Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So that's...

Firesprite
Insomiac
Bluepoint
Nixxes
Housemarque

And a partnership for an exclusive from that Jade Raymond studio, I think Haven or something? It's going good for Sony in terms of acquisitions and partnerships.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
EmberLabs is probbly being eyed.
Also I still think Sony will at least try to get FromSoft from Kadokawa, be it fruitless effort or not.

Not much left actually aside studios like Haven or JP niche (Falcom/Vanillaware).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hulst slams laptop closed and stands up from his desk.

Great. Job done. We've been acquiring partner studios since the 90s but I think we're finally done. Bluepoint completes the puzzle. We will not be acquiring anybody else. We are done with acquisitions.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
SE honestly, if it gets bought by anyone, it'll be MS

still pretty big
The most valuable assets Square Enix have are still big in Japan and are longtime PS brand associated IPs. There is a reason why Square Enix has been up for selling exclusivity on FF7R and FF16 to Sony.

Microsoft could benefit from the western divisions and I could see Square Enix splitting apart, but if they were doing a full company sell-off the peak value for Square would be with Sony, then Nintendo, then MS.

Sega would make more sense for MS. They've built a strong PC publishing division that would insert straight into MS' portfolio, Sonic and co. would give them a nice boost in all ages IPs to service as a way to broaden age appeal for Game Pass too. What to do with Atlus would be the trick there. Their games do well but would likely suffer if they became Xbox/PC exclusive. But at the same time its not like Atlus turns over a half dozen core SMT/Persona games in a generation, so as prestige projects that they could also push as a big part of the XCloud selling point for Sony/Nintendo platform owners it'd probably still work well.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking ether ember labs or wayforward.

something wild like Arc system works or Konami would be crazy though.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018

still pretty big

SE would be a good (for Microsoft) strategic aquistion if they just cared about directly hurting Sony. But clearly they have larger fish to fry at this point. And does Microsoft really want to deal with all the other stuff SE has their fingers in?

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Kadokawa seems to be a likely one which in itself would mean they own FromSoft.

I can Square enix being a major purchase in the future for sony.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising, I don't expect anything to the scale of Bethesda obviously but it does make me wonder who is next given that Insomniac, Bluepoint and Housemarque were my big 3 for years.

So here's a few ideas, although it could change easily:

• Arrowhead Games - Helldivers
  • Ember Lab - Kena
  • Oddworld Inhabitants - Oddworld Series
  • Creative Vault Studios & Clever Beans - Wipeout Omega Collection & VR
  • Lucid - Destruction All Stars (Twisted Metal is rumoured)
  • Clap Hanz - I know they have gone their own way lately, but if they feel more secure with Sony they'll team up again
  • Shift Up - Project Eve
For a big oh my god one, I'll go with Konami's game development and IPs. Konami will let Sony use it's dev teams and IPs, and the rest of Konami will focus on it's non-game stuff. Very unlikely however.

Jun 24, 2021
maybe a different K company

Sony is anime-obsessed at the moment
You're joking right? Sony hasn't been as averse to anime as they're right now repeatedly shunning games like that from their repertoire and applying nonsensical double standards to those that do make it that they never apply to their hyper violent realistic games (changing a bloodstain to black in Doki Doki Literature Club vs letting us see literal guts hanging from a still alive person in The Last of Us 2).

And what K company you talking about? Kadokawa? Konami?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Kadokawa or Square-Enix (if they could afford them) probably make most sense with the larger company strategy at the moment, with their combination of games and anime, yeah.
Sony could technically but them both with cash on hand, even paying a premium, and have money left over.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
You're joking right? Sony hasn't been as averse to anime as they're right now repeatedly shunning games like that from their repertoire and applying nonsensical double standards to those that do make it that they never apply to their hyper violent realistic games (changing a bloodstain to black in Doki Doki Literature Club vs letting us see literal guts hanging from a still alive person in The Last of Us 2).

They're not talking about anime games. Sony has been making a giant push into the anime space in general. They just bought Crunchyroll and has publicly stated that anime is their 4th pillar.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
strange stuff to confirm yeah, they like the buzz.

i'm sure EmberLabs is in talks.

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh I guess it is gonna continue and I am tired of getting mad.

Knock yourselves out I guess. When MS is doing moves then it is only fair they do it as well.

Whatever happens hopefully I still have access to games I am a fan of.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018

And what K company you talking about? Kadokawa? Konami?
Sony has just invested a literal billion dollars buying Crunchyroll. I think it's fair to say they're all in on anime.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So that's...

Firesprite
Insomiac
Bluepoint
Nixxes
Housemarque

And a partnership for an exclusive from that Jade Raymond studio, I think Haven or something? It's going good for Sony in terms of acquisitions and partnerships.

Also a partnership with Deviation Games (ex-CoD devs) for an exclusive first person shooter iirc.

Kadokawa would be a huge get for Sony. Not only would that give them FROM Software, it'd also give them Spike Chunsoft, access to a whole lot of manga and anime licenses and IP, Bookwalker (something like Crunchyroll for manga), partial ownership of Kinema Citrus and more. Sony already invested in Kadokawa earlier this year, so I'm not sure if an acquisition is something that's on the horizon right now, but it'd be a smart move for both their PlayStation and their anime branches.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Has a company ever said "No. We're no longer looking to acquire any other companies?"

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Thread headline makes it sound like they have more coming soon but the article just reads like the standard response.

If you want to know what potential purchases will be just look at the new studios they're working with rn on playstation games. Probably going to work with them maybe even on multiple games, like housemarque, and see how it all plays out.

kenji_sama

Nov 23, 2017
CEO of SPE said that the consolidation will be in game business. It means that Sony group (not just SCE) may be willing to acquire more.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Also a partnership with Deviation Games (ex-CoD devs) for an exclusive first person shooter iirc.

Kadokawa would be a huge get for Sony. Not only would that give them FROM Software, it'd also give them Spike Chunsoft, access to a whole lot of manga and anime licenses and IP, Bookwalker (something like Crunchyroll for manga), partial ownership of Kinema Citrus and more. Sony already invested in Kadokawa earlier this year, so I'm not sure if an acquisition is something that's on the horizon right now, but it'd be a smart move for both their PlayStation and their anime branches.

Wasn't there one other partnership? Firewalk, I think it was?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Possibilites

• Lucid
  • Arrowhead
  • Emberlabs
  • Haven
  • Deviation
  • Firewalk? IDK if its possible

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Presumably that means another one in the not too distant future. Honestly, screw both Sony and especially Microsoft (for starting the trend) for this. No-one wins here except faceless corporations.
This is typically the right take except the fact that most of the studios that Sony purchases only develop for their console to begin with, or the games they make have already been funded by Sony along the way already.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Satya said the same about Microsoft. No one is ever truly "done" with stuff like this. They will always been looking at growth opportunities. It's common sense.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Does Kadokawa own Marvelous too? That might suck cuz that would mean no more No More Heroes games. I can see Sony trying to get Capcom or SE based off their IP's and they're very buddy buddy with each other.

Arc wouldn't be cool at all. That would mean no more DBFZ. I'd be cool with VaniallaWare though. They can really use the strength of a Sony backed project.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a "No kidding" statement. Any smart business is always looking at any and all opportunities.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still think Kojima is next. It will likely be a game announcement & acquisition announcement all at once for the hype. That seems like the kinda shit Sony would do.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the sort of person to champion acquisitions but the idea that they only benefit executives and their wallets is both hilarious and a little bit sad, honestly.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is going to stop the continued consolidation of the game industry, this is not surprising at all.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. As a PS5 owner Sony's recent acquisitions obviously work well for me, but just kind of sucks that a big portion of players get cut off from being able to play the next Spider-Man game or the next Housemarque game. This is also a war that MS has the substantial upper hand in monetarily and I worry they're going to further escalate things with another disruptive acquisition like Bethesda (ie. Sega or Capcom, which would just massively suck).
That would be a bit more difficult. Bethesda was probably the biggest privately owned publisher left. Every other big publisher is a public company pretty much. Also Capcom is pretty much controlled by a single family as far as I remember.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll buy Arrowhead.

Arrowhead said they are working on a next-gen co-op game. That Nvidia leak listed Helldivers 2 as one of the Sony games that might be on PC.

Would line up a bit

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

still pretty big

Yeah wouldnt be surprised if SE would go for very high prices. I think their IP is bigger than what Bethesda has and they also have the anime, manga, music and merchandise parts of their business.