A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Focus Entertainment, Asobo and FromSoftware would all be a good buy for Sony as well.

Nov 19, 2019
2048px-Square-symbol.svg.png
fetchimage

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
They should buy Kojima, the Kena Studio and someone that can make Driveclub Horizon
Well and Capcom would be my wish

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Some of y'all forget Segasammy exists, and I highly doubt discarding the PS/Switch audience with certain software is on their mind atm.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
ThatGameStudio would've been the perfect acquisition a few years ago. Nowadays I don't know if they are as interested in the PlayStation platform.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adore ArcSys, but as a fighting game fan, an acquisition from anyone would be awful for the fighting game community when we've been inching towards cross play between platforms. Not to mention, we can kiss sequels to FighterZ goodbye and the chances of a JoJo or Shonen Vs fighter would be slim.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
A version of this pops up everytime Xbox or Playstation does an acquisition. Duh. They're not gonna say "we are no longer seeking to grow our first party studios. We are done and will not be acquiring or opening any more studios". Being open to more acquisitions is a non-state and it's far from the same thing as saying "we have more upcoming acquisitions that we will be announcing soon"

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This was such a nothing statement that is sort of being exaggerated by Nobel. It's not suggesting they are proactively looking to acquire more studios. Of course they might be but "we are always open to new relationships or bringing people in" is just a fluff statement lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious long-term partner (Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firesprite) acquisitions are done.

Who's next? Hard to say, but I think maybe medium-term partners (Arrowhead, Camouflaj, Lucid, Impulse Gear or Ember Lab) would be next if their upcoming games are hits. I'd usually expect Sony to work with these teams longer to achieve the rapport of an all but official first-party studio, but they're well aware of the state of consolidation at the moment. If not them, then someone else.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The obvious long-term partner (Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firesprite) acquisitions are done.

Who's next? Hard to say, but I think maybe medium-term partners (Arrowhead, Camouflaj, Lucid, Impulse Gear or Ember Lab) would be next if their upcoming games are hits. I'd usually expect Sony to work with these teams longer to achieve the rapport of an all but official first-party studio, but they're well aware of the state of consolidation at the moment. If not them, then someone else.
Exactly. The threat is real. If Sony don't get them, someone else will. You can't hang about anymore. Imagine if Sony got beat in getting Insomniac and BP for example.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Lucid is a good bet. They're getting the Firesprite treatment right now with all the new hires for Twisted Metal.

Camouflaj as well, with Sony/Marvel's expanding partnership it makes a lot of sense.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I dont think they are many studios that Sony helps with funding to grown and makes games for them the only one left are from Japan and some very small teams.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like your generic response tbh. And it's not like any company will say "we're done with acquisitions". If the chance presents itself, they'd take it.
This.

It really means nothing. they could actively be looking for more or doing completely nothing unless something presents itself, we'll never know.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Is mihoyo owned by anyone? If so, wonder what it would take to get a Chinese developer.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Ember Lab or Lucid Games would make a lot of sense.

People suggesting Kadokawa are on my shitlist forever. And no, it has nothing to do with From or even games or anime.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Unlike many on the forum I really don't have any beef with Sony or Microsoft acquiring studios for their first party teams.

Sure, if someone buys EA or Take Two I think it might get a little silly, but I think both Sony and Microsoft are making smart investments that are good for the studios and will produce better games as a result. Bigger budgets, more creative freedom, and importantly better working conditions and job security are all fairly important.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
- Lucid, if Twisted Metal is really happening.

- Ember Lab, if the team feel working with Sony & Sony Animations like Pixelopus would be a neat opportunity.

- Impact Gear, if they wish to invest further in IPs like Farpoint for VR.

- Camouflaj, if they wish to continue working on Iron Man VR.

There are a lot of opportunities for growth.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
If it's small/medium teams that can benefit from direct access to huge PS's resources, then I'm 100% in, keep em coming

But please don't go fishing for big established teams, they're just fine the way they are: independent. No more consolidation

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
- Lucid, if Twisted Metal is really happening.

- Ember Lab, if the team feel working with Sony & Sony Animations like Pixelopus would be a neat opportunity.

- Impact Gear, if they wish to invest further in IPs like Farpoint for VR.

- Camouflaj, if they wish to continue working on Iron Man VR.

There are a lot of opportunities for growth.

Spider-Verse-style Anya Corazon or Silk game by Ember Lab. Mah gawd.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I want is a new, 3D Castlevania game under the PS Studios banner.

Make it happen, Sony.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Spider-Verse-style Anya Corazon or Silk game by Ember Lab. Mah gawd.

Ember Lab worked with a TON of outsourcing, and consultants. If Sony does acquire them, the team gains a lot in terms of development efficiency, but not having a lot of that talent internal is also less attractive to the buyer too.

All being considered, it would be a good fit for both. If they wanna work on Marvel, their own IP or continue with Kena, loads of potential.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Is Kojima going to want to be tied down again like Konami? Likely not. Not to mention if his studio gets acquired but he eventually leaves, then that's just a waste of money as he's the only notable developer working there.

Yep, i always say this. Kojima Productions is just a shell of a company without Kojima. If he retires or walks away from it then you're kind of left with a name, and talent that could walk away with him.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
They need to keep going considering that the competition is relentless in this space.