Status
Not open for further replies.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
This really doesn't work for most games nowadays. How do you determine a base starting state at some point in the game? If your trial point is a few hours in, are players just supposed to play for two hours with no context? What about RPGs or games with heavy player customization? If the trial gives everyone a set character to play with, that misrepresents the game.

Like it might work for something like Ratchet and Clank or Sonic with very strict levels, but for open worlds or RPGs or games with heavy player progression systems it doesn't make sense.
I fully agree that a lot of games wouldn't work with only two hours, I mean as far as I can remember Yakuza 7 literally has like an hour of cutscenes to start with.

But I think it's still better than nothing, steam refunds run into the same issues where with some games two hours in gets you barely started, while in other games you're nearly finished, I just hope Sony are flexible with short indies and allowing them to not create a trial if they don't want to

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm currently using a Panasonic TX-43HX580B.

If I was looking to spend around £600 on a new TV for PS5 use mostly, is there any decent options that maintain the 43 inch or more screen size?

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Doesn't make much sense to force developers to create an trial when they just could place the full game on the servers with a 2h time limit. Isn't that what they made with Death Stranding and Sadkboy some months ago?

Could be that devs themselves can choose what part of the game they want to demonstrate, but that alone will require more effort from the team.
I think that's what the trial is? I would assume exactly what they did with Sackboy and Death Stranding.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Doesn't make much sense to force developers to create an trial when they just could place the full game on the servers with a 2h time limit. Isn't that what they made with Death Stranding and Sackboy some months ago?

Could be that devs themselves can choose what part of the game they want to demonstrate, but that alone will require more effort from the team.
I'm going to assume that the trials will be exactly the same as those ones with just an extra option available of the devs putting you anywhere they want to start with

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree that a lot of games wouldn't work with only two hours, I mean as far as I can remember Yakuza 7 literally has like an hour of cutscenes to start with.

But I think it's still better than nothing, steam refunds run into the same issues where with some games two hours in gets you barely started, while in other games you're nearly finished, I just hope Sony are flexible with short indies and allowing them to not create a trial if they don't want to

Yup. Yakuza 7's first hour is almost wall-to-wall cutscenes with a few short battles thrown in for tutorial's sake.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This forum has the ability to turn every news into negative ones lol. I swear if i showed this news to any of my friends they would be ecstatic, yet here i only see people complain. ( Talking about the specific thread )

Oct 25, 2017
Like what CDPR did with Cyberpunk PS5 upgrade - and, to a lesser extent, what Capcom has done with some of their recent RE demos.
Unless there's something really fundamental there in the details I'm missing, it doesn't seem like some huge burden and 'F.U' to devs. Not sure why some people are getting so heated about it in the designated thread.

It's not shocking at all to me anymore. People have to rush and make something bad even though it's good for consumers

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

I will wait to have the "finish" product. I am not saying that in a bad way, but I will never touch infinite mode of Returnal because I lost all muscle memory (this is very demanding) and have so much to play.
Here, I will probably want to play the arena mode.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This forum has the ability to turn every news into negative ones lol. I swear if i showed this news to any of my friends they would be ecstatic, yet here i only see people complain. ( Talking about the specific thread )
In 2022, putting more work on dev while there are alternative (having a real refund strategy) and while taking the money is pure BS, yes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In 2022, putting more work on dev while there are alternative (having a real refund strategy) and while taking the money is pure BS, yes.

Yeah, honestly, this is the truth of it - Sony needs to just wake up and realize that their refund strategy needs to be overhauled from the ground up rather than putting extra work on devs' shoulders like this.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

But this is better than refound since you can try all the game without paying
But i agree that sony have to put a refund policy
So i think they should do both

plow

Oct 28, 2017

How is putting a timer in your game "Extra" Work, dude come one. This is reaching beyond levels.

We can criticize things and still be happy about others.

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
[Hidden content]

New Poll is up.

Some great suggestions this time, well done everyone.

I will wait to have the "finish" product. I am not saying that in a bad way, but I will never touch infinite mode of Returnal because I lost all muscle memory (this is very demanding) and have so much to play.
Here, I will probably want to play the arena mode.

Incredible that they're going to support the game so far into the future. I'm getting the physical copy next week and I think they'll have the Spring update out for then and that's all I'm waiting for before giving Sifu a shot, looking forward to it.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Very glad that the McDonalds name is currently winning

There's very little to indicate that this would result in more work, PlayStation has already had game trials for DS and SackBoy and it was just a system timer that locked you out of the game when it ran out, most devs won't want to put in extra work so they'll just set the start of the game as a trial (even at times when the game probably isn't suitable for that)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I figure that with Yakuza games the best option would be to simply have the trial cover Chapter 1, rather than a specific time length.

The problem with that is that most Yakuza Chapter 1s are, as I said, MOSTLY just cutscenes with some tutorial fights peppered through. You generally don't have full access to free roam until Chapter 2 in most games. A Chapter 1-only Yakuza trial wouldn't accurately represent the core Yakuza experience because while the story is a HUGE PART of these games, the real allure of them is the super-unique combination of deep, character-driven storytelling and player freedom the series does so well.

That said, to my knowledge, a couple of recent Yakuza games have had literal free demos. Lost Judgment's demo was a large chunk of Chapter 1 and basically focused on Yagami's tutorial "investigation" in-game and cut out right after the main plot kicked in, using the first main story cutscene as a teaser for the full game. I have a feeling they designed its Chapter 1 that way on purpose.

Oct 25, 2017

They do need to inroive their refund strategy. That said I'm still all for this. It's better for the consumer and I can't see this being that much of monumental task.

It's already been done before it's just not been mandated. I wouldn't be shocked if something like this leads to more sales in games

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't expect to use the free game trials. I think there's a reason why publishers stopped making them. they don't really improve sales and they're a waste of resources to produce. I would've preferred if Sony had changed their refund policy instead.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
How is putting a timer in your game "Extra" Work, dude come one. This is reaching beyond levels.

We can criticize things and still be happy about others.
There's very little to indicate that this would result in more work, PlayStation has already had game trials for DS and SackBoy and it was just a system timer that locked you out of the game when it ran out, most devs won't want to put in extra work so they'll just set the start of the game as a trial (even at times when the game probably isn't suitable for that)
Excuse me, are you both game devs or IT devs ?

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Actually can't wait to try out Forspoken for two hours lol, it's the game I've been most confused about whether I'm interested in it or not

Also this could be great for multiplayer games like FPS', I can hop in for a few hours to play a couple online matches and see if I'm meshing with the game.

I really don't expect to use the free game trials. I think there's a reason why publishers stopped making them. they don't really improve sales and they're a waste of resources to produce. I would've preferred if Sony had changed their refund policy instead.
Publishers stopped making demos because they helped out consumers more than them

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Sony should have a refund system.

This isn't really a refund system though. They're putting it as a PS+ perk.
There's data that shows that demos/trials hurt game sales.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. A lot of folks will play a game for an hour or two and realize they aren't clicking with it. Right now, those people are basically being screwed over because (especially on PS) it's next to impossible to get your money back for something you aren't really enjoying. Game trials will definitely hurt sales, but they're honestly a boon for the end consumer since it helps us be able to only spend money on the games we actually enjoy.

It's a complicated thing. I won't lie, I generally only buy games at full price if I know in advance I'm going to enjoy them nowadays. I don't take risks with my money anymore, especially if a game is available on Game Pass. There is no upside to me as a consumer paying $70 for a game if I don't know going in that I'm going to like it. If I can get access to a game for no money and decide later on if it's cool for me or not, I'll take that opportunity. Games are too expensive and most of them are too boring to be worth the risk now. I have downloaded so many games on Game Pass and played them for 20 minutes to an hour and then never touched them again.

But I can also see things from the dev/publisher side on this regard, which is to say that oftentimes an hour or even two hours isn't an accurate representation of a game. How do you curate the trial? How do you correctly identify the right time in-game to let people try it out? What if your game's first two hours are extremely front-loaded with story and don't have much gameplay? What if the opposite - what if you start off with a ton of raw gameplay and the story you're super proud of doesn't kick in in full force for several hours? How do you accurately represent a game with a demo, especially nowadays when so many games are open or pseudo-open worlds?

There is no unified solution here that works for consumers and businesses.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno which poll gonna win as some still dumb & hilarious, lol.

But I'm picking the Tighten Graphics Level 3.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not trying to make any correlation between the current 'demo' discussion, but all of this just took my mind back to something.

How many of you here are old enough to remember game publishers being furious at the idea of 'game rentals' back in the late 80s?
It was another 'great for consumers/bad for the publishers' discussion at the time.

youtu.be

Nintendo's Battle Against Video Game Rentals

Learn about Nintendo's battle against the rental industry, including their lawsuit against Blockbuster Video.Some photos courtesy of James B. Eldred - http:/...

^good video/recap for anyone interested.

Man I miss going into a Blockbuster (or, hell, even the grocery store where the games would just be in clear boxes) and renting video games. Then again, I had a lot more free time back when rental stores were booming, lol.
Cycling back around to the primary discussion here regarding Sony's time trial/demo plans, I do hope pubs/devs will get some monetary kick-back from PS+ Premium/Essential/Whatever with this plan. Everyone benefits.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to make any correlation between the current 'demo' discussion, but all of this just took my mind back to something.

How many of you are old enough here to remember game publishers being furious at the idea of 'game rentals' back in the late 80s?
It was another 'great for consumers/bad for the publishers' discussion at the time.

youtu.be

Nintendo's Battle Against Video Game Rentals

Learn about Nintendo's battle against the rental industry, including their lawsuit against Blockbuster Video.Some photos courtesy of James B. Eldred - http:/...

^good video/recap for anyone interested.

Man I miss going into a Blockbuster (or, hell, even the grocery store where the games would just be in clear boxes) and renting video games. Then again, I had a lot more free time back when rental stores were booming, lol.
Cycling back around to the primary discussion here regarding Sony's time trial/demo plans, I do hope pubs/devs will get some monetary kick-back from PS+ Premium/Essential/Whatever with this plan. Everyone benefits.

When I was a kid, Blockbuster (and my other local video rental shop) was my haven. I didn't have the money to buy games most of the time, I regularly saved up for months to get one game at a time with my allowance, but my parents were totally cool with renting games over the weekends so that I had more stuff to play on my SNES and PS1. I played Symphony of the Night so many times that way before I finally bought my own copy.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else just not feeling Forbidden West. The main quest seems to lack a sense of immediacy for me.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
Yup. A lot of folks will play a game for an hour or two and realize they aren't clicking with it. Right now, those people are basically being screwed over because (especially on PS) it's next to impossible to get your money back for something you aren't really enjoying. Game trials will definitely hurt sales, but they're honestly a boon for the end consumer since it helps us be able to only spend money on the games we actually enjoy.

I think what help the pub is that since it s only for the premium not a lot of people will have access to it

ryambo

Jan 31, 2022
Scotland
I don't think you can blanketly look at it and say definitely one way or the other. Some games will benefit, and some will not.
Some bigger games that release broken will be harmed, some smaller games people weren't interested in getting but tried the demo might benefit.
There will be examples in the reverse as well.
I think that's what the trial is? I would assume exactly what they did with Sackboy and Death Stranding.
Yeah that's my understanding anyway.
But I can also see things from the dev/publisher side on this regard, which is to say that oftentimes an hour or even two hours isn't an accurate representation of a game. How do you curate the trial? How do you correctly identify the right time in-game to let people try it out? What if your game's first two hours are extremely front-loaded with story and don't have much gameplay? What if the opposite - what if you start off with a ton of raw gameplay and the story you're super proud of doesn't kick in in full force for several hours? How do you accurately represent a game with a demo, especially nowadays when so many games are open or pseudo-open worlds?

There is no unified solution here that works for consumers and businesses.
Yeah, it's defiantly complicated, and I can see them changing and adjusting it over time, or as devs give feedback with regards to the timings etc.
But I think regardless it's something worth trying.
The industry is changing with the subscription model regardless so I think this is just a baby step in that direction having to grab your attention and keep it.
Interesting middle man approach between the industry as of right now and the service-based direction things are going. Allowing the accessibility and wide catalogue of games you can try, but still ultimately having a buy the games.

I feel pretty confident that if I as a consumer am spending my money on games I am enjoying I think my spending will only go up, as the big concern in getting a new game is the 'will i like it', well if you try it and you do- you buy it. Draining it is the process of getting a game I think ill like then feeling obligated to slog through it to get my value completely ruining my appetite to play more in some instances.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Been having a lot of weird/cool dreams lately ever since I've starting taking anxiety medications. Last night I had a really interesting Horizon related dream where I discovered a huge skip that took me to the last area of the game (I didn't beat it so it was imaginary) and I was trying to share it on Discord. Maybe that means I should go back to Horizon.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Anyone else just not feeling Forbidden West. The main quest seems to lack a sense of immediacy for me.

I think it depends on where in the main quest you are.
Beyond the insane visuals, I wasn't terribly impressed during the first few hours. It gets to a certain point in the story and then it really hit me and I loved it to its conclusion. By the time the credits rolled I had no question in my mind that it was an improvement over Zero Dawn in almost every single way.

Redeagl

Jul 3, 2020
Heya! Long time lurker of the OT and the forum since 2020, had problems with registering my account which were fortunately solved by Angie and the mods!
Excited to be active here from now on

Status
Not open for further replies.