Status
Not open for further replies.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to sit down with Aniplex and literally rip off Genshin but with Fate skin.

From a business pov..yes I agree.

From a fan pov, I would muuuuuuuuuuch rather see an action RPG game without too much grinding and absolutely no gacha mechanic. I jump into genshin from time to time but I can't really invest too much because it's a lot of busy work. I do like the combat tho.

On a different note: for the life of me I can't understand what kotaku is so butthurt about. If it was a proper financial analysis of Sony's long term strategy, I would get it. But what's there is an article that does not understand how business or strategy work. Absolutely zero nuance discussions or exploration of differing contexts between rival firms.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Everyday Today's Menu for the Emiya Family is a niche title (still don't get why it's not on PS yet, just port it and put it on PS Now).
Fate is another matter. It would be available on Mobile and PC and it can push PS on Japan.
Putting it on Switch does not make sense, synergy-wise.

They didn't put Kimetsu on Switch even though it's doable if they really want to IMO. It's basically a PS exclusive in Japan.
Aniplex would demand it be released on Switch so as to actually sell in Japan which has one of, if not the biggest fan base of the Fate franchise. And the reason they didn't port Demon Slayer to Switch (yet) might be because the switch just isn't technically capable. It's a miracle NUNS4 doesn't have frame drops on it even with the big graphical hit and Demon Slayer is graphically better than that.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Modern Kotaku comes off like this meme personified. Bunch of edgelords who think they're smarter and more clever than everyone else.

thumb_we-should-improve-society-somewhat-yet-you-participate-in-society-63204147.png
So true.

Im now convinced that Jim ryan could literally say anything and it would be controversial.

As if Jim Ryan wouldn't have better gaming data in the 90's about regional gaming than people anecdotes about owning an nes and their friend owning and snes
Yup like Shemhazai said, this was the most inoffensive, straightforward interview he's ever done and you've still got these massive reaches to try to manufacture shit.

yeah and others thinking it is something else but then hating on Jim Ryan for not going in that direction have themselves to blame

I am looking at you Kotaku

reading Herman and Jim's recent interviews you can tell what they mean
This.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Are we really going to do this with every studio?
yes, sony should secure deals with as many studios as they can making content on their platform. Im not even talking about a straigght up acquisition im talking about a deal similar to quantic dream where you sign x amount of games

im nto even sure why thats controversial

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
His Parappa game idea actually sounds good lol
Yeah! lol

i've talked about it before but i feel like small talented studios are easy pickings right now for a lot of these companies throwing money around. Netflix just bought Night School Studios and Tencent just acquired Bloober..
Technically, Tencent didn't acquire Bloober, but it's their biggest shareholder now.

Aniplex would demand it be released on Switch so as to actually sell in Japan which has one of, if not the biggest fan base of the Fate franchise. And the reason they didn't port Demon Slayer to Switch (yet) might be because the switch just isn't technically capable. It's a miracle NUNS4 doesn't have frame drops on it even with the big graphical hit and Demon Slayer is graphically better than that.

Yeah sure, Aniplex would like to have it on Switch. They want their games to be multiplatform after all.
However, If it's a Gacha or a Genshin rip-off the game will be available on Mobile and PC alongside consoles, therefore the game will be available on the biggest gaming platform in Japan already. Having it as a PS exclusive will benefit the whole group and as I said they can get a fat check from SIE and a memo from Yoshida to ensure that this will happen.

Additionally, people still associate the Fate franchise with PS there. Tsukihime had basically an even split between NSW and PS4 even though the Switch is more popular there (and I know about the shortages. Both SKUs had shortages, even though the Switch shortages were more severe).

Even if it was a Premium release, I can see SIE and Sony Group headquarters ensuring that the game is PS exclusive.
Fate is a system seller, people will play it wherever it's available.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Regarding Jimbo's quote.

To me, this is the same stance that Microsoft and Sony have been touting for quite some time.

Trying to get that 2 billion gamer base out their through cloud streaming. In my opinion it's still unrealistic to think an AAA first party game is gonna reach 100+ million players through that.

Only a really tiny tiny percentage of these gamers on mobile devices are actually hardcore gamers that want to play AAA console games on the way. They are also usually already console owners.

Most people want to play mobile games on their mobile devices. Games they can play in short bursts, 5-10 mins at a time without having to pay 100% attention to a deep story or extensive combat. You aren't going to have 100+ million players playing God of War: Ragnarök because you can stream it on your phone.

The game must be designed in the first place to work on both mobile and consoles.

Personally, I don't see much success for cloud gaming for the next 10 years. What is much more promising are native mobile games that work on both console and mobile. Like Genshin impact.
I agree about mobile, but I don't think he think about that. There are a lot ways to enjoy streaming by dedicated app on "smart" screens or dongles.
They will make dedicated mobile games for mobile (because like you said, you need games design for the device). And that doesn't mean simpler game,

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Well the person was in charge of content at Apple Arcade so it isn't really about the service itself but rather their expertise in acquiring content for said service and we all know that Apple Arcade at least had some good gets.

6-DA399-C4-A453-442-D-8-B56-AD365429-C8-E0.jpg

So said experience could help PS Mobile, content wise. They don't need to make some sub model though.

Sony heading the EA and Ubi direction, good luck with all that trash MP and Mobile focus Jimbo, it was fun while it lasted

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel beyond that WipeEout Rush game that maybe their future mobile push will be more so like solid mobile games then just gacha or spinoff attempts that they tried their hands in and failed. At least for SIE, not talking about SM.

The thing is if Sony becomes successful on the PS Mobile front and have studios that can constantly bring out good stream of content heavy, solid mobile games then one day maybe they can have a handheld console game and have said studio continue making those games but for said handheld.

Or maybe not since a dedicated only handheld device may be dead in the water unless the main flagship PS goes that route which I doubt and I don't believe is needed with how much sucess and innovation Sony and others are doing in the traditional powerful hardware/console market.

In the meantime though they could just release those titles on PSN as digital only games. Maybe have crossplay as well?

It could maybe create a healthy first party indie or AA gaming front for SIE?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure, Aniplex would like to have it on Switch. They want their games to be multiplatform after all.
However, If it's a Gacha or a Genshin rip-off the game will be available on Mobile and PC alongside consoles, therefore the game will be available on the biggest gaming platform in Japan already. Having it as a PS exclusive will benefit the whole group and as I said they can get a fat check from SIE and a memo from Yoshida to ensure that this will happen.

Additionally, people still associate the Fate franchise with PS there. Tsukihime had basically an even split between NSW and PS4 even though the Switch is more popular there (and I know about the shortages. Both SKUs had shortages, even though the Switch shortages were more severe).

Even if it was a Premium release, I can see SIE and Sony Group headquarters ensuring that the game is PS exclusive.
Fate is a system seller, people will play it wherever it's available.
I highly doubt Aniplex wouldn't be interested in releasing a port to the currently best selling console platform in Japan . If anything a mobile version makes a Switch version even more likely since there wouldn't be a graphical downgrade. Genshin Impact even has a Switch port in development. SIE and Sony Music are different companies and unless their leaderships are officially ordered by the main branch, they're not concerned with each other's performance. Yoshida could have his own divisions waste money paying each other for exclusives but it wouldn't make much sense as it would almost certainly be leaving money on the table in Aniplex's case. Also Tsukihime isn't actually a FATE game, it's a Type Moon game but not FATE. That game Everybody's Today Menu on the other hand is a FATE game albeit a spinoff cause it actually has Fate characters. And that's a Switch exclusive. Compared to Monster Hunter, Fate isn't really much of a system seller and even Monster Hunter World couldnt save PS4 in Japan.

Last edited:

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
Sony heading the EA and Ubi direction, good luck with all that trash MP and Mobile focus Jimbo, it was fun while it lasted

Gamers should accept that mobile is the number one platform to play games. And if we want the kids to come to us Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft needs to build bridges for this audience.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no indication that expansion into mobile will come at the cost of AAA experiences lol. Even Nintendo has invested into mobile!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You can still do great games with great content but have it be on mobile.

Not everything on mobile is a shallow micro infested cash grab.

And if they do make such titles as mentioned in the former then you can have them release on PSN as well which is a win/win situation especially if WWS is still pumping out their other games too.

What we are potentially seeing is growth through addition and expansion not growth through change in direction through subtraction of another investment they already excel at.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
So, who's excited for a presumed PSX? I won't hear the naysayers, it's happening dammit! A virtual PSX that they don't need to announce months in advance. All the great games Sony didn't show in Sept event will be there plus more! :p Choo choo!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So, who's excited for a presumed PSX? I won't hear the naysayers, it's happening dammit! A virtual PSX that they don't need to announce months in advance. All the great games Sony didn't show in Sept event will be there plus more! :p Choo choo!
I hope if it exist that the theme is variety but also nostalgia. Try to target a large scope of gamers, old PS ones and new.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
I hope if it exist that the theme is variety but also nostalgia. Try to target a large scope of gamers, old PS ones and new.
There are plenty of remakes in the works so nostalgia is covered. There will be new games too in existing franchises and new ones. Plus all the polish that Sony instills in all their games. It'll be joyous!

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
I highly doubt Aniplex wouldn't be interested in releasing a port to the currently best selling console platform in Japan .
We both agree that Aniplex would like its games to be multiplatform. However, we don't agree on the whole group's direction and their synergies goals. The Ghostbusters game can give us a better idea of what we should/can expect moving forward.

Also Tsukihime isn't actually a FATE game, it's a Type Moon game but not FATE.
It's not Fate but it's still part of the Nasuverse and a really beloved Type-Moon franchise. It's much bigger than Everybody's Today Menu for sure.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Gamers should accept that mobile is the number one platform to play games. And if we want the kids to come to us Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft needs to build bridges for this audience.

who's we? i don't want the kids to come to us lmao why do i care

They just had a conference when they showed a shit ton of new AAA single-player games.. like 2 fucking weeks ago lol

come on the signs are there, Yoshida saying consoles are niche, and the Jimbo talk, and all the MP and online jobs from Playstation studios

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of remakes in the works so nostalgia is covered. There will be new games too in existing franchises and new ones. Plus all the polish that Sony instills in all their games. It'll be joyous!
Yeah maybe it is too early to show Sly and Twisted Metal and WipEout, etc... if they are indeed being made but I want a conference like that. Like last years Future of Gaming and PS5 conference.

We had our Gow, Marvel, etc... conference in September.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I wonder if sony having PSX in December and not giving any exclusive reveals to TGA would disincentive giving awards to sony games. Other award shows pretty much will only give awards to people who show up or perform. I wonder if that will eventually happen with TGA

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021

come on the signs are there, Yoshida saying consoles are niche, and the Jimbo talk, and all the MP and online jobs from Playstation studios
About time Sony takes another shot at MP. The balance of the PS3 days is what we need. I like AAA single player games but stuff like TLOU multiplayer is simply >>>>>>>>

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if sony having PSX in December and not giving any exclusive reveals to TGA would disincentive giving awards to sony games. Other award shows pretty much will only give awards to people who show up or perform. I wonder if that will eventually happen with TGA
Who cares for TGA awards?

Give me a new PSX this year. 😄

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm not going to pretend that I'm excited by Sony's triple cheeseburger direction but that is the direction they're taking and I can only hope their F2P, MP and mobile projects aren't 🥱🤮 like Ubisoft's recent mobile announces.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Watched Candyman 1992 and man I love Tony Todd. Guy has a supernatural voice. And since he's in Spidey 2 I'm still on topic🙆‍♂️
I mean Sly being successful and R&C being successful would mean a higher chance of Sony eyeballing a Jak revival.
Like any entertainment company I figure they look to mine any I.P. they have so I can't rule out a return for Jak someday.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Sony revealed two games from Insomniac, one of them way into the future mostly 2024 or beyond! But they didn't show a single thing from ND! this makes me think they are saving them for the PSX event. We know the TLOU remake is coming sooner than later, they could reveal that and also a small teaser of their new IP and the multiplayer game. It'll be ND extravaganza and I'm here for it!!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I would really prefer they leave the game about anime girl battle slavery behind.

They also be a ton of male characters so at least both side will be serve lol

I highly doubt Aniplex wouldn't be interested in releasing a port to the currently best selling console platform in Japan . If anything a mobile version makes a Switch version even more likely since there wouldn't be a graphical downgrade. Genshin Impact even has a Switch port in development. SIE and Sony Music are different companies and unless their leaderships are officially ordered by the main branch, they're not concerned with each other's performance. Yoshida could have his own divisions waste money paying each other for exclusives but it wouldn't make much sense as it would almost certainly be leaving money on the table in Aniplex's case. Also Tsukihime isn't actually a FATE game, it's a Type Moon game but not FATE. That game Everybody's Today Menu on the other hand is a FATE game albeit a spinoff cause it actually has Fate characters. And that's a Switch exclusive. Compared to Monster Hunter, Fate isn't really much of a system seller and even Monster Hunter World couldnt save PS4 in Japan.

The rumors is they having trouble porting it to switch and a fate game could be even more advance .
I don't Aniplex would care that much if it blow up like genshin did .
Which made 2 billion on mobile alone and plus if SIE paying for it i doubt they would have much say either way .
A genshin version of a Fate game is hundreds of million of dollars to make .

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
The rumors is they having trouble porting it to switch and a fate game could be even more advance .
I don't Aniplex would care that much if it blow up like genshin did .
Which made 2 billion on mobile alone and plus if SIE paying for it i doubt they would have much say either way .
A genshin version of a Fate game is hundreds of million of dollars to make .
In that case, we'll have to see if SIE is willing to foot the bill completely for a game based on an Ip most popular first and foremost in Japan.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
If both Jak and Sly come back at some point. I hope just like the PS2 days, within the games they have references to each other.

Rift Apart hit a homerun with that type of stuff you have to say.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Sony revealed two games from Insomniac, one of them way into the future mostly 2024 or beyond! But they didn't show a single thing from ND! this makes me think they are saving them for the PSX event. We know the TLOU remake is coming sooner than later, they could reveal that and also a small teaser of their new IP and the multiplayer game. It'll be ND extravaganza and I'm here for it!!

ND knows that everyone knows their MP is the main project right now. THey're not going to rush into an announcement.
A Wolverine game by Insom would inevitably leak and they had to announce early to avoid that.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
We already know Jimbo's plan. He said it a few months ago.

It's mobile/and by extension F2P.

Exactly. These hot takes are so reaching.

I mean, Sony seems to be doing it already for several of their partners.
Yup, and they clearly had their eye on Kena quite a bit giving the spotlight they gave it and many of the first party studios taking a shine to it. They should definitely be signing their next game as a co-production to keep building that relationship.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021

As the TheRealTalker said, what we are potentially seeing is growth through addition and expansion, not growth through a change in direction through subtraction of another investment they already excel at.
Sony established and flagship studios are operating as usual, working on whatever they want. While partnerships and some new in-house teams are tackling the MP. As for mobile, we still don't know anything about their plans.

Sony needs to attract new demographics and make kids and teenagers interested and engaged with the PS brand to keep their business viable. Otherwise, they will crumble.
That's why first-party platformers and family-friendly titles, even if they sell poorly, are important. They are user acquisition methods for new demographics.

They need to explore new growth areas and adapt to changes in terms of user preferences, technology, and game catalog otherwise they will suffer from stagnation and they will die slowly. The growth of mobile is user preferences change per example.
I think that they are aware of this and doing a pretty good job to remedy their shortcomings. I just want them to invest in other genres they lack too such as RPGs, casual racing games...

I am not a huge multiplayer, nor a mobile games person, but I am excited about what they are doing in general and I will give those titles a fair shot.

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020

I haven't been following the news too much, but is TLOU Remake really a thing? What a waste of resources

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Schreier said the project was handed over to ND after the project floundered at the new san diego studio.
I still personally hope ND just see not much in it and drop it themselves.

There was no new san diego studio. It was in works at VASG. Game development wasn't floundering either.

The budget was higher than other remakes because of the ambitious goals with the remake (changing gameplay too).

More and more ND people joined the team after launching TLoU2 and because they worked on the original game they had more influence on the direction. In the end the project moved under ND lead and budget.

ND isn't going to drop the remake and tell dozens of devs to sit on their hands doing nothing, while leadership team and lead designers are still working on pre production for their next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.