youre saying its obvious, and then three sentences later saying "you think

Yeah, I'm afraid I don't see the conflict. I'm allowed to think something will 'obviously' happen given another set of circumstances. Of course it's just a prediction, of course I might be wrong.

For the record, I didn't predict that. I think each will have slightly different approaches to this. Here are my predictions:

- PSNow will come to an increasing set of devices
- PSNow will come to more and more regions/countries
- The content mix on PSNow will change (improve) and will come to include increasingly recent releases. (That doesn't mean all 1P games day one btw!)

And I'll happily say that I think this is an obvious path of evolution for the service based on how it's been changing and how the market's going :P Sorry!

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is a big part of gamings future. Not the only path but at least for the majority it will be like with netflix today. You can buy movies but more and more people stream them.

Streaming technology will get better and better and in a few years most won't give a fuck about dedicated hardware anymore.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
[/QUOTE]

So what do you think PS Now will be next generation? Do you think they will offer all PS5 games on PS Now including third and first party day one?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming tech has a hard limit with the laws of physics. Whichever company realizes this and focuses on it as a supplement and not a main part of gaming will end up on top.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you think PS Now will be next generation? Do you think they will offer all PS5 games on PS Now including third and first party day one?

First party? Not sure. Like I said, I think eating the cost of 10 million+ copies of games such as Spider-Man and God of War would be foolish. But I also understand that makes the service less tenable. I could see all third party games though, similar to how the digital versions of 99% games are on the Xbox and PlayStation stores.

Oct 27, 2017
So, what Microsoft has been saying for years.

Sounds like Sony is finally seeing the writing on the wall, but that they have no clear direction and the whole company is not even on board yet.
Sony was the first one seeing this since the start of this gen. They have bought Onlive and made PS Now (which is available right now, unlike the other companies).

If anything, they have had directions years ago on what they should do.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
So, consoles are doomed? I would expect another full generation before we get to a point where fidelity and ease of access converge to make consoles the niche and streaming the majority.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You know, since it's on topic...

If brand exclusivity or console exclusivity goes away, I'm going to be a little miffed, not gonna lie :/

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm afraid I don't see the conflict. I'm allowed to think something will 'obviously' happen given another set of circumstances. Of course it's just a prediction, of course I might be wrong.

For the record, I didn't predict that. I think each will have slightly different approaches to this. Here are my predictions:

- PSNow will come to an increasing set of devices
- PSNow will come to more and more regions/countries
- The content mix on PSNow will change (improve) and will come to include increasingly recent releases. (That doesn't mean all 1P games day one btw!)

And I'll happily say that I think this is an obvious path of evolution for the service based on how it's been changing and how the market's going :P Sorry!

There isnt much conflict here. You threw shade saying it was obvious, and people were just being short-sighted, so I wanted to know if you actually knew something I didnt.

Im fine if you think something. Im not really sure what to expect from PSNow as of this moment, and I dont know what they will do with it going forward. For me, Ill wait and see. We do however know Microsoft's plans, and we will see Google's in a few days probably.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I vaguely remember a sony exec saying something similar around 5 years ago and it was quoted on the old forum. Like this is obvious with their psnow service since the ps3 days. I don't get some of the comments here.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Sure, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro provide what, of course, we think is the best gaming experience, but the other consoles out there, be it Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X, or tablets, or phones — there are great experiences across all these.
Where is Xbox One, lol.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
2009: Gaikai/OnLive (proof of concept)
2019: PS Now/Geforce Now/soon to be Google and MS (niche for most people, high latency, data caps, price, image quality not 1:1 with dedicated machines)
2029: Probably cheap, maaaaybe close to 1:1 experience

In terms of where everything entertainment is headed, everything becomes a service, a subscription, not just games, games are just last to make the transition.

That'd be sweet, even if they required people to take out a 12 month subscription for it, you know Sony 1P is gonna deliver. Pay $100-120 and download the games for an entire year, that's how you make me transition from physical games to digital, after a year I'll double dip and get the game on sale. I'm not really interested in paying $60 for a digital license.

May 17, 2018
Maybe I'm just too traditional, but, all this streaming talk is so boring to me. It just feels like people are talking about this like it's a necessity, rather than being an exciting new venture for games.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Of course not.

Who will be offering all third and first party console games on their single-payment all-you-can-eat streaming sub next gen? I don't think that's proposed by anyone.

My predictions are above. The recency of the content on PSNow will continue to improve, as it has been in the last year or so. I think by PS5's release there will be a lot more PS4 content in the catalog, including more of Sony's 1P hits. I think PS5 content will be added to the catalog sooner than PS4 content was added into the PSNow catalog this gen.

If you're talking about remote playing any unit-purchased PS4 or PS5 game, outside of the Now catalog, through Sony's infrastructure rather than off your own console, then I think it's a possibility. I think that's actually a less ambitious play than the play for the 'Netflix' model, but it would be a nice value-add for PSNow, sure. I'm more hesitant to predict the likelihood of that because I think Sony is focused on the Netflix-sub model for now, but given Sony's interest in Remote Play anything's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.