Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NateDrake just confirmed that FF XVI will be At E3.

Holy shit this will be great!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
Sony making deals with Square Enix seems to be how they address the JRPG genre instead of reviving their own obscure I.P. that did not sell.

Makes sense to me, their studios have no experience in making JRPGs, why not rely on those who have mastered the genre.

FF7R and 14 have really revived my love for the franchise, can't wait for the FFXVI, 7R-2 and Origin combo.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Pictures is also doing that Final Fantasy TV Series too right? Weren't the also doing a movie as well?

Lots of investment happening for this franchise. Square really wants FF to hit the ground running this gen.

Well at least no actual Sony Studio is working on someone's I.P.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Really curious how a FF souls will look like.

People comparing it to Nioh got me thinking, how difficult is that game for someone who only played Bloodborne for a Souls game and thought it was manageable and finished the game.
I am always mixing up Nioh and Sekiro and i keep reading one of them is very difficult but dont know which one.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Sony fund Media.Vision to make a new Wild Arms.
I don't think Media.Vision would be a particularly good choice. I don't think they'd bring any of their old JRPGs back without it being a large scale Final Fantasy level project, and Media.Vision are not really built for that at all. But then, there isn't really anyone that could handle a high budget JRPG these days. It's why they're going all in on Final Fantasy, Square is pretty much the only high budget JRPG studio left in the game.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Media.Vision would be a particularly good choice. I don't think they'd bring any of their old JRPGs back without it being a large scale Final Fantasy level project, and Media.Vision are not really built for that at all. But then, there isn't really anyone that could handle a high budget JRPG these days. It's why they're going all in on Final Fantasy, Square is pretty much the only high budget JRPG studio left in the game.
You believe that if Sony ever brought back one of their JRPG franchises that they'd only try and bring it back as a AAA?

Hmmm maybe that is true with how XDev is being reworked, especially in Asia. The thing is there isn't a lot of AAA JRPG companies out there that would play ball rather then working on their own I.Ps instead.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sony making deals with Square Enix seems to be how they address the JRPG genre instead of reviving their own obscure I.P. that did not sell.

I think it's that, but I wonder also if it's about building relationships aimed a promoting a preserving the day one full price release. Sony is clearly all in on that, and it may make for some natural partners. FF is obviously a very premium brand, and traditional platform splits no doubt help Sony's case anyway, but, I wonder if there's a bit of the old-fashioned 'opinionated Square' about this, where they cut deals that have a bit of a subtext about industry trends to them - in this case, perhaps about not conditioning the market too far away from paying separately and (relatively) substantially for premium products. I'd say there's been interesting discussions there between SE and Sony about protecting the premium on brands like FF in light of industry trends elsewhere. I think pubs like SE would love to promote a scenario where it's almost like the deals movie studios can broker, where you monetise the day one release with one partner, the catalog release with another, etc. and get maximum value across the whole product lifecycle. I think it's fairly clear now that Sony is leaning in on one end more than the other here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Question, do we know the dates and times of anything happening for E3 or around E3?
Kind of wondering the same thing… surely we should see some Sony announcements in a few weeks right?

I feel like there should be a Horizon Forbidden West blowout sometime soon seeing it's supposed to release in less than 6-7 months… also we haven't even seen Ragnarok yet and it's also supposedly coming this year (yeah right…).

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
You believe that if Sony ever brought back one of their JRPG franchises that they'd only try and bring it back as a AAA?

Hmmm maybe that is true with how XDev is being reworked, especially in Asia. The thing is there isn't a lot of AAA JRPG companies out there that would play ball rather then working on their own I.Ps instead.
If they tried to bring one back under SIE then yeah, it would be AAA. They'd want something with global appeal, and the typical anime style JRPG doesn't have that.

Their core issue is that there just isn't the talent in the industry to make a quality entry in their JRPG portfolio. Some companies seem to be giving it a try, like Cygames with Project Awakening, and Tales of Arise looks like it might be getting there, but none of them have proven output just yet. Might be in a few years Sony decides to dip their toe in the water again if any studios manage to get up to scratch. Wouldn't even be surprised if they hit up FromSoftware, there was a time they were part of the JRPG squad back in day and they've been successful enough in the past few years that I expect their dev team will be becoming more and more AAA in production values than they have been in the past.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't gotten around to playing any Souls-like games, so idk how excited to be about this FF thing lol. What makes something a "souls-like" aside from the punishing difficulty?

Also, isn't FF already moving more heavily into Action-RPG formula with FF16 anyway? I was under the impression FF16 was already going to be an action-RPG with a single playable character/no party members. It's that incorrect?

Just trying to get an idea of what exactly differentiates the spin-off from mainline in regards to gameplay.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Kind of wondering the same thing… surely we should see some Sony announcements in a few weeks right?

I feel like there should be a Horizon Forbidden West blowout sometime soon seeing it's supposed to release in less than 6-7 months… also we haven't even seen Ragnarok yet and it's also supposedly coming this year (yeah right…).
There are a lot of indies exclusives that haven't release dates too.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Still haven't gotten around to playing any Souls-like games, so idk how excited to be about this FF thing lol. What makes something a "souls-like" aside from the punishing difficulty?

Also, isn't FF already moving more heavily into Action-RPG formula with FF16 anyway? I was under the impression FF16 was already going to be an action-RPG with a single playable character/no party members. It's that incorrect?

Just trying to get an idea of what exactly differentiates the spin-off from mainline in regards to gameplay.
Nioh isn't really that soulslike outside of difficulty, it's more accurate to just call them action games. The only games I've played that were actually close enough to souls to get the soulslike moniker were the Deck13 games and a few indies like Ashen.

Jan 20, 2019

Souls-Like games follow the same philosify that Dark Souls.
Linear path with multiple shortcurts, safe-checks, high difficulty and a boss at the end of the level. You have a rpg system to level up skills base on the "souls" you gather from killing enemies.

That is what souls like is, but there are also games that are inspired by the souls series that are not souls-like, like Jedi Fallen Order for example.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Pictures is the distributor of Square's movies.
Is there a contract then extends beyond just FF?

Never knew this. I guess we may see more stuff from them in the future.
If they tried to bring one back under SIE then yeah, it would be AAA. They'd want something with global appeal, and the typical anime style JRPG doesn't have that.
That would be nice to see, maybe one day.

They should make Astro/Ape Escape mix game. Just have AstroBot trying to catch apes.
Nah a collab game is fine but merging the two and getting rid of the Ape Escape cast moving forward sounds lame. Like Megaman part of Ape Escape is the other cast as well and not just the Apes.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
we're never gonna get hades are we?

image0.gif

jimbo making the practical moves

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Is there a contract then extends beyond just FF?

Never knew this. I guess we may see more stuff from them in the future.

To be honest, I don't even know if in-house Square Studios ever released a movie that isn't FF related (but I'm not the best person to affirm that). But Spirits Within, Advent Children and Kingsglaive are distributed by Sony Pictures/Aniplex.

Anyway, their relationship goes much further. Sony already helped Square save itself from bankruptcy and Square helped Sony back some years later.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Sony Pictures is the distributor of Square's movies.

Not all. Hitman film rights were owned by Fox (now Disney). MGM is now holding the rights for Tomb Raider and Warner Bros is distributing the latest film. Dragon Quest Movie was distributed by Toho. I think that Sony Pictures is only involved with Final Fantasy (previous films via Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and the upcoming TV series).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Nah a collab game is fine but merging the two and getting rid of the Ape Escape cast moving forward sounds lame. Like Megaman part of Ape Escape is the other cast as well and not just the Apes.
I only like the apes and Specter lol 🙈 Astro running with a giant net would be cute.

we're never gonna get hades are we?

image0.gif

jimbo making the practical moves
Countering this demonic crap with Ellie x Tifa.
AEE3-C8-E5-17-D7-4217-ABE3-4-C4-EF8-E39-D86.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.