Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I bet the console "supports" dual shock. i.e. You could potentially hook up a DS4 or maybe OG Dual Shock with USB adapter and it would work. This would be handy/great if and when it's hacked.

So, chances are this is a Vita TV chipset?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I just spent 80 on a snes classic. I don't think 99 is a horrendous price. The game selection isn't amazing though

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Was this ever available on Amazon DE? I can find the listing but it's unavailable at the moment.

Couldn't find it there either, ordered through spielegrotte eventually.

Do we know when they'll announce the full list of games? Why would they want to keep this a secret? Pretty sure this hurts preorders.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I bet the console "supports" dual shock. i.e. You could potentially hook up a DS4 or maybe OG Dual Shock with USB adapter and it would work. This would be handy/great if and when it's hacked.

Ah man, hopefully they tweak image quality if so as PS1 games look pretty shoddy on there. This MyLifeinGaming video at 15:25 shows them looking much blurrier on PSTV than other methods.

Also would lead to tinfoil hatting of this seeming like an effort to repackage + move unsold PSTVs :p

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018

Close to zero for both: using Vita hardware would cost Sony more, and the only potential benefit I can think of is the ability to include P4G.

Same for the controller matter: the device already ships with the amount of controllers you need, and saving dual-shock for next year's revision with new games makes more sense. Remember that unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't have a wealth of retro consoles to fall back upon. I doubt they'll want to go for a PSP box after this either, or god forbid a second Vita box.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I forgot it wasn't required. I still think playing games like MGS without Rumble is pretty lame and I cannot believe they didn't include it, especially with the $100 price point.
MGS still has one of the best implementations of controller rumble I've experienced even 20 years later. The violent heart attack giving way to a slower and eventually stopped heartbeat, the whup-whup-whup of a helicopter's propeller, and of course Psycho Mantis...

Nowadays, it seems like only a tiny percentage of Switch titles are the only games bothering to do anything with rumble besides just some weak buzzing when you shoot or get hit.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have Fighting Force, please.

EDIT: are these games gonna look 'orrible on today's screens?
I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Fighting Force make an appearance so that beat-em-up games have some kind of representation.

At least some of the games are likely to look poor on a modern screen. There's really not a whole lot that can be done with, say, FFVII's backgrounds and pre-rendered movies.

Unless they gave millions of PS TV chipsets handing around for years it seems more likely to be a mobile chipset. A PS TV chipset would only half-explain the 720p limitation as well, since PS TV could output 1080i.

Couldn't find it there either, ordered through spielegrotte eventually.

Do we know when they'll announce the full list of games? Why would they want to keep this a secret? Pretty sure this hurts preorders.
One of the more likely explanations is that they'll get another round of publicity when they reveal the full list of games. You might think it hurts pre-orders but sites don't appear to be having a problem selling what they've been allocated so far.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
The presence of Chrono Cross on this machine will pretty much be the decision maker for me. If it's on, I'm in.

It absolutely should be on. It is one of the highest rated PS1 games and isn't a licensing issue as far as I know.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
How does licensing work with this? Should we only expect games Sony held the publishing rights for? Does sind buy publication rights for old games for this?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up.. Is this thing not even confirmed to run games in HD? I guess I just assumed it would..
It outputs 720p. There's no clear description of how things get rendered internally. Probably expect original resolutions since what Sony have done on every other platform that emulates PSOne.

How does licensing work with this? Should we only expect games Sony held the publishing rights for? Does sind buy publication rights for old games for this?
It'll work like the Nintendo machines. Sony will have negotiated with publishers to include their old games (e.g. Tekken 3). It won't only be Sony games. Some licensing issues won't have been solvable though, so big names will be missing (e.g. Madden, FIFA, Gran Turismo, Tony Hawk).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmm, my plan is to leave it in the box a few days and let Robin64 and the like take a crack at it, if it is moddable I'll pop it open, if not I'll return it, easy as that( I still have a collection of 20 or so ps1 games lying around I'd love to put on it)

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to Nintendo classics system, the problem with Sony PS1 is that a lot of their classics game came from third party compared to Nintendo's first party of NES and SNES. This might be some of the reasons why it's only 20 games due to the amount of licences that needs to be paid.

I only see one game per franchise. So I understand people wanting Final Fantasy 8 and 9, but 7 is the most iconic and was one of the reasons why PS1 was a huge hit.

Other than needing Metal Gear Solid, I really don't know what Sony going to do here. I'm excited to see and I hope they passed my expectations.

Edit: Forgot about Tomb Raider games.
The reason it's 20 games is because Ps1 games are larger and they want to stick to as little cheap flash memory as possible. 8 or 16GB probably

Have we got any info regarding the total storage space in this thing ? FF7 (xxx), Jumping Flash (246mb), RR4 (348mb), Tekken 3 (448mb) and Wild Arms (218mb) as 7zip compressed we are at 1.2gb. I will guess that 3 x FF7 Discs will get to 2gb... add another 15 games ?

32gb internal storage ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Thoughts:

1. This makes me even more mad about Sony's backwards compatibility stance.

2. 20 games isn't enough.

3. There's no way they put the games I really want on this (Einhander, Dodonpachi, RType Delta...)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It should be like 40 or 50 games. I just don't know how they will keep it to 20. I guess my hope of medievil 2 is pretty unlikely.
People keep repeating this but it's not true.
These retro consoles only need the most popular and iconic games to be there (usually one per franchise).

Licensing issues aside, you can cover all the bases with the most popular PS1 games (of course there won't be any great PS1 game ever made on there but it's not the point of these retro consoles):

Third-Parties:
Ridge Racer Type 4, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil (2), Tomb Raider (1 or 2), Tekken (3), Metal Gear Solid, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bandicoot (1 or 2 or 3), Spyro, Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Sony for International markets:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Jet Moto (1 or 2), Cool Boarders (3 or 2), Syphon Filter, MediEvil, Wipeout, Twisted Metal (2), Gran Turismo (1 or 2), maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG)

Sony for Japan:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Everybody's Golf (1), Intelligent Qube, Arc the Lad, Parappa the Rapper, Devil Dice, Doko Demo Issyo, Gran Turismo, maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG), Ape escape if it was possible (but alas no dualshock)

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
I know it's not going to happen, but if Silent Bomber ended up on the Classic, I'd be a very happy person. Also, let's get some Nightmare Creatures on that bad boy.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Ah yeah my bad should've clarified, of course was on PAL systems only. Was disappointed as I wanted to try US PSN PS1 games on an SDTV with it, though apparently they display in 480i instead of the preferred 240p anyway. And aye on cost cutting between that and removal of PS2 hardware back compat

I think there's a good chance they'll render with a higher internal resolution, though we don't know for sure. If they got to 720p that'd look pretty nice. If not then mileage may vary on how presentable 240p 3D is on a modern display, may be preferred by some if they have scanline or smoothing options

It is 480p and 720p.

If you have a PSP and the component cable or s-video cable, you can connect it to a SDTV and select "interlaced" on the PSP to output both 480i and 240p for all PSOne titles.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
The presence of Chrono Cross on this machine will pretty much be the decision maker for me. If it's on, I'm in.

It absolutely should be on. It is one of the highest rated PS1 games and isn't a licensing issue as far as I know.
That's one of the games I presume will be on the US version but not on the UK version. Sucks if so. No way I'm importing one though, unless someone on here wants to do a swap, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
People keep repeating this but it's not true.
These retro consoles only need the most popular and iconic games to be there (usually one per franchise).

Licensing issues aside, you can cover all the bases with the most popular PS1 games (of course there won't be any great PS1 game ever made on there but it's not the point of these retro consoles):

Third-Parties:
Ridge Racer Type 4, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil (2), Tomb Raider (1 or 2), Tekken (3), Metal Gear Solid, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bandicoot (1 or 2 or 3), Spyro, Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Sony for International markets:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Jet Moto (1 or 2), Cool Boarders (3 or 2), Syphon Filter, MediEvil, Wipeout, Twisted Metal (2), Gran Turismo (1 or 2), maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG)

Sony for Japan:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Everybody's Golf (1), Intelligent Qube, Arc the Lad, Parappa the Rapper, Devil Dice, Doko Demo Issyo, Gran Turismo, maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG), Ape escape if it was possible (but alas no dualshock)
giphy.gif

Of course that's the point. To the company it's money.. But to the consumers it's celebrating the console, nostalgia and the legacy.. The PS1 didn't just have an incredible library of amazing games. It also had a huge breadth of genres with a lot of 2d, 3d and a mixture in between as developers experimented in the new dimension. Despite some aging due to early 3d, a lot of them still holds up today in every department once you adjust a bit. The library also means that for 10 people, while there might be some games that cross, a lot of people will have had completely different libraries.

I just don't see how you can fully cover your bases with the ps1 in just 20 games. But that's just my opinion. I figured they might sell "memory cards" which would expand the library further, but it seems like that's not the case.

Anyways, I guess I see your point, but I don't really agree with it. At least, not for this console.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm still confused about how HD these are. Do the games look like they're SD blurred up for an HD tv, or are they in HD the same way an emulated PSone game on a PC would be crisp and clear?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still confused about how HD these are. Do the games look like they're SD blurred up for an HD tv, or are they in HD the same way an emulated PSone game on a PC would be crisp and clear?
Looks like the first, unfortunately. It's a shame they didn't provide hardware that could at least double the resolution. No shame in making the games look more like you remembered on your old phat tv, than how they actually look on a modern led.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will probably be upscaled from their original native resolution. It'll cost less that way. At best they will natively render at 480p like Nintendo's N64 emulation tends to do.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Of course that's the point. To the company it's money.. But to the consumers it's celebrating the console, nostalgia and the legacy.. The PS1 didn't just have an incredible library of amazing games. It also had a huge breadth of genres with a lot of 2d, 3d and a mixture in between as developers experimented in the new dimension. Despite some aging due to early 3d, a lot of them still holds up today in every department once you adjust a bit. The library also means that for 10 people, while there might be some games that cross, a lot of people will have had completely different libraries.

I just don't see how you can fully cover your bases with the ps1 in just 20 games. But that's just my opinion. I figured they might sell "memory cards" which would expand the library further, but it seems like that's not the case.

Anyways, I guess I see your point, but I don't really agree with it. At least, not for this console.
lol, meant to write "every" instead of "any".

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see how you can fully cover your bases with the ps1 in just 20 games.
You can't, even excluding all the games that can't happen due to licensing, this thing is going to be missing dozens of classics. Like the NES and SNES consoles, literally everyone is going to have games that they'd prefer to swap in and out of what's actually on the machine.

I think that (as several people have already suggested earlier in the topic) Sony are potentially going to do multiple iterations of this eventually, if this one sells well. This year they'll have the general one (with one game per franchise, maybe a few games maximum per third party publisher, covering all of the major genres), and if they think it's worthwhile then next year they can either do another one with 20 more diverse games, or maybe do lower-cost genre-specific machines (maybe a range of different models, with individual models focusing on a single genre).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Crazily the PAL PS3 doesn't support 60hz on an SD connection, which given that it only came with composite cables + HDTV proliferation wasn't universal means a lot of folks would've still played PS3 in 50 here
Lol yeah that was bonkers, I rushed out to buy my first HDTV at PS3 launch day after starting up the console because of the crazy 50hz conversion which made everything stutter. I think the games rankat 60hz through a 50hz output, or something like that.
(In hindsight it was still a good thing for me though... Otherwise I probably would've played on an SDTV for years)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
There go my dreams of a secret Ethernet port for additional game downloads.
Yeah, Sony has confirmed that there are just 20 games and cannot be added others (without hacking at least).

Mods or @TheDestructiveSquirrel should really put the following information in OP:

*1 Sales method may differ depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*2 Design of outer box differs depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*3 The title line-up other than the listed five titles may differ depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*4 Software titles cannot be added on via download or any other way. Peripherals for PlayStation® such as Memory Cards, cannot be used with PlayStation Classic.

*5 A commercially available USB AC adaptor is required to use this console. Please use an AC adaptor that supports 5 V, 1.0 A USB (Type A) output. However, there is no guarantee that all AC adaptors are compatible with your console.

*Please note that the information listed in this Press Release is subject to change without prior notice.

https://asia.playstation.com/en-vn/press-releases/2018/sea/20180919-psclassic/

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Am I the only ERA user who doesn't want to put 4585819 consoles under his TV? I don't have space for a gaming room anyways. Am super happy to keep my gaming library in as little devices as possible, so on PS4, Xbox One or Switch/3DS.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, Sony has confirmed that there are just 20 games and cannot be added others (without hacking at least).

Mods or @TheDestructiveSquirrel should really put the following information in OP:

*1 Sales method may differ depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*2 Design of outer box differs depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*3 The title line-up other than the listed five titles may differ depending on which country / region the product is sold in.

*4 Software titles cannot be added on via download or any other way. Peripherals for PlayStation® such as Memory Cards, cannot be used with PlayStation Classic.

*5 A commercially available USB AC adaptor is required to use this console. Please use an AC adaptor that supports 5 V, 1.0 A USB (Type A) output. However, there is no guarantee that all AC adaptors are compatible with your console.

*Please note that the information listed in this Press Release is subject to change without prior notice.

https://asia.playstation.com/en-vn/press-releases/2018/sea/20180919-psclassic/
Do we know if in Europe the games will be at 50Hz, or if they will use the US roms, NES classic style?

Status
Not open for further replies.