Apr 21, 2022
what does McDonalds mean in the poll, or what is it refering to? xD

reminder-that-sony-owns-a-patent-where-in-order-to-37568585.png

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It's a great feature.

I don't know why people are complaining about this.

It is, but to the point where people think it might be too good to actually works ($).

I'm hoping it's something that's easy for developers to implement, and that Sony has some sort of fair share. Sony really can't start pissing off developers again just because they're the "PlayStation".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Which was a terrible solution because time start the moment you click "Download".
So I don't think this will be the solution.

Lol imagine if they stayed with that. It takes me like four hours to download a full-sized game on my PS5, sometimes longer depending on the file size. That basically makes that kind of trial completely unusable for me.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Which was a terrible solution because time start the moment you click "Download".
So I don't think this will be the solution.
It seemed like a test run, hacked together with ducktape, just to see consumer behaviour and sales impact. The transactional system was probably not designed to have a timestamp of when the download was finished.

They need some data to see how time trials impact sales in the real world. Then they can show real data to publishers. And implement a full system as part of a PS+ tier.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It is, but to the point where people think it might be too good to actually works ($).

I'm hoping it's something that's easy for developers to implement, and that Sony has some sort of fair share. Sony really can't start pissing off developers again just because they're the "PlayStation".

Microsoft demands from every dev to make a Series S version for their games. I'm sure publishers aren't huge fans of that either, but we haven't had any devs skipping that platform because of that.

A time trial is a lot less work than that.

Also, trials for PS+ Premium users probably won't lose publishers as much money as a refund system would.

So, I don't think Sony would be pissing off devs more than other platform holders.

Generally, platform holders do have some power and leverage over their 3rd party partners and from time to time they will use it for the benefit of their consumers.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Anyone else just not feeling Forbidden West. The main quest seems to lack a sense of immediacy for me.
I got 3 Mc Guffin and now need to get the 4th. I am like you.
I love the friendly neighbor Alloy (I am playing every side quest and services) and I don't play a lot so, sometimes, there was two weeks between two main mission. Each time it's weird and feel out of place.

There are two "main" antagonists groups that you see your first 10 or 15 hours. I am close to 60 hours and haven't seen any of them again. And for me, it's a big fail. Oh I even forgot about Sylens, also a subject in the first 10-15 hours and disappear.

That doesn't impact my enjoyment of the game and maybe it will be more clear at the end, but at the moment, it feel like :
  • Story for 10 hours
  • Side content and main missions being mac guffin (which is around, at least, 50 hours for me)
  • Story for the last 5-10 hours

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well, we got some news from Sony this week.

Starting of the week good so far, hope it rolls into early May.

Aww shit. Whats gonne be at Summer Game Fest...

Yeah, he makes a good point. And one I've complained about with Activity Cards and just some other PS5 features overall.

Some are hit or miss, no consistency. Its wild that GTA 5 for PS5 skips the start up logos/splash screens consistently vs first party games. After first boot GTA 5 goes straight to the press x screen. I think it gets reset after an update to the game or uninstalling it.

Miles does it good, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves does too. Maybe Astro does too. Other games, not so much.

And loading from an Activity Card is inconsistent as far a loading speeds. Miles does it good, GTA 5 doesnt for Story mode.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yeah, he makes a good point. And one I've complained about with Activity Cards and just some other PS5 features overall.

Some are hit or miss, no consistency. Its wild that GTA 5 for PS5 skips the start up logos/splash screens consistently vs first party games. After first boot GTA 5 goes straight to the press x screen. I think it gets reset after an update to the game or uninstalling it.

Miles does it good, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves does too. Maybe Astro does too. Other games, not so much.

And loading from an Activity Card is inconsistent as far a loading speeds. Miles does it good, GTA 5 doesnt for Story mode.
Activity Cards have the most potential out of an PS5 feature, I just wish they would standardize them some what. They should have a "Continue from last save" button right next to "Play" in the dashboard and require developers to skip the splashscreens and instantly drop you in your latest save for single player games.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I got 3 Mc Guffin and now need to get the 4th. I am like you.
I love the friendly neighbor Alloy (I am playing every side quest and services) and I don't play a lot so, sometimes, there was two weeks between two main mission. Each time it's weird and feel out of place.

There are two "main" antagonists groups that you see your first 10 or 15 hours. I am close to 60 hours and haven't seen any of them again. And for me, it's a big fail. Oh I even forgot about Sylens, also a subject in the first 10-15 hours and disappear.

That doesn't impact my enjoyment of the game and maybe it will be more clear at the end, but at the moment, it feel like :
  • Story for 10 hours
  • Side content and main missions being mac guffin (which is around, at least, 50 hours for me)
  • Story for the last 5-10 hours
Exactly how I feel. No hook and no narrative urgency, where as with Elden Ring I was playing 13 hour straights.

Redeagl

Jul 3, 2020
Thank you!
Glad you finally joined :D
Thanks again Angie!

Anyone else just not feeling Forbidden West. The main quest seems to lack a sense of immediacy for me.
I personally felt the opposite, though I do agree it didn't have that much of a sense of "immediacy" which allowed me to go through it on my own pace. Really loved how every main quest in FW felt like a "main event" in the game, all killer no filler ( except for a couple quests in the middle). The final third I think have an insane pace, hope you enjoy it more

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

Sucker Punch is looking for a Senior Mission Designer who shares our passion for pushing creative limits and redefining expectations about what games can be. A successful candidate will know how to thread a series of missions together into an engaging tale, be obsessed with making great stories and characters come to life though gameplay and be driven to engage players emotionally.
Our goal with each game is to tell unforgettable stories, expose players to compelling characters, and transport people fully into the game fantasy. The Senior Mission Designer is instrumental to engaging players, enveloping them in the game world and creating the sequences that live on in player's memories. You'll work on quiet emotional moments and bombastic set pieces, knowing that each is just as important in delivering the game vision.
Ultimately, we need someone who can blend it all together while guiding players through the world and the dramatic arc of the story.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I have come to the disappointing conclusion that it is a a complete slog and uninstalled it shortly after recovering the third of three doodads. I loved Zero Dawn a lot but this one just didn't do it for me.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you!

Thanks again Angie!

I personally felt the opposite, though I do agree it didn't have that much of a sense of "immediacy" which allowed me to go through it on my own pace. Really loved how every main quest in FW felt like a "main event" in the game, all killer no filler ( except for a couple quests in the middle). The final third I think have an insane pace, hope you enjoy it more
I'm just not gripped by it.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Thank you!

Thanks again Angie!

The story is designed without this sense of urgency so it makes sense that Alloy can stop for a bit and hunt, play or help other people. They say multiple times that Alloy has several months to solve the problem.

I think it was a good decision, it is always weird when the world it at the brink of destruction and the main character is just fishing.

Redeagl

Jul 3, 2020
Thank you!!

The story is designed without this sense of urgency so it makes sense that Alloy can stop for a bit and hunt, play or help other people. They say multiple times that Alloy has several months to solve the problem.

I think it was a good decision, it is always weird when the world it at the brink of destruction and the main character is just fishing.
Yep, fully agree. It's kinda minor in the bigger picture but really good open world pacing design from Guerrilla there
I had a dream where I was playing Ghost 2 a few nights ago. Wonder whether we could see the reveal cinematic trailer this year 👀

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn VRR is legit. Wish it came sooner but I'm a believer now and I understand why folks were clamoring for it. Only tried DMCV:SE but the high performance mode is sooooo smooth now holy crap.

[Hidden content]

New Poll is up.

"Rumored to be big" gave me quite the chuckle.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting tweet from John from DF above about VRR being at least partially supported for pre-HDMI 2.1 displays. Hopefully it will allay some of the worries that were being expressed in the news thread.

I didn't notice a forced restart, so it looks like Sony deployed this dormant In the previous system software update and then switched it on via a feature toggle.

I've only tried Rift Apart and it seems nice and smooth. I don't trust the FPS readout that I get from the 'hidden' VRR info overlay on my LG CX. It will be nice to get some proper analysis from the DF guys soon.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
I have to be honest. I don't see GoW coming this year. I can see a delay last minute. It it's coming December late November at which point it's been months between major releases.

Im not sure what Sony has planned but their online shows normal fall short.

Going to be an interesting year to say the least.

I do not rule out a delay, too.
I get it from Sonys perspective, too, Sony just released two big first party titles and in the first quarter released other big 3rd party titles like Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars, Dying Light 2, Kirby, Pokemon etc.

So many games, I would be happy to complete Elden Ring and Lego Star Wars in 6 months.
Xenoblade 3 at the end of july, I do not know how.

MS should speak of their lineup around june, too. I think that is one reason looking what your competition has on the hand and have a better picture how logistics and production will be.

In general you see good lineups in quarter and than you see that it just takes time to bring all these heavy hitters and even middle/small games to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.