• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not really that interested in a PS1 classics emulator. I feel like most of the worthwhile games on the system have been ported over, remade, or improved elsewhere. Unlike the NES/SNES which are 2D games which haven't really been remastered.

Also my SNES has been collecting dust since I got it. I just prefer to play retro games on the PC.

What would convince me to buy it is if most of the games on there are multiplayer like CTR.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one game tha could get me to buy this was Ape Escape. Looking a the controllers, that's clearly not gonna happen.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
People in here going 'I don't want to pay that much for PSOne games.' Well, you're not just getting PSOne games, you're getting an amazing piece of hardware and two controllers. Also, for $99 US you get 20 PSOne games. That's $5 a pop. Someone do the math and tell me how much the final list (once it's announced) can be purchased for on PS Network, and whether Sony will send you a cute hardware in the mail if you buy all 20 digitally.

I'd take the 20 digital titles over some box that will take space on my set up.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I know Sony is completely within their rights to do this, but man, it continues to amuse me with their tendency to keep cheating off of Nintendo's notes. Motion control in the Sixaxis, Playstation Move, PSASBR, and now this.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's cool, but also pretty pointless besides the novelty factor. It'll probably print money, so I guess it's a smart move.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'll get it since the PS1 Is my favorite PS console ever. But I'm very disappointed at the lack of dual analogs because that means one of my top 3 PS1 games, Ape Escape, won't be included.

Oct 27, 2017
Did any one notice that there is no AC adapter included? It's a note in the post on the PlayStation blog.

I don't have a great deal of affection for the old girl, but it is pretty cute. Too bad most of my PS1 faves aren't likely to be included.

I'll have to get my Tail of the Sun somewhere else.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is hackable as the NES/SNES. All I want to do is to replay Megaman Legends and Brave Fencer Musashi.

Oct 27, 2017
The Playstation was probably my favorite console, but at just 20 games and given the size of its catalog there's a good chance most of my favorites won't be on it. Unless it has a sizeable hard drive and can connect to PSN, I'm probably going to have to pass.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Love the PSOne but I think I'll stick with my Vita. The only thing that would get my attention would be an option for perspective correction.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Whoa! Sony finally getting into the classic console line that Nintendo has gotten into lately. Of course knew Tekken 3 and Final Fantasy 7 were gonna make it, but cool to see Jumping Flash on there. Makes me wonder if Crash, Spyro, Ape Escape, Medieval and/or Tomba make the cut. Maybe not Crash and Spyro actually because those games are getting remastered to current systems (Crash Team Racing might have a shot though).
MediEvil is also getting a remake.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Not ambitious enough to pick up my interest honestly.
They basically copied the Nintendo formula with NES and SNES mini and given their sales success it's understandable but the limitations are too big for me.
Only 20 games with no possibility to install more games. They should have provided the option to download the classics already available on the store and put them on an optional microSD card. Maybe there were some publishing issues but they could have been sorted out.
No HD rendering option (with the obvious disclaimer that it might not work perfectly depending on the particular game) is disappointing as well since these games have aged a lot and they're not even supposed to be played on a small screen.
No Dualshock but original controller is just an other way to cut costs.
I'm interested to know about the rest of the titles but right now I don't think I'll buy this console.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like no ape escape with that controller but day 1. Hope Sony make enough of these unlike Nintendo.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I await for the rest of the lineup in anticipation, but 20 games seems such a small amount considering the size of the library and that there would be no way to add to it (legally as no doubt it will be hacked).

No analogue controller is annoying.
Still waiting for Colony Wars and hopefully Gran Tourismo ....

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get WCW vs the world?

I actually wonder how much the issue of licensing is going to popup with this. Lots of licensed content was a big thing with this generation. It makes me wonder if something like Gran Turismo will even make it considering the licensing involved. Music, cars, courses, sponsors etc. Then in the case of the game you mentioned there's an entirely separate issue, which is that the game includes Benoit.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
parasite-eve.jpg

plz

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I almost feel like with the amount of games and the lack of analog means a second PS1 classic in the future that looks like the mini and has a different selection of games might happen.

$100 is steep, at least with first impressions and not knowing exactly which 20 games it will have.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is kinda cool. But not listing the other 15 games makes it hard to pre-order. literally a leap of faith of you'll like it or not. That and why are they not dualshocks? RIP playing ape escape on this.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
One DualShock controller would've been much better than two gamepads. They aren't even wireless.

Those games will look bad on HDTVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.