• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eFKac92

Apr 8, 2021
Has anyone tried and can recommend The Touryst? Interested in it, but can't find many impressions on the PS5 version.

I'm sure there was a thread named something like "The Tourist at 8k on PS5" on Era and there was some discussion about the PS5 version in general there. That would probably be the best place to check for impressions.

Edit. There was actually a digital foundry analysis of the game, so best source on the technical side of the PS5 version.
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry: The Touryst on PS5 is the first game to run at native 8K@60 FPS on a console News

written, so I probably won't do a summary https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-touryst-8k-60fps-on-ps5

Last edited:

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, here are some alternative thoughts on what we heard in that radio interview:

The women speaking could be considered an unreliable source despite her involvement in the development of a game. She states that she is not a gamer so you have to open up the possibility that her language could mean different things. As others have mentioned, when people aren't into gaming they can use PlayStation instead of games console - especially in the UK/ROI where PlayStation is the most popular brand. This is similar to how Nintendo started using the term Video Games Console in the 80s, so people didn't call games consoles Nintendo's - fucking with their trademark. It happens.

Secondly, she uses the term remake. This is a little specific for me not to be a remake but could she also mean sequel? Michael McGlynn, the composer she spoke about working with, has done music for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Diablo III - we know that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is in production per Jenna Coleman's interview that says as much and Diablo IV is announced. Could Michael McGlynn have been asked to return for either of these games?

Just something to think about, I'd like to jump on that MGS hype train right enough.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Please feel free to correct me but I've read from many users of getting deals on GP. The idea being that MS is looking for users. If I am wrong please help me.

or make fun of my ignorance.
Its $1 for a one time conversion of live gold balance to game pass ultimate. So $60 per year for max of 3 years.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
So the studio count is currently at 53 lots of ex Assassins Creed devs and Rainbow Six Siege & Watch Dogs.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
The Jade interview was really interesting, especially towards the end where she kind of dropped some info about what the philosophy behind their game is. Seems like it involves UGC but they're also aiming to get a strong IP behind it too. She also talks about the "Remix Generation" with things like people customising and remixing other people's content (specifically refers to TikTok) and wanting to make a strong IP whilst maintaining the ability for people to express themselves. Kind of getting LBP vibes, but considering the experience of a lot of their staff I'm guessing it's going to be more of an action game spin on it. Actually really interested in seeing how this game ends up, if only because it could literally be anything at this point.

Also interesting that she speaks about Assassin's Creed IP being set up so that different teams could leave their stamp on it. Something along the lines of "as long as it's set during a real point in history and has assassins in it".

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
The Jade interview was really interesting, especially towards the end where she kind of dropped some info about what the philosophy behind their game is. Seems like it involves UGC but they're also aiming to get a strong IP behind it too. She also talks about the "Remix Generation" with things like people customising and remixing other people's content (specifically refers to TikTok) and wanting to make a strong IP whilst maintaining the ability for people to express themselves. Kind of getting LBP vibes, but considering the experience of a lot of their staff I'm guessing it's going to be more of an action game spin on it. Actually really interested in seeing how this game ends up, if only because it could literally be anything at this point.

Also interesting that she speaks about Assassin's Creed IP being set up so that different teams could leave their stamp on it. Something along the lines of "as long as it's set during a real point in history and has assassins in it".

Excuse my ignorance but whats UGC?

yukihirasouma

Mar 11, 2018

She also spoke about the game spanning generations and having a strong social element to it, so I'm guessing a live service game having multiplayer elements and some sort of creation and sharing tools? Also she pointed to next gen visuals having a big impact (hence why they want to expand their team)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If you want an idea about the high level ideas that excites the Haven team, and some examples, you can read her op-ed she cited in the talk itself here:
https://future.a16z.com/fans-drive-hit-ips/

If you've no time, the tldr is that games that interest her (and the team) in the landscape are stuff like Valheim, Animal Crossing, Fortnight Creative, or Minecraft.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want an idea about the high level ideas that excites the Haven team, and some examples, you can read her op-ed she cited in the talk itself here:
https://future.a16z.com/fans-drive-hit-ips/

If you've no time, the tldr is that games that interest her (and the team) in the landscape are stuff like Valheim, Animal Crossing, Fortnight Creative, or Minecraft.
Welp sounds like my kinda team to pay attention to for now.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
I'd love some creative non-violent world with AAA, mature (not like Animal Crossing) aesthetic. I like fighting etc but I'd like something more relaxing, that doesn't have this basic kid style, or at least one on the level of Kena.

weird sands in the water causes eruptions on the toes..be careful..loss of trees
What, is it a clue? I don't get this thread, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone in the UK is looking for a deal on PSN credit, Eneba are currently offering £100 for £87.
They add a processing fee, but you can usually find a 3% discount code easily.
Their deals fluctuate constantly. I keep an eye on their prices and usually load up on credit if the discount exceeds 10%, so this is a pretty good one, IMO.

Link.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
If anyone in the UK is looking for a deal on PSN credit, Eneba are currently offering £100 for £87.
They add a processing fee, but you can usually find a 3% discount code easily.
Their deals fluctuate constantly. I keep an eye on their prices and usually load up on credit if the discount exceeds 10%, so this is a pretty good one, IMO.

Link.
Eneba is amazing. I bought EA Play and PS Now on that site.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
Anyway, you know how a few months back PlayStation Studios was hiring for a head of mobile?

He was hired as of 4 months ago.

A great get for PlayStation.
Given his experience, I am wondering if PS is thinking about launching a subscription service, specifically for mobile games, similar to Apple Arcade and Play Pass. It seems reasonable to me.

Additionally, I am curious about their mobile expansion plans. I assume that they are looking for "core" mobile games (similar to COD Mobile, Honor of Kings...) and planning to have dedicated internal teams for mobile development.

I think that they are planning a major acquisition for mobile to accelerate their plans. There are a few teams with AAA mobile experiences. Other than Tencent or NetEase subsidiaries, I can't think of anyone besides Lilith Games and miHoYo.

The next few years will be interesting, to say the least. Mobile, e-sports, and live streaming (I feel that Sony wants its own video games live-streaming service for some reason) will be major investments areas for SIE.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I have a good feeling Sony will have a digital PSX.
They have so much releasing early next year, I just wonder how long before they will announce it.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
That's a lot of money.

This won't have any effects on Sony acquisitions plans and budget. Besides the 18B for Strategic investments, Sony has allocated 1.5 Trillion Yen for Capital Expenditure, mainly for the Semiconductor Business.

From their Corporate Report:
In the fourth mid-range plan, we have established a capital expenditure target of ¥1.5 trillion and a strategic investment target of ¥2 trillion or more, to further accelerate investment.
Additionally, Sony will be a minority shareholder and will provide the land therefore their contribution won't be significant. Still, this is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.