• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so there's 9TF and 11/13 TF camp right?

But being very honest, very very honest, would anyone in whatever camp be disappointed if Sony does announce 9TF? Maybe to a point of saying they fucked up?

Honestly?

IMO, I'd be disappointed because I want both consoles to be practically the same, so games don't take a hit in either side. This way, the focus would be on the game itself, and not the technical side of it. However, we all know exclusives will never disappoint, and I hope Microsoft shows us must have exclusives too.

Playing and enjoying what Sony's studios have been able to do on the base PS4 and even the PRO, a 9tf with RDNA 2, Zen 2 CPU and the SSD the games would still be amazing. I think that many underestimate the software side of things. No matter what hardware Sony puts out, what their teams will do will be amazing.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i think we'll see an 'in-engine' trailer for at least 1 unannounced game... I mean that's how you cap off an event like this. here's the specs, here's what those specs achieve. get hyped until our next event.

the majority of this will likely be slides and tech demos from upgraded PS4 games tho

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Era is nofunallowed.jpg
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tenor.gif

BlacJack22

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 25, 2020
I remember when Demons Souls was announced in Famitsu along with a couple of screenshots - on an old forum I used to post on I made a thread about it and everyone laughed saying it would be another mediocre FROM game. How times have changed.

Man I remember the exact opposite, the excitement was crazy. I also remember people playing the imported version before it released in the US and hearing these details of crazy difficulty and fighting lone monsters on narrow passageways and how the online interactions worked. It's part of what even got me into the series. The stories from those alone hyped me up enough to blind buy from a company I had previously never followed. And now they are my favorite games of all time.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Expecting

-console and controller form factor,

-no actual tech specs but loose tech talk aka next gen SSD, Custom Built AMD GPU/APU.

-tech demos of loading times, ray tracing, rasterizing 50000000 ducks at a time. Possibly some first party games shown in PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 mode.

-a look at the alexa style UI integration and limited look at the UI, minimal changes over PS4 design

-some quick trailers of 3 to 4 games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bluepoint's project as mentioned already, Godfall, GT ?

- bc for playstation 1, 2, and 4 shown off and takes up decent amount of time.

Overall I think the people going into it expecting to be shocked are going to leave disappointed, those expecting Sony to provide the spec sheet will likely be as well. Those of us that just want to see the damn thing already will be satisfied.
I think you have it all mixed around. This is oriented for game developers. It's a GDC recording.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of games at all.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Maiden in black, grant us strength so that the world might be mended. Imagine if the first shot is a close-up of her face...

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'll just say this: these things are planned months in advance...but I'd think if the PS5 was worse than the Xbox Series, Sony would never announce all the tech related stuff only 2 days later and would probably delay this closer to release date. Like May, June and talk a lot about games as well by then.

I can't imagine Sony's marketing team going "Okay MS has the best machine so we're going ahead with this tech presentation in 2 days with no games to distract from the fact we're second best this time and while everyone is still digesting much better hardware from MS. I'm sure our shareholders will be delighted to know this now that everything is going down in the stock market."

If they are doing this, they will give us a lot of good info and are confident in what they have.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All I want to hear, honestly, is 100% backward compatibility with the PS4, PS3, PS2 & PS1.

Do that, and I'll pre-order.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just say this: these things are planned months in advance...but I'd think if the PS5 was worse than the Xbox Series, Sony would never announce all the tech related stuff only 2 days later and would probably delay this closer to release date. Like May, June and talk a lot about games as well by then.

I can't imagine Sony's marketing team going "Okay MS has the best machine so we're going ahead with this tech presentation in 2 days with no games to distract from the fact we're second best this time and while everyone is still digesting much better hardware from MS. I'm sure our shareholders will be delighted to know this now that everything is going down in the stock market."

If they are doing this, they will give us a lot of good info and are confident in what they have.
Nah, this makes too much sense.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Pointing out the differences is making you a fanboy according to the poster. I dont think it necessary but its even more unnecessary to get such hostile comments in return.
It's not that it's unnecessary but for the purpose of this thread (where it was posted) it's just irrelevant to the topic. However, whether or not it's pointed out, it's the reality. The difference in hype and popularity exists right now, both on this forum, and elsewhere in the communities can be quantified.
There's this atmosphere of pure unadulturated hype that flows through threads like this, which center around big gaming news and reveals. The sort of feel you rarely see on Era outside of insane Smash threads. And I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like Playstation threads benefit massively from the ubiquity of Playstation love. If I dropped by to post variations of 'drop that load, Cerny. DO IT.' a few times, maybe with a humorous gif on the side - well, I don't think very many people would think much of it. And I may be wrong, or I may be showing a bit of bias in my thinking, here... but with nearly every other major gaming brand having less cache and fewer fans here (like in real life), such behavior is often seen as a bit brand-obsessive, or straight-up kinda weird, when seen in threads revolving around other brands that aren't evergreen Nintendo shit basically (and, uh, even then, lol). Like, I've seen people get the verbal side-eye for invoking Phil in Xbox hype threads, yunno? Course, we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for people trying to do the same to Playstation fans, but being the big dog in town, more people will defend the PS hype, and revel in it, I feel. And I think that's the imbalance some people are feeling, even if it's probably best for them to just deal with the reality that Sony flat-out brings the hype to many more people, and a bigger crowd is always gonna be a wilder crowd. Playstation IS gaming to so many people, after all. Easy enough of a thing for me to see when it's time for a Nintendo hype thread, so why not Sony threads too?
I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this week and got caught up in a bit of console warring myself. I'm over it now, and I'm so ready for the PS5 deep dive and potential reveals. Trying to get on the same wavelength as our PS fans up in here, to share in the joy, and to that end I'm doing my best to look at the hype train from a fairer and nicer perspective than I might have in the past. cuz for real most people here are just trying to have fun while prepping themselves for an info drop that actually excites them.
I think I understand what you're saying. There's hype for every console publisher here (Sony, mS, Nintendo, and I can't really comment on the Nintendo threads since I don't really visit them), but when it comes to the threads involving Sony and their first party studios, the hype there seems to be like, un-challengeable, can't be argued with or just to an extent, infallible since the overall global popularity of the playstation brand speaks for itself?
Not really, theres a higher portion of Sony fans on this forum. We have polls that state as much. And that Naughty Dog thread recently demonstrates this further (tone is less incendiary and more forgiving as opposed to similar thread for CDPR + Rockstar).
www.resetera.com

Poll - What current gen gaming platforms do you own?

So, we're closing in on the end of the generation, next generation is roughly a year away going by rumors, we know Sony is dominating like never before with the PS4 worldwide on hardware sales and Switch is playing catch up. But lets take a peek at what the userbases look like among core gamers...
That thread is not entirely one sided, and there are tens of thousands of posters here, and that poll only got a small fraction of that in the amount of voters.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody already replied to you with an example. It's clear you don't want to acknowledge any of it, so you're right in that there's no point in wasting time. Find another thread to derail. It's not hard to see what you're doing.
I already acknowledged it when I said '...there's fanboyism for every platform on this forum '.

You're the one that then went on to say 'I've noticed it from all sides.' and yet can't provide me a single example of it on the Xbox side when I asked for it. Despite replying to me on multiple occasions up until that point, you curiously decide to try and shutdown discussion once I ask for an example of that for some reason.

So sure, there's no point in wasting time if you're no longer going to actually discuss anything.

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Updated optimistic predictions for PS5 that attempts to bring all leaks + insiders together. 8 core zen 3.2+ ghz 16GB GB GDDR6, ~576GB/s 2-3GB reserved for OS 4GB DDR4, 2GB for OS, 2GB for SSD Cache Navi GPU 40CU (all enabled), 64 ROPS at ~2.1ghz, 10.8-11 TF (> Stadia) 1 TB SSD at 4+GB/s $499...

Final prediction:
8 core Zen 2 4.0ghz no SMT, 3.8ghz with SMT
16GB GDDR6 512+GB/s,
2-4GB DDR4. (Questionable)
36CU at 2.2+ghz / 40CU at 2.1ghz, 10+TF, RDNA 2, VRS, RT
1TB SSD

All clocks are peak theoretical boost clocks. YMMV.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If I were Mark Cerny I would use Knack composed of 3 million ray traced rubber ducks to show off the power of the PS5.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to sneaky stream this at work tomorrow. We're in a global pandemic and I still have to go in to the office so I think I deserve a little Cerny treat.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember... how did the Cerny bathtub meme come about? (imagine Cerny acknowledging the baththub meme tomorrow...).

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It's not close to the same quantity and quality of info MS have been putting out - simple as. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many doom and gloom posts because Sony chose to wait on MS, and very little info was going out. So I think it is perfectly on point to say this is the first sizeable official info we are getting on the console / what Sony have in mind for it
No not really , until yesterday , Sony and Microsoft had talked about just about the same things Sony being the one that went first. Difference was Microsoft showed the box while Sony has not. Pull every information out there about both devices prior to yesterday and they line up with minimal differences. And again after tomorrow they will line up with each other again.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

Or they could be confident and be at the same power level. Or lower. I don't think they would delay info that was created for GDC (not E3, TGS, etc.) regardless of what MS said. I'm sure they're confident in whatever they built and while I personally think they'll have the upper hand I don't think the timing is indicative of anything other than this being when Sony planned to get this info out. Could also be that some parts are stronger (SSD, RT, RAM) and some parts inferior (CPU, GPU). Who knows? The beauty in it for me is it will satisfy my curiosity but I don't really care the outcome. I just like video games and Sony makes good ones so I'll be there. I don't have any emotional attachment to them being stronger/weaker/on par. I can't fucking wait for this deep dive.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Fucking yes! They waited until Microsoft showed everything except price and games. I like it.

Lmao...I'm sure that's what they did *eye roll* how does that benefit them at all? Only way it benefits to wait is if they were going to undercut their price point or their console is stronger (which all signs point to it not being). Every gaming outlet has been shitting on Sony for their silence over the course of the last couple of months, pretty sure they realized they NEEDED to say something.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Won't be able to watch it in real time.
Gotta watch the video late at night, and find a way to avoid online spoilers while I try to find the right video.
Suggestions, please?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
i think we'll see an 'in-engine' trailer for at least 1 unannounced game... I mean that's how you cap off an event like this. here's the specs, here's what those specs achieve. get hyped until our next event.

the majority of this will likely be slides and tech demos from upgraded PS4 games tho
Yeah, definitely. Microsoft did this with Hellblade at the Series X reveal. Sony should follow that example.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I don't see how this is reactionary. GDC is THE place to showcase architecture & specs. Then, as we move more closely to launch they'll show the games, prices, accessories and so on.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is reactionary. GDC is THE place to showcase architecture & specs. Then, as we move more closely to launch they'll show the games, prices, accessories and so on.

It's not. This is all stuff that Sony and MS certainly had planned for this week. This isn't a school project, it's the lead up to releasing major consumer electronics. You can't just "wing it". This isn't the same as knocking up a used games video for for a quick jab.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If ratchet is a launch title its going to look fucking amazing. 2016 ratchet and clank is still one of the most gorgeous games ive ever seen

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol, the thirst for PS5 news is real. This thread has nearly double the amount of pages in a single day vs the XBSX thread from yesterday.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im mostly sold on it aleady so im interested to hear some tech info.

Waaaaay more interested in the price tho.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So think there will be a new game they show this off with? If not I won't care as much. Buying it anyway lol

Status
Not open for further replies.