Status
Not open for further replies.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Jim Ryan's comment about how no one in the Middle East and Russia played games before Playstation haven't gone over very well at mainly Twitter from what I can see.

Im now convinced that Jim ryan could literally say anything and it would be controversial.

As if Jim Ryan wouldn't have better gaming data in the 90's about regional gaming than people anecdotes about owning an nes and their friend owning and snes

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony just wants to expand the worth of their I.Ps so it can sell more on their platform then what it is currently.

by making TV/Movies for it and mobile spinoffs you reach more audiences and then bring them to your platform, PS consoles.

They think their games have the potential to sell more like how some, not all Nintendo titles sell. Jim hoping that the PS5 will Sony's best PS reflects that.

It has nothing to do with going multiplat day 1 lol so articles getting all bothered by Sony not committing to day 1 releases on PC or anywhere have themselves to blame.

Maybe they might do it in the future, since the market is ever changing but currently their plans have been clear if you followed their interviews.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Im now convinced that Jim ryan could literally say anything and it would be controversial.

As if Jim Ryan wouldn't have better gaming data in the 90's about regional gaming than people anecdotes about owning an nes and their friend owning and snes
Right lol. Even if he embellished it slightly sometimes I wonder about people in one hand they quickly will embrace misinformation or disinformation but even if someone maybe be a slightly off from the whole truth while there is a lot of substance probably confirming such things they go nuts as well. Lol.
So what was the studio some insider told people Sony would buy this week
They didnt name anyone, They made it vague enough like the crackpot 1-800 psychics they usually are.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Regarding Jimbo's quote.

To me, this is the same stance that Microsoft and Sony have been touting for quite some time.

Trying to get that 2 billion gamer base out their through cloud streaming. In my opinion it's still unrealistic to think an AAA first party game is gonna reach 100+ million players through that.

Only a really tiny tiny percentage of these gamers on mobile devices are actually hardcore gamers that want to play AAA console games on the way. They are also usually already console owners.

Most people want to play mobile games on their mobile devices. Games they can play in short bursts, 5-10 mins at a time without having to pay 100% attention to a deep story or extensive combat. You aren't going to have 100+ million players playing God of War: Ragnarök because you can stream it on your phone.

The game must be designed in the first place to work on both mobile and consoles.

Personally, I don't see much success for cloud gaming for the next 10 years. What is much more promising are native mobile games that work on both console and mobile. Like Genshin impact.
Agree with pretty much everything here

Also Kotaku is washed. Another publication resorting to clickbait in a time of declining ad revenue. More people get video game news from streamers on Twitch

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

Also Kotaku is washed. Another publication resorting to clickbait in a time of declining ad revenue. More people get video game news from streamers on Twitch
yeah, i rarely even go to actual gaming sites/blogs anymore. Twitter and era are pretty mucch all the gaming news i can handle with proper context also. On top of that you have your dozens of weekly gaming podcast for actual discussion

clickbait won't save them

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Kotaku is worthless content wise without Tim.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Apple Arcade has been a massive success, so Sony getting the Head of Content for Apple Arcade to be a VP for their mobile efforts is a really good get and honestly makes me interested to see what they do for their revamped mobile division.

Gonna need receipt for that statement, as far as I'm aware Apple hasn't shared subscription figures for Apple Arcade. They have however cancelled contract and asked developers to make games that will encourage long term engagement. When a company choose not to share numbers it ain't because there doing well.

Apple Cancels Arcade Game Projects As It Seeks Greater Engagement

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Modern Kotaku comes off like this meme personified. Bunch of edgelords who think they're smarter and more clever than everyone else.

thumb_we-should-improve-society-somewhat-yet-you-participate-in-society-63204147.png

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna need receipt for that statement, as far as I'm aware Apple hasn't shared subscription figures for Apple Arcade. They have however cancelled contract and asked developers to make games that will encourage long term engagement. When a company choose not to share numbers it ain't because there doing well.

appleinsider.com

Apple earns more from gaming than Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Activision combined | AppleInsider

Apple's profits from gaming outweighed those of major game companies, according to a report, with Apple earning more from App Store games in its 2019 fiscal year than Nintendo, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, and Sony combined.
they are very successful in gaming.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say gaming, I was specific talking about Apple Arcade.
Well the person was in charge of content at Apple Arcade so it isn't really about the service itself but rather their expertise in acquiring content for said service and we all know that Apple Arcade at least had some good gets.

6-DA399-C4-A453-442-D-8-B56-AD365429-C8-E0.jpg

So said experience could help PS Mobile, content wise. They don't need to make some sub model though.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry Jimbo, I still like you.
It is pretty funny though, at the start of this gen I was siding on being anti Jimbo with how Japan Studio got closed, other things, etc...

But as more information comes out and I see the direction PS is trying to go with their current releases and investments for the future I am being more pro Jimbo.

The funny stuff is that most of the stuff I was anti about him were already being on route of happening before he even inherited the position or are just straight up lies or spins of what he said.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Regarding Jimbo's quote.

To me, this is the same stance that Microsoft and Sony have been touting for quite some time.

Trying to get that 2 billion gamer base out their through cloud streaming. In my opinion it's still unrealistic to think an AAA first party game is gonna reach 100+ million players through that.

Only a really tiny tiny percentage of these gamers on mobile devices are actually hardcore gamers that want to play AAA console games on the way. They are also usually already console owners.

Most people want to play mobile games on their mobile devices. Games they can play in short bursts, 5-10 mins at a time without having to pay 100% attention to a deep story or extensive combat. You aren't going to have 100+ million players playing God of War: Ragnarök because you can stream it on your phone.

The game must be designed in the first place to work on both mobile and consoles.

Personally, I don't see much success for cloud gaming for the next 10 years. What is much more promising are native mobile games that work on both console and mobile. Like Genshin impact.
Agreed...But I also think Jim is saying he finds it frustrating that so many people can't experience TLOU because it's a console game. I think he feels the stories his WWS are telling are up there with big blockbuster movies but they don't reach that audience because of the form factor. I'm not sure how you solve that since movie watching and music is a passive experience. But I do get the sentiment if I was privy to everything all these talented studios are working on wanting to share that with as many as possible. Ultimately, I think you just need to be able to play "playstation" wherever you want. So the streaming stuff is a step in the right direction. Still, not everyone is going to be able to play through some of these epic AAA games just due to complex controls. I think stuff like Animal Crossing, Dreams, Ratchet, Singstar, etc...have a much better chance at reaching massive audiences. You have to hone in on universal gameplay mechanics, which I think Nintendo are still the king.

Also to be fair to MS, they kinda stifled the market some, particularly in the U.S. It would probably just be Nintendo and Sony if PS3 wasn't such a mess up. And if Sony got ALL 3rd party, then yeah, they would be making a lot of money being the only place to play them in the console space. Maybe not hundreds of million like Jimbo talking, but the profits would be higher for sure. This is why Apple makes so much money, EVERYONE is already on the App store. Without MS, that would have happened with Playstation as Nintendo makes unique hardware that 3rd parties often skip.

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Well the person was in charge of content at Apple Arcade so it isn't really about the service itself but rather his expertise in acquiring content for said service and we all know that Apple Arcade at least had some good gets.

So said experience could help PS Mobile, content wise. They don't need to make some sub model though.
Man, one hell of a career. From intern to Vice President in 10 years. He/She must have been an MBA intern with years of prior work experience before going to Ubisoft.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well the person was in charge of content at Apple Arcade so it isn't really about the service itself but rather his expertise in acquiring content for said service and we all know that Apple Arcade at least had some good gets.

Still part of that is because how big Apple ecosystem is hardware wise .
So it going to be interesting to see how Sony mobile efforts go .

Agreed...But I also think Jim is saying he finds it frustrating that so many people can't experience TLOU because it's a console game. I think he feels the stories his WWS are telling are up there with big blockbuster movies but they don't reach that audience because of the form factor. I'm not sure how you solve that since movie watching and music is a passive experience. But I do get the sentiment if I was privy to everything all these talented studios are working on wanting to share that with as many as possible. Ultimately, I think you just need to be able to play "playstation" wherever you want. So the streaming stuff is a step in the right direction. Still, not everyone is going to be able to play through some of these epic AAA games just due to complex controls. I think stuff like Animal Crossing, Dreams, Ratchet, Singstar, etc...have a much better chance at reaching massive audiences. You have to hone in on universal gameplay mechanics, which I think Nintendo are still the king.

I think even games with complex controls could have millions more playing with how much option something like TLOU2 .
I don't expect AAA console games to have mobile numbers but i can see them getting a rather big jump thanks to streaming .

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

I was more referring to Apple's gaming revenue dwarfing that of Microsoft and Sony. Since the guy Sony hired to help spearhead their rejuvenated mobile gaming division was a key figure in Apple's gaming efforts, I thought it was a smart move to poach a key executive from one of the biggest (and overlooked) names in mobile gaming. Apple's business practices are terrible, but I wasn't really referring to that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This shouldn't be against forum rules right, don't mind me, just going to use this post as an online reminder for games to tackle. Busy life atm...lol

- Finish Ratchet and Clank (maybe go for Plat if it's easy)
- Play Kena (definitely plat)
- Play Hollow Knight
- Play Concrete Genie (maybe plat)
- Play A Plague Tale (maybe plat)
- Play Deathloop
- Play Nioh 2
- Play Ghost of Tsushima DE (Plat if easy)
- Play Hades
- Play Yakuza 0 or Like a Dragon

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I was more referring to Apple's gaming revenue dwarfing that of Microsoft and Sony. Since the guy Sony hired to help spearhead their rejuvenated mobile gaming division was a key figure in Apple's gaming efforts, I thought it was a smart move to poach a key executive from one of the biggest (and overlooked) names in mobile gaming. Apple's business practices are terrible, but I wasn't really referring to that.

My mistake, Apple does dwarf the consoles. Missed that $15.6 billion was just Apple's cut.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I truly envy Jim's ability to melt brains by just speaking. How do I acquire such power?
I think people just hate Sony for whatever reasons or grudges and want to pick a fight with them and so Jim is a perfect scapegoat for that.
Even if he talks about his favourite food, etc...

Should we feel pity for that? Not really Sony is a massive company that can handle itself but it is annoying when any little things regardless of how tame and broad it is can lead to spin off articles and hot takes on how bad Sony or Jim are when the context of said information has nothing to do with that.

I mean it is either this or the whole Sony is doomed comments. I rather take Arrogant Sony comments then the latter.

It isn't like these comments will effect Sony's clear vision on what they have for the PS5 and what objectives they want to tackle anyways.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I am glad

I think people just hate Sony for whatever reasons or grudges and want to pick a fight with them and so Jim is a perfect scapegoat for that.
Even if he talks about his favourite food, etc...

Should we feel pity for that? Not really Sony is a massive company that can handle itself but it is annoying when any little things regardless of how tame and broad it is can lead to spin off articles and hot takes on how bad Sony or Jim are when the context of said information has nothing to do with that.

I mean it is either this or the whole Sony is doomed comments.

I rather take Arrogant Sony comments the latter.
Im surprised they didnt latch on to the best launch lineup ever etc. he said lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If they lack material in a week they can maybe cling to that next.
Yep lol you would think the guy commit war atrocities how some got mad about his who wants to play this old ass game quote.
I refuse to play FFVII the OG because of how ugly it is to me lmao I cant take it lol. call me a graphics snob but early 3d PS1- early PS3 Era games are so ugly and I'm happy to see more and more brought forward.
2D games? Those are pretty much timeless.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yep lol you would think the guy commit war atrocities how some got mad about his who wants to play this old ass game quote.
I refuse to play FFVII the OG because of how ugly it is to me lmao I cant take it lol. call me a graphics snob but early 3d PS1- early PS3 Era games are so ugly and I'm happy to see more and more brought forward.
or how they try and spin him off as some rich guy that just got into the industry a year ago when he was there since the beginning for PS and went through its ups and downs

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

or how they try and spin him off as some rich guy that just got into the industry a year ago when he was there since the beginning for PS and went through its ups and downs
You guys don't get it! He's rich so he's practically just Donald Trump Jr. /s

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
the irony is the guy has been working at playsattion longer than some of them have been alive
😂true

he has a ton of experience under his belt and likely a ton of good things for the EU PS branch thanks to him

probably a ton of people look to his experience and expertise in the industry

Sony didn't chose him for no reason, he has a track record and has got a ton of things done

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
What's Kotaku's point? PS5 isn't accessible enough for Jimbo's comments about reaching more people to be valid or something? Also, I don't really get how anyone can hate this dude after that frank interview. I think Phil Spencer has a really smug face and kinda feels like he's lying all the time, but I don't hate them, they are PR mode when they speak to fans and interact on twitter. But you see small glimpses into how they really are with interviews and they all at least like what they are doing and love gaming like us. That should be enough for normal folks to not have so much animosity towards any of these top execs.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
A lot of people just don't understand how Sony just isn't governed to have a revolutionary leader completely overhaul an entire division of a multinational conglomerate. "Well if Jim Ryan wants hundreds of millions of people playing PlayStation games, he should just work to create a new Game Pass!" Sony clearly doesn't work like that. There's no reason for Sony to overhaul how they conduct business in the gaming industry because they are still the market leader. Instead of overhauling SIE, Jim Ryan and the rest of the executive board at Sony are carefully calculating what are the best ways to expand their business without disrupting anything so they could come closer to reaching an even more ubiquitous market. Mobile gaming shows a lot of promise so they are working to develop a large footprint in that market that also enhances their core business. Same thing for PC gaming. Same thing for film and television. Sony is very deliberately integrating the PlayStation brand in different markets to expand their global mindshare. It's still experimental, but it's not particularly exciting to pay attention to compared to what Microsoft is doing with Game Pass. Is that a bad thing? Of course not, but it's still a distinct method of expanding an already powerful gaming brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.