Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
All the Twisted Metal games on PlayStation were rated T. It wasn't until the PlayStation 2 they got a M rating.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I really hope they focus on multiplayer titles here. There's only 20 games, I'd hope the vast majority are great two player games and not a bunch of .. well.. crappy one and done single player games.

edit: I'm a sucker. Went ahead and ordered one.

Now wracking my brain trying to think of the two player games I enjoyed back in the day.. not coming up with much off the top of my head.. It's really been ages since I've thought much about psone.

Here's my wishlist:

Bushido Blade 2
Bust a Groove
Bust a Move
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Dead or Alive
Herc's Adventures
Jetmoto 2
Resident Evil 2
Rogue Trip
Silent Hill
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tony Hawk
Twisted Metal 2
Umjammer Lammy

Really trying to avoid filling this up with single player games.
Looks like I need to take a trip down memory lane, look at a list of psone releases.

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck I almost forgot about Destruction Derby. Man there were a lot of good racing games on there.

Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of SFA3 on these lists, but if i can, id love to see Street Fighter EX 1 or 2 instead. After all, they are the exclusive PS games.

I mean, if Tekken 3 had a snowballs chance, why not EX series?

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it has c12 the resistance. And Vagrant Story. Ff tactics can do one. Symphony of the night would also be great. GT would be nice but doubtful. RE directors cut too. Id also take gpolice or future cop lapd.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
It's a crying shame that the NA and EU releases will have different games on. Especially cos the EU games will be worse.

Are we never gonna get to play Final Fantasy Tactics over here? :(

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of love for Colony Wars and G-Police is disturbing.

I still remember when Sony pushed the release of the two games and F1 Championship Edition with a never before seen marketing campaign.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As of now I have no intention of buying this because I will have my PS3 hooked up for PSOne games. There is one game, however, that was never available on PSN and I cannot find it reasonably priced anywhere.

I will buy this if Legend of Legaia is on it. That's it.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Let's look at their track record...
- PS1 games on PS3: 50hz with a few exceptions like RE2 and RE3 being the NTSC version
- PS2 Classics on PS3: PAL versions so 50hz unless the game had a 60hz mode.

I don't hold out hope for these at all. Bet they're 50hz games as they'll have EFIGS support too.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I can see them being dumb enough to do this to be honest.
Yeah me too.

And the PR excuse will be that there are probably more old EU PS1 fans that will think NTSC versions runs too fast than that PAL versions runs too slow. :P

Personally I only had like 10 PAL versions back then, beng a framerate nerd and all that I imported basically everything from the US when learning about the 25fps/30fps difference.
PAL versions on the Classic would make it completely useless for me.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think TM2 is a lock.
Maybe for North America. If so I think it's one of the games that will be most certain to change between regions, since Twisted Metal as a series always did badly in Europe.

Tekken 3 was one of the highest-selling games on the PlayStation. It's fondly remembered by millions of people.

The EX games, not so much.

And going with 50hz isos would be product suicide in this day and age.
Unfortunately not. I'm hoping for 60Hz versions but let's not kid ourselves, we're a minority. General awareness of the downsides of 50Hz versus 60Hz is minimal (and probably declining since it's generally not an issue with modern games). For the European release, if Sony put out a box that's packed with PAL versions of games running letterboxed at 50Hz, it'll still sell well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately not. I'm hoping for 60Hz versions but let's not kid ourselves, we're a minority. General awareness of the downsides of 50Hz versus 60Hz is minimal (and probably declining since it's generally not an issue with modern games). For the European release, if Sony put out a box that's packed with PAL versions of games running letterboxed at 50Hz, it'll still sell well.
Yup, back in the days there were websites focusing entirely on showing the difference between PAL and NTSC on every release, this held on up to PS3 launched with system level PAL60. The PS1 and PS2 (most of it's life) were awful for EU gamers with, iirc, 17% slower games and a screen squished together so wheels on cars were oval shaped. PS2 got lots of PAL60 games later though, but the first few years many of us were angry at Sony for not pushing for PAL60 to be used like Sega did on DC. Yet, the console became a monster hit worldwide. And so will the Classic even with 50hz everywhere. Today kids barely know what a 50hz screen update means.

HotPhase

Registered an alt account
Sep 19, 2018
I see a lot of SFA3 on these lists, but if i can, id love to see Street Fighter EX 1 or 2 instead. After all, they are the exclusive PS games.

Except that the EX series has licensed characters.

The PS1 version of Tekken 3 only had one licensed character while the EX series has many by Arika.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony don't go with 50hz for this in Europe, but at the same time... Considering how Sony still release PSN classics as 50Hz I'm not feeling positive.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's look at their track record...
- PS1 games on PS3: 50hz with a few exceptions like RE2 and RE3 being the NTSC version
- PS2 Classics on PS3: PAL versions so 50hz unless the game had a 60hz mode.

I don't hold out hope for these at all. Bet they're 50hz games as they'll have EFIGS support too.

And PS2 on PS4 are PAL versions running at 50hz with repeating frames.

Caveat emptor, wait for confirmation.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized something. If the controllers don't have rumble (and I strongly suspect they cheaped out and didn't include it for the same reason they didn't do analog sticks), that immediately rules out Metal Gear Solid from being included. Didn't that game require it? The famous scene with Mantis shaking the controller.

If that game isn't included this thing is a hard fail.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized something. If the controllers don't have rumble (and I strongly suspect they cheaped out and didn't include it for the same reason they didn't do analog sticks), that immediately rules out Metal Gear Solid from being included. Didn't that game require it? The famous scene with Mantis shaking the controller.

The controllers are almost certainly going to be functionally identical to the original PlayStation controllers, so no rumble.

That's not going to stop MGS being included though. People played it on the original PlayStation without rumble, and on PSP, and on Vita, and on PS3 with Sixaxis. Rumble's not a mandatory part of the game.

Oct 25, 2017

MGS doesn't require a dual shock

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I know this has been covered (haven't been able to read through the whole thread) but this would have to include Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Destruction Derby, Wipeout, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. for it to be a PS1 Classic. I get licensing issues though.

What sports games could be on here? Aside from EA's stuff and Konami's ISS Pro Evo, I'm not sure what sports games would get some representation.

Patrick S.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'll have to buy three of them because of the "regional tailoring. I hope there'll be a way to load more games onto this thing. That'd be paradise.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controllers are almost certainly going to be functionally identical to the original PlayStation controllers, so no rumble.

That's not going to stop MGS being included though. People played it on the original PlayStation without rumble, and on PSP, and on Vita, and on PS3 with Sixaxis. Rumble's not a mandatory part of the game.

MGS doesn't require a dual shock
Yeah, I forgot it wasn't required. I still think playing games like MGS without Rumble is pretty lame and I cannot believe they didn't include it, especially with the $100 price point.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Was this ever available on Amazon DE? I can find the listing but it's unavailable at the moment.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Yup, back in the days there were websites focusing entirely on showing the difference between PAL and NTSC on every release, this held on up to PS3 launched with system level PAL60. The PS1 and PS2 (most of it's life) were awful for EU gamers with, iirc, 17% slower games and a screen squished together so wheels on cars were oval shaped. PS2 got lots of PAL60 games later though, but the first few years many of us were angry at Sony for not pushing for PAL60 to be used like Sega did on DC. Yet, the console became a monster hit worldwide. And so will the Classic even with 50hz everywhere. Today kids barely know what a 50hz screen update means.

Crazily the PAL PS3 doesn't support 60hz on an SD connection, which given that it only came with composite cables + HDTV proliferation wasn't universal means a lot of folks would've still played PS3 in 50 here

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I know this has been covered (haven't been able to read through the whole thread) but this would have to include Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Destruction Derby, Wipeout, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. for it to be a PS1 Classic. I get licensing issues though.

What sports games could be on here? Aside from EA's stuff and Konami's ISS Pro Evo, I'm not sure what sports games would get some representation.
Most of EA's games are licensed and wouldn't be possible. The Konami games have fewer problems in that regard, though if I remember correctly they picked up some licenses as the series progressed on PlayStation.

Sports games without licensing issues would include things like Cool Boarders, International Track & Field and Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf). Maybe Smash Court 2 in Japan (the EU version has an Anna Kournikova license plastered on and there's no NA version).

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to Nintendo classics system, the problem with Sony PS1 is that a lot of their classics game came from third party compared to Nintendo's first party of NES and SNES. This might be some of the reasons why it's only 20 games due to the amount of licences that needs to be paid.

I only see one game per franchise. So I understand people wanting Final Fantasy 8 and 9, but 7 is the most iconic and was one of the reasons why PS1 was a huge hit.

Other than needing Metal Gear Solid, I really don't know what Sony going to do here. I'm excited to see and I hope they passed my expectations.

Edit: Forgot about Tomb Raider games.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Regional tailoring sounds interesting. So Japan, US and Europe may have completely different line-ups of games.

My wishlist for remaining 15 games on PS Classic:

Metal Gear Solid
Crash Team Racing
Grand Theft Auto 1
Medal of Honor
Tomb Raider 2 (or Tomb Raider IV)
Suikoden II
Monkey Magic
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Parasite Eve
Silent Hill
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Vagrant Story
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Gran Turismo 2
Digimon World (or Digimon World 3)

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Crazily, the PS3 doesn't support 60hz on an SD connection

I don't know about the PAL PS3, but for the first couple of years I had my NTSC PS3 hooked up to a CRT via SCART and it was able to display PS1 and PS2 games no problem.

edit: It seems this is a PAL PS3 issue, which isn't surprising. Sony cut a lot of corners with the PAL model.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I don't know about the PAL PS3, but for the first couple of years I had my NTSC PS3 hooked up to a CRT via SCART and it was able to display PS1 and PS2 games no problem.

edit: It seems this is a PAL PS3 issue, which isn't surprising. Sony cut a lot of corners with the PAL model.

Ah yeah my bad should've clarified, of course was on PAL systems only. Was disappointed as I wanted to try US PSN PS1 games on an SDTV with it, though apparently they display in 480i instead of the preferred 240p anyway. And aye on cost cutting between that and removal of PS2 hardware back compat

Can we have Fighting Force, please.

EDIT: are these games gonna look 'orrible on today's screens?

I think there's a good chance they'll render with a higher internal resolution, though we don't know for sure. If they got to 720p that'd look pretty nice. If not then mileage may vary on how presentable 240p 3D is on a modern display, may be preferred by some if they have scanline or smoothing options

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Regional tailoring sounds interesting. So Japan, US and Europe may have completely different line-ups of games.

My wishlist for remaining 15 games on PS Classic:

Metal Gear Solid
Crash Team Racing
Grand Theft Auto 1
Medal of Honor
Tomb Raider 2 (or Tomb Raider IV)
Suikoden II
Monkey Magic
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Parasite Eve
Silent Hill
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Vagrant Story
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Gran Turismo 2
Digimon World (or Digimon World 3)
That's a nice list, would take away Monkey Magic and change it with Syphon Filter 1 or 2 though

Status
Not open for further replies.