Status
Not open for further replies.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah she did seem very confident that she knew it was a big game. Exciting, at least one more announcement this year, maybe another showcase. If so, I'll have to eat my hat because I said it wouldn't happen lol.

Might just be the game awards? Guess we'll see. And plans can change with announcements as we know.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Might just be the game awards? Guess we'll see. And plans can change with announcements as we know.
That actually makes way more sense. And if it is the MGS Remake announcement, I can definitely see Keighley being involved, but I guess he's more a Kojima associate than Konami.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, sorry for derailing again the thread but I have to share with you all a message from QueenVulpix (she asked me if I could share it):
[Hidden content]

I really hope she's doing okay, and sending her all the positive energy and vibes. One of the most pleasant people on this forum, so I'm definitely going to miss her!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I tried more or less to transcript the part they talk about the game, probably not perfect because the quality is a bit shitty so it's hard to understand but here:

''Just go back on that Playstation game, what's about that?''

''So that actually happened about a year and half ago, just after the pandemic hit, Michael McGlynn got in touch and we were writing music for a remake of a Playstation game, he's done a lot of writing for different games that very well known. He said ''look, it's an Irish Language and this is what they are looking for'', so really what I was involved with was the lyric writing in the Irish language, and his daughter sang on the track and his wife arranged part of the chorus, Michael also worked with me in the language side of things…for ages I wasn't allowed to know, you don't know what you are writing for since it's all undisclosed because they don't want to get out, it's actually going to be announced in Christmas the name of the game. I've heard about it now and confirmed it is a big game, which is great! It's going to be an Irish in the game, which is brilliant.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I tried more or less to transcript the part they talk about the game, probably not perfect because the quality is a bit shitty so it's hard to understand but here:

''Just go back on that Playstation game, what's about that?''

''So that actually happened about a year and half ago, just after the pandemic hit, Michael McGlynn got in touch and we were writing music for a remake of a Playstation game, he's done a lot of writing for different games that very well known. He said ''look, it's an Irish Language and this is what they are looking for'', so really what I was involved with was the lyric writing in the Irish language, and his daughter sang on the track and his wife arranged part of the chorus, Michael also worked with me in the language side of things…for ages I wasn't allowed to know, you don't know what you are writing for since it's all undisclosed because they don't want to get out, it's actually going to be announced in Christmas the name of the game. I've heard about it now and confirmed it is a big game, which is great! It's going to be an Irish in the game, which is brilliant.

Thanks. That's the main gist of it from what I listened to. Are we thinking MGS per that other poster only recalling a Gaelic song within games being MGS?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I have a laptop and a desktop that's plugged into my TV that sits next to my PS5 and when I get home at night, I turn on the PS5 over my PC. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard too. Idk what it is, but it just a lot easier even with my set up. Also, one thing that does bother me when I game on PC, is that there can be lots going on in the background where a game can crash because you forgot to close something, or you'll occasionally get that update notification too. It's little dumb things like that where I don't have to deal with, despite PC being a brilliant platform to game on. Also, I can get sidetracked when I turn my computer on.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That actually makes way more sense. And if it is the MGS Remake announcement, I can definitely see Keighley being involved, but I guess he's more a Kojima associate than Konami.

Definitely. I still can't see Kojima being involved in any way, but I guess purely through his association with MGS and friendship with Keighley it would make sense.

Edit: Is it just the Virtuous remake then?

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to the interview there as well. And idk I guess just because she's calling it a Playstation game doesn't necessarily mean it's made by Sony or just a PS game. A lot of casual people probably just calls it a Playstation game despite it perhaps being on multiple platforms.

Interesting she said remake though.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
A remake in Ireland 🤔
Without the remake thing, Uncharted goes to random locations so it would have been that. The one on hold.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Listened to the interview there as well. And idk I guess just because she's calling it a Playstation game doesn't necessarily mean it's made by Sony or just a PS game. A lot of casual people probably just calls it a Playstation game despite it perhaps being on multiple platforms.

In France it isn't uncommon for non players to say "PlayStation" instead of "console".

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I can see that for sure. My only tether to it is that Konami are cheap as fuck, and they are publishing the Virtuous MGS project. It might be another SH situation where they farm out the IP to multiple studios/publishers, along with the Xmas reveal lining up with the Game Awards a.k.a Kojima's best friend.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Well, what seems certain is that it is a remake, includes Gaelic lyrics, and is - at least currently - planned to be announced around Xmas (Game Awards).

if its soft confirmation of a psx show thats good enough for me. I dont care about the game so much

it would be interesting for sure, it would be sony would be most likely skipping TGA also (if it is indeed PSX)

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Huh? I am pretty sure Sony made it clear what this was.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I said it a while back but I'm now automatically skeptical of any rumor that includes the following: MGS, Silent Hill, Bloodborne

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I said it a while back but I'm now automatically skeptical of any rumor that includes the following: MGS, Silent Hill, Bloodborne

For sure. All we know is it's a remake, big title, possibly revealed around Xmas, and she's associating it with PS (whether it actually is, or using PS as a stand in for consoles we don't know). The link with MGS is due to a song 'The Best is Yet to Come' from the original, in Gaelic.

Edit: bit more smoke than random internet chatter TBH.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Ok I actually listened to it now.

Yeah this is legit, and she really has no idea that she coudn't have said that lol
Reminds me of the newspaper that leaked GoTsu game, but in that case no one noticed.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm starting to believe even harder in a digital PSX showcase in December. There's too much we don't know that we can't be in the dark for like a year again.
Ahah I'm a believer since that rumor appeared. Now I don't believe the second part of that rumor (Sony japan studio build up from scratch), it's so unbelievable that it's fake. But PSX? Sure.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

That's the song. But I wonder what it means since she mentioned writing the Gaelic lyrics for the track in this game remake.

Edit: thinking on it more, Bluepoint did update the original Demon's Souls score on the remake (example, not associating them with it).

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I dunno why so many are linking Jimbo's statement directly to day and date PC releases. He's clearly talking (at least primarily) about streaming, and he's talking down the line. And yeah, Sony is going to have to beef up its streaming options as Xcloud and Amazon and Tencent and (maybe) Google continue to push their tech. I'm not saying consoles are going away anytime soon, but ten years from now any company that only has its games locked behind a $500 device is going to look like a dinosaur when there will be multiple streaming services putting out good quality 4k video at a relatively smooth framerate. The company has to be looking into those options now, because it's going to take years to establish them.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I dunno why so many are linking Jimbo's statement directly to day and date PC releases

literally every piece of PR that comes out of sony these days people equate it with day 1 PC releases even when they say the opposite.

we all know sony has been thinking about streaming/cloud services for a while now. I played TLOU for the first time on my mac computer using PSNow in like 2014 or 15? They aren't just deciding any of this stuff because microsoft beat them to the punch.

not saying thats what you're saying btw, i just think its weird. People love sony games but don't want to buy the hardware, yet no one makes the same claims for nintendo

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
literally every piece of PR that comes out of sony these days people equate it with day 1 PC releases even when they say the opposite.

we all know sony has been thinking about streaming/cloud services for a while now. I played TLOU for the first time on my mac computer using PSNow in like 2014 or 15? They aren't just deciding any of this stuff because microsoft beat them to the punch.

not saying thats what you're saying btw, i just think its weird. People love sony games but don't want to buy the hardware, yet no one makes the same claims for nintendo

Exactly. I'm first and foremost a console user, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but I'd be naive to say that streaming tech isn't eventually going to play a huge role in the gaming industry going forward. Look at how much better movie streaming tech has become over the last decade, I watched Black Widow on Disney Plus last night and it had a crisp 4k picture that might not be quite as good as a 4k disc, but was close enough that most people aren't going to tell the difference. Game streaming ten years from now is going to look and feel much better than it does today, and most consumers are likely going to find it an acceptable way to consume their games, while us hardcore types are going to keep playing our bleeding edge consoles and (even more so) PCs.

For Sony to neglect that inevitability would be dangerous for them down the road. They need to be thinking about the future now, even if it's quite a few years away.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Could that Remake maybe be Medievil 2? I never played it but it's partly inspired by arthurian legend, right?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Exactly. I'm first and foremost a console user, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but I'd be naive to say that streaming tech isn't eventually going to play a huge role in the gaming industry going forward. Look at how much better movie streaming tech has become over the last decade, I watched Black Widow on Disney Plus last night and it had a crisp 4k picture that might not be quite as good as a 4k disc, but was close enough that most people aren't going to tell the difference. Game streaming ten years from now is going to look and feel much better than it does today, and most consumers are likely going to find it an acceptable way to consume their games, while us hardcore types are going to keep playing our bleeding edge consoles and (even more so) PCs.

For Sony to neglect that inevitability would be dangerous for them down the road. They need to be thinking about the future now, even if it's quite a few years away.

sony has been highly adaptable for over 25 years now, they aren't gonna end up like blockbuster next gen because they let streaming get ahead of them. They are making deal with netflix, and 5000 other tech companies these days, they are clearly aware that the wind is blowing in the other direction.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Funnily Folklore would make a lot of sense if they're after Irish Gaelic. It's the only game I can think of that's actually set in Ireland. Would also be an interesting one for Bluepoint to play with since it could be their chance to show if they could actually modernise an old game rather than making a 1:1 remake or remaster.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Funnily Folklore would make a lot of sense if they're after Irish Gaelic. It's the only game I can think of that's actually set in Ireland. Would also be an interesting one for Bluepoint to play with since it could be their chance to show if they could actually modernise an old game rather than making a 1:1 remake or remaster.
[/QUOTE]

I would love that, as I adore Folklore, but I think the collective reaction around the internet would be, "what lore?"

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I would love that, as I adore Folklore, but I think the collective reaction around the internet would be, "what lore?"

Oh definitely, no one would have a clue what the hell it is, so it's unlikely that unless her friends are massive PS3 dorks. Haven't even played it myself (though have been meaning to if I ever see it cheap to pick up).

Last edited:

Zaywop

Dec 19, 2020
Sony's statements about reaching a larger audience than those who bought a hardware console has been the same since they bought gaikai in 2012. They want to expand the user base beyond the requirement to buy expensive hardware using PSNow. Porting games to PC have very limited growth potential, since it suffers the same issue as consoles... the hardware investment required from the user is even bigger on PC.

There's a good reason their buying spree contains studios specialized in porting. It continues to allow the console/psnow games to be developed unencumbered with a single hardware target. The port happens after, and by a separate studio, so they still get some money/mindshare for these titles without canibalizing the console user base, nor hindering the studios development and artistic vision. It's a reasonable balancing act which they claim is working so far (in the sense that console sales remain very high and there's no canibalization).

For ports, the PS5's SSD and IO subsystem couldn't be matched by a PC when the PS5 launched in 2020, however PCs will soon have a direct-io SSD API, and decompression through the GPU. You can always brute force these things, but it needs standardized APIs that are not ready, and hardware requirements that are not widespread. So requiring that I/O capability means selling a game to a small fraction of PC gamers, or otherwise seriously compromize the quality if they target older spec PCs. This will be solved soon.

Nintendo is not powerful enough, so it probably won't get much ports.

Xbox is tied to mandatory compatibility with XBSS so porting might be more difficult for some titles. It's also a direct competitor which risk canibalization. It's doubtful they'll ever port anything to xbox, at least this gen.
This was a good post to think through it comprehensively, cheers!
Man I hope this means they improved the save system.

I doubt Jim Ryan is talking about PC ports. He's talking about streaming and mobile.
I think in the future you will be able to buy and play Uncharted 5 on PS Now, without owning a PS5 or PS6.
You just need a controller.

I think Jim Ryan's desire to see 100s of millions of players speaks more to their plans for streaming rather than native ports to the PC. There may be many millions of additional PC players out there, but those with hardware that will play high end AAA games is a smaller segment of that population. So hardware is still a barrier to entry with that approach compared to streaming to a TV or a set-top box or a lower end PC.

I didn't even think of streaming being the focus there, good shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.