Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
While KojiPro definitely fits Sony like a glove I personally think they need to start patching holes they have with something different than their usual offering. They are trying that with those GAAS studio buyouts but I also think about RPGs.
They don't have a single classic RPG studio, be it western or JP.

Oh most people would agree, but if no RPG studios are selling, then there isn't much they can do about it. Microsoft acquired most of the bigger ones, and there are ones like Larian but they are PC orientated. There isn't even that many japanese indie Studios left, at least ones that would do a reasonably big budget game. I thnk when it comes to RPG's, people either need to hope that Cory Barlogs or Druckmanns next game is fantasy, or Sony creates a studio from scratch.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
While KojiPro definitely fits Sony like a glove I personally think they need to start patching holes they have with something different than their usual offering. They are trying that with those GAAS studio buyouts but I also think about RPGs.

There's one indipendent studio making RPGs and it's Larian, the rest? All the biggest/medium ones were acquired.

There are new studios being built by former BioWare, CDPR devs but i don't think they can ramp up fast enough to start making AAA RPGs.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh most people would agree, but if no RPG studios are selling, then there isn't much they can do about it. Microsoft acquired most of the bigger ones, and there are ones like Larian but they are PC orientated. There isn't even that many japanese indie Studios left, at least ones that would do a reasonably big budget game. I thnk when it comes to RPG's, people either need to hope that Cory Barlogs or Druckmanns next game is fantasy, or Sony creates a studio from scratch.
Outside Larian and maybe more niche JRPG JP devs like Falcom, there really isn't much left as independent. Everyone is getting snatched. There is always option that someone like Naughty Dog tries making a real RPG but I dunno.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Probably, I am mostly curious if people think Miyazaki is driving force behind FromSoft. The only Souls and alikes game he was away from was Dark Souls 2.
Not really, yes Dark Souls II was flawed but in Sekiro he wasn't the only main person in charge and it's one of the best games ever made

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
There isn't any such studio in the market, at least for WRPGs. They could try to start one from scratch but it'll take years and let's be honest no other studio will ever scratch the Bethesda itch.
Alternatively, even if the heinous and oppressive conditions Kojima was working under were half true. Naming the studio after yourself becomes an expression of freedom.
It's just the name, so not a big deal but that logic makes no sense. There are lots of names that can indicate freedom (for the whole studio) without also indicating self-obsession with one person, lol.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I totally agree when she jumps the gun on offering tips, and I think it's more due to whatever parameters they have set up to gauge when those triggers should fire off. I think with further iteration, they'll eventually reach a point where there's a bit more balance, but I don't think it'll ever be to everyone's preference, but there's certainly improvements to be done to the system.

I haven't actually been terribly distracted by her hints, but maybe I just don't pay as much attention to them because I'm usually looking around the environment and piecing things together myself when she chips in, and sometimes I'm like, "Oh, thanks, Aloy," and other times I'm already on my way to solving it, so her hint doesn't bother me anyway because, well, I've already solved it.

I've never designed an open world game before, so I've never really thought much about things like hint systems for world puzzles, and how those systems would need to be designed and considered across players of different play styles. It's definitely interesting to think about, because I'd totally like to design an open world game one day, and I'm currently designing a roguelike (non-work related lol), but I do enjoy talking about those kinds of things from a design perspective.

Yeah I don't think there'll ever be a single implementation that'll satisfy everyone but I'd be interested to see if they're ever able to make something like that an optional feature. I think the idea is really cool of having her guide you though. Before you'd just get a massive button prompt to "JUMP HERE" and the camera would just pan to where you need to go lol Hopefully they find a balance.

Goodluck with the roguelike 👍

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
If PSVR2 will end up not having BC, then I hope that they remaster Astro Bot for it, at least. That game is a timeless masterpiece.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't any such studio in the market, at least for WRPGs. They could try to start one from scratch but it'll take years and let's be honest no other studio will ever scratch the Bethesda itch.

It's just the name, so not a big deal but that logic makes no sense. There are lots of names that can indicate freedom (for the whole studio) without also indicating self-obsession with one person, lol.
Larian Studios isn't owned by anyone, I think? They make great RPGs, though in a more niche space than Bethesda. That being said, I can't really imagine Sony buying them.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If PSVR2 will end up not having BC, then I hope that they remaster Astro Bot for it, at least. That game is a timeless masterpiece.
To save some disappointments, as might as well assume it won't have BC at all until it's actually confirmed.

We all know this is not the first about their own backward-compatible games... 🙄🤷

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Larian I feel wouldn't oppose acquisition under outright condition that their games are PS and PC/Steam on the same day. I also thought about Spiders recently but they are owned by BigBen.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
Wouldn't Larian Studios most likely sell to Tencent since Tencent have a 30% stake rather than any other company if Larian were to sell.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should buy KojiPro and let Kojima make a JRPG. Make a console follow up Boktai where we need to play outside while our controller absorbs sunlight :p

Nov 8, 2017
Larian is never going to sell to Sony - they make PC first RPGs. They will more likely sell to MS, lol.

Tencent already has an investment, not that this would preclude another company getting them.

Hasbro has been expanding quite a lot in videogame development and would be interested - it's unclear if they would be able to offer the right price, but they would definitely be at the negotiating table. They're always happy to have new fantasy IPs to adapt to other mediums, and with Larian making the premiere D&D game on everyone's radar right now, they would totally want them.

Embracer is always a likely candidate, especially for mainland Euro developers whose owners have strong personalities - I could absolutely Swen Vincke being attracted to the company.

And yes of course Microsoft is always going to be a possibility in these discussions.

There's one indipendent studio making RPGs and it's Larian, the rest? All the biggest/medium ones were acquired.

There are new studios being built by former BioWare, CDPR devs but i don't think they can ramp up fast enough to start making AAA RPGs.

I wouldn't say Sony particularly needs a "pure RPG studio". Despite quibbling over the technical definition of "what counts as an RPG?", games like The Witcher, AC Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, Horizon ZD and Skyrim all have strongly overlapping audiences. Securing a company like Larian wouldn't help you make up for the loss of Bethesda. They may both be RPGs but they aren't similar and the audience similarity between the two games isn't very strong. Conversely, I would say Horizon or even something like Ghosts of Tsushima is more likely to satisfy those customers than games from a grognard PC team - even if it's the biggest most mainstream version of that like Larian.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
I expect they will at least offer PSVR2 versions of Astro and Moss Book I & II, which are the most wel reviewed games per meta/opencritic.
There will undoubtedly also be another PSVR Worlds that shows off the capabilities with these neat little experiences (London Studio again?).

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Wonder how would people feel about FromSoft if Miyazaki potentially ever leaves🤔
Gamers:
template-i-dont-want-to-play-with-you-anymore-999-0c6db91aec9c.jpeg

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Sony seems to have added Death Stranding to their PlayStation Studio's banner, something they aren't telling us about Kojima Productions ?

Death Straning runs under the Playstation Studios label. Similar to Haven studios game and every other §rd party publishers Sony game that Sony will publish.

You can see it in the trailer here:

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Death Straning runs under the Playstation Studios label. Similar to Haven studios game and every other §rd party publishers Sony game that Sony will publish.

The reason it's raising eyebrows is that every other entry in the image represents a studio under PS Studios ownership. Death Stranding isn't. Arguably it could represent XDEV, but they must have known that it would raise eyebrows adding a game that's heavily associated with one of the most well known names in gaming.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The thing is that the only scenario sony has used this "hero poster" before is when they acquired Housemarque (And accidentally leaked the Bluepoint acquisition), which added the Returnal and Demon's Souls art, but both of those IPs were already owned by PlayStation prior to the acquistion, at the same time Uncharted, a huge IP isnt there because TLOU Part II is there, the indication is that the poster represents studios, rather than IPs.

Most likely this is just referring to XDev (as they usually take quite some time to update the PlayStation Studios page), but there is some basis for seeing this as a Kojima Productions acquisition.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah crazy that Xbox is even ahead. I guess MS really did pay up.
Again this this does does not paint the big picture here.
332,000 games consoles were sold across European territories last month (data does not include UK or Germany. You can check our UK report here). It's a rise of 14% over the previous month, but a drop of 39% over the same period in 2021.

Nintendo Switch was the most popular console. Switch sales increased 9% compared with March last year.

Xbox Series X and S was the second most-popular console. Both Xbox and PlayStation platforms are suffering from severe stocks shortages
www.gamesindustry.biz

Nintendo Switch was Europe's No.1 console in March | European Monthly Charts

Across Europe, video game sales jumped in March, driven by continued strong sales for Elden Ring, plus a number of big …

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Do not except next gen or PS5 Pro anytime soon. This will be the longest gen in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.