Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see the math in the future with Call of Duty. The number of players that were on PS. How many of those move to PC/Xbox. I feel like you'd see less number of sales in the long run. Either way, Sony still has a lot to offer. The whole doom and gloom is nonsense.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Sony can't compete with MS in overall content, the only thing you can do is make it an attractive platform. A publisher like SE and/or Capcom helps with that. It won't match CoD but it helps boost Sony FP which is the only thing they can use to survive. If they really want to match CoD, they need to go after EA or T2 since they're the only ones with mega franchises

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
When Sony buys a publusher the whole "at least MS puts games on PC so their consolidation is ok!" excuse won't be valid with PlayStation's PC ports being a thing.
Speaking of I really hope sony starts putting PC Ports on steam same day.

Imagine how huge ragnorak's release would be hitting Steam and Playstation at the same time.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
There's only 1 big publisher that would get me to purchase an Xbox again, i know people may disagree with me, but for me it'll be Ubisoft. And that's only because of the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
At this point Sony will be next on the purchase list. Thankfully I don't think it's possible as some law in Japan, seriously though this is worrying. This man Phil Spencer said he doesn't like exclusives a few years ago and it's bad for gaming, how does this fall In line with that way of thinking.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think Sony can make more than one major publisher acquisition without taking on a lot of debt that will put them at risk. Buying multiple sounds like panic buying people want them to do, rather than realistic. But I do think Sony's first party is enticing enough to stand on its own for now. It's not Nintendo first party but it's very valuable stuff that people covet because it's providing some of the highest quality AAA games out there right now, especially geared towards adult genres.

Long term, I do think Sony as the market leader is done. Doesn't mean they can't be a highly successful company in this space though, either as a major subscription platform, software provider, or just carving out their 2nd place platform.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I don't see one the one option that would become considerably more likely if this deal goes through being discussed here. Sony accepts Gamepass and makes you require ps plus to use it and MS makes all its games available on PS. I would have said it's impossible before, but there comes a time when it would be advantageous for the two to come together. I believe MS is more than willing to make that happen, and likely even sees this as a strategy to that end.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I hope this isn't seen as platform warring or trolling because I'm invested in the Playstation ecosystem and I value their first party games but the only hardware manufacturer whose 1st party games qualify as their "bread and butter" are Nintendo. Sony's first party studios are healthy, diverse and productive but despite similar hardware sales they can't touch the sales of Nintendo games. That's not to say that Sony can't get or shouldn't get there at some point, but as ridiculous as it sounds they need a full row of 25-30 million unit selling franchises like Nintendo. As I said, I believe they can get there and they are currently on the path to get there with games like Spider-Man, The Last of Us and God of War but they need more of those kind of franchises and the ones they have need to sell even better.

I'm also not subscribing to the "Sony is doomed" takes out there by the way but this aquisition has the potential to damage Sony's position in the marketplace because Playstation has become the home of Call of Duty during the PS4 generation and that played a huge role in extending Playstation's lead in Europe and outselling Xbox in English speaking countries. On the other hand, Playstation becoming the home of Call of Duty was a reaction to strong Playstation sales (and money hats of course) so who knows what unlikely partnerships PS5's early sales lead brings to the table.
That early sales lead might not mean much now. This is industry changing news, and believe that every 3rd Party is evaluating their relationships and revising console sales predictions as we speak based on what happens moving forward. PlayStation's position is absolutely threatened but it's a wait and see on the actual fallout. But I will agree, a lot of people need to stop pretending PlayStation can coast on their 1st party. They can't. They aren't and won't be like Nintendo. They aren't dropping titles that sell 30 million at $60 nor are they producing yearly 15- 20 million sellers.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Speaking of I really hope sony starts putting PC Ports on steam same day.

Imagine how huge ragnorak's release would be hitting Steam and Playstation at the same time.

And the value of owning a PlayStation console

marinha-portuguesa-drone-fail.gif

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I have been saying for years that Sony should divest SPE and double down on Gaming and NS. I have suggested everything from SE to Activision as sales target. MS is not playing around and I feel very confident ATVI is not their last big purchase. IMO SE and Capcom is thinking small. Sony should be targeting EA or TTWO.
You have been consistent on that front!

I think if Sony really wants to be relevant in entertainment, the eventual WBD is probably the best bet, to bolster SIE and SPE.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Sony will be next on the purchase list. Thankfully I don't think it's possible as some law in Japan, seriously though this is worrying. This man Phil Spencer said he doesn't like exclusives a few years ago and it's bad for gaming, how does this fall In line with that way of thinking.
Again he's a pr mouthpiece. All executives are. He's going to say what he needs to to look good in the public eye. In reality, just like any executive, is the he wants his company to crush the competition

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
EA Market Cap is up with 5%.

1. Because they are option for Sony?
2. Because they will expand their market share because of Activision-Blizzard acquisition?

Sony is down with 7%, which shows how critical is that deal for PlayStation.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to see the math in the future with Call of Duty. The number of players that were on PS. How many of those move to PC/Xbox. I feel like you'd see less number of sales in the long run. Either way, Sony still has a lot to offer. The whole doom and gloom is nonsense.
Well it's not nonsense, you have to be beyond delusional to not think MS getting Bethesda and Activision isn't a massive deal. Sony will still be making money, but they're not going to be dominating the market like they have for 3/4 generations moving forward. Especially since at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if MS is targeting SquareEnix, Ubisoft, and EA next.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Some are saying here and on other sites that Spartacus would be an answer to the gamepass, and that after this nuke they would delay the release of the new levels.
Honestly, I already imagine different: that Sony has prepared an amazing Spartacus and good new levels because of this acquisition. If true, the thing is how big the effect is caused by the Spartacus news, as good as they are, after this mega news.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I hope this isn't seen as platform warring or trolling because I'm invested in the Playstation ecosystem and I value their first party games but the only hardware manufacturer whose 1st party games qualify as their "bread and butter" are Nintendo. Sony's first party studios are healthy, diverse and productive but despite similar hardware sales they can't touch the sales of Nintendo games. That's not to say that Sony can't get or shouldn't get there at some point, but as ridiculous as it sounds they need a full row of 25-30 million unit selling franchises like Nintendo. As I said, I believe they can get there and they are currently on the path to get there with games like Spider-Man, The Last of Us and God of War but they need more of those kind of franchises and the ones they have need to sell even better.

I'm also not subscribing to the "Sony is doomed" takes out there by the way but this aquisition has the potential to damage Sony's position in the marketplace because Playstation has become the home of Call of Duty during the PS4 generation and that played a huge role in extending Playstation's lead in Europe and outselling Xbox in English speaking countries. On the other hand, Playstation becoming the home of Call of Duty was a reaction to strong Playstation sales (and money hats of course) so who knows what unlikely partnerships PS5's early sales lead brings to the table.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony got wind of these deals sometime ago hence why they started to focus on distinguishing their games as quality experiences. It must be ridiculously hard to keep takeover deals like these secret. Even if they didn't know the specifics they must have been aware MS was looking to spend cash. Distinguishing their titles like they have is the same approach Nintendo have taken, and it's worked really well for them. Against 'gamer odds' Nintendo are hugely successful, I guess they have the added benefit of being the only real family orientated console too, but they have managed to carve out their own space and be market leader for some time. I think carefully maintaining those titles (sony)with a renewed focus on publishing/partnering/highlighting interesting games they could actually be alright. It's what sold people on the ps4 and it whats sold people on the switch. When Sony have their backs against the wall it's when they normally at their best, creatively and from a business perspective. They could easily be the gamers choice'. Microsoft are buying IPs. There will be a focus on making sure their are CoD, Skyrims etc titles being delivered, which is fantastic for casuals and Microsoft bottom line, but the hardcore crowd may be a little bored of that.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Ugh, I get where you're going but I hate this concept of consolidation necessitates consolidation.
The other alternative is nearly what Sony has been doing, building up new talent. But that takes a lot of time and Sony cannot just sit around for that long. So in the short term, it do be like that sadly. Hilarious that people are so averse to Amazon, Google entering the industry and just throwing money around to make it happen, but MS is already here and doing the same thing.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
EA Market Cap is up with 5%.

1. Because they are option for Sony?
2. Because they will expand their market share because of Activision-Blizzard acquisition?

Sony is down with 7%, which shows how critical is that deal for PlayStation.
Funny, 5% + 7%- = 12 % more expensive for Sony. Shows how slow they are, they should have acted yesterday!.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

It is PR.
Every company does it.

He also said that he will think about actions against Acitivision.

Well, actually he took actions...

Sony is most of the time bad at PR.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
I think the more curious question is: If you are Sony do you let Gamepass onto your system? It solves some problems but obviously is letting the fox into the henhouse.

I mean, Sony really needs to figure out what they want their identity to be. Microsoft just bought a company half the size of Sony. There really isn't a "throw money around" solution for Sony. Buying Squeenix or Sega is possible but I don't think either of those acquisitions really changes the landscape much.

I think the "right move" for Sony is to continue to invest in first party and go for pure quality over quantity.

Either that or they are going to need to get really creative with financing and try and swallow Take Two or EA + a Sega/Ubi/Capcom/Squeenix which gets them in the neighborhood of the size of deals MS has pulled off. The problem being you are taking about Sony pulling in 50% additional market cap which likely means heavy debt financing which is extremely risky - and something that nearly took Sony down a decade ago.
I think this is a great post that sums up much of my thoughts.

Re: should Sony let Game Pass onto PlayStation, I can see the shorter term appeal (people will still want to buy PS consoles), but in the longer term software and IP is going to be much more important than the hardware it's running on. And by introducing Game Pass to your 100m customers you're giving the competition a massive step up.

Sony was never going to be able to retain any kind of market leadership in gaming in the longer term once big tech got involved.

It should focus on becoming the HBO of games imo - high quality IP that people care about, but obviously not on the scale of a Netflix.

Or PS could eventually get spun off to Apple / Amazon / Google.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Since guerrilla released the new episode of the podcast, what do you think we will get ( as per shinobi's hype gif) this week?? modiz any prediction??

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
The issue isnt about the games you or I or a niche enthusiast forum like us like. We aren't the massive number of people that buy CoD yearly. While it does not affect us now, it has long lasting effects on the industry but also on the playstation whether you like to admit it or not

I honestly think the people dismissing how earth shattering this is for the industry are delusional.

MS just bought a yearly franchise that sells 20-30 million copies. And World of Warcraft. And Diablo. Overwatch has sold over 2x more copies than God of War.

I don't think it's possible to emphasise enough how huge a blow this is to PlayStation.

I honestly couldn't care less about Cod, I haven't played one in 15 years, but I'm not naive enough to think that means this deal isn't massive and that it won't negatively affect PlayStation in a pretty drastic fashion.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
All I'll say is Sony needs to grow their first party and small studios to grow just aren't enough. SE, SEGA, and Capcom should be looked at minimum if EA and/or T2 are too expensive or don't want to sell.

I honestly think the people dismissing how earth shattering this is for the industry are delusional.

MS just bought a yearly franchise that sells 20-30 million copies. And World of Warcraft. And Diablo. Overwatch has sold over 2x more copies than God of War.

I don't think it's possible to emphasise enough how huge a blow this is to PlayStation.

I honestly couldn't care less about Cod, I haven't played one in 15 years, but I'm not naive enough to think that means this deal isn't massive and that it won't negatively affect PlayStation in a pretty drastic fashion.
This what I'm saying. A lot of people here are more into great single player games. Cool so am I but people have to recognize how earth shattering this is

Jul 17, 2018
The Activision deal sucks, but the trend it is about to create really worries me. There is a real possibility now that publishers like Ubisoft, EA and Rockstar games will be targeted.

Assassins Creed, FIFA, GTA being locked to one platform divides friends and communities - many of whom won't be able to purchase a second console, or risk their library of games, because they feel forced to 2-years into a generation. What then, you have to now only multiple consoles to play COD and [insert a massive 3rd party franchise]?

There are two possibilities going forward.
  • Sony ignore these developments and lose revenue, and potentially users as more publishers are purchased. Gamers lose out.
  • Sony are bought out by a larger entity [Apple/Facebook/Google], and go on a spending spree, taking publishers. Gamers lose out.
Again more overacting smdh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so what publishers make up most of the market?

Microsoft would need to buy EA, Ubisoft, and Take-Two and probably a few more, then actively prevent new competition from entering the market to trigger antitrust legislation, I'm fairly certain. It's a difficult process and the US government is not really a big fan of enforcing it, especially with Republicans controlling a decent chunk of Congress.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
EA would not be a good buy at all because there is no way that the NFL would want Madden limited to PlayStation, as well as the rest of their sports titles. Take2 and Epic would be much better acquisitions along with Capcom and SE. I would say Bamco, but they have the same issue with EA with licensing out IP's.

I think now should be the time for Sony to just buy a publisher like Capcom, just lock in their IP's from being taken from them. With all these acquisitions, it still sucks that Sony closed their Japan studio, who could have been a small hand in just getting more content out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.