• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
right after 7 years just offering up BC games, isnt enough to me, even gamepass is great for people who are massive game consumers but most people in a gen only buy 7-10 games, so how does that offer value to them vs a few blockbuster games and their annual battle royales and COD. thats why it does matter, MS def pushed the industry in good ways with PC centric stuff and its good they are pretty much embracing that. Its the DNA it works for their current audience and may bring way more money to them than just selling consoles alone keeps things healthy but I dont think anyone but nintendo or sony will be trading the console sales numbers anytime soon. You totally see the divergence and honestly there is enough for most to eat. Im in the crowd now that the console wars a dead and its now the BIG 3 that pretty much have their own audiences with some overlap.
Yeah that's a pretty good analysis...I would love for MS to just be completely platform agnostic and they work something out where I can play Xbox stuff through a PS, right now it's still a little too close for me to be in all ecosystems.

Nintendo makes (in-house) the best reasons for you to own their hardware and try and innovate every hardware refresh in controller input/gameplay
Sony is the home of 3rd party, something for everyone, and also makes a compelling amount of content (in-house) to distinguish their hardware
Xbox is also the home of 3rd party, but is more platform agnostic and you can play with their box or on PC, lot of services

A million times better than PS2/Gamecube/Xbox gen, but I would still like a little more effort to offer something unique with each platform, mainly team Xbox.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing shocking about the price. A cheaper price was discussed by everyone for a long time now. Sony knows the XSS would be a cheaper console like everyone else did.

Yet that didn't change people's perception about next gen. PS having the mindshare and most importantly the games.

What has changed besides social chatter just because it's finally announced? Nothing.

People jump to conclusions every time MS announces something.
Well said.

Yup people always underestimate the power of PlayStation branding Xbox have been cheaper virtually all generation it's not just about pricing you need strong software and strong branding.
Great point, they spent the whole gen fire saling the xbox one under-priced and it didn't change anything.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that's a pretty good analysis...I would love for MS to just be completely platform agnostic and they work something out where I can play Xbox stuff through a PS, right now it's still a little too close for me to be in all ecosystems.

Nintendo makes (in-house) the best reasons for you to own their hardware and try and innovate every hardware refresh in controller input/gameplay
Sony is the home of 3rd party, something for everyone, and also makes a compelling amount of content (in-house) to distinguish their hardware
Xbox is also the home of 3rd party, but is more platform agnostic and you can play with their box or on PC, lot of services

A million times better than PS2/Gamecube/Xbox gen, but I would still like a little more effort to offer something unique with each platform, mainly team Xbox.
yeah I agree to me i think having nintendo/PS works for most people, but Xbox could slide in greatly for the biggest enthusiasts.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is smart in letting the games do the talking.
Unless you expect Sony to price the DE at $300, then the S is simply going to have a pricing advantage over it no matter if it's $50 or $100. That's what he's talking about. So Sony will lean on their games lineup as a way to make it more enticing.
Lean on their games eh? I don't see a problem there.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how many people in the gaming press and on era have thought these consoles are going to be way more expensive than they're going to be. Even back in May I thought that it was obvious we'd be getting XSX @ $500 and PS5 @$450-500. The BoM don't lie :3

Obviously the two sku situation makes things a little different, but I'd say it's a done deal for PS5 @ $500.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's kinda funny how many people in the gaming press and on era have thought these consoles are going to be way more expensive than they're going to be. Even back in May I thought that it was obvious we'd be getting XSX @ $500 and PS5 @$450-500. The BoM don't lie :3

Obviously the two sku situation makes things a little different, but I'd say it's a done deal for PS5 @ $500.
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it :D still betting on a way higher price point than that for PS5.

Jan 20, 2019

Not like we told that 1000 times, peopel just refuse to listed.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

Yeah I expected $500 as well but was holding out hope for $400, but that seemed like a long shot. DE may be $400 though just for the fact they will make that money back on the PS Store fairly quickly.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine this...
SSD modified PS4 Pro @300 w/ 3 exclusives bundled
PS5 Digital @$400
PS5 Disc @ $500

I think this $300 Xbox is great to break into many households though and get some gamepass subscriptions up. My main issue is the 512 SSD size for an ALL digital version. Leaves like ~400GB usable for games...and I don't expect the cross-gen games to be getting any smaller in size, so that will fill quick. Is it confirmed whether it has the upgradable SSD chips?

If PS5 Digital is $400, may be a great competitor to the Series S. For another $100 you get a near 50% increase in storage, plus parity with the full PS5 sans disc.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I really don't get it, especially from people in the press who are paid to know better. At $600, Sony would be making a decent profit on each system sold. When have consoles (other than Nintendo) ever done this at launch? IIRC, Sony has always sold their hardware at a loss to start the gen.

Given what we've already known for ages about the hardware and BOM, I don't see how anything outside the $400-$500 range would make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this...
SSD modified PS4 Pro @300 w/ 3 exclusives bundled
PS5 Digital @$400
PS5 Disc @ $500

I think this $300 Xbox is great to break into many households though and get some gamepass subscriptions up. My main issue is the 512 SSD size for an ALL digital version. Leaves like ~400GB usable for games...and I don't expect the cross-gen games to be getting any smaller in size, so that will fill quick. Is it confirmed whether it has the upgradable SSD chips?

If PS5 Digital is $400, may be a great competitor to the Series S. For another $100 you get a near 50% increase in storage, plus parity with the full PS5 sans disc.
CPU would still be the bottle neck with that upgraded Pro. It's better to just concentrate on full PS5 experience.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'd personally consider the adaptive controller more innovative that 90% of all other hardware and software on the market tbh
?? it's no doubt a great controller to help people, but it's not innovating game design, or creating new ways to play really. it's simply broadening who can experience gaming. A great product, but more innovating than 90% of everything on the market is a huge stretch.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm going for £349 and £399 for both consoles prices

6D40AF1E54B73A9FD01A15C82B77623265ADAE44

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But that´s another thing isn´t ?
I mean I was talking about value I was not talking about regional pricing and in this point I completely agree with you that Sony Brasil really sucks.
Sadly on top of that our currency is screwed so we are fucked.
Anyway not gonna lie to you : I never intended to get a PS5 in oficial stores here.
Like you said One was R$2300,00 at launch...I got my PS4 for R$1300~R$1400 4 months after release importing it. It´s just a shame that this time instead of being R$1300~R$1400 is going to be R$3000~R$3500,00 just because of our weakened currency.

Was the price not high over there because they had to bring them in ?
I remember it was suppose to be cheaper once they started making them in Brazil .

Jan 20, 2019
Yeah, I really don't get it, especially from people in the press who are paid to know better. At $600, Sony would be making a decent profit on each system sold. When have consoles (other than Nintendo) ever done this at launch? IIRC, Sony has always sold their hardware at a loss to start the gen.

Given what we've already known for ages about the hardware and BOM, I don't see how anything outside the $400-$500 range would make sense.

Honestly, the moment i saw that IGN report ps side doenst even know the games coming to ps is the moment i stop listing to them. You get better information on Twitter and Youtube that you get from news outlets.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'd love to know the reason why some expect the PS5 to be way higher than $500. Especially if the Series X is that price. I mean PS5 technically IS the weaker console, but some of yall expect it to be $100 more?

Not to mention if the PS5 is $600 all that talk from Jim Ryan about fast adoption rate goes out the window lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
?? it's no doubt a great controller to help people, but it's not innovating game design, or creating new ways to play really. it's simply broadening who can experience gaming. A great product, but more innovating than 90% of everything on the market is a huge stretch.
That's pretty hyperbolic to me too lol. It's great for accessibility but that's about it, the biggest gains for accessibility comes from devs actually making the software accessible too. Like TLOU2.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Fair points.

And to the earlier points about software, yeah that is also true. MS seems to have been LTTP on the importance of a first party lineup. You can't just materialize that overnight. Sony spent the entire PS3 generation building and improving their first party output, that's clearly paid off in the long run. MS has made some promising moves here more recently, but they won't have much to show for it for several years still. Like, if Halo was looking incredible and still on track for launch, with stuff like Avowed and Fable 3 being year 1 games, they'd obviously be in a much better position. But I think we'll be well into the middle of the gen before we get a lot of their new stuff from the acquisitions.

Meanwhile Sony will have Miles, Ratchet, GT7, and Horizon 2 in the first year. I know PS Studios aren't on the level of Nintendo in mainstream appeal, but they're not nearly as far back as before. I know a ton of "casuals" who were in love with Spider-Man and Horizon, for example.

Mostly, I'm just excited to see where next gen goes, and I'm ready for Sony to open the floodgates on info. Last gen I probably had like $100 in my bank account when the PS4 launched lol (working part time at McDonald's to help pay for college). This gen I've already got a gaming PC, a Switch, and I'll be ready to buy a PS5 at launch with a couple games.
Yeah, Spidey, Horizon, God of War and whatever ND does next will be big sellers for PS5. Gran Turismo might be big again too with a huge campaign again and more casual appeal. Nintendo is first party king, but they do miss out on some big 3rd party stuff, so it kinda balances out having Switch/PS4. I think that combo will work really well again next gen.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Between Ratchet & Clank and Kena, it's a great time to have "Pixar quality" games. I hope we will see more and more of these in the future.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously cannot wait until we get the price so we can stop listening to insiders, its a parody at this point.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Digital foundry expected it at 600 box and Era is a big audience of them.
The BOM at around 450$ mean loss if you sell at 499, including everything you have to add.

The BoM in the XSX is likely higher, so that one may be more expensive. MS has the leeway to do that, given they have a cheaper model. BoM was around $430 I think for the disk based version of PS5.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Fair points.

And to the earlier points about software, yeah that is also true. MS seems to have been LTTP on the importance of a first party lineup. You can't just materialize that overnight. Sony spent the entire PS3 generation building and improving their first party output, that's clearly paid off in the long run. MS has made some promising moves here more recently, but they won't have much to show for it for several years still. Like, if Halo was looking incredible and still on track for launch, with stuff like Avowed and Fable 3 being year 1 games, they'd obviously be in a much better position. But I think we'll be well into the middle of the gen before we get a lot of their new stuff from the acquisitions.

Meanwhile Sony will have Miles, Ratchet, GT7, and Horizon 2 in the first year. I know PS Studios aren't on the level of Nintendo in mainstream appeal, but they're not nearly as far back as before. I know a ton of "casuals" who were in love with Spider-Man and Horizon, for example.

Mostly, I'm just excited to see where next gen goes, and I'm ready for Sony to open the floodgates on info. Last gen I probably had like $100 in my bank account when the PS4 launched lol (working part time at McDonald's to help pay for college). This gen I've already got a gaming PC, a Switch, and I'll be ready to buy a PS5 at launch with a couple games.
Yeah. Sony has spent several gens refining those studios. MS may have fixed some things but unlike even last time this time so far for early gen they have practically no exclusive system sellers planned for any time soon other than Halo which even got delayed and was already a shadow of its former self in terms of influence.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
At least post a quote:
The final price, to be seen, what I've heard about the range possibility is not in USD, sometimes Sony prefers the US when it comes to price compared to many other regions and goes lower for it. But it ballparks to around $500-650 when translated, though in my suspicion they won't go for the highest option.
www.resetera.com

So, now that we know the Series S / X's pricing... where do you think the PS5 is going to land?

The final price, to be seen, what I've heard about the range possibility is not in USD, sometimes Sony prefers the US when it comes to price compared to many other regions and goes lower for it. But it ballparks to around $500-650 when translated, though in my suspicion they won't go for the...

Depending on how badly a region gets screwed on exchange rate (and everyone always forgets about VAT), that quote and range doesn't mean much, I'm afraid.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
Seriously cannot wait until we get the price so we can stop listening to insiders, its a parody at this point.

with Series S price and the date out, it's almost obvs that most of the info on that Windows Central leak was true, if that's the case then there is likely a chance that there is an Xbox event soon like next week basically confirming 499$ for XSX and after that its only matter days/weeks before Sony comes out and does the same. it will definitely be sooner rather than later.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
dust golem has always been here on era lol. I'm sure you have seen his work in and around here

It was a joke about dust and dusk...
well, not really funny...

Well, i think a $650 PS5 with RE8 in 1080p/40fps is really dead on arrival, lets hope it isn't true.
Wouldn't have a chance against the $299 1440p/120fps console.

Status
Not open for further replies.